Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah I’m calling tomorrow

They will decline my cancellation and I’ll eat 10k then rebook rooms in Miami or key west

Fun

The Caribbean, unlike the East/South China sea, might actually be too warm for this to be a problem, especially once we get to march. What's the port of call for your ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

interesting that's it's spreading so much in singapore then

If you do not have air conditioning in Singapore you do not live in Singapore by choice

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i am harry posted:

That’s pretty brave

Goons aren't afraid of staying in a windowless room cut off from human contact for weeks at a time, just pack extra bags of cheetos and a leet gaming laptop

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

cda posted:

You should probably tell them that you will make a stink on every kind of social media if they do not refund

cda posted:

You should probably calmly explain that you are a moderator on something awful, and you can sticky a thread

:lol:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Apparently Beijing just went into partial shutdown a few hours ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f1kh2t/breaking_beijing_closes_all_public_places/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

They announced on Friday that Monday would be business as usual, so this is a very bad omen.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

If that doesn't work, make sure to mention you've already hired a high-power attorney ; Leonard J. Crabs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah I’m calling tomorrow

They will decline my cancellation and I’ll eat 10k then rebook rooms in Miami or key west

Fun

don't cancel your drat cruise because of a bunch of overhyped goons burt

like by march this will either be safely contained in china, or the cruise line will be calling you to cancel

unless it's mrs sexual who is freaked out and wants to not go

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1226735685228531712

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Don’t cancel. We need boots on the ground. Post from the ghost ship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everyone on that ship is going to get it at this point, how would they not

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Uhhhhhhh that ship is now around 3.5% infected

Good luck New Jersey

poty fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 10, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beijing is going into quarantine mode over this virus that they have been unable to contain but sure go ahead and go on your international trip lol nothing to worry about

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Beijing is going into quarantine mode over this virus that they have been unable to contain but sure go ahead and go on your international trip lol nothing to worry about

He is going to the Caribbean, so it will be fine. Unless he is still going to cancel, in which case my offer(25 big ones) is still open.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
This is literally just China's version of 9/11 and the patriot act. Even if it wasn't a planned act originally, lol if you think its not being intensely studied and used as an opportunity.

They want to:

- Gauge their ability to flex on society in the event of a crisis
- Gauge the extent they are able to impose total municipal lockdown
- Gauge society's response to being flexed on more than usual
- Gauge other countries' reactions to china flexing
- Gauge global response to extremely transmissible and hyped biological agents.

May also be a distraction from Hong Kong

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

toggle posted:

How's africa?

Africa has some weird poo poo going down.

The dude who was the head of a Canadian biolab when the Chinese walked out the door with some of their bugs turned up dead in Africa.

And Nigeria is reporting a new disease that kills you in 48 hours from symptom onset with such fun side effects as fever, vomiting, bloating and diarrhea.

And this is on top of the plague of locusts they already had.

2020, folks. What the HELL?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone tried to gently caress a locust

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A nice debunking of the "THESE SO2 HEAT MAPS ARE PROOF THAT CHINA IS BURNING MILLIONS OF CORPSES"

https://twitter.com/AppleHelix/status/1226347594013605889?fbclid=IwAR17udAHj8OklSPMJsklFsKQjl6SnV3Lyd2xKXZiySU9Q4D-x5Nylsx1HX8

In short, as many in this thread surmised, A) there are alternative explanations that better-explain that data and B) that data actually came from forecasts, not historical data, and these forecasts are explicitly listed as "experimental"

Further reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f19uc8/debunking_the_burning_bodies_sulphur_sulfur/

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
As I recall, the SO2 investigator himself originally said 'Wait, no, I was wrong.' several days ago. And things kept on trucking in spite of that, because of course.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s the reason for leaving those people on the Tokyo ship and contaminating one another as opposed to letting them disembark and be quarantined?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Here you go for a cite for sars

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863430/

Interpolate for 40 c and 20 c ok

Humidity real important too

From the paper: Overall, both viruses were inactivated more rapidly at 40°C than at 20°C. At 20% RH, both viruses survived for up to 5 days. In contrast, the length of survival at 50% RH was 24 h for MHV and <12 h for TGEV, and the length of survival for both viruses at 80% RH was <6 h.

It’s a lot less but it’s still going to linger a long while. Also if it’s 40 degrees outside people will go to where it is cooler.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Surviving the fever should mean you're safe, gently caress

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Vegetable posted:

What’s the reason for leaving those people on the Tokyo ship and contaminating one another as opposed to letting them disembark and be quarantined?

Where would you quarantine them?

A boat or hulk parked off-shore is basically the perfect spot to begin with, and if you pick the boat that they're already on you get to dodge the hassle of trying to move everyone and their belongings while avoiding cross-contamination.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Gearhead posted:

The dude who was the head of a Canadian biolab when the Chinese walked out the door with some of their bugs turned up dead in Africa.

Lol at linking to ZeroHedge.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51317386

quote:

The researcher died while in Kenya to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a research collaboration between the University of Manitoba and University of Nairobi, reportedly of a heart attack.

Just over a year ago, Dr Plummer had chosen to participate in a surgical trial for experimental brain surgery to treat his alcoholism and had spoken about the positive results.

The procedure, called deep brain stimulation (DBS), was being conducted in North America for the first time for otherwise untreatable alcohol addiction at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital.

