Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ola posted:

How much RAM do you have? I have had one single out of memory situation across two laptops with 8 gig and it was due to a Java app I had written myself. :kiddo:

On 4 gigs, both Chrome and old Firefox would poo poo themselves fairly often.

Pretty sure I'm working with 16 gigs, and FF has never eaten it all AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nth Doctor posted:

Has anyone noticed an uptick in out of memory errors since ~72.0.0? I leave a tab open on my home PC that refreshes every few minutes via location.reload() via an add-on and I start seeing it crash after ~5 hours. It's really annoying.

I've very rarely had out of memory errors, before or after 72. And when I have it's been directly because some site has javascript coded by a monkey that is immediately causing the problem (local news sites linked in gbs threads have been the most frequent culprit).

Which extension are you using, it seems pretty obvious that it is leaking memory when doing reloading.

edit: or the page is doing the leaking, if it has elements like scripts that create zombie compartments during the reload

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 6, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is it literally an "out of memory" error from the OS and a crashed browser or is it "something something memory" from the browser and a crashed tab? I'm guessing it's the latter and the root cause is, as indicated, buggy javascript.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Klyith posted:

I've very rarely had out of memory errors, before or after 72. And when I have it's been directly because some site has javascript coded by a monkey that is immediately causing the problem (local news sites linked in gbs threads have been the most frequent culprit).

Which extension are you using, it seems pretty obvious that it is leaking memory when doing reloading.

edit: or the page is doing the leaking, if it has elements like scripts that create zombie compartments during the reload

So the site is the facebook pokes page, and the extension is one I wrote myself that only runs on that page. I didn't make any changes for months before 72 came out, and only noticed problems after the big security update we got recently.

My extension doesn't do a whole lot:
code:
var AutoPoke = {
  refreshHandle : null,
  toClick : [],
  maxSecondsToWait : 300,

initializeToClick : function(){
    this.toClick["Person1"] = {
      waitingToClick:false,
      id:1234
    };

this.toClick["Person2"] = {
      id:4567
    };

this.toClick["Person3"] = {
      id:7890
    };

this.toClick["Person4"] = {
      id:0123
    };
  },

//New approach:
  //On pageload, do findToClick, check, and click.
  //Delay between 1 and 300 seconds.
  //Refresh the page
  findToClick : function()
  {
    var needToCheck = [];
    var foundSome = false;
    for(var i in this.toClick){
      if(this.toClick[i].waitingToClick == false){
        needToCheck.push(this.toClick[i]);
      }
    }

if(needToCheck.length == 0){
      return;
    }

var collection = document.getElementsByTagName('a');
    for(var i=0;i<collection.length;i++)
    {
      if(collection[i].hasAttribute)
      {
        if(collection[i].hasAttribute("ajaxify"))
        {
          for(var j=0;j<needToCheck.length;j++)
          {
            if(collection[i].getAttribute("ajaxify").includes("&is_hide=0&poke_target=" + needToCheck[j].id + "&"))
            {
              this.clickIt(collection[i], needToCheck[j]);
              foundSome = true;
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }

return foundSome;
  },

clickIt : function(toClick, tracker){
    tracker.waitingToClick = true;
    this.clickAndReset(toClick, tracker);
  },

clickAndReset : function(toClick, tracker){
    toClick.click();
    tracker.waitingToClick = false;
  },

getParameterByName : function(name) {
    var url = window.location.href;
    name = name.replace(/[\[\]]/g, "\\$&");
    var regex = new RegExp("[?&]" + name + "(=([^&#]*)|&|#|$)"),
        results = regex.exec(url);
    if (!results) return null;
    if (!results[2]) return '';
    return decodeURIComponent(results[2].replace(/\+/g, " "));
  },

injectForm : function(parentElement, offerEnable){
    var form = parentElement.appendChild(document.createElement('form'));
    form.name = 'autoClickForm';
    form.id = 'autoClickForm';
    form.action = this.getPathFromUrl(window.location.href);

var button = form.appendChild(document.createElement('button'));
    button.type = 'submit';
    button.name = 'autopoke';
    button.id = 'autopoke';
    button.form = 'autoClickForm';
    button.value = offerEnable;

if(offerEnable){
      button.innerText = 'Enable Autopoke';
    }
    else{
      button.innerText = 'Disable Autopoke';
    }

form.addEventListener('submit',
      function(){
        setTimeout(
          function(){
            window.location.reload();
          },
        );
      }
    );

