Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's really a shame that nobody has really run with the "transformers, but adorable" concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

It's really a shame that nobody has really run with the "transformers, but adorable" concept

Other than Transformers I assume. Though I'm sure there's a brand somewhere based around that that isn't the Transformers brand.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm thinking like, Sanrio transformers. Just super cute little robbits :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

however there is a whole bunch of "gundams, but adorable" if that's your bag

precision posted:

I'm thinking like, Sanrio transformers. Just super cute little robbits :3:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Why you gotta post the bad SD Gundam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMLN_Dd_YAw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMtd08WMNc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finished Disco Elysium. Game was okay, I guess. Working on the case was fun, aimlessly wandering through Martinaise was not. A lot of the aimless wandering was my own fault it turned out, for not getting that it's okay to just slam a 3% chance and see if that unlocks anything that can increase the chance when I retry later--I didn't even properly investigate the corpse until the very end of the first day

The ending was weird and unsatisfying though there were enough loose ends that I could easily believe I just missed a few things that would have made it better (though I have no real desire to replay the game to tie up those loose ends). Also the pigeonholes of politics the game has don't quite line up with what I was going for so I kept seeing the game think I had convictions that are not, actually, convictions I have.

Game wouldn't have been in my top ten last year, much less my top game at all, and I don't expect it to make my top ten this year. But I don't regret playing it and I on balance enjoyed it more than I was frustrated by it. 7/10.

e: next up is either AI: somnium files, or final fantasy 5.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 10, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

I love how he doesn't bother to read the whole text of the card he's never seen before and just attacks right into it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pretty true to the competitive ccg experience tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Have you seen some of the rules on Yugioh cards? Theyre like little novels from an alternate universe where industrial equipment manuals are the height of stylistic prose

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yugioh is actually very easy to understand.

Watch some high ranking pros show you how it's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtArkwBtMs&t=37s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The core design of the game didn't seem compromised in any way, yeah loot boxes suck on principle but just saying it's something you can completely ignore while playing the game, it doesn't even have the psychological envy activation that any online cosmetic lootbox is designed around

People constantly say this, but they straight up rebalanced the endgame when they took the MTX out, so connect the dots.

Anyway, w/r/t to Arkham combat and the Mordor games the problem is that the Batman combat style was designed to make you look cool as much as possible and generally come out on top if you do it right. The Mordor games did a good job giving you lots of options/techniques/"gadgets" so that the basic combat rhythm didn't get too samey, but those games explicitly want you to eat poo poo as much as possible so that orc politics can kick in and you can get one or more nemeses. They also made certain abilities wildly overpowered. Both of these things end up being compensated by making every fight be against 50 orcs (so being able to instantly kill 8~ of them means nothing) + at least one captain, who probably has multiple immunities to all of your overpowered bullshit in an attempt to make you dead.

The big difference between Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War is that they outright raised the default difficulty for the sequel. The first game's Normal can be too easy sometimes, but I thought it had a reasonable difficulty curve and let you play around with the different gameplay styles as you liked. But on the flipside I never really got a nemesis because even doing the "don't take too many HP upgrades" trick I didn't really die all that often. Shadow of War's Normal difficulty is explicitly more like the first game's Hard because they want you to die more to make nemesis system stuff pop off more often. But most of the ways its harder are just irritating - more captain immunities/buffs are a big one. And they didn't really compensate for the fact that the changes they made to...literally everything already make the combat more complicated. The big beefy orc dudes alone completely gently caress with the combat, and I would argue largely not for the better.

And this is all before you get to the other problems that have already been brought up. The "too many maps" complaint is right on the money. The map design itself also isn't great.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Finished Disco Elysium. Game was okay, I guess. Working on the case was fun, aimlessly wandering through Martinaise was not. A lot of the aimless wandering was my own fault it turned out, for not getting that it's okay to just slam a 3% chance and see if that unlocks anything that can increase the chance when I retry later--I didn't even properly investigate the corpse until the very end of the first day

The ending was weird and unsatisfying though there were enough loose ends that I could easily believe I just missed a few things that would have made it better (though I have no real desire to replay the game to tie up those loose ends). Also the pigeonholes of politics the game has don't quite line up with what I was going for so I kept seeing the game think I had convictions that are not, actually, convictions I have.

