Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's been a long, long time since I watched a WCW PPV. But as I go through the B&V Retro show I'm remembering that I did get some at the time.

Was it Slamboree 99 where Rick Steiner had a dog "attack" Sting backstage but even a little me with bad eyesight saw the dog wasn't doing a damned thing to Sting and everybody in the crowd was maybe shouting "FAKE FAKE FAKE!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Al Green never attacked Sting backstage, why would you lie like that

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

[/quote]

Haha I forgot the mamalukes existed

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I only remember they existed because the one guy broke his dick.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

All I can hear is Lance Storm

"Tore his urethra"

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

And then on his first match back, he did the same terrible move again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0BhADy2wm8

I used to feel guilty for liking Sid because all the online fans treated him like a joke. I loved him so much as a kid but I thought "I liked Warrior as a kid too, maybe I'll outgrow him." I was wrong.

I really do think Sid scores high in every metric you need to be a pro wrestler except for, well, the ability to wrestle. In terms of Look, he has to be an 11/10. If we could bring the Platonic Ideal of a pro wrestler to life, it would look like Sid. He had oodles of charisma and was good on the mic in his own Sid way that worked for him.

I can see why he kept getting work until somebody in WCW ruined his career. A legendary career.

I remember in those old Wrestling Roundtables from WWE which I really liked Bischoff said something like "everybody who got Lex Luger was burned by him." But Lex is another example of a guy with the perfect look and lots of charisma who the fans loved.

But history wants us to think of him and Sid as total failures, like they were given pushes but just couldn't cut it and didn't deserve it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0BhADy2wm8

I used to feel guilty for liking Sid because all the online fans treated him like a joke. I loved him so much as a kid but I thought "I liked Warrior as a kid too, maybe I'll outgrow him." I was wrong.

I really do think Sid scores high in every metric you need to be a pro wrestler except for, well, the ability to wrestle. In terms of Look, he has to be an 11/10. If we could bring the Platonic Ideal of a pro wrestler to life, it would look like Sid. He had oodles of charisma and was good on the mic in his own Sid way that worked for him.

I can see why he kept getting work until somebody in WCW ruined his career. A legendary career.

I remember in those old Wrestling Roundtables from WWE which I really liked Bischoff said something like "everybody who got Lex Luger was burned by him." But Lex is another example of a guy with the perfect look and lots of charisma who the fans loved.

But history wants us to think of him and Sid as total failures, like they were given pushes but just couldn't cut it and didn't deserve it.

I love both Sid and Lex Luger, tbh. Sure, they were not the best in ring, although Lex until 97 or 98 was much better than people think, but they both were still good.

Sid had that "I will loving end your life" charisma, which will carry somebody much farther than being competent in the ring but boring as hell out of it, and Lex had a bunch of good matches. Rewatching old Nitros, Lex was incredibly loving over, and should have held the title for a month instead of that week they gave him.

As for Lex burning people, did he really? Or did he know his own worth and not let promoters walk over him? He was the first to use an agent to get a better deal, remember, and who can loving blame him?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sid had one of my favorite jobber squashes ever, where he beat the guy into a stretcher job. Then he jumped out of the ring to help out the paramedics. Wheeled the guy up the ramp, then turned around and launched the stretcher back down the ramp

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sid/Steiner at Starrcade was also much, much better than it had any right to be.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbyV7zj5dvA

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spice still looks good

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Luger was a guy who, when he saw the writing on the wall that the company he was working for didn't give a poo poo about him, stopped giving a poo poo about them in return.

This made him the bad guy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love how the crowd is hotter during the dying days of Nitro than the average Raw these days

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Luger was a guy who, when he saw the writing on the wall that the company he was working for didn't give a poo poo about him, stopped giving a poo poo about them in return.

This made him the bad guy.

wrestling_promoters.txt

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Love how the crowd is hotter during the dying days of Nitro than the average Raw these days

I was thinking that, too. They were giving away lots of tickets by this point but there was hope even at the end of '99.

It's depressing.

Randaconda posted:

I love both Sid and Lex Luger, tbh. Sure, they were not the best in ring, although Lex until 97 or 98 was much better than people think, but they both were still good.

Sid had that "I will loving end your life" charisma, which will carry somebody much farther than being competent in the ring but boring as hell out of it, and Lex had a bunch of good matches. Rewatching old Nitros, Lex was incredibly loving over, and should have held the title for a month instead of that week they gave him.

As for Lex burning people, did he really? Or did he know his own worth and not let promoters walk over him? He was the first to use an agent to get a better deal, remember, and who can loving blame him?

I think people tend to remember the Lex Express and use that to conclude Luger was a failure. As opposed to it was Vince being Vince and having zero creativity. And it wasn't like he failed to get over even with the Knockoff Hulk hogan gimmick. He just wasn't Hulk Hogan. That's hardly a slight, there have been tons of huge names in pro wrestling who never achieved Hogan levels of success. Most of them in fact.

And of course he then went on to be mega over in WCW but they never properly utilized him at all.

This must all be Luger's fault, obviously. That's what I thought Eric was saying.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

I was thinking that, too. They were giving away lots of tickets by this point but there was hope even at the end of '99.

It's depressing.

