Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finished this game just now and it was definitely a ride and GOTY. It ended fairly disastrously but I guess it mostly worked out. On the night before the last day I managed to fail the 97%(!!!!) check to warn Kim and he took a bullet for me, and I refused Cuno's help because as much fun as it would be, taking a junior druggie seemed like the worst of all ideas. It made the endgame pretty lonely but I let it ride to the end. I might go back and try again though just to bring Kim with this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Glagha posted:

I finished this game just now and it was definitely a ride and GOTY. It ended fairly disastrously but I guess it mostly worked out. On the night before the last day I managed to fail the 97%(!!!!) check to warn Kim and he took a bullet for me, and I refused Cuno's help because as much fun as it would be, taking a junior druggie seemed like the worst of all ideas. It made the endgame pretty lonely but I let it ride to the end. I might go back and try again though just to bring Kim with this time.

If you take cuno to the end, he rehabilitates, you save his life and becomes a model cop. Sorry, you hosed up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Buddy, that's not the only thing I hosed up.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
How does the Phasmid stuff play out with Cuno instead of Kim?

e: sorry bout that

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 9, 2020

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TommyGun85 posted:

How does the Phasmid stuff play out with Cuno instead of Kim?

Cuno won't have a camera so you don't have proof.

e: spoilering the quote too

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 8, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yo there's new peeps itt, you two should probably spoiler that stuff

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Total amount of passive checks in the game (with graphs)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm surprised Encyclopedia has so few, given that passive checks are kind of its whole thing. I guess the thing to consider is that raw number of passive checks does not necessarily inform how meaningful that interaction is. Like Inland Empire has a ton of passive checks but a lot of the time it doesn't say very much.

(Also I'm curious now as to what the single 20+ difficulty passive check for Perception is, since apparently it's the only one in the game that requires that much skill)

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm surprised Encyclopedia has so few, given that passive checks are kind of its whole thing. I guess the thing to consider is that raw number of passive checks does not necessarily inform how meaningful that interaction is. Like Inland Empire has a ton of passive checks but a lot of the time it doesn't say very much.

(Also I'm curious now as to what the single 20+ difficulty passive check for Perception is, since apparently it's the only one in the game that requires that much skill)

there are also antipassive checks, where you get dialogue if your skill is below a certain level.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main thing to really blow cash on is drugs/booze since they are consumable. I think you can get more than enough cash to buy literally every non-consumable item in the game. I guess you could also slowly spend it all on your hotel bill every night although you'd have to be deliberately ignoring the free shack after day 3.

i didnt want to be too far from kim :frogbon:

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
Just finished the game a couple days ago. The writing was generally amazing and I liked the ending overall (although I was hoping for a more solvable murder mystery, rather than the killer kinda just being pulled out of the blue at the last minute) but I was thrown off by the fact that the only good (or maybe only, period? I'm not sure how it pans out if you screw up a lot) ending has you return to/remain being a cop. My impression was that the game was spelling out all the way through how destructive police work is for Harry and how it brings out the worst in him - you can read the case files about some of the awful, violent poo poo he did in the past, and most of the time you invoke your authority in during the game itself it leads to violence or meaningless ego affirmation. Actually performing your duties like you're meant to ends up causing a lot of bad outcomes, like getting Ruby and Klaasje killed, and some of the most powerful moments of healing or making the world a better place come from actively doing stuff a cop isn't meant to be doing, like giving Cuno the drugs so he can join your party later, or participating in setting up the dance club.

Combined with the late-game revelation that Dora was the one who talked him into joining the RCM in the first place and that he coped with her leaving by throwing himself violently into his work, it felt like it was building to a lesson that, even though Harry can be a good cop, that's not the same as being a good person, and that the best thing for him is to leave. But then it just kinda uncritically has him leap back into the thing that hosed him up to begin with, without it even being a choice?

I dunno, I'm surprised I haven't really seen this take around, since it felt very dissonant for me. It also seemed strange how a game that was so overtly left-wing in its politics seemed to be romanticizing the police. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 9, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Glagha posted:

Buddy, that's not the only thing I hosed up.

I felt really bad to discover that I let Elizabeth get killed in the showdown. She did absolutely nothing wrong and got murdered by some rent a cops for no reason

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Twin Peaks: The Return is both overtly left-wing and romanticizes the police.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Dick posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return is both overtly left-wing and romanticizes the police.

a classic case of mixed consciousness

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

PoorWeather posted:

I dunno, I'm surprised I haven't really seen this take around, since it felt very dissonant for me. It also seemed strange how a game that was so overtly left-wing in its politics seemed to be romanticizing the police. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

There is a lot of hinting at the unit planning to participate in an insurgency. Which vastly changes the character of staying in the force.

Also, the RCM is more of an imagining of alternative form of policing (for example the RCM is the publicly-controlled alternative to being policed by the Moralintern). Although Kim mentions that some officers engage in more 'traditional' policework in his district.

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 9, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

PoorWeather posted:

Just finished the game a couple days ago. The writing was generally amazing and I liked the ending overall (although I was hoping for a more solvable murder mystery, rather than the killer kinda just being pulled out of the blue at the last minute) but I was thrown off by the fact that the only good (or maybe only, period? I'm not sure how it pans out if you screw up a lot) ending has you return to/remain being a cop. My impression was that the game was spelling out all the way through how destructive police work is for Harry and how it brings out the worst in him - you can read the case files about some of the awful, violent poo poo he did in the past, and most of the time you invoke your authority in during the game itself it leads to violence or meaningless ego affirmation. Actually performing your duties like you're meant to ends up causing a lot of bad outcomes, like getting Ruby and Klaasje killed, and some of the most powerful moments of healing or making the world a better place come from actively doing stuff a cop isn't meant to be doing, like giving Cuno the drugs so he can join your party later, or participating in setting up the dance club.

Combined with the late-game revelation that Dora was the one who talked him into joining the RCM in the first place and that he coped with her leaving by throwing himself violently into his work, it felt like it was building to a lesson that, even though Harry can be a good cop, that's not the same as being a good person, and that the best thing for him is to leave. But then it just kinda uncritically has him leap back into the thing that hosed him up to begin with, without it even being a choice?

i think you misread some things

or made questionable decisions but thought that was the right/only way to do it

for instance giving cuno drugs is not the only way by any means to "get on his good side" and you can talk him over even if you get the drugs for him (out of his household) and still tell him youre not going to give them to him cause he needs to quit. I think the only way to really get him on a straight and narrow is some specific endgame circumstances but if you do a slamdunk job with the corpse and autopsy you'll win his respect just from that.

the dance club you can justify to kim that it was getting the kids off the freezing bay and somewhere warm, and though unconventional it does lead to some pretty big revelations.

killing ruby isnt the only option if you can pass the checks, and even kim will be like yeah it's for the best we let her go. one of the dozen only hard endstates is letting ruby killing herself and then harry just going gently caress it i quit this job iirc. these hard failstates only are possible by like, actually getting killed or by shooting kids so that tells you how serious screwing up that interaction is

i think the most important thing is the RCM's character is kind of different from regular real world police, and you're given a wide discretion in solving matters but you also operate pretty much on an informal agreement with the local population because of RCM's revolutionary background but also that there really isn't a "government" still in Revachol.

that and harry going off the background revealed that he's a weird cop but also a surprisingly effective one (probably one of the best tbh) until all the drugs and depression hosed him up

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright (end of game spoilers)

When I was doing my list for GotY this was on my list even though I hadn't beaten it. I called the world 'hopeless'. Somebody said...something about that not necessarily being the case. I don't know what it was, it was in a spoiler. But it's a world dominated by megalithic capital interests where human thought erodes the very fabric of reality. I'm not sure how much more hopeless you can possibly get than this setting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

When I was doing my list for GotY this was on my list even though I hadn't beaten it. I called the world 'hopeless'. Somebody said...something about that not necessarily being the case. I don't know what it was, it was in a spoiler. But it's a world dominated by megalithic capital interests where human thought erodes the very fabric of reality. I'm not sure how much more hopeless you can possibly get than this setting.

It's not clear from this post whether you've actually beaten it yet, or what content you may have missed along the way. Did you do all the church stuff? Are you asking for spoilers?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wafflecopper posted:

It's not clear from this post whether you've actually beaten it yet, or what content you may have missed along the way. Did you do all the church stuff? Are you asking for spoilers?

I did the Church stuff. Did I miss something other than 'there is a hole in the universe on this very spot and it could expand and devour us at any moment' And yes I have now beaten it.

Yeah I guess I didn't phrase that very well.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Berke Negri posted:

i think you misread some things

or made questionable decisions but thought that was the right/only way to do it

for instance giving cuno drugs is not the only way by any means to "get on his good side" and you can talk him over even if you get the drugs for him (out of his household) and still tell him youre not going to give them to him cause he needs to quit. I think the only way to really get him on a straight and narrow is some specific endgame circumstances but if you do a slamdunk job with the corpse and autopsy you'll win his respect just from that.

the dance club you can justify to kim that it was getting the kids off the freezing bay and somewhere warm, and though unconventional it does lead to some pretty big revelations.

killing ruby isnt the only option if you can pass the checks, and even kim will be like yeah it's for the best we let her go. one of the dozen only hard endstates is letting ruby killing herself and then harry just going gently caress it i quit this job iirc. these hard failstates only are possible by like, actually getting killed or by shooting kids so that tells you how serious screwing up that interaction is

i think the most important thing is the RCM's character is kind of different from regular real world police, and you're given a wide discretion in solving matters but you also operate pretty much on an informal agreement with the local population because of RCM's revolutionary background but also that there really isn't a "government" still in Revachol.

that and harry going off the background revealed that he's a weird cop but also a surprisingly effective one (probably one of the best tbh) until all the drugs and depression hosed him up

Well, my main point wasn't that Harry was a bad at being a cop or that the tangential stuff you do in the storyline doesn't ultimately factor into solving the case, but rather, that the narrative seemed to be signalling hard that being one is bad for him on pretty much every level. And makes him violent and self-destructive. And that he'd be better off starting afresh in some new career and role - in tandem with the background theme of letting go of the past.

Also, AFAIK, Cuno will never trust you again if you narc on him, even if you do all the nice stuff before that point.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

PoorWeather posted:

Well, my main point wasn't that Harry was a bad at being a cop or that the tangential stuff you do in the storyline doesn't ultimately factor into solving the case, but rather, that the narrative seemed to be signalling hard that being one is bad for him on pretty much every level. And makes him violent and self-destructive. And that he'd be better off starting afresh in some new career and role - in tandem with the background theme of letting go of the past.

Also, AFAIK, Cuno will never trust you again if you narc on him, even if you do all the nice stuff before that point.

Being a cop isnt what is destroying Harry, its his relationship with his ex. His self destructive behaviour stems from the guilt and shame of not being able to meet her expectations and then spirals out of control when she leaves him and he dreams of her every night. He eventually wants to self medicate himself into a labotomy to end the cycle. It is very much likely his substance abuse started before becoming a cop.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChrisBTY posted:

I did the Church stuff. Did I miss something other than 'there is a hole in the universe on this very spot and it could expand and devour us at any moment' And yes I have now beaten it.

Did you do the cryptozoology stuff

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Did you dance and pass the shivers check? More spoilery if you don't want to save it for a replay: You can commune with the spirit of the city and it implies that good vibes can fight/reverse the expansion of the Pale and so by starting the club there you're giving Martinaise/Revachol a chance

Also, what Hieronymous asked

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wafflecopper posted:

Did you dance and pass the shivers check? More spoilery if you don't want to save it for a replay:You can commune with the spirit of the city and it implies that good vibes can fight/reverse the expansion of the Pale and so by starting the club there you're giving Martinaise/Revachol a chance

I did that and liked that scene up until I got so caught up in dancing that I guess I accidentally yelled a slur at Kim. I apologized though and we made up do I guess it worked out.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Glagha posted:

I did that and liked that scene up until I got so caught up in dancing that I guess I accidentally yelled a slur at Kim. I apologized though and we made up do I guess it worked out.

Heated dancing moment

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm curious of there is going to be a GOTY edition of this coming out. When the developers were talking about localizing the game to other languages, I was thinking that would give them the chance to go through fixing the typos in the game and re-releasing it with bells and whistles.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wafflecopper posted:

Did you dance and pass the shivers check? More spoilery if you don't want to save it for a replay: You can commune with the spirit of the city and it implies that good vibes can fight/reverse the expansion of the Pale and so by starting the club there you're giving Martinaise/Revachol a chance

Dammit I tried but my composure was the in toilet and I couldn't pass the check. That puts a lot of things into perspective.

Edit: Ok I backed up and did the thing It was super cool but it didn't mention anything about the pale. Probably because I wound up getting my Rhetoric up to 9 trying to open the shipping container door so I passed a godly check which diverted the conversation to 'The City' being scared. Oops

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 10, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Heated dancing moment

Heated Shotput is next

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ChrisBTY posted:

The union being able to organize and maintain, never mind how, its strike is a huge ray of hope. To Mr. Dick it looks likely that one of the more significant ports in the game world is about to take back a lot of its surplus labor. That would have an almost immediate and dramatic impact on the quality of life in Martinaise and could reignite the revolutionary spirit in all of Revachol.

Also: HARDCORE HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDD CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mr. Dick posted:

never mind how

It's drugs.

unless that's what you were referring to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Illegal drugs barely seem like an issue given they're treated exactly the same gameplay-wise as alcohol, which is cheap and plentiful, and the worst addicts you see are pretty much all alcoholics.

Seems like a good idea to talk the raver kids out of running a drug lab, which the union might see as competition.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's backwards. Alcohol is treated like a drug (because it is).

Also the ravers were meant to supply/sell for Evrart, iirc.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Illegal drugs barely seem like an issue given they're treated exactly the same gameplay-wise as alcohol, which is cheap and plentiful, and the worst addicts you see are pretty much all alcoholics.

Seems like a good idea to talk the raver kids out of running a drug lab, which the union might see as competition.

I think the kids are going to start manufacturing for evrart

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone managed to figure out the new palerider achievement?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

itry posted:

Also the ravers were meant to supply/sell for Evrart, iirc.
Wait, what? Does this actually come up? I haven't seen anything alluding to it in two playthroughs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

chaosapiant posted:

Wait, what? Does this actually come up? I haven't seen anything alluding to it in two playthroughs.
Talk to Ancel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

Talk to Ancel.

Which one is Ancel?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Which one is Ancel?
Acel. The girl.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

Acel. The girl.

Oh, duh. Yea I talked to her quite thoroughly I thought. Man, unlike most games, this game doesn't just have "locked" dialogue options, it has poo poo you don't even know is there until you run through again with different stats. I'm tempted to do a third run-through on Hardcore, but need to finish my newly-begun Complete Witcher Book and Game Trilogy runthrough before I commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Evrart says as much, iirc.

chaosapiant posted:

...need to finish my newly-begun Complete Witcher Book and Game Trilogy runthrough before I commit.

:hmmyes: