Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Pray it doesn't get loose in the HoP or we're going to be having a lot of by-elections.

Didn't know our MPs spent so much time in the House of Pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

I'm getting pretty scared he actually believes this is a viable idea.

Boris you coward, do the bridge across to the Mull of Kintyre

Doubt it. Again, I think they are just filling the news cycles with anything but brexitwhatever we are allowed to call it now that brexit is done.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
A tunnel so long and so deep it has to surface in the middle of loch neagh

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

We should dig out (literally) those machines that drilled the tunnel, and just make massive underground train tracks to every country within reach.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Conversely though the death rate for those known to be infected is plummeting as the sample size gets larger and less self-selecting - that is, in the early days, it appeared to be highly fatal because it was only being tested for in people already in hospital with secondary pneumonia (who in turn were often those with other pre-existing conditions).

AIUI now that we're actively looking for it (and finding it) in otherwise-healthy people we can make a much clearer estimate at how likely people are to die from it, which it turns out isn't much worse than most flu strains. Which isn't to say that's not a bad thing - people are going to die from it - but that it's not the world-ender that it might have looked even last week.

Even though nobody asked, I've downgraded my own personal health woes from "definitely coronavirus possibly with ebola" to "probably just a nasty cold", because weirdly my lungs seem to have rejected the idea of infection and pushed it all straight back into my nose, which is producing John Selwyn-Gummer levels of mucus but other than that I'm fine.

It's still 20x as deadly as most flu strains at optimistic numbers - a big blow when it's as infectious as it appears, even if that means only 2% of people die from it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

We should dig out (literally) those machines that drilled the tunnel, and just make massive underground train tracks to every country within reach.

In a brave new wooooorld!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Saith posted:

Oh man, I guess Pratchett was wrong, and Pestilence is making a comeback.

Goddamn, and Max Brookes was right about something. The world-ending plague started in China.

This is our chance! The unemployed, who never have reason to leave their homes, will be the only ones to survive. (Non-)workers of the world unite!!!

Yup

*dies of starvation after exhausting Brexit stash a couple of weeks in*.

Wait, I think there was a flaw in this plan.

I've gotta say I'm a LIIITTLE concerned, but I'm not as concerned as the news is making out, and mostly for my wife rather than myself, who whilst not immunocompromised is definitely more vulnerable to chest infections than most people.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Miftan posted:

To be honest with you, after 2019 I'm really skeptical that the ground game actually makes a difference. At least the door knocking aspect. Community events and help on a regular basis probably does, but we don't do enough of that and knocking on someone's door two weeks before an election just isn't cutting through and drowning out everything the media can do.

There was a blog posted here around New Year about a CLP who deliberately avoided door knocking and instead had a bunch of simple but effect ideas to reach the public, such as having a regular presence on the high street. They were one of a handful of Labour constituencies to see an increase in vote share, so yeah I definitely think it's something to look into further.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

xtothez posted:

There was a blog posted here around New Year about a CLP who deliberately avoided door knocking and instead had a bunch of simple but effect ideas to reach the public, such as having a regular presence on the high street. They were one of a handful of Labour constituencies to see an increase in vote share, so yeah I definitely think it's something to look into further.

Isle of Wight, I remember it well.

https://disidealist.wordpress.com/2019/12/16/notes-from-the-cult-it-was-the-campaign-wot-didnt-won-it/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Efficient door knocking is premised on the idea you can't change minds much and that one's main hope is turnout - that if you just ask people who are willing to consider voting Labour to actually show up, they will feel significantly more obliged to show up, and those few percentage points will move the needle for you

It's very much turnout oriented; the idea that you change hostile minds with a 15 minute conversation is assumed to zero or thereabouts (probably negative given that you will motivate them to show up to vote adversarially)

It's perpetually tempting to flee to high-concept theories of mass ideology and political consciousness, but in a politics where rainfall is known to substantially alter turnouts, it's perhaps a little more akin to thinking up ways to persuade more people to show up and donate blood, mechanically speaking. Appeals to life-altering impacts of mass politics seem to wilt in the face of getting wet, so clearly it's other things putting marginal votes in the box

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's still 20x as deadly as most flu strains at optimistic numbers - a big blow when it's as infectious as it appears, even if that means only 2% of people die from it.

