Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Magnum was very cool, it just wasn't well built at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tremek posted:

- Porsche Panerabread Gran Turismo

That made me laugh. :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The panerabread also has a cool towing capacity of 4850lb*

*depending on market

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I kinda like the TourX, plastic trim and all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Don't hate the country, hate Marketing pukes that take no risks and focus group poo poo to death. The things that really make the mark are drat-the-torpedoes we're going to do it anyway stuff. Sometimes the biggest failures, too, but no one will remember that bland same-wagon you tried to make to capture some of the sales success the other brand was having with theirs.

Yeah blame those marketing “pukes” and all their statistics like “take rate” and “sales figures”

Blame all the mouth breathing retards on Jalopnik who were 1,000% going to buy the SS, or the Alltrack/Sportwagen, or the eleven billion models that nobody buys and gets cancelled.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
lol what

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most of the people bitching on the internet about how manufacturers don't make a car that fits some small niche don't buy new cars, but when one does get made and gets cancelled due to low production it is all surprisedpikachu

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, people no longer buy wagons unless they are Subaru. The station wagon market is now 1.3% of new sales with 1.2% of those being Subaru.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Most of the people bitching on the internet about how manufacturers don't make a car that fits some small niche don't buy new cars, but when one does get made and gets cancelled due to low production it is all surprisedpikachu

Oh, for sure, and that definitely makes manufacturers gunshy. Marketing then reinforces that fear. And, yes, marketing people tend to be pukes. Almost worse than Sales. Almost.
I try not to me too I would totally buy that because I flat out don't have the ability to put my money where my mouth is with how much a new car costs, now. I'm still not sure how we managed to buy two new (cheap) cars over the years - I don't think I could do it now, despite both of us earning quite a bit more money. I'm probably just bad with money I am bad with money.'
I want *other people to buy them new so I can buy them used, of course (which is what most of the "me too-ers" mean.)

Rusty posted:

Yeah, people no longer buy wagons unless they are Subaru. The station wagon market is now 1.3% of new sales with 1.2% of those being Subaru.

The other 0.1% is Volvo.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
If I weren't getting laid off and I got paid a lot more I would totally buy a cool wagon like an RS6 or E63 AMG, but when the base price of the car is the same as my salary before taxes, I'm not sure how you do that.

I also don't want a car payment and was too stupid to not mine Bitcoin in college on free internet and electricity. Maybe I just don't deserve nice things.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enos Cabell posted:

Ok that is great news. The TourX ticks almost every box I'm looking at, but petty or not I crossed it off my list solely due to those wheel arches.

Now if I could just get this drat 200k mile 04 Accord to die so I can justify buying one!

It's literally held on with double sided tape. The front bumper piece is molded onto the bumper, but other bumpers are available that would fit it as stated. While I get not wanting to gently caress with a brand new car, it's a bit silly to totally discount it for that. I wish it didn't have the jacked up ride height as well...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Manufacturers can make neat things and still make money, just that they want to make ALL the money, hence the Focus being killed off in the USA. People bought them, loved them, CEO change and rip, dead line.

It's short sighted as hell but so is corporate America.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My wife was 100% sold on the tour-x and we would have nabbed one but she (well, both of us) refuses to drive an automatic. They were sooo cheap for what you were getting however.

I really don’t blame GM since, lets be real - manual wagon new car buyers are about .000001% of the market.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
After I got tired of looking at TourX poo poo yesterday I wandered over to the Volvo site and now I really really want a V90. Like real bad. 50k is just unobtainable though. When it's time to replace the 6 I think I'm going to look hard into used ones.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Voltage posted:

My wife was 100% sold on the tour-x and we would have nabbed one but she (well, both of us) refuses to drive an automatic.

So... what'd you get instead?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Manufacturers can make neat things and still make money, just that they want to make ALL the money, hence the Focus being killed off in the USA. People bought them, loved them, CEO change and rip, dead line.

It's short sighted as hell but so is corporate America.

My favorite thing about the late Focus is how Ford finally brought the RS out here and marked it up so much that very few people bought it. Ford was like "see, nobody wanted it like we said!" Then they bet everything on the new Explorer, and it flopped.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mill Village posted:

My favorite thing about the late Focus is how Ford finally brought the RS out here and marked it up so much that very few people bought it. Ford was like "see, nobody wanted it like we said!" Then they bet everything on the new Explorer, and it flopped.