Game wouldn't have been in my top ten last year, much less my top game at all, and I don't expect it to make my top ten this year. But I don't regret playing it and I on balance enjoyed it more than I was frustrated by it. 7/10.

e: next up is either AI: somnium files, or final fantasy 5.

I'm voting Somnium Files.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember a Yu Gi Oh game boy game that I played and the rules were extremely simple, has it gotten exponentially more complicated?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

People constantly say this, but they straight up rebalanced the endgame when they took the MTX out, so connect the dots.

Anyway, w/r/t to Arkham combat and the Mordor games the problem is that the Batman combat style was designed to make you look cool as much as possible and generally come out on top if you do it right. The Mordor games did a good job giving you lots of options/techniques/"gadgets" so that the basic combat rhythm didn't get too samey, but those games explicitly want you to eat poo poo as much as possible so that orc politics can kick in and you can get one or more nemeses. They also made certain abilities wildly overpowered. Both of these things end up being compensated by making every fight be against 50 orcs (so being able to instantly kill 8~ of them means nothing) + at least one captain, who probably has multiple immunities to all of your overpowered bullshit in an attempt to make you dead.

The big difference between Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War is that they outright raised the default difficulty for the sequel. The first game's Normal can be too easy sometimes, but I thought it had a reasonable difficulty curve and let you play around with the different gameplay styles as you liked. But on the flipside I never really got a nemesis because even doing the "don't take too many HP upgrades" trick I didn't really die all that often. Shadow of War's Normal difficulty is explicitly more like the first game's Hard because they want you to die more to make nemesis system stuff pop off more often. But most of the ways its harder are just irritating - more captain immunities/buffs are a big one. And they didn't really compensate for the fact that the changes they made to...literally everything already make the combat more complicated. The big beefy orc dudes alone completely gently caress with the combat, and I would argue largely not for the better.

And this is all before you get to the other problems that have already been brought up. The "too many maps" complaint is right on the money. The map design itself also isn't great.

It's also helps in Batman that the encounters are designed and balanced instead of having a mix of random orcs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I remember a Yu Gi Oh game boy game that I played and the rules were extremely simple, has it gotten exponentially more complicated?

Since you last played there are at least three more kinds of summons, a redesign of the play board to force you to use the latest kind of summon, several thousand increasingly esoteric cards with ever more labrythine text and rules, and so much cruft in general that Konami spun off a reboot version of the ruleset as a separate game.

In general tournament yugioh appears to consist mostly of hoping you can survive your opponents opening turn so you can counter by one turn killing them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have no idea who bought me this avatar but if it was someone from this thread then thank you, it has made me laugh quite a lot :D

Also I love Nier:Automata and Batman AA and AC. Still have yet to play origins and knight but I will at some point. Batman was fun, I was bad at the combat but I perservered despite this.

Also Spider-man combat is ace and I could not get enough of that :D

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

In general tournament yugioh appears to consist mostly of hoping you can survive your opponents opening turn so you can counter by one turn killing them.

Ah, the Vintage/Legacy Magic experience :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yugi chat has made me remember this exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOn_AQfmAW8

Which is a video explaining how a speedrunner got caught hacking the gibson.

Speedrunners cheating and getting caught is my soul food.
Could watch that poo poo all day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another weird thing about Yugioh is that cards that are popular get more support and there is both no end of life for cards and the rules have to support cards based on their literal names. So there are like 8 billion good cards for all different kinds of Dark Magician bullshit but if you like a less popular card prepare to get dunked on because you simply have way less cards that work with yours.

precision posted:

Ah, the Vintage/Legacy Magic experience :v:

You will take channel, fireball, and moxes from my cold, 1 life remaining hands.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yugi chat has made me remember this exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOn_AQfmAW8

Which is a video explaining how a speedrunner got caught hacking the gibson.

Speedrunners cheating and getting caught is my soul food.
Could watch that poo poo all day.

