Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Has Taratino not won an oscar yet? Lets hope his last movie is a good one, it would be a serious shame to have one of the best directors of post 90s to finish his career without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

coronavirus posted:

Has Taratino not won an oscar yet? Lets hope his last movie is a good one, it would be a serious shame to have one of the best directors of post 90s to finish his career without one.
2 for writing but not for directing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/APEntertainment/status/1226839731473809408

https://mobile.twitter.com/KnivesOut/status/1226726898073362432

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

General Dog posted:

Who are these mythical Joker stans you speak of? I’ve never encountered one irl or online. I remember lots of handwringing prior to the movies release that it might become some sort of alt-right/incel cultural touchstone, but as far as I’ve seen or read, it came out and basically everyone fell somewhere between “that wasn’t very good” and “that was okay I guess”.

https://twitter.com/ElRafaFTW/status/1226730229722279937?s=19

https://twitter.com/YellowFlashGuy/status/1226737150277844993?s=19

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Ingram/status/1226845317573808128?s=19

You can find these people on Twitter.com. The only social media I use is Twitter so my dataset is admittedly skewed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nevermind

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 10, 2020

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Is there really any value in posting tweets like that?

I’d rather be celebrating this surreal existence where the Memories of Murder guy became crown prince of Hollywood

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Is there really any value in posting tweets like that?

I’d rather be celebrating this surreal existence where the Memories of Murder guy became crown prince of Hollywood

Ill delete it

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of, if any of you Parasite fans haven't seen Memories of Murder yet, its an absolute much watch. Much better movie to me than Parasite, and I thought Parasite was fantastic.Its also streaming for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tw66BBdDw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
loving minorities amirite?

where's my best anime oscar category

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tarantino not winning for Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood means he'll get all the awards for his 10th & final film, which could possibly be a letdown compared to his previous films. Kind of like Scorsese getting his Oscar for The Departed or Peter Jackson for Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

coronavirus posted:

Speaking of, if any of you Parasite fans haven't seen Memories of Murder yet, its an absolute much watch. Much better movie to me than Parasite, and I thought Parasite was fantastic.Its also streaming for free.

My problem with MoM (and some of Bongs other films) have been that they didn’t find the right balance - or perhaps mixture - of seriousness and goofiness... there are points in MoM that border on Keystone Cops despite the overarching subject matter being dark/serious. Felt like I was experiencing whiplash.

Parasite seemed to solve that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://youtu.be/LMxTFqPET5I

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Android Apocalypse posted:

Tarantino not winning for Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood means he'll get all the awards for his 10th & final film, which could possibly be a letdown compared to his previous films. Kind of like Scorsese getting his Oscar for The Departed or Peter Jackson for Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Jack and Jill and the Hill directed by Quentin Tarantino

starring Adam Sandler reprising his role as Jack and Jill, with Quentin Tarantino guest starring as The Hill

it will win all nominated categories including best pic/dir save one for supporting actor: al pacino

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Departed was really,really good though. I guess you could have qualms with Nicholson's too Nicholsony performance, but its an incredibly good detective/undercover/mob movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zenintrude posted:

My problem with MoM (and some of Bongs other films) have been that they didn’t find the right balance - or perhaps mixture - of seriousness and goofiness... there are points in MoM that border on Keystone Cops despite the overarching subject matter being dark/serious. Felt like I was experiencing whiplash.

Parasite seemed to solve that.

This is how I felt about Okja. Gyllenhaal and Swinton's characters in particular were so cartoonish it turned me off of the movie.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cacator posted:

This is how I felt about Okja. Gyllenhaal and Swinton's characters in particular were so cartoonish it turned me off of the movie.

I wanted to like Okja so much but just could not. I don’t really “get” Bong in a broader sense. In fact I find him kind of irritating. But Parasite was fairly clearly the best movie of the year and I was happy to see it win.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Parasite was just laser focused and honed in a way that makes it a whole new level for Bong. Hard to imagine it not being the high water mark for his career when it's all said and done, I mean it would be for almost any filmmaker. It's that good.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I hope it gets a prolonged theatrical run now so I can see it again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That tonal whiplash is my favourite part of Korean cinema.

Keeps things interesting.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Looking forward to some kind of scholarly or journalistic postmortem on Parasite's domestic distribution because film quality notwithstanding, its success is undoubtedly anomalous. The real question is: are we in new zeitgeist where there's a large enough audience to support big marketing pushes for dope foreign movies or is this just a glitch in the system, a footnote logged by the industry for the sake of their own dignity?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
At least in terms of money, it's not that huge of an outlier. Every few years there's a Crouching Tiger, Life is Beautiful, Pan's Labyrinth that makes a decent chunk of change in America.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Looking forward to some kind of scholarly or journalistic postmortem on Parasite's domestic distribution because film quality notwithstanding, its success is undoubtedly anomalous. The real question is: are we in new zeitgeist where there's a large enough audience to support big marketing pushes for dope foreign movies or is this just a glitch in the system, a footnote logged by the industry for the sake of their own dignity?

I think it's in part because there's very little middle ground between bland, kid-friendly blockbusters and art house pictures anymore. If an adult doesn't want to watch Frozen or Star Wars, there aren't a lot of mainstream movies for them to turn to, so they're a lot more likely to give something like Parasite or an A24 film a shot than they would have been five or six years ago.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Rewatching The Departed a little while ago it's legit excellent and deserving of its awards, it's just that it barely scratches the Top 10 for Scorsese cause he's set the bar so high.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Does anyone really believe that Tarantino won't go back on his 10 films thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

T Bowl posted:

If he were 10 years older I might believe it, he'd be about 70 after finishing up the next film so maybe a good time to ride off into the sunset. But yea I have a hard time imagining him sitting around through his entire 60s without directing a single film.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

T Bowl posted:

He’ll move on to television commercials only.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

By now it's possible to create a new Tarantino movie out of his previously used tropes:
  • Foot fetish
  • Ruminations on obscure pop-culture.
  • Two minutes of stomach-churning gore
  • A bizarre tendency to cut out climactic action-packed scenes in favor of overlong monologues and digressions. Why was Charles Manson in his last movie if he only has 30 seconds of screen-time?
  • Swathes of underwritten characters who get nothing to do despite the generous run-times.
  • Completely redundant narration.
  • Historical wish-fulfillment.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the main takeaway i got from phoenix's acceptance speech is "this motherfucker has never stepped foot on a farm"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

coronavirus posted:

Departed was really,really good though. I guess you could have qualms with Nicholson's too Nicholsony performance, but its an incredibly good detective/undercover/mob movie.

It wasn't nearly as good as the movie it remade, and the movie it remade had better acting, on top of that.

The year Infernal Affairs was released, Million Dollar Baby got Best Picture. Ask yourself if Departed is better than Million Dollar Baby, and then compare the better Infernal Affairs to it. That's the comparison factor that always hangs over Departed.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

So I think I won the vote linked in the OP here, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. (It just means I follow awards season way too drat closely.)

Really happy to be wrong on my big two predictions, though!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Departed was basically the Academy giving Scorsese an early lifetime achievement award to make up for ignoring him for the last 30 years prior.

But it was not the best movie that year (Babel , Little Miss Sunshine, and Letters from Iwo Jima were superior)

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 10, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

If he were 10 years older I might believe it, he'd be about 70 after finishing up the next film so maybe a good time to ride off into the sunset. But yea I have a hard time imagining him sitting around through his entire 60s without directing a single film.

I don't know, I could totally see him devoting all his time to starting his own film festival or something like that. At heart he still feels like that movie store clerk that just has to show you these awesome films you probably missed out on.

Or even spending the following 15 years putting out shorts that somehow all tie together when you watch them in the right order.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 10, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The real shame is that it didn't get a very wide release. Did it play anywhere outside of New York and LA? I heard all of these great things about it when it came out, but never had any opportunity to see it until it hit digital in January.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

General Dog posted:

The real shame is that it didn't get a very wide release. Did it play anywhere outside of New York and LA? I heard all of these great things about it when it came out, but never had any opportunity to see it until it hit digital in January.

It hit 1,060 theaters, and I saw it in Chicago.

Edit: looks like its widest push was late January until today.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 10, 2020

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

morestuff posted:

It hit 1,060 theaters, and I saw it in Chicago.

Edit: looks like its widest push was late January until today.

It's been playing ever since October in Philly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't know, I could totally see him devoting all his time to starting his own film festival or something like that. At heart he still feels like that movie store clerk that just has to show you these awesome films you probably missed out on.

Or even spending the following 15 years putting out shorts that somehow all tie together when you watch them in the right order.

He should give me some money.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Black Lighter posted:

It's been playing ever since October in Philly.

Yeah I saw it at the artsy theater in Center City but I know it was out in the burbs at your Regals and your AMCs and such because I was planning on seeing it at one of those in I believe November but was too hungover.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Even though I didn't care for it personally, it is still a slightly subversive choice to give Renee that nod for Judy considering its, even more than One Upon A Time, a movie about how Hollywood's capacity and proclivity to chew up and spit people out.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see him on a True Detective scale project. 8-10 hours with good production quality and full creative license, with movie caliber actors.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The Departed was basically the Academy giving Scorsese an early lifetime achievement award to make up for ignoring him for the last 30 years prior.

But it was not the best movie that year (Babel , Little Miss Sunshine, and Letters from Iwo Jima were superior)

At the end of the day, The Departed winning isn't a tragedy. It was a very good movie with 1st rate actors and a 1st rate director with a good story. Its not a travesty of a best picture win like Shakespare in Love or Chicago or Braveheart.

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkC5VcbiWsQ

This man now has an Oscar.