Dr Plummer said the surgery had given him a new lease on life after a series of health problems had forced him to confront his battle with alcohol addiction.

A 67 year old guy with severe alcoholism and a series of health problems dies. :iiam:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
First link I could find in short order, eh whatever. But he's also not the first scientist involved with research into bugs of this sort that's dropped dead in the past couple of weeks who weren't in China. Of a heart attack no less.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

UK government has had to declare the virus a “serious and imminent threat” to public health because some tosser they evac’d from Wuhan has decided quarantine just isn’t for him and was threatening to break out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-51442314

quote:

The UK government has announced tougher powers to keep people in quarantine to stop the spread of coronavirus.

In order to do this the Department of Health has described the virus as a "serious and imminent threat" to public health.

The overall risk level to the UK remains "moderate".

There have been more than 40,000 cases of the virus globally, mostly in China, with four so far in the UK.

The total number of deaths in China is now 908 - but the number of newly-infected people per day has stabilised.

A Department of Health spokesman said: "We are strengthening our regulations so we can keep individuals in supported isolation for their own safety and if public health professionals consider they may be at risk of spreading the virus to other members of the public.

"This measure will rightly make it easier for health professionals to help keep people safe across the country."

The BBC's political correspondent Iain Watson said the new measures were announced because a passenger on the first UK flight from Wuhan, who is currently being held in quarantine on the Wirral, "is threatening to abscond".

"Currently the regulations are not strong enough to stop him leaving before the 14-day period is up so they brought in these new regulations to try and compel him to stay put," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

On Sunday, around 200 British and foreign nationals arrived on the second and final flight chartered to the UK from Wuhan by the Foreign Office. Evacuees were taken to a Milton Keynes conference centre for 14 days of quarantine.

Meanwhile, a fourth person was diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK on Sunday, having caught the virus in France.

In a statement on Monday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Arrowe Park Hospital, on the Wirral, and Kents Hill Park conference centre, in Milton Keynes, have been designated as "isolation" facilities in the UK.

A statement on the Department of Health website said: "In accordance with Regulation 3, the Secretary of State declares that the incidence or transmission of novel coronavirus constitutes a serious and imminent threat to public health, and the measures outlined in these regulations are considered as an effective means of delaying or preventing further transmission of the virus."

The BBC's health editor Hugh Pym said the announcement "gives the legal underpinning to the quarantining of people back from Wuhan in Milton Keynes and the Wirral".

The new virus was first reported in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province. The city of 11 million has been in lockdown for weeks.

The outbreak was declared a global emergency by the WHO on 30 January.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Also four more people in Brighton (the Wuhan of the UK) have been diagnosed with the virus bringing the total up to 8 in the UK.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/10/coronavirus-uk-declares-outbreak-serious-threat-to-health

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't want to alarm anyone but I think I may be getting a sore throat?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You're fine then. It attacks lower respiratory system. Sore throat wasn't one of the symptoms. Be more worried if sudden fatigue, shortness of breath, and fever.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Report to your quarantine cube immediately

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I don’t think I’d mind being an early case in the west because if we’re all looking like getting it anyway might as well get it over and done with before all the hospital beds fill up.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Is is too simplistic to say that this thing will only kill the already weak or those with underlying health issues?

Or if the opposite, let's say I am a very fit and healthy 40 year old who has never smoked and only has the odd drink 1-2 nights a week - how is this thing going to kill me?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Chrs posted:

I don’t think I’d mind being an early case in the west because if we’re all looking like getting it anyway might as well get it over and done with before all the hospital beds fill up.

Quick, anyone else in the west go out and get it now before the rush.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

Is is too simplistic to say that this thing will only kill the already weak or those with underlying health issues?

Or if the opposite, let's say I am a very fit and healthy 40 year old who has never smoked and only has the odd drink 1-2 nights a week - how is this thing going to kill me?

It can send anyone to the ICU. There is no certainty, only probabilities.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

kaesarsosei posted:

its just the flu dude

if the regular flu wouldn't kill you then this wont either

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

its just the flu dude

Regular flu kills healthy young people too. Not many but it happens

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/health/flu-ohio-teen-kaylee-roberts-death-eprise/index.html

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 10, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

That is too simplistic to say. The Hero Doctor, Li Wenliang, who originally tried to raise the alarm for this illness and died recently, was a healthy 34 year-old. China has air quality issues that may exacerbate respiratory issues, but so do many US cities, and it's unclear whether that matters at all to symptoms caused by this virus; if air quality was the primary issue then you'd expect a lot more young people would need ICU care.

That said, of the people who developed viral pneumonia in Wuhan hospitals most of them were elderly, according to reports looking at the earliest cases. And anecdotal reports from within China are that it's mostly elderly people who need medical help, but not always.

For the purposes of this virus, "underlying health issues" could mean "did you recover from seasonal cold or flu in the last 2 weeks". But even that's too much to say this early on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fartbox posted:

its just the flu dude

Early estimates suggest that it kills at a rate that's 10-100x higher than regular flu, assuming perfect availability of care.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

QuarkJets posted:

Early estimates suggest that it kills at a rate that's 10-100x higher than regular flu, assuming perfect availability of care.

I don't think that dude has any interest in a discussion about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

How many people outside of china have died?