Is that the guy who kept trying to get the videos outing him taken down for copyright and how he himself was breaking plenty of youtube's rules and sent his fans to go harass anyone who was calling him out on cheating?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's the best and worst Yakuza game?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Best - Yakuza 0 (Cause I haven't played the rest, and it owns)
Worst - All the non-translated ones because I only speak Japanese at a barely passable conversational level, and my reading skills are preschool at best and I need them translated :negative:

I should really just go somewhere and learn it properly :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that the guy who kept trying to get the videos outing him taken down for copyright and how he himself was breaking plenty of youtube's rules and sent his fans to go harass anyone who was calling him out on cheating?

Yeah the guy is a gigantic fuckwit, and if you watch the allegations in the video he's an absolute loving grot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not an expert on Yakuza as a series but 4 has several glaring flaws, including making you play as the lamest guy ever.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 the other day and it was good but 0 is still my favourite so far; played a bit of 4 years ago but never finished it, not buying the PS4 remasters yet 'cos I'm waiting for them to come to PC 🤞

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not an expert on Yakuza as a series but 4 has several glaring flaws, including making you play as the lamest guy ever.

5 is overall worse than 4 imo. Saejima's chapter is terrible in many ways (boring town, another prison segment but it's even longer this time). Haruka's chapter is fine except it only has like 2 songs which makes the large number of dance battles tedious

0, Kiwami 2, and 6 are the best by a pretty fair margin.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmmm I loved Zero and liked Kiwami 1. Starred Kiwami 2 last night.

Kinda tempted to skip straight to 6 after that, 3 4 and 5 seem to be the least loved

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I'm playing through the Resident Evil games and I just finished 7! I think I preferred it over 4 but they're so different it's hard to compare them.

Next up is REmake, does anyone know if the PC port of that was any good? There's a review on Steam that mentions a slowdown bug, but that's from 2015.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

homeless snail posted:

disneyworld is the new mecca and i hope you've made your pilgrimage

I proposed to my wife in front of Baymax :unsmith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hmmm I loved Zero and liked Kiwami 1. Starred Kiwami 2 last night.

Kinda tempted to skip straight to 6 after that, 3 4 and 5 seem to be the least loved

If you skip 3 4 and 5 the emotional payoff of 6 will be almost nonexistent because you haven't watched Haruka grow up. I'd at least try them out. Even bad Yakuza is still Good Stuff and if you don't want to linger on them they're not actually very long if you skip the sub stories and mini games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Songbearer posted:

I proposed to my wife in front of Baymax :unsmith:

bah-la-la-la-la!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I finished up the main story of Coffee Talk. I don't really love the writing, but I can't really get over how they added a whole fluid dynamics shader to their VN so you could make latte art.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SeXReX posted:

I finished up the main story of Coffee Talk. I don't really love the writing, but I can't really get over how they added a whole fluid dynamics shader to their VN so you could make latte art.
Does the game at least play like butter?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

bushisms.txt posted:

Does the game at least play like butter?

Blisteringly smooth 144fps and the combat was at least twice as in depth as a batman game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I loved Yakuza 0 and it was my first introduction to the franchise, I immediately got Kiwami but it doesn't feel quite as wacky as 0. What I liked about 0 was the balance between bizarre off-the-wall side content and a straight faced melodrama story so when one started to get tiring, the other was there.

Kiwami feels a lot more sedate and it's not engaging me quite as much. I know it's by virtue of 0 being the result of an entire series of games beforehand but the tonal downshift is a little jarring

I appreciate Majima Everywhere and Bug Fighting though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kiwami 1 and 2 are remakes but not complete overhauls. Feel free to jump straight to 3 and them go straight to 6

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I felt the same way as you, zero was hilarious batshit melodrama and Kiwami was just alright. Still good enough to get me to buy Kiwami 2 though.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

the correct answer is all the ones that let you play puyo puyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

a glitch posted:

I'm playing through the Resident Evil games and I just finished 7! I think I preferred it over 4 but they're so different it's hard to compare them.

Next up is REmake, does anyone know if the PC port of that was any good? There's a review on Steam that mentions a slowdown bug, but that's from 2015.

Check the fixes on here - https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_HD_Remaster

Given your machine seems to run 7 I doubt you'll have issues with the slowdown thing as that was for slower GPUs at the time the HD version release (e.g. GTX 500 series and older). The HD backgrounds pack there is great though, and you'll also want the music fix as some of the background tracks are at the wrong pitch and speed for some reason.

Also grab the mod manager when you've finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1n2X7Xe-I