},

getPathFromUrl : function(url) {
    return url.split(/[?#]/)[0];
  },

runAtLoad : function(){
    var element = document.getElementById("poke_live_new").parentElement;
    if(this.getParameterByName('autopoke') === 'true'){
      this.initializeToClick();
      this.injectForm(element, false);
      element.style.border = '5px solid red';
      var ignore = this.findToClick();
      this.scheduleTimeout();
    }
    else{
      this.injectForm(element, true);
      element.style.border = '5px solid green';
    }
  },

onTimeoutEnd : function(){
    if(AutoPoke.findToClick() === false){
      location.reload();
    }
    else{
      AutoPoke.scheduleTimeout();
    }
  },

scheduleTimeout : function(){
    var timeToWait = Math.floor((Math.random() * this.maxSecondsToWait) + 1) * 1000;
    this.refreshHandle = setTimeout(AutoPoke.onTimeoutEnd, timeToWait);
    console.log(this.refreshHandle);
  }
};

AutoPoke.runAtLoad();
I have a list of people to poke, scan the page for if there's a "So and so poked you, poke back" button for them, and if there is: click it.
Sometimes the ajax to grab fresh data from FB would die, so I baked in a refresh of the page itself.

The only thing I do that is outside of the scope of the AutoPoke object is the setTimeout() calls, the injection of the form element, and console.log()

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/WindowsLatest/status/1226184938552098817

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's just a reminder to turn off start menu suggestions/ads :colbert:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

orcane posted:

It's just a reminder to turn off start menu suggestions/ads :colbert:

Why would anyone leave that enabled.

That's the advertisement tiles setting. Turn it off and remove all tiles, you won't get any new added.
I turned this off when I first installed Windows 10, several years ago. It has never been flipped back on me, and I have never seen any tiles I didn't add myself in the Start menu.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nielsm posted:

Why would anyone leave that enabled.

That's the advertisement tiles setting. Turn it off and remove all tiles, you won't get any new added.
I turned this off when I first installed Windows 10, several years ago. It has never been flipped back on me, and I have never seen any tiles I didn't add myself in the Start menu.

It’s on by default so reinstalling windows causes it to come back, something I’ve had/wanted to do with some regularity.

The problem, too, is that saving PDFs I open from an email after viewing them in Edge causes it to crash. So now I’m out a lightweight PDF viewer. I can’t believe it but I want preview.app for PC now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s on by default so reinstalling windows causes it to come back, something I’ve had/wanted to do with some regularity.

The problem, too, is that saving PDFs I open from an email after viewing them in Edge causes it to crash. So now I’m out a lightweight PDF viewer. I can’t believe it but I want preview.app for PC now.

I wonder if they'll bring back the win8 pdf reader app. Guessing not.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jokes posted:

check out Sumatra

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sumatra is the only reader I've found that does EPUB ebooks well. Edge used to be the loving gold standard of PDF / EPUB rendering, but Microsoft removed all that support when switching to Chromium.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nalin posted:

Sumatra is the only reader I've found that does EPUB ebooks well. Edge used to be the loving gold standard of PDF / EPUB rendering, but Microsoft removed all that support when switching to Chromium.

Sumatra isn't very good IMHO, you can't change font on the fly and it has frequent formatting fuckups (run into several books where all text is centered).

Firefox used to be my main ebook reader with the epubreader addon, but the new version is just not as good compared to the pre-57 classic extension. One of the two extensions I was most unhappy about losing. Switched to edge for a while but then that got taken away too.

