Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Trebek posted:

What is a pit potty? Even google didn't help.

I think that's a really worn down British take on "it's all gone to poo poo." The usual phrase is "it's gone a bit poo poo" then if you're trying to be polite it would be "it's gone a bit potty" then mispelled bit.

e: one hell of a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Potty is also a very Little England term meaning 'crazy'.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I thought the post was about to veer into some Nextdoor style anti-pitbull rage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kimbo305 posted:

Oh so that's a line from Frozen? Oh, maybe it's more believable if the toddler was watching that movie all the time.

A bit jealous of your life that you don't have Let it Go memorized

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Trebek posted:

What is a pit potty? Even google didn't help.

I’m assuming “pit” is a typo for “bit”, and “potty” can apparently be British slang for “crazy”.

Edit: I apparently missed that a new page started, so enjoy this very out of date information.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I figured she hosed up Pity Party.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a latrine.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Saw this on community FB page, it's so bad I almost think it's a parody, but it doesn't really go for it. I think I got brain damage just reading it.

No, I did not crop it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Amen

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
god kills

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
“And the very next day I dawned dead.”

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
but what a lie

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sir Lemming posted:

Saw this on community FB page, it's so bad I almost think it's a parody, but it doesn't really go for it. I think I got brain damage just reading it.

No, I did not crop it.

Amen type gods are no longer supported in this version of reality.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

isoprenaline posted:

“And the very next day I dawned dead.”

And then John was a zombie

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jesus please stop bothering me I've blocked you on like 5 different accounts already it's honestly getting kind of creepy, that 3 days you were gone for some reason was the most relief I've felt in ages

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The girl with irony laughed,

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

a fatguy baldspot posted:

The girl with irony laughed,

Oh, is this the new Nordic noir novel everyone's talking about

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kimbo305 posted:

Oh so that's a line from Frozen? Oh, maybe it's more believable if the toddler was watching that movie all the time.

People in this thread routinely have nfi what little kids are actually like.

this is a two year old doing the entire elsa dance from Frozen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoYI_3sAyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

sebmojo posted:

People in this thread routinely have nfi what little kids are actually like.

this is a two year old doing the entire elsa dance from Frozen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoYI_3sAyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

seriously, some of y'all have never met a small child. my 5-year-old is mildly famous among her teachers for having an eidectic memory for song lyrics, it's not that unusual for kids to obsessively memorize things they like until they can mimic them perfectly. At length. Whether you like it or not.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheKennedys posted:

seriously, some of y'all have never met a small child. my 5-year-old is mildly famous among her teachers for having an eidectic memory for song lyrics, it's not that unusual for kids to obsessively memorize things they like until they can mimic them perfectly. At length. Whether you like it or not.

There is a difference between just reciting song lyrics and using a phrase from the song to make a coherent joke. The story says 'toddler', and small children usually struggle with the latter, although it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My daughter has some of her favorite books memorized word for word, including longer more complicated ones, and will frequently read other books and weave her own stories incorporating what she sees in the pictures with the books she has memorized, and she's two and a half. Little kids are capable of surprising stuff.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Paladinus posted:

There is a difference between just reciting song lyrics and using a phrase from the song to make a coherent joke. The story says 'toddler', and small children usually struggle with the latter, although it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility.

Yeah, it's not the recall of a popular children's movie that seems implausible, it's the razor-sharp comedic timing that made everyone clap.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: the next day she dawned dead

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Pirate Captain posted:

My daughter has some of her favorite books memorized word for word, including longer more complicated ones, and will frequently read other books and weave her own stories incorporating what she sees in the pictures with the books she has memorized, and she's two and a half. Little kids are capable of surprising stuff.

I've had really young clients on the spectrum memorize entire seasons of tv shows and recite them back. It honestly makes me embarassed when I can't even remember my anniversary but this kid can rattle off several thousand lines of Ninjago.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Wordslut is a really good book, but some of the anecdotes have a whiff of the old stdh:

quote:

For all of my teenage years, catcalling distressed me so much that whenever it happened, I simply kept my head down and didn’t react. But in my early twenties, after having tickled my inner revolutionary with the teachings of a gender and language class or two, I decided to try my hand at confronting them. Because I’d heard that many men who do this are just looking for a quick reaction, and that a smile or the flick of a middle finger were considered equal successes, I tried to give my catcallers something less expected.

“I know why you’re doing this,” I said once to a pair of boys in backward caps, who’d hollered that they’d like to “show me a good time” in Union Square Park. “You’re trying to prove how straight you are to each other. I’ve studied people like you in school. You can’t fool me.” I highly doubt I convinced any of the men I confronted to stop catcalling forever, but I did bamboozle and embarrass a few of them, and those felt like small victories in the moment. I remember one guy actually ran away from me.

quote:

