Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bought a top-of-the-line Shark for the wife 2 years ago for V-day, we're still happy with it. Came with a 'free' steam mop that we can't use anymore since we changed flooring, I need to get around to selling that..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Bag vacuums are nice if you have allergies. I have a Miele Olympus and it’s a champ. All the dust and dirt is sealed in the bag so it doesn’t float all over when I empty it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a Dyson Fluffy (smaller, lighter Japan edition) for carpets and portability. It's too powerful for mats and gets hard to steer so I still keep a compact canister vacuum for general cleaning.
Every house I visit in California uses upright vacuums and they're so heavy x____x

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Always. Check. The. Open. Box. Section.

I've been looking for a drawer microwave for my kitchen remodel. The Sharp 24 and 30" versions seemed to have the best or highest reviews. (All drawer microwaves are made by Sharp, just with different branding/facades). So, periodically when walking through Best Buy I'd check them out and then look through the open box appliances to see if there happened to be one there. But they're all very expensive. I was planning to just buy the Ikea cabinet microwave for about $750.

Today I struck gold. Retail for the 24" model with 30" trim kit is $1399. The open-box price was $760. I was ready to buy it at that price. Then the salesman told me they had a hold on it; his manager said the guy with the hold never came to pick it up, so they marked it down to $489.

I bought it for $530 after taxes. :hellyeah:

I got a similar deal on my Samsung gas dryer from the same store a few years ago. Open box price was $500 instead of $800 retail, and my city natural gas service had a $250 rebate for gas dryers with moisture sensors.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peanut posted:

Every house I visit in California uses upright vacuums and they're so heavy x____x

Absolutely true but I love having the weight over the head.
Plus not having a wand/hose is good.
My kids will just have to get out of vacuuming until they're older...

Unfortunately nobody really makes uprights anymore.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Unfortunately nobody really makes uprights anymore.

https://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/uprights.html
https://www.hoover.co.uk/en_GB/uprights
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/upright-vacuum-cleaners/floorcare/vacuum-cleaners/337_3169_30257_xx_ba00011174-bv00309152/xx-criteria.html

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Isn’t nearly every vacuum on the market an upright? It’s the canister vacuums that are the odd ones out.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 9, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fallom posted:

Isn’t nearly every vacuum on the market an upright? I’m confused

The other common type is a base unit with a hose/wand attached, like a shop vac.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

canisters are terrible, I hate mine, i bough a stick vac to avoid having to drag it out

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

canisters are terrible, I hate mine, i bough a stick vac to avoid having to drag it out

Counterpoint: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/proteam-107461-provac-fs6-6-qt-backpack-vacuum-with-103224-tool-kit-120v/196107461.html

Good enough for the people who clean my office, good enough for me. If only I wanted to spend that much on a vaccuum.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Canisters are good for vacuuming the stairs, because gently caress trying to drag and balance an upright. That's about it, though. A mini shop vac is better for most other uses.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Milwaukee M18 battery shop-vac owns stairs.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Nevets posted:

Are you sure that's a stone slab and not just painted concrete?

Pretty sure? The texture and rough facade screams stone. If it's concrete, they went through a great deal of effort to make it look like stone.

Motronic posted:

You're a monster.
It was really ugly brick. Even my wife, who often reigns in my eagerness to "update" things, thought it was ugly and worth painting. I know that doesn't mean much to you, but it's how I knew I wasn't out of line.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm in the process of whitewashing some ugly smeared brick elements outside our house currently, don't listen to the angry brick people and do what ya gotta do.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yeah, I have a dyson. It's flawed and overpriced.
Not sure what the Sebo is like, but everything else listed looks like trash.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

mutata posted:

I'm in the process of whitewashing some ugly smeared brick elements outside our house currently, don't listen to the angry brick people and do what ya gotta do.

Did you by chance try actually limewashing said brick using lime and water? I've thought about eventually trying this on my exterior brick facade, but I've got a lot of other work on my plate on the interior-- and doing exterior work and landscaping is just a lot more back breaking.

When you google "limewashing" you get a lot of people who are just diluting white latex paint in water and painting it onto their brick, but as I understand it, actual limewashing should be just powdered lime and water mixed and then brushed onto the brick-- and it will remain permeable.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 10, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yep! I'm using hydrated lime, water, and table salt. It goes on the consistency of pancake batter and dries a nice clean white. I didn't want to fiddle with water and paint and stuff, especially in the mountain west where we have dry summer days of 100+ degrees and wet winter days below freezing.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 10, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Please post some pictures of the process or results, if you can.

I want to do this one day.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just wanna say, central vacuum rocks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Do I post here in how to get stains off the carpet and things like that?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sure friend, what happened???

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just wanna say, central vacuum rocks.

Curious about this. Each room has a hole for a hose and you walk room to room disconnecting and reconnecting it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
No we have one long hose and with 1-2 outlets that reaches the whole house comfortably.

The thing that really rocks with a central vacuum though is that it doesn't use bags, it doesn't use filters because it vents the air out of the house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd totally go for a central vac, but sadly I have 2 floors.. I guess I could um.. snake it up the laundry chute and get some long rear end hoses.

Maybe this is a call for the electric thread but is there a big no-no for disabling a laundry chute and using it for a power run. I think it'd be an ideal location to box out and stick a wifi mesh / zwave extender.

This would not meet code requirements of stapling the wire as I couldn't really acess it to support it.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 10, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I'd totally go for a central vac, but sadly I have 2 floors.. I guess I could um.. snake it up the laundry chute and get some long rear end hoses.