I think people tend to remember the Lex Express and use that to conclude Luger was a failure. As opposed to it was Vince being Vince and having zero creativity. And it wasn't like he failed to get over even with the Knockoff Hulk hogan gimmick. He just wasn't Hulk Hogan. That's hardly a slight, there have been tons of huge names in pro wrestling who never achieved Hogan levels of success. Most of them in fact.

And of course he then went on to be mega over in WCW but they never properly utilized him at all.

This must all be Luger's fault, obviously. That's what I thought Eric was saying.

Lex isn't mentioned enough when it comes to wrestlers screwed by terrible booking. There was a lot of matches where, if he had won, it would have made a lot of difference. Hell, he could have beat Yoko at Summerslam, then if they still wanted Bret to win at Wrestlemania, either have him lose it back at the Rumble, or turn heel on Bret. Doubt they would do face vs face with those two.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9fHMY76io&t=8s

And then again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This man got Worst on Interviews of 1999. Democracy fails us yet again.

I'm dying over here.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you and I must have watched different pro wrestlers named Sid. He had a good look - I would not say 11/10 but it was definitely one-of-a-kind and that's a big deal. I would say he was a 5/10 in terms of charisma and a complete disaster on the mic. I remember watching Nitro and always flipping the channel when Sid got a hold of the mic, it was painful to watch.

NikkolasKing posted:

That's hardly a slight, there have been tons of huge names in pro wrestling who never achieved Hogan levels of success. Most of them in fact.

Haha, well that's an understatement. I haven't watched wrestling in many years, but from what I've been hearing, nobody in pro wrestling has come even close to Hogan since the Austin/Rock/Goldberg days.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sid on the mic worked for him. I know, objectively, it should be terrible, but it worked.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Sid on the mic worked for him. I know, objectively, it should be terrible, but it worked.

Well it didn't seem like it was working to me, but hey, maybe he was getting huge pops and/or heat while I had the channel turned (or was fast-forwarding the VHS tape I was watching on Tuesday night).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

Lex isn't mentioned enough when it comes to wrestlers screwed by terrible booking. There was a lot of matches where, if he had won, it would have made a lot of difference. Hell, he could have beat Yoko at Summerslam, then if they still wanted Bret to win at Wrestlemania, either have him lose it back at the Rumble, or turn heel on Bret. Doubt they would do face vs face with those two.

As if the bullshit celebration win at Summerslam wasn't bad enough, a couple weeks later they're doing a podium interview and Vince tells Lex "Hey, maybe you should put the belt on and do your entrance as though you're the champion" and that's actually what happened, complete with meekly handing the title back over to Fuji or Cornette afterwards. That really seems like sabotage in retrospect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

Promos that are funny on YouTube decades later are not good promos. Sid had the same kind of physical charisma as Warrior but neither of them were good promos.

Now, as huge ripped dudes who can't wrestle go, Sid was pretty entertaining. I'd rather watch Sid or Mongo have a hilariously bad match than a lot of WWE stuff these days.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

every time a retro nitro had a match that Vinnie loves and Bryan and Craig hated, I knew I would love it too. Jim Duggan vs Tank Abbott in the dirt worst sloppy brawl imaginable? Yes loving please

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

Promos that are funny on YouTube decades later are not good promos. Sid had the same kind of physical charisma as Warrior but neither of them were good promos.

Now, as huge ripped dudes who can't wrestle go, Sid was pretty entertaining. I'd rather watch Sid or Mongo have a hilariously bad match than a lot of WWE stuff these days.

Mongo would probably have been a pretty good wrestler if he hadn't been so old and beaten up from football, imo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I believe he played his last game in January 1995 and his first match was in June 1996, after training at the Power Plant. That's just not a recipe for success. DDP also trained at the Power Plant in his 30s, but it wasn't his first match and yeah, he wasn't all beat up.

I'm sure Mongo could have been a competent big guy if he had a little more breathing room. Like Sid, he was entertainingly bad. I'd rather see either of them vs. the Nightstalker than Prince Iaukea vs. anyone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I was going to say you're wrong and that Randy Orton is well known to be the platonic ideal, but he is a superstar, not a pro wrestler.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love sid .

I’ll always love sid .

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sid had incredible charisma and was kind of a cool character on promos, but when writers of the day talk about it being wild that he kept getting chances it wasn't just "he sucked."

Sid would literally no show to play softball, walked out of companies on the regular, got into fights with other talent (including stabbing Arn Anderson with scissors) and on top of this had to be paid top dollar despite never really drawing.

All of these things are very cool, but it's wild companies kept paying him because he was tall and muscular.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I SAID DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS???

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEEv0GZNTM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao gently caress yeah

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i will never forget this

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Sid owned and it's a shame he'll be best remembered for snapping his leg like a twig

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite Sid memory is when he destroyed the Barber Shop and he immediately caused a can of shaving cream to explode in his face by hitting it with a chair.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WCW was so much better than current WWE in every way

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sid is america's large rowdy son and I will not hear otherwise.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

overmind2000 posted:

WCW was so much better than current WWE in every way

:agreed:

coconono posted:

Sid is america's large rowdy son and I will not hear otherwise.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Still trying to remember which one of you said "Sid is the very definition of a galoot."