I was nineteen, working between classes at NYU as a babysitter for a professor’s daughter, who attended a prep school on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. The kid was in the same grade as another girl with a mother who wore tweed skirt suits, had hair the color of a daffodil, and grew up in a family that valued proper elocution and manners above all else—principles she was intent on passing down to her own daughter.
I met this mother on the 6 train, headed downtown to Bleecker Street, where we were shepherding our respective fifth graders. After taking our seats and exchanging a few pleasantries, I scooted over to chat with the two girls, and at a point, I used the contraction y’all to address them: “So how did y’all’s French test go?” I asked.
The tweed-clad mother did not approve. “Y’all?” she gasped, taking a palm to her sternum. “You can’t go around saying the word y’all, Amanda. It’s terrible English! People will think you’re stupid . . . or worse, Southern!”* She made eye contact with her daughter and shook her head.
I live for moments like this.
“Actually,” I offered, sliding back across the seat, “I like to see y’all as an efficient and socially conscious way to handle the English language’s lack of a second-person plural pronoun.” The mother raised an eyebrow. I continued, “I could have used the word you to address the two girls, but I wanted to make sure your daughter knew I was including her in the conversation. I could also have said you guys, which has become surprisingly customary in casual conversation, but to my knowledge, neither of these children identifies as male, and I try to avoid using masculine terms to address people who aren’t men, as it ultimately works to promote the sort of linguistic sexism many have been fighting for years. I mean, if neither of these girls is a guy, then surely together they aren’t guys, you know?”
The mother gave me a skeptical smile. “I suppose,” she said.
“Exactly!” I carried on, delighted to have been given an inch. “There are other interesting alternatives: I could have said yinz, which is standard in Western Pennsylvania and parts of Appalachia, but I personally don’t think it rolls off the tongue quite as nicely. All things considered, I simply find y’all to be the most fluent solution to a tricky lexical gap. I also know that the word is highly stigmatized, as it’s associated with a certain geographical region and socioeconomic background, much like the word ain’t, which, by the way, was actually used abundantly among the English upper crust in the nineteenth century.”
“Is that true?” the mother perked up.
“It is,” I confirmed. “Anyway, I’d love to learn more about your opposition to the word y’all. Tell me about your upbringing.”
For the next ten stops, the mother proceeded to unload her whole story—her immigrant parents, the impossible elocutionary standards set for her as a child—and by the time we all stepped off the train at Bleecker Street, I was certain she’d think twice the next time she desired to chastise someone for using the word y’all. Part of me was confident she’d never do it ever again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dienes posted:

I've had really young clients on the spectrum memorize entire seasons of tv shows and recite them back. It honestly makes me embarassed when I can't even remember my anniversary but this kid can rattle off several thousand lines of Ninjago.

I don't see how the latter would help you if you forget your anniversary. I'm fact I bet it would make the situation worse!

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't see how the latter would help you if you forget your anniversary. I'm fact I bet it would make the situation worse!

It's like you've never heard of romance.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah one of my clients will use entire episodes of sponge bob to communicate and it owns.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
REminds me of that Rebecca Sugar comic about the brothers who communicated in Simpsons quotes.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

a fatguy baldspot posted:

yeah one of my clients will use entire episodes of sponge bob to communicate and it owns.

my aforementioned kindergartner is mildly autistic, and yeah, up until pretty recently she talked basically in her own code made up of finding a song that fit what you were asking her and singing it as a response. It's weird to explain but very similar, she'd "talk" entirely in Dora/Bubble Guppies quotes and her library of songs. She just started finding and using her own words maybe last summer and she still chooses to make up little songs about what she's doing half the time. Kids, especially on the spectrum, are really honestly capable of some weird and hilarious connections in a brain that hasn't been taught it shouldn't do that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I am also autistic with low support needs. When I was preschool age I had trouble structuring my own sentences, so I often found it easier to use a contextually-appropriate Disney quote.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I know using Trump is generally cheating, but it's not every day the POTUS tells a literal "everyone stood up and clapped" STDH:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-geraldo-rivera-interview-white-house-vindman-applause

quote:

Trump then claimed that “Vindman was the guy that, when we took him out of the building, the building applauded.”

“I don’t know if you heard that,” Trump told Rivera, who said he was unaware of the supposed applause. “The whole building, many of the people in the building started applauding.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jurgan posted:

I know using Trump is generally cheating, but it's not every day the POTUS tells a literal "everyone stood up and clapped" STDH:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-geraldo-rivera-interview-white-house-vindman-applause

When Donald Trump tells STDH, he replaces all instances of “Albert Einstein” with “Donald Trump”.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jurgan posted:

Out in the East Wing, Melania's staff who have nothing else to do suddenly stand up and begin to clap. They do not know why.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

It seems "many people" show up in a lot of Trumps stories. Also their twin brother, "some people". As in, "who some people call Pocahontas ".

Pretty sure they're the same people as John Harris and John Barron. Probably John Bigbootie, too.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

MrUnderbridge posted:

It seems "many people" show up in a lot of Trumps stories. Also their twin brother, "some people". As in, "who some people call Pocahontas ".

Pretty sure they're the same people as John Harris and John Barron. Probably John Bigbootie, too.

Bigboo-TAY!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/jhaleauthor/status/1228107468540186625?s=21

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Most egregious one I've ever seen. He could have been on fire and rushing to jump in a lake, with the Pope and Mr. Rogers begging everyone to stay seated and let him by, and a dozen people still would have obliviously jumped up the second the seatbelt sign went off and blithely ignored the sizzling and screaming behind them as they futzed with their overhead luggage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Good thing he went down the entire aisle telling every single person on the flight (including the flight attendants) that they had to sit still and let him run off first because he’s the most important passenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I assume he told an attendant who then just made the announcement to everyone.