Maybe this is a call for the electric thread but is there a big no-no for disabling a laundry chute and using it for a power run. I think it'd be an ideal location to box out and stick a wifi mesh / zwave extender.

This would not meet code requirements of stapling the wire as I couldn't really acess it to support it.

Power over ethernet is your friend. You wouldn't even lose your chute. 100meter run length at gig speeds. Low voltage so nothing matters.

Measure the distance with a string and weight. Go to monoprice and buy a preterminated cable of the length you need. Et voilà: wifi where you want it. Or just do regular ethernet, egress the chute and mount a switch somewhere, and then either use POE from the switch or injectors.

Also central vac is so awesome kastein made us stop talking about it in his thread. 2 story makes it better not worse. Installation is another story.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is Ethernet going to be able to Power a WiFi AP?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tater_salad posted:

Yes, if your switch is PoE (power over ethernet), or you have a PoE adapter (usually you have to buy them separately from the AP).

Edit: Like this one- https://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Injector-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 10, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aren’t laundry chutes already a no-no because they’re basically a shortcut for fire to travel between floors?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Power over ethernet is your friend.

Sirotan posted:

Yes, if your switch is PoE (power over ethernet), or you have a PoE adapter (usually you have to buy them separately from the AP).

Edit: Like this one- https://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Injector-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/

Seconded. It's how I'm planning on powering my wifi units.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

It's how all commercial wifi is powered. Just make sure everything supports it. There is a home networking thread that can give you more opinions than you need. A unifi nanohd is what I use.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cool once I"m in the house and get some minor repairs done I'll look into doing some networking. Since it's a 2 story I'm going to imagine I need a mesh or something of the like to make my life not stupid. I have a net-gear wall wart wifi repeater but it's stupid and loses connection quite often which in turn makes my google need to be reset.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok so I still need to sand and paint baseboard trim holes, touch up some of the wall paint, install picture rail, sand and paint door trim, patch and paint doors, install some wood blocks where the registers go since the plaster is too far gone, and install window shades when they arrive....but I finally got to move my bed out of the dang living room on Sunday:

I've had ram board down throughout the entire house for the last 3+ months and it has taken abuse, drops, dragging furniture, paint spills, liquid, etc and the floors underneath were loving pristine. After all the hard work of refinishing the floors, I am so happy to finally be able to see them, even if it's just one room right now.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Fallom posted:

Aren’t laundry chutes already a no-no because they’re basically a shortcut for fire to travel between floors?

That's my assumption as well, but I don't know residential code.

But in any case, Plenum rated cable is likely what you'd want if it's even allowed in the first place. The outer jacket material is designed to burn slower to prevent the spread of fire.

edit:

H110Hawk posted:

Power over ethernet is your friend. You wouldn't even lose your chute. 100meter run length at gig speeds. Low voltage so nothing matters.

Check local laws. Some states require permits even for low voltage work. My state has exceptions for when work is done by licensed electricians, but without a license you need a permit.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 10, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Ok so I still need to sand and paint baseboard trim holes, touch up some of the wall paint, install picture rail, sand and paint door trim, patch and paint doors, install some wood blocks where the registers go since the plaster is too far gone, and install window shades when they arrive....but I finally got to move my bed out of the dang living room on Sunday:

I've had ram board down throughout the entire house for the last 3+ months and it has taken abuse, drops, dragging furniture, paint spills, liquid, etc and the floors underneath were loving pristine. After all the hard work of refinishing the floors, I am so happy to finally be able to see them, even if it's just one room right now.

Looks good!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heckin fresh and I like the dark walls

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

That's my assumption as well, but I don't know residential code.

But in any case, Plenum rated cable is likely what you'd want if it's even allowed in the first place. The outer jacket material is designed to burn slower to prevent the spread of fire.

Check local laws. Some states require permits even for low voltage work. My state has exceptions for when work is done by licensed electricians, but without a license you need a permit.

This is more of a temporary extension cord than an installation. (It's pre-terminated on both ends.) Plenum cable is a good idea though. :v:

I think even if it was required I would still never in my life pull a permit for running an ethernet cable in my own residence. You consider your own personal lawlessness risk factor though.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a permit for the Ethernet and coax I ran through the walls of my house last summer.

Which reminds me, I still need to go around and put in fire block...

edit:

I can see the desire to require permits on account of this very discussion. If Joe Homeowner is blowing holes between floors and installing cable that has a jacket made out of matchsticks, then that's kind of a problem.

It's not that the wiring itself is a hazard, it's that creating air flow paths and filling a small fraction of it with flammable plastic is bad news.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 10, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I gotta have a bunch of electrical work done so thanks thread for telling me I should get that all finished and inspected before I start running my own ethernet. :ninja:

Edit: Ok, I found the actual residential code and looks like if you are in Michigan you're fine:

quote:

Services within the scope of the code shall be limited to 120/240 volt, 0- to 400-ampere, single-phase systems.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I gotta have a bunch of electrical work done so thanks thread for telling me I should get that all finished and inspected before I start running my own ethernet. :ninja:

Edit: Ok, I found the actual residential code and looks like if you are in Michigan you're fine:

You might find it pretty marginally more expensive to just have your electrician do it if you are having extensive work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

peanut posted:

Sure friend, what happened???

Okay.

I got one stain from spilling water with Mio (that flavor extract) on the carpet floor so there is a reddish purple spot on it. The carpet is above average thick and is tan.

There is also dried piss on the outside of the toilet that I can't get out with a scrubber and bleach. (Feel free to ridicule my lack of cleasiness).

How do I get these two things off?