Now I swap between Firefox w/ epubreader and Calibre depending on the book. Firefox has nicer text rendering, Calibre has better formatting overrides and bookmarks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Foxit for PDFs?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s the xodo pdf reader on the windows App Store that works real well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

Sumatra isn't very good IMHO, you can't change font on the fly and it has frequent formatting fuckups (run into several books where all text is centered).

Firefox used to be my main ebook reader with the epubreader addon, but the new version is just not as good compared to the pre-57 classic extension. One of the two extensions I was most unhappy about losing. Switched to edge for a while but then that got taken away too.

Now I swap between Firefox w/ epubreader and Calibre depending on the book. Firefox has nicer text rendering, Calibre has better formatting overrides and bookmarks.

Sumatra is the only one I've tried that lets you zoom in and pan on artwork in an EPUB. Reading a fantasy book and come across a map with small text? You're hosed.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
FireFox 73 has added global page zoom. loving finally. It's absence has been my biggest irritation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Does that do something beyond what ctrl-up does?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Does that do something beyond what ctrl-up does?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Control + page up changes tabs and control + arrow up just scrolls the screen.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

OhFunny posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Control + page up changes tabs and control + arrow up just scrolls the screen.

He probably meant Ctrl+Plus, which has zoomed in since forever.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe it zooms while retaining all ratios instead of simply increasing element/font sizes? On some pages, if you zoom in to make a picture bigger, it's actually the margins that get bigger and the image smaller.

Example: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=170545470

Click on a picture to open the image carousel, then zoom with ctrl +.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the new part is that you can apply a default zoom level for all sites? Existing zoom levels are stored on a per-site basis so if you first visit them they always start at 100%.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 16, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ah, global like that. Not a very useful feature. Zoom does all kinds of different things to sites and sites obviously come in all sorts of sizes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ola posted:

Ah, global like that. Not a very useful feature. Zoom does all kinds of different things to sites and sites obviously come in all sorts of sizes.
You have no idea how frustrating it is to have poor vision and know that despite all websites having different font and design sizes, they're still not made for either people who can't see very well, or being viewed while sitting at 3 meters distance instead of 40-60cm (ie. viewing websites on a TV connected to a HTPC). I fall into both categories, depending on what I'm doing.
EDIT: The latter even has a name, it's called 10-foot user interface.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

You have no idea how frustrating it is to have poor vision and know that despite all websites having different font and design sizes, they're still not made for either people who can't see very well, or being viewed while sitting at 3 meters distance instead of 40-60cm (ie. viewing websites on a TV connected to a HTPC). I fall into both categories, depending on what I'm doing.
EDIT: The latter even has a name, it's called 10-foot user interface.

No I don't. I wish all web sites conformed to the best accessibility standards and everyone on the web had the same ease of use. If a global zoom level helps, that's good. But bad design and poor accessibility isn't just about size, and zoom often breaks the layout. I have more or less perfect vision, but I often find myself using reader view, because many web sites are such utter shitpiles.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I don't think WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) cares about the 10-foot user interface.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ola posted:

No I don't. I wish all web sites conformed to the best accessibility standards and everyone on the web had the same ease of use. If a global zoom level helps, that's good. But bad design and poor accessibility isn't just about size, and zoom often breaks the layout. I have more or less perfect vision, but I often find myself using reader view, because many web sites are such utter shitpiles.
It's been ages since web design broke when zooming; quite often nowadays with containers zooming just gets you a mobile design which is perfectly serviceable for 10-foot view.

The Merkinman posted:

I don't think WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) cares about the 10-foot user interface.
Maybe not, but nobody cares about WCAG so :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Really? I zoom pretty much any website I visit, never noticed any problems. Zoom doesn't break layouts (well, at least as long as you're not doing a 300% zoom). And that's not really surprising, considering today's environment of all kinds of different devices. Being able to set 125% or 150% as a default is very useful.

There's a reason global zoom has been standard in pretty much all non-Firefox browsers for years.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 16, 2020

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ola posted:

Zoom should do the same thing as having a different screen resolution. If that breaks anything, it's probably a bug in the browser.

And a site following accessibility standards won't do anything for "I just need it all bigger".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

Zoom should do the same thing as having a different screen resolution. If that breaks anything, it's probably a bug in the browser.

And a site following accessibility standards won't do anything for "I just need it all bigger".

As I mentioned, look at this car ad. https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=170545470 Click the pic to open the image carousel. Then Ctrl + to make the image of the car bigger. Does it get bigger?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

As I mentioned, look at this car ad. https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=170545470 Click the pic to open the image carousel. Then Ctrl + to make the image of the car bigger. Does it get bigger?

1. Holy poo poo that car is expensive.
2. Yes, it doesn't work for certain pages. I do not personally know wtf is wrong with those pages, but yeah, some web developers go out of their way to screw browsers. It does work on most websites though.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Zoom increases the size of the elements around the picture, and the picture itself is scaled to the window size. Everything works as expected. Zoom is page zoom, not a magnifier.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 17, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So many users frustrated they could never quite tell what that man was doing to his rear end in a top hat can finally zoom in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Saukkis posted:

He probably meant Ctrl+Plus, which has zoomed in since forever.

I meant 'up' with the mousewheel which does the same.

My bad for the confusion.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lambert posted:

Zoom increases the size of the elements around the picture, and the picture itself is scaled to the window size. Everything works as expected. Zoom is page zoom, not a magnifier.

Yeah. If I set my screen/window to 720p, versus if I set my screen/window to 1440p and zoom to 200%, that page looks exactly the same. That's what zoom is supposed to do. The CSS pixels get bigger, but the window is now fewer CSS pixels wide.

If you want to have a virtual window size that's bigger than your actual window, that would also be a possible feature, but it would have weird issues like double scroll bars on some pages.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Having a weird issue with Firefox lately, where randomly left clicks will start acting like right clicks (ie. open the right click menu). It only happens in Firefox and restarting the browser seems to (temporarily) fix it. Can't find anything about it online. Very weird. Any thoughts?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I got a notification for updating uBlock the other day, asking for new permissions.

From the add-on page:

quote:

Release notes for 1.25.0
Changes:

uBO requires a new permission, dns, which is required to solve issue 780. This may triggers a new permission warning from Firefox when uBO updates to the latest dev build, specifically "Access IP address and hostname information", even though this was already possible for uBO to access that information.

From now on uBO will CNAME-uncloak network requests. CNAME-uncloaked network requests will appear as blue entries in the popup panel and the logger. The uncloaked entries in the popup panel will also show the related aliases (in smaller characters underneath the canonical names).

Network requests which were blocked, redirected, or excepted by a filter/rule are not uncloaked. Canonical hostnames which are first party to the associated alias hostname are not fed back into uBO's filtering engine.

Warning: CNAME-aliased hostnames exist most likely for content delivery purpose, i.e. legitimate.

I haven't installed the update yet, because I wanted to ask if it was still secure. The release notes make it sound like it should be fine, but I wanted to double-check.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I got a notification for updating uBlock the other day, asking for new permissions.

From the add-on page:

I haven't installed the update yet, because I wanted to ask if it was still secure. The release notes make it sound like it should be fine, but I wanted to double-check.

This is a really cool feature and definitely worth granting permissions for.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ghacks explains it to folks, like me, who don't know what it is: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/02/26/if-you-run-ublock-origin-use-the-firefox-version-as-it-offers-better-protection/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's insanely annoying if you use uBlock in "3rd-party scripts blocked unless whitelisted" mode, because now even resources that used to count as first-party are now revealed to be on some CDN edge network and thus blocked.

I use ublock for adblocking first, page loading speed and resource use second, and privacy a distant third. So just personally it way exceeds how much I might care about stealth tracker scripts spying on me vs hassle to make the internet work.

edit: also the other potential pitfall that I've seen is where adspamcdn.com (which I don't have whitelisted) is actually CNAME'd to normal AWS or Akami or Cloudflare (which I do have whitelisted because the internet runs on those). I haven't experimented to see exactly what happens there, I think adspamcdn's scripts are still blocked unless both are whitelisted. But it definitely makes things harder to disentangle when you just want to make a website work.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ola posted:

look at this .. ad.

No!