Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have only played (so far) Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, but I loved 0 so much that I immediately played and completed Kiwami 1 in a week.

Yakuza 0 is wonderful in every single way. So far if I could only play a single game it would be 0. Just a kicking rad game + story! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yak0s OST loving rules as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExPW6UVkvkE

Hype for getting further into the series to see if there are other songs as massive as Pledge of Demon and Two Dragons

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
ROUGE OF LOVE

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yakuza has earned the right to be experienced in full, warts and all. Tomorrow I get 5 at last and it and 6 will be played back to back. At last the journey will be complete

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bushisms.txt posted:

Does the game at least play like butter?

Lmao I get this reference and appreciate it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yakuza 1 and 2 were both written by someone who had also written Yakuza crime novels, which is why the tone changes after 2. 1 also is very much a game where they didn't really know at the time the direction the series should go in, as well.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Yakuza 0 is both the best and worst Yakuza game for me because it's the only one I've played.

So far.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

5 is overall worse than 4 imo. Saejima's chapter is terrible in many ways (boring town, another prison segment but it's even longer this time). Haruka's chapter is fine except it only has like 2 songs which makes the large number of dance battles tedious

0, Kiwami 2, and 6 are the best by a pretty fair margin.

yeah it became clear to me, starting from 0 and going up with the remakes (well kiwami 1 and 2, the ps4 ports of 3, 4, and 5 weren't out when i played them), that there's a pretty obvious reason why these games didn't really hit until 0.

3 i could tell was dated and old just because of qualities of life differences but i still liked what it was doing, 4 and 5 were just massive slogs because i didn't care about most of the non-kiryu characters, save for maybe the cop and the baseball guy (and i clearly don't remember their names).

still haven't started 6 yet but if i have to break saejima out of prison again i'm going to flip a table. he can stay in boring fuckwad prison so better characters can do something interesting

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

oh poo poo i wonder if one of the platinum 4 is viewtiful joe on steam

one week ago today when they announced the wonderful 101 port, folks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
y5 is the best yakuza game if you're like me and the best parts of Yakuza games are the side activities

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Is it Yak6 that has the NJPW wrestlers? Because that one will probably be my favorite when I get to it in 2027 or so

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza 1 and 2 were both written by someone who had also written Yakuza crime novels, which is why the tone changes after 2. 1 also is very much a game where they didn't really know at the time the direction the series should go in, as well.

Let me tell you, the Kiwami games do not bridge that gap elegantly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
K1 is a mess but K2 was tied with 5/0 for best in the series for me. Probably the one game that completely nails the "japanese crime film as video game" thing- the later games get really divergent.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think what worries me is that the further i get from zero, the less engaging the games are going to be

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kiwami 1 and to a lesser extent 2 do kinda feel like cheap DLC of Zero rather than full on remakes of the original two games, especially in some of the side content. But it's still very fun to punch fellows in them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm hype for the turn based yakuza

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think what worries me is that the further i get from zero, the less engaging the games are going to be
not true, that mostly just applies to 1 and 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Another weird thing about Yugioh is that cards that are popular get more support and there is both no end of life for cards and the rules have to support cards based on their literal names. So there are like 8 billion good cards for all different kinds of Dark Magician bullshit but if you like a less popular card prepare to get dunked on because you simply have way less cards that work with yours.

You will take channel, fireball, and moxes from my cold, 1 life remaining hands.

I used to play it in high school. My deck was based around "Thousand Eyes Restrict", which had a War and Peace sized list of things it did that boiled down to "when down, it can turn an enemy card into a buff for itself. No one else gets to attack or defend or change position, gently caress you." I also had a bunch of cards that restricted how many more cards the other player could put down, cards that forced everyone to block forever (for when the Restrict wasn't out), cards that instantly destroyed everything on the other person's side and some card that built up counters, and when you want to, you destroy it and they take damage equal to however many counters (as well as a counter spell for anyone trying to send that damage back to me). I also had a card that just reset the game. You shuffle everything back together and act like nothing ever happened. The entire deck was based around preventing the other person from playing the game or having fun. gently caress you.

It ultimately failed because of the ten-billion-dark-magicians decks that alpha strike you in one turn because they're all free summons and spells and immune to everything and you can't do anything about it and it rotates into itself so as long as you draw one card out of thirty of them, you win.

Yugioh is dumb as gently caress.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

homeless snail posted:

not true, that mostly just applies to 1 and 2

Well that's good to hear!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My shining achievement in Dumb Card Games For Babies though was playing Magic online in a 3 player game so I finally had all the cards I needed to make my sliver deck good and long story short I was able to set up the combo bringing out infinite slivers of varying types, something I could never do because I didn't spend hundreds on a single card in real life because I'm not insane, except another player had a squirrel deck, and ALSO brought out a combo for infinite squirrels, and we had to take a break to do some real big boy math to figure out which set of infinite numbers was greater.

It was the squirrels

Player 3 didn't win :v:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

precision posted:

Lmao I get this reference and appreciate it

Thank you for sharing in my immediate existential crisis at their response

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SeXReX posted:

the correct answer is all

Regy Rusty posted:

Yakuza has earned the right to be experienced in full, warts and all. Tomorrow I get 5 at last and it and 6 will be played back to back. At last the journey will be complete

:yeah:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Gonna bulldoze the Yakuza games and them restart my Judgement play which I lost the save from but in Japanese this time

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Judgement has extremely strong cat energy. Lots of good kitties in that one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

5 is overall worse than 4 imo. Saejima's chapter is terrible in many ways (boring town, another prison segment but it's even longer this time). Haruka's chapter is fine except it only has like 2 songs which makes the large number of dance battles tedious

0, Kiwami 2, and 6 are the best by a pretty fair margin.

5 has "The Santa Hunters" though

Infinitum posted:

Yak0s OST loving rules as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExPW6UVkvkE

Hype for getting further into the series to see if there are other songs as massive as Pledge of Demon and Two Dragons

This is my favorite one so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61-AJIZFCk

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I used to play it in high school. My deck was based around "Thousand Eyes Restrict", which had a War and Peace sized list of things it did that boiled down to "when down, it can turn an enemy card into a buff for itself. No one else gets to attack or defend or change position, gently caress you." I also had a bunch of cards that restricted how many more cards the other player could put down, cards that forced everyone to block forever (for when the Restrict wasn't out), cards that instantly destroyed everything on the other person's side and some card that built up counters, and when you want to, you destroy it and they take damage equal to however many counters (as well as a counter spell for anyone trying to send that damage back to me). I also had a card that just reset the game. You shuffle everything back together and act like nothing ever happened. The entire deck was based around preventing the other person from playing the game or having fun. gently caress you.

It ultimately failed because of the ten-billion-dark-magicians decks that alpha strike you in one turn because they're all free summons and spells and immune to everything and you can't do anything about it and it rotates into itself so as long as you draw one card out of thirty of them, you win.

Yugioh is dumb as gently caress.

I'm pretty sure that card was used by the villain of the first season (who could cheat by magically looking at his opponent's hand) when he was defeated by yugi so this all checks out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lurdiak posted:

Kiwami 1 and to a lesser extent 2 do kinda feel like cheap DLC of Zero rather than full on remakes of the original two games, especially in some of the side content. But it's still very fun to punch fellows in them.

K2 recreated both cities from Zero in a new engine to an even bigger extent than 6 did, and more or less fixed the lovely combat from Y6. K1 was very much an expansion but there's no way K2 is a cheap DLC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat in 6 isn't lovely and it has the most cohesive plot of all the games because it's mostly about relationships and family instead of secret Koreans and rubber bullets

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sucksnoozea

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yakuza 6 was about secret boats and also about not having any side activities because you spent all the budget on the new engine.

I actually like 6 but it's the worst main-line game other than the first one, and doesn't have the excuse of not having figured out what the tone of the series should be yet.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 10, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yuckpooza

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I actually like 6 but it's the worst main-line game other than the first one

Hachi machi that's a spicy meatball

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza 6 was about secret boats and also about not having any side activities because you spent all the budget on the new engine.

I actually like 6 but it's the worst main-line game other than the first one, and doesn't have the excuse of not having figured out what the tone of the series should be yet.

Dude, spoiler tags, jesus. Some of us haven't played it yet.

I forget if that's just a PS4 thread in-joke or not by this point. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SeXReX posted:

I finished up the main story of Coffee Talk. I don't really love the writing, but I can't really get over how they added a whole fluid dynamics shader to their VN so you could make latte art.

I'm three or four days into Eliza, and I think it might actually succeed at what CT, VAetc., Red Strings Club et al set out to do

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't watch very much GX but when I played Yu-gi-oh Online I was using a cool deck made out of these cloud monsters I never saw on the show

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

If this isn't inspired by Tank! you can gently caress me sideways and call me Bethany.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For the record it's pronounced ya-koo-za, not yekza.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats right, yoko kanno invented jazz in 1998

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SeXReX posted:

I love how he doesn't bother to read the whole text of the card he's never seen before and just attacks right into it

I don't envy someone having to try to write an exciting story built around card game mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV07YSuKNk4

This is as good as it gets though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know it's not a new game but I don't have search and I can't find any threads for Rust here. Do we have one?