Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MetaJew posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke? The water heater is literally a volcano.

We stayed at a ridiculously expensive ryokan in Hakone, Japan a few years ago that had personal hotspring-fed tubs in each room, and then a set of public baths. Both were very very pretty, and really relaxing to soak in.

Public bath:

This looks insanely cool (or hot I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Bloop posted:

kull wahad!

lmao

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This looks insanely cool (or hot I guess)

I 100% recommend spending a day/night at a ryokan in Hakone.

That was a particularly expensive outing because I also rented a R34 Skyline GT-R and did a full-day driving tour with Fun2Drive Japan. That cost me about $500. One night in the "cheapest" room at the ryokan we stayed at was about $700 USD with half board. So that was a multi-course Kaiseki dinner and then a traditional Breakfast. The dinner was exquisite. The breakfast was way more food than me or my fiance could eat.

If you were to do a trip like that I would recommend spending a full day in Hakone and night at a ryokan and then doing Fun2Drive the next day. Because the driving tour went late, and then an accident in the canyon road turned a 10 minute drive into an hour, we didn't get to truly enjoy the ryokan, bath houses, etc.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan is full of onsens and public baths, it's nice and good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sometimes I wish public baths and stuff were more of a thing in the US.

Then I think about how often I'd want to claw my eyes out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

MetaJew posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke? The water heater is literally a volcano.

We stayed at a ridiculously expensive ryokan in Hakone, Japan a few years ago that had personal hotspring-fed tubs in each room, and then a set of public baths. Both were very very pretty, and really relaxing to soak in.

Public bath:

Hakone is gorgeous, we stayed at an inexpensive Ryokan that had 2 private baths, was amazing.

Ours was 184AUD a night with a gorgeous view.

Very easy to do Hakone on the cheap, as well as the rest of Japan.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 7, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Megabound posted:

Hakone is gorgeous, we stayed at an inexpensive Ryokan that had 2 private baths, was amazing.

Ours was 184AUD a night with a gorgeous view.

Very easy to do Hakone on the cheap, as well as the rest of Japan.

This is true. The ryokan was a splurge. After that, we went to Hiroshima and stayed in like a $50/night Airbnb near Peace Park and had probably the best meal I've ever had in a small hole in the wall restaurant that only did omakase.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I want to go to Japan but only for the onsens. Just a tour of hot springs and baths and maybe that water park where you get to bathe in tea and wine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I want to go to Japan but only for the onsens. Just a tour of hot springs and baths and maybe that water park where you get to bathe in tea and wine.

I want to see some of that bukkake theatre.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go to Beppu!!!.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I want to hotbox a pod hotel pod.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want to stay in a small, cramped room for more than a week before discovering a luxury suite obscured behind the paper screens.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Time to watch some more Terrace House!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So that cheap 70s / 80s 8x4 basement wood panel sheets that used to be abundant at home Depot / Menards places no longer seems to be.

Anyone know where to get it? I want to toss it on one wall in a retro themed room where I may additionally add shag carpet, but perhaps just as a rug.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This 1910 Beaux Arts mansion has so many gorgeous details but I am just going to post the fireplaces. The 9 fireplaces and there are probably more that the listing isn't showing.

hmm yes this is a great photo to use in an ad for a $900k house

It's almost a crime that they didn't get a decent photographer.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

falz posted:

So that cheap 70s / 80s 8x4 basement wood panel sheets that used to be abundant at home Depot / Menards places no longer seems to be.

Anyone know where to get it? I want to toss it on one wall in a retro themed room where I may additionally add shag carpet, but perhaps just as a rug.
Still available at all the big box stores near me. Depot keeps it by all their trimwork. If your local store truly doesn't carry it, I'm sure you can order it and have it delivered to your local store for free.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

This 1910 Beaux Arts mansion has so many gorgeous details but I am just going to post the fireplaces. The 9 fireplaces and there are probably more that the listing isn't showing.
It's almost a crime that they didn't get a decent photographer.

So if that's a 1910 house, are those columns on the front solid stone/concrete? Or are they some kind of facade over steel or wood posts?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Stealing this yospost from the yospos.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i just saw this on boingboing and i dunno how i've never heard of this place but it is 100% pure distilled prime yospos

https://the-haunted-closet.blogspot.com/2020/01/awhatukee-house-of-future-1980-1984.html?m=1

peep this logo my friends

gentlemen we have hit peak epcot

plenty more pics and info at the link

God I want that conversation pit. This diamond and triangle ceiling windows!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That owns.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

this place seems to have one room of every style
i like the chopping board wall

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PROPERTY TAXES ARE $12,380!!!

God, taxes in NJ reeeaaaalllllllyyyy suck

falz
Jan 29, 2005

That seems really cheap for a 2mil house

In my flyover state house, it's about $6k for a $300k house

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

falz posted:

That seems really cheap for a 2mil house

In my flyover state house, it's about $6k for a $300k house

Agreed. Although it is weird to make that the first thing you put in a listing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Looked up tax rate there, looks like it should be more like $50k. Maybe that's why it's first, some super tax deal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Our property tax is like 500 euros a year.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Property taxes sometimes remain flat for decades, then leap up to modern rates after a major rennovation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mine are $10k for $325k house (valued more around $425k now) outside of Philly which is comparably high to the towns with lovely school districts but that’s basically what we’re paying for.

My mother in law is moving down here and wants to be in the same town as us and for some reason we can’t make her understand that there’s no reason to pay the extra $6k in taxes without kids in school.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That’s easily less than 1% of the assessed value, that’s dirt cheap pretty much anywhere in the US.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What really sucks is living somewhere that the local government hasn’t got enough money to maintain infrastructure and public services.

That seems eminently reasonable for a mansion like that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

PROPERTY TAXES

falz posted:

$6k for a $300k house

peanut posted:

Property taxes

The Dave posted:

extra $6k in taxes

lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Haha renters don't pay those because landlords definitely don't pass the costs along lmao loving idiots

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

because of the high degree of local autonomy and jurisdictional fragmentation in the american system of government, the major source of local city/county funding is property taxes. nearly all of this goes to schools, and a little bit left over goes to public services, emergency response, some utilities, etc.

The Bloop posted:

Haha renters don't pay those because landlords definitely don't pass the costs along lmao loving idiots

i've always appreciated times when folks who like to vacantly complain about undocumented people leeching off public services would start whining about how they don't even pay into the school system, as renters

i guess they also buy groceries at 0 sales tax too, somehow

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

His Divine Shadow posted:

You just pay municipal tax on income instead.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
People paying upwards of $1000 a month in rent laughing at home owners paying a couple thousand a year in taxes will never not be funny.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

there wolf posted:

People paying upwards of $1000 a month in rent laughing at home owners paying a couple thousand a year in taxes will never not be funny.
Either group laughing at eachother is dumb, because they both want wildly different things out of their living situation.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

Either group laughing at eachother is dumb, because they both want wildly different things out of their living situation.

So they should both be crying about their life choices and the meaninglessness of their lives!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

True, though usually it's 'renting is just throwing money down a hole' economic puffery on the homeowners side, rather than thinking they're getting out of some financial obligation the other has to deal with.

The real reason buying a home is infinitely superior in every way is, if you fall down on the mortgage and the bank take your house, you can stick them with having to sell stuff like this

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Sometimes it's a shame we aren't scrolling upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy