Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Except it’s very specifically the Senpou Temple Assassins that are being described as “Rats” even if they are working for the Interior Ministry.

The difference might actually be that the head monk was protecting the text from Genechiro, who after jumping off the side of the building during that fight is presumably running around Ashina on his own quest. As for the head monk I don’t think he’s dead, he just left for somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The ones he sends you to specifically kill work for the interior ministry, though I don't remember if everyone counted in the quest does (the rags all kind of blur together.) Even so, he's standing over a ministry assassin when he gives the quest for a reason: he's going after all the infiltrators, not just the assassins. I think the implication is that Wolf is being used for the assassins specifically, since he isn't associated with Ashina, so the Temple won't blame Ashina for killing their partners(?) when Wolf kills them all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't wait for that alarmingly prescient (if accidental) foreshadowing early in the LP to be borne out. That must be within the next couple parts and I'm excited :D

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

thetruegentleman posted:

The ones he sends you to specifically kill work for the interior ministry, though I don't remember if everyone counted in the quest does (the rags all kind of blur together.) Even so, he's standing over a ministry assassin when he gives the quest for a reason: he's going after all the infiltrators, not just the assassins. I think the implication is that Wolf is being used for the assassins specifically, since he isn't associated with Ashina, so the Temple won't blame Ashina for killing their partners(?) when Wolf kills them all.

Isshin calls all the infiltrators rats, whether Senpou assassins or Ministry Shinobi. Right now Ashina is being attacked by the Ministry, is within the throes/aftermath of a civil war and has the Senpou Temple playing both sides of it, supplying mercenary monks to both sides and sending out their own assassins. There is just huge general discord and a bloody war we dont even witness in its entirety. Though we will see some of the devastation of the fires of war

Now the little wrinkly dudes arent purely a creation of the Senpou temple, which is a common misconception. its going off the trope/cliche/historical occurence where socially marginalized people, such as those with deformities like dwarfism, were more likely to be involved in less savory lines of work, being already seen as inherently cursed or some other negative quality.

However do remember this: the current state of Ashina, whether they are in a civil war as well as a war with the Ministry, is all completely irrelevant to Wolf, which is why we dont see much of it, his loyalty is to his Lord and the iron code, not to his Lord and Country.

Regardless of how well its fleshed out, Ashina is a backdrop to Wolf's story.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 1, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

However do remember this: the current state of Ashina, whether they are in a civil war as well as a war with the Ministry, is all completely irrelevant to Wolf, which is why we dont see much of it, his loyalty is to his Lord and the iron code, not to his Lord and Country.

Regardless of how well its fleshed out, Ashina is a backdrop to Wolf's story.

That's one of the funny things about From's approach to worldbuilding and lore: there's a whole lot of it, and the pieces largely fit together if you pay attention, but it doesn't matter. And that makes learning everything even more fascinating with how well thought out it all is, 'cause you can easily miss it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

"This is a weird level." - Jacob

Next week it gets even weirder.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I think Divine Heir and Divine child would look cute together!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That animation is so great. Just give 'em a nice, thorough ear exam.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm actually enraged at how easy a time you had with that loving orange monkey

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wolf can so easily run and grapple circles around his enemies that I don’t think there can really be a Blight Town.

The closest thing is probably an area with several ministry shinobi. In particular, there’s a certain area before a boss with a bunch of ministry shinobi on a roof where you can’t help but aggro them, and there is no way to lose them before the boss. The area before the Juzou rematch.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The only two parts of the game I would say are even remotely in the same neighborhood of Blighttown with the game just hating you are Ashina castle if you try certain parts too soon, or Mibu village if you go there early and for both of those it only counts if you have no idea what you're doing.

But really the whole game is super well designed that there's no honest equivalent.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a certain point later in the game that slows the pace down a bita lot until you know exactly where all the enemies are located.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You actually can jump down where that bridge is, it's the bridge the snake attacks you on earlier when you headed towards Mibu Village.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think pulling the sword should have cost you a resurrection but just the resurrection, not cut you off from the next one. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't possible to do though.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It's a little thing, but it looks like the resurrection node from the Sakura Droplet has a slightly different appearance than the other two. Is there a gameplay reason for that?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bellmaker posted:

It's a little thing, but it looks like the resurrection node from the Sakura Droplet has a slightly different appearance than the other two. Is there a gameplay reason for that?

The nodes that refresh on resting have the sakura leaf symbol in it, while the one you charge by sucking resurrection power from killed enemies has the mandala.
Using the Sakura Droplet added one of the first type of node.

E:

Its....the other way around..........
gently caress

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 5, 2020

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

Wolf can so easily run and grapple circles around his enemies that I don’t think there can really be a Blight Town.

The closest thing is probably an area with several ministry shinobi. In particular, there’s a certain area before a boss with a bunch of ministry shinobi on a roof where you can’t help but aggro them, and there is no way to lose them before the boss. The area before the Juzou rematch.

That whole mess is entirely skippable. The level's changed so you can get under the floorboards unseen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Yoshi returns to fulfill the prophecy while I prove I can actually play this game by soundly beating two of its hardest bosses. The guys have no idea what's coming.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ThornBrain posted:

The guys have no idea what's coming.

and it was good :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IIRC you're sadly better off just mashing the attack button after the Ape is stunned than using the spear.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SSNeoman posted:

IIRC you're sadly better off just mashing the attack button after the Ape is stunned than using the spear.

All the speedruns I've watched use the spear combo so I have hard time believing thats true.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It depends on how you're handling the rest of the fight. The spear yank does a huge chunk of posture damage but not a lot of vitality damage, so if you can't keep the pressure on afterwards a lot of your work gets undone. On the other hand if you keep up the pressure that huge posture damage lets you end the fight long before the ape's health is depleted.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fun thing, you can pretty much skip the entirety of the sunken valley by jumping off right at the beginning and fall onto one of the monkeys at the bottom with a plunging attack.

Also the Serpent Gods are two separate things, not the same snake, which really is the most terrifying part of them this is pretty much most easily seen by the fact the dead one stays at the place you stab it the entire game after that point. The poison vents are toxic gas leaks from the rocks, you can actually walk on them to activate them funnily enough.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yikes but that last fight looked rough, I had a enough of a bad time in dark souls 2 getting tag-teamed by the small and big knights in Heide (the little guys would bash away at me while the big dudes wound up for a swing, there was never an opening where I had stamina for an attack).

I am quietly hoping there is an ending where you can actually set up the two immortal kids by passing the rice balls on to the divine child at senpou, but given how the rest of this game has gone, that would surely only be a setup for some kind of horrific tragedy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yikes but that last fight looked rough, I had a enough of a bad time in dark souls 2 getting tag-teamed by the small and big knights in Heide (the little guys would bash away at me while the big dudes wound up for a swing, there was never an opening where I had stamina for an attack).
It's... really not as bad as it looks. Mostly because of the first fight - by the end of that, you're essentially guaranteed to be an expert at fighting apes.
I think Guardian Ape 1 was genuinely the most difficult fight in the game for me. Well, along with Lady Butterfly, but that's just learning the ropes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah the Guardian Ape refight is great. You know how to deal with the boss, but then it throws a huge curve at you. But wait, you've seen this curve before!!

Beating the second fight first try felt really really excellent.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
We are approaching my favorite boss fight in the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tarezax posted:

It depends on how you're handling the rest of the fight. The spear yank does a huge chunk of posture damage but not a lot of vitality damage, so if you can't keep the pressure on afterwards a lot of your work gets undone. On the other hand if you keep up the pressure that huge posture damage lets you end the fight long before the ape's health is depleted.

The real trick to the boss is that if you're good at deflecting you can get it to do it's giant, exaggerated slash a lot. Which knocks it down for spear yank/bunch of slashes.
If you're lucky and the ape keeps swinging it's sword you can spear yank it to oblivion really quickly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Yeah the Guardian Ape refight is great. You know how to deal with the boss, but then it throws a huge curve at you. But wait, you've seen this curve before!!

Beating the second fight first try felt really really excellent.

Hey, got-it-first-try bud :hfive:

The re-fight is basically a final exam - you've seen all the bits, and mastered them; you just need to put them together. (It helps that the mate has extremely little posture and vitality, though)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The biggest enemy in the ape refight isn't either ape, but the camera.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I dunno, I never had as much trouble with it there, or anywhere else, as I did in the final room of Hirata Estate. Those fuckin support beams :argh:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We've done everything we can up to this point, so time to reach the next point-of-no-return and rescale the castle to save Kuro from a new threat.
Next week will be the first of the endings!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can you deplete a healthbar without a deathblow? Watching you fight that Headless made me wonder, since it looked like it would've been better to take it out with normal damage and then kill it afterwards immediately.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

RareAcumen posted:

Can you deplete a healthbar without a deathblow? Watching you fight that Headless made me wonder, since it looked like it would've been better to take it out with normal damage and then kill it afterwards immediately.

Yes. Doing so instantly fills their posture bar. You still have to do the deathblows if they’re a boss or miniboss.

That is how I defeated the next major boss, who we will probably face after we see the “bad” ending next week, before I got gud.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Said it in the video comments and I'll say it here: the Assassins' grab's sound effect is nasty :eek:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 16, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish there were unique death animations for more stuff. Like when you're fighting another human and they do a thrust kick; I wish if it killed you they actually pierce through your chest with their leg.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have to say I was also very impressed when Wolf busted out the hurricarana.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The LP is going to be delayed at least a week due to troubles with my audio interface. Its power supply failed last week, and while my dad had a backup interface in the garage, it was pretty rubbish and only barely worked with my system. My two attempts to buy a better replacement have both ended up with their own insurmountable issues for either recording or commentating with the guys over Discord. I'm now resorting to buying a generic power supply and hoping that it works with the old interface, which won't arrive until next week, but if that also doesn't work, I'm going to have to buy an entire new replacement and lose at least another week. Either way, Sekiro is going to have to stall here until everything is sorted.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
drat you, LP curse! :argh:

Best of luck getting that sorted out, Thorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's all completely reasonable.