I thought the explorer thing was due to manufacturing issues, not lack of demand, no?

E: also, holy hell e63 wagons carry a massive premium on the used market compared to sedans

E2: wait they are selling the rs6 avant here? I can’t wait to not buy a new one and then complaining about the used market sucking.

E3: I will complain about the used sports turismo market sucking before that, of course

gvibes fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 8, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Now that it has all new belts, new seals, a new water pump and new tires it feels really good to put the hammer down. Ticking closer to 39,000 miles.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Now that it has all new belts, new seals, a new water pump and new tires it feels really good to put the hammer down. Ticking closer to 39,000 miles.

Noice

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

That rules.

I hate this country.

It's the whole world unfortunately. The "estate" was cancelled in Europe, every model discontinued here. It was only really GM hubris that allowed the car to be sold here at all (and this spec was unique to AU/NZ).

It is not a popular model - taking into account the Holden brand is in it's death throws, I paid about the equivalent of a low-mid spec 2WD X-trail, Tuscon or Ford Escape (to compare to what people *are* buying).

I'm stoked with it so far. It's quick, handles really well, looks and sounds good, nicely put together with most of the modern techy bits (skimped in a couple of places) and is as practical as a family car could be.
It's replacing a w204 series C class and compliments a small, manual Renault hot hatch and I feel I've got everything I want automotively.

Makes me a bit sad that there was some obvious effort put into designing the thing and it's been mostly rejected.

KakerMix posted:

Nice. My brother just lost his 90 GT to hail sadly, was a kick-arse car.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

gvibes posted:

I thought the explorer thing was due to manufacturing issues, not lack of demand, no?

E: also, holy hell e63 wagons carry a massive premium on the used market compared to sedans

E2: wait they are selling the rs6 avant here? I can’t wait to not buy a new one and then complaining about the used market sucking.

E3: I will complain about the used sports turismo market sucking before that, of course

All the desirable wagons carry premiums. Go look at 2011-2014 CTS-C wagons too and get mad.

Hell even V70 Rs still carry a premium.

Mill Village posted:

Well you see it’s also kind of an unreliable crapcan so $40k was a lot of coin for something with a super plastic fantastic interior and crappy back seat and a coarse 2.3 that likes to eat head gaskets and stuff.

If you want to turn people off from your brand build an unreliable performance car. See: Alfa Quadrifoglio

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mill Village posted:

Ford has little control of what dealers sell the car for. That's what is so annoying about the current sales model. Oem is at the mercy of lovely dealers who are usually the only ones who face customers and shape people's perception of brands. :bang:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

KakerMix posted:

Man I love this, great pic and car

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Suburban Dad posted:

Ford has little control of what dealers sell the car for. That's what is so annoying about the current sales model. Oem is at the mercy of lovely dealers who are usually the only ones who face customers and shape people's perception of brands. :bang:

Ford has 100% control over how many cars they make though. Eg Ford only ever makes around 5000 GT500s a year so the prices generally stay high allowing dealers to price gouge meanwhile Fiat pumped out nearly 20,000 Hellcat challengers the first two years so after the relatively short initial rush you could easily get a deal on one.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Photo isn’t quite grey enough.

What even is that? I assume some 80s American thing that I’m not familiar with.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

AirRaid posted:

Photo isn’t quite grey enough.

What even is that? I assume some 80s American thing that I’m not familiar with.

That’s a full color photogram! The steel blue of the faded paint and the overcast sky were just a nice match.

Car is an ‘85 Mazda RX-7

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Shows how much I know! I would’ve guessed some kind of Buick :downs:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Buick made the Reatta which looks a lot like the first gen RX-7

rscott fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 10, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Those cars don't look anything alike...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

They do not. There’s a secret missing link here.

It’s that I am an idiot. :ssh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

Those cars don't look anything alike...

They have a lot of surface similarities.
From this angle:
- 2 door
- sloping rear glass
- full width rear light elements

from the front: popupsssss

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

AirRaid posted:

They do not. There’s a secret missing link here.

It’s that I am an idiot. :ssh:

gently caress I can't believe I just :thejoke:'d myself...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Q_res posted:

gently caress I can't believe I just :thejoke:'d myself...

We've all been there.

