Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It was risky to run the candidates they had considering a week ago the media was saying they probably won’t do as well as they were polling due to their lower preference and toxicity to transfers.

Had they run this many and lost seats as the council elections indicated they would have appeared fools for not running less.

Point being I guess, the media shouldn’t be listened to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah wikipedia has given me the impression that it is Complicated.

"It's Complicated" should just be printed on the flag at this point

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Pretty sure SF ran more candidates in the last election and it definitely ended up hurting them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Pretty sure SF ran more candidates in the last election and it definitely ended up hurting them.

Out of curiosity, how? Do people not give all their top ranks to the same party? That's wild if you want those guys to get in.

And even if they don't, can the party not publish a guide to who should get 1st preference out of their candidates?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

Out of curiosity, how? Do people not give all their top ranks to the same party? That's wild if you want those guys to get in.

And even if they don't, can the party not publish a guide to who should get 1st preference out of their candidates?

If you don't have a really good transfer strategy you end up splitting your votes across candidates and they end up losing out. It really only works if you can get one candidate well over the quota and then transfer down to a second candidate. If you end up with a split then both are below the quota and getting transfers is a crap-shoot. The discipline just wasn't there. I also don't think the country was ready at that point. I think there are a lot more first time sinn fein voters this time around.

Here's some examples from 2016

https://www.irishtimes.com/election-2016/dublin-south-central
https://www.irishtimes.com/election-2016/dublin-bay-north

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 10, 2020

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

It's strange as SF are really good at transfer management in the north

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Maybe it's more to do with being less transfer friendly down here. I find people in the south are quite hypocritical about Sinn Fein in general, where they'll insist that they get equal representation up north but you couldn't elect one down here because they're all terrorists.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

clear eyes full farts posted:

It's strange as SF are really good at transfer management in the north

this election went beyond what anyone expected for them, i think. even the exit poll somehow ended up underestimating SF support - they were playing it safe in a high-uncertainty situation.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol getting up to speed on what happened overnight and looking like the SocDems could hit 6 and Labour 5 - merger may be off the cards

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Off chance Ged Nash could get back in for Louth but he's only ahead of the Greens by less than 700 votes and there's 2k sitting on a Sol-PBP candidate further down the running, if their transfers split more green (which may be likely) hell probably get pipped to a third centre-left seat

Does look like O Riordain will make it back in so may be an obvious leadership contender to counter AK-47 if Howlin is made to go

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

lemonadesweetheart posted:

If you don't have a really good transfer strategy you end up splitting your votes across candidates and they end up losing out. It really only works if you can get one candidate well over the quota and then transfer down to a second candidate. If you end up with a split then both are below the quota and getting transfers is a crap-shoot. The discipline just wasn't there. I also don't think the country was ready at that point. I think there are a lot more first time sinn fein voters this time around.

Here's some examples from 2016

https://www.irishtimes.com/election-2016/dublin-south-central
https://www.irishtimes.com/election-2016/dublin-bay-north

Wait a minute.

You have a top down distribution of 2nd preferences? (Winners shed their extra votes?)

Instead of more traditional bottoms up, where losers votes are redistributed one by one, until only winners are left.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

adhuin posted:

Wait a minute.

You have a top down distribution of 2nd preferences? (Winners shed their extra votes?)

Instead of more traditional bottoms up, where losers votes are redistributed one by one, until only winners are left.

It's both I think. Yup confirmed.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/proportional_representation.html#ld4f62

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

adhuin posted:

Wait a minute.

Every constituency has multiple seats - a quota is calculated which is (votes/available seats +1) +1.

Anyone who goes over this quota has a surplus, all votes over this surplus are then transferred to other candidates - you knock out the lowest ranking candidates after surpluses are redistributed or if there are none to redistribute.

Not everyone goes over quota and usually in the closing stages of a count it's all just a matter of knocking out people at the bottom

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

adhuin posted:

Wait a minute.

Yes we use STV, not FPTP, and it's good

E: as already stated, the loser votes get rolled in at the end

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Today I am ashamed of my country, a vast number of whose voters have intentionally or unwittingly just endorsed a fascist party. This reminds many who know Sinn Fein as puppets of the IRA Army Council of Germany in 1932, when the Nazi party became the largest in parliament: Hitler became Chancellor in January 1933 and wasted no time in establishing his brutal dictatorship.
Literally "They won a lot of votes. You know who else won a lot of votes?"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes we use STV, not FPTP, and it's good
You can have STV systems without redistribution of 2nd prefs from winners, just last place eliminated and recount. That doesn't make it FPTP.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You can have STV systems without redistribution of 2nd prefs from winners, just last place eliminated and recount. That doesn't make it FPTP.