And the pinstripe on that Reatta is even more horrid than pinstripes usually are.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Darchangel posted:

Don't hate the country, hate Marketing pukes that take no risks and focus group poo poo to death. The things that really make the mark are drat-the-torpedoes we're going to do it anyway stuff. Sometimes the biggest failures, too, but no one will remember that bland same-wagon you tried to make to capture some of the sales success the other brand was having with theirs.

No, hate this country. If they can only sell half as many wagons as they need to cover the homolgation costs, then they stop bothering with the hassle of homologating a wagon variant.

This argument is pretty boring but there’s plenty of evidence that people want to buy these kinds of vehicles second-hand, but no one wants to buy one new.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

drgitlin posted:

This argument is pretty boring but there’s plenty of evidence that people want to buy these kinds of vehicles second-hand, but no one wants to buy one new.

Decommed Chevy SS police cruisers are becoming one of the cheapest LS-equiped cars around here. The local police love theirs but they don't have much commonality with the rest of the fleet (these guys bought a bit of everything, too). They might have done better making them wagons, as Tahoes seem to be the preferred replacement. Too late now.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

Decommed Chevy SS police cruisers are becoming one of the cheapest LS-equiped cars around here. The local police love theirs but they don't have much commonality with the rest of the fleet (these guys bought a bit of everything, too). They might have done better making them wagons, as Tahoes seem to be the preferred replacement. Too late now.

Those probably aren’t Chevy SSes... Are you talking about the Commodore VE-based Caprice PPV?

The PPV had V6 options and also a 6.0L V8, but a far less sophisticated suspension, a vastly shittier interior (yes I know but it’s shittier on both a relative and absolute scale) and is based on the previous generation Commodore, whereas the Chevy SS was based on the VF Commodore, only had the 6.2L LS3 and made a lot more power, had the option of magnetorheological shocks, could be optioned with a 6 speed manual, and was shorter in overall length than the PPV. Significantly different car even if superficially they look similar.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

After I got tired of looking at TourX poo poo yesterday I wandered over to the Volvo site and now I really really want a V90. Like real bad. 50k is just unobtainable though. When it's time to replace the 6 I think I'm going to look hard into used ones.

I want an XC90 V8 because... V8. It sounds glorious. It's actually a Yamaha, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDtrCxpKKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjet5eCY0Ik

I'm sure it's a maintenance nightmare. It's a transverse V8.

fake edit: I just learned grabbing those videos that they crammed it into the S80, too.
Fake edit2: Oh, dammit, there's an '07 XC90 V8 on Craigslist for $3500.

AirRaid posted:

Shows how much I know! I would’ve guessed some kind of Buick :downs:

Alright, now you look here, buddy!
Them's fightin' words. RADL, assemble!

drgitlin posted:

That I will agree with, but that's probably largely due to the ridiculously high cost of vehicles in general compared to stagnating wages, as pointed out by someone in another thread. I'd *love* to buy a new Stinger, or that Tour X, for example, but I don't know how I would do it, and I and my wife make what I would consider decent but not amazing money (just over 4 figures combined.) I herd around used junk instead, which works out, because I can fix things.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tremek posted:

Those probably aren’t Chevy SSes... Are you talking about the Commodore VE-based Caprice PPV?

The PPV had V6 options and also a 6.0L V8, but a far less sophisticated suspension, a vastly shittier interior (yes I know but it’s shittier on both a relative and absolute scale) and is based on the previous generation Commodore, whereas the Chevy SS was based on the VF Commodore, only had the 6.2L LS3 and made a lot more power, had the option of magnetorheological shocks, could be optioned with a 6 speed manual, and was shorter in overall length than the PPV. Significantly different car even if superficially they look similar.

Did not know that! God, GM didn't even try this time around.

Amusingly, it didn't take a month before one of our cops wrecked whatever Chevys they bought. The thing sat on a rack above the fence at the local wrecking yard for a while after that, still wearing police livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

drgitlin posted:

No, hate this country. If they can only sell half as many wagons as they need to cover the homolgation costs, then they stop bothering with the hassle of homologating a wagon variant.

Here’s my hot take: buying new cars today is a terrible financial choice, so people smart enough about cars to choose good ones are also smart enough to buy used, unless they have so much money that a car is basically a frivolous choice. So almost all reasonably priced new cars are designed to appeal to people who are too dumb to buy used, except for high-end luxury-sport toys. (And of course plenty of expensive cars are also terrible, but the proportion isn’t so close to 100%.)

In effect, we’ve appointed our worst buyers to be our tastemakers.