Sure, fine. But we don't do that, and it's not usually what people are talking about when they big up STV

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’m glad I don’t live in Willies constituency because I’d vote for him :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sure, fine. But we don't do that, and it's not usually what people are talking about when they big up STV

Still a far cry from fptp

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Just for added extra electoral geekery notes, if your go over the qouta on the first count your entire vote is rechecked and second Prefs counted and votes distributed proportionally based on that.

But on all subsequent counts if a candidate goes over quota only the votes that put them over are looked at and redistributed.

Just to add more complexity to it this is slightly different than how STV is ran in Northern Ireland where if a candidate goes over quota ALL their votes are always recounted and distributed proportional, means we wind up with weird fractional vote values

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How do they calculate the calculate the threshold btw

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

How do they calculate the calculate the threshold btw

Total votes divided by seats +1 or something like that.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

This from the women who essentially boiled the English occupation down to the Irish hitting themselves.

It's gas how many of the Gammon chuds come out of the woodwork.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 10, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What’s minimum seats to form govt as well actually?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Miftan posted:

If their votes are evenly distributed you can have situations where both are doing well but not enough to get elected, but too well to get eliminated and have their transfers pass to the remaining party candidate.

EmmyOk posted:

What’s minimum seats to form govt as well actually?

160 seats to fill, I think it's 80 to form a government, or maybe 81.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

80 seats. The Dail added two extra seats this election.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I've not watched this but it might help:

https://youtu.be/Au607qFvd4g

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You can form a government with less than the majority so I'm not sure there is a minimum as long as everyone else agrees to it, like the last one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay cool! That all makes sense. Wasn’t sure if it was a simple majority or super plus ya heard this gov called minority.

Wonder if the bookies are doing odds on the formation

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Of course they are lol

https://www.paddypower.com/politics/ireland-next-general-election

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Paddy Power odds on politics is just this one lad in head office who's super into it. There's nothing more than "Gerry on the third floor's gut feeling" setting these numbers.

Guavanaut posted:

Literally "They won a lot of votes. You know who else won a lot of votes?"
She also trashed Ken Loach for The Wind That Shakes The Barley for a Daily Mail article back when it came out, and later admitted that she hadn't seen the film yet. She then stated that she was never going to and yet people still take her seriously.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

quote:

Today I am ashamed of my country, a vast number of whose voters have intentionally or unwittingly just endorsed a fascist party.

But people didn't vote for FG.
Oh you mean SF are the Fascist party, not the political party that actually has it's roots in Fascist ideology. So you are just a moron. Carry on.

In other news, Kevin "Boxer" Moran tears are delicious.

https://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-boxer-moran-2-5000223-Feb2020/

My constituency of Kildare North is having some interesting results.

Claire Murphy for the SD's has handily been elected, and it looks like the SF candidate will be the next in.

But the other two slots are all over the place. It was looking like Frank O Rourke would get in for FF. Then it turned around to James Lawless for FF (who I went to the Inns with.)
Now it has shifted to the FG candidate, so it's a vicious enough three way fight.
It's a bit sad that the Green Party candidate didn't get in, but maybe next time.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 10, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

quote:

Today I am ashamed of my country, a vast number of whose voters have intentionally or unwittingly just endorsed a fascist party.

But people didn't vote for FG.
Oh you mean SF are the Fascist party, not the political party that actually has it's roots in Fascist ideology. So you are just a moron. Carry on.

In other news, Kevin "Boxer" Moran tears are delicious.

https://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-boxer-moran-2-5000223-Feb2020/

Yeah, someone is pushing the fascist line hard, that's the third I have heard it pushed.

If there is a repeat election what is to bet that the idea that SF is the new scare line.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I just saw on ISF that Gemma O Doherty is now claiming that Mary Lou McDonald is a sleeper FF agent.

So that is hilarious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1226854880842846209?s=21

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

EmmyOk posted:

I’m glad I don’t live in Willies constituency because I’d vote for him :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4ure_GSHw

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

FF-FG coalition propped up by independents does seem like it'd set the stage for a full-blown SF breakthrough as a main party of government

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

V. Illych L. posted:

FF-FG coalition propped up by independents does seem like it'd set the stage for a full-blown SF breakthrough as a main party of government

It would finally take the mask off and openly admit that civil war politics are dead and that Ireland has a left/right divide just like everywhere else. so yes.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

It would finally take the mask off and openly admit that civil war politics are dead and that Ireland has a left/right divide just like everywhere else. so yes.

I do sometimes get a chuckle from people talking up SF as the end of civil war politics while they cosplay as volunteers in slouch hats and drive horse drawn carriage around while tweeting photos demonstrating they represent the real revolutionary continuity from 1918

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I know the type play acting as Countess Markievicz. No one ever cosplays the O' Rahilly bleeding out in a gutter.