20x seems *very* high given the mortality rate for an average flu season is about 1% (obviously almost all of those are from people with other conditions), and so far at least it seems considerably less contagious than the flu.

Like I say, people absolutely are going to die from it, over and above those that will die of flu and all the other nasties of a winter, but a few people seem to think that this is going to be somewhere between Spanish Flu and the T-virus, and it's useful to put things into perspective for them.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yup

*dies of starvation after exhausting Brexit stash a couple of weeks in*.

Wait, I think there was a flaw in this plan.

I've gotta say I'm a LIIITTLE concerned, but I'm not as concerned as the news is making out, and mostly for my wife rather than myself, who whilst not immunocompromised is definitely more vulnerable to chest infections than most people.

If survival crafting games have taught me anything, it's that however rancid a piece of meat is, if you stick it on a campfire for 5 minutes, it's good to eat.

What I'm saying is, we might yet get a chance to eat the rich.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure eating coronavirus infected rich people is how you create a worse doomsday scenario. You'd get, like, turbocapitalist kuru.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Maybe. Or maybe I'd inherit their supernatural powers over the Free Market. Maybe I'd finally be able to turn the world into an anime like God intended.

Listen. I'm TRYING to put a positive spin on this okay?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

so far at least it seems considerably less contagious than the flu.

Initial estimates are it being an order of magnitude more contagious, it's just that the efforts to mitigate contagion have been effective. Obviously it's hard to tell mid-epidemic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Initial estimates are it being an order of magnitude more contagious, it's just that the efforts to mitigate contagion have been effective. Obviously it's hard to tell mid-epidemic.

I thought that while it was more immediately contagious, it didn't seem to hang around on surfaces and skin the same way?

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/andrewgregory/status/1226911353853575168

This is probably fine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought that while it was more immediately contagious, it didn't seem to hang around on surfaces and skin the same way?

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/andrewgregory/status/1226911353853575168

This is probably fine.

This is how democracy dies, with thunderous baton beatings for brown people when they have a cold.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Put your hands where I can see them!

*man at gunpoint coughs without covering his mouth*

HE'S TRYING TO SPREAD IT TO US *gunshots ring out*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
*cop sniffles*

OFFICER DOWN! OFFICER DOWN!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
I'm a pretty heavy smoker and I just realised I haven't had a coughing fit in days.

I wonder if I could sell my blood?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Am I mistaken or is coronavirus not actually that deadly unless you're sick or old or young? I thought the issue was a morbidity thing rather than a mortality one? I'm fairly unconcerned. Maybe I should be??

E: forgot to refresh thread!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Am I mistaken or is coronavirus not actually that deadly unless you're sick or old or young? I thought the issue was a morbidity thing rather than a mortality one? I'm fairly unconcerned. Maybe I should be??

I got bad news

quote:

Many of those who contract coronavirus will experience only mild symptoms, and most people are expected to make a full recovery.

However, it can pose a particular risk for elderly people and those with pre-existing problems like diabetes or cancer, or weak immune systems

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah they always say that about diabetes but I don't buy it if you're otherwise healthy and know how to respond, I reckon they conflate types 1 and 2 and ofc a huge percentage of the latter are desperately unwell people

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ok good. It'll probably shake out no worse than a seasonal flu then.

To be honest i never even paid attention to swine flu and that killed a fuckload of people, so I'm probably only concerned because I'm watching it

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

My partner got swine flu and she was fine but said it was pretty poo poo lol

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm down with building the Eiffel Tower.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jippa posted:

should be easy, they're not even going near the munitions! :gammonsay:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does that not mean you've got... like... 5km long suspension cables?

For reference the entire golden gate bridge is 1.6km long...

The largest single span bridge in the world is apparently in japan, suspension, and is 2km wide across the center span.

As opposed to.... like 15km?

That's a bridge literally an order of magnitude larger than anything else built in the world.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 10, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

should be easy, they're not even going near the munitions! :gammonsay:

Just detonate the munitions to get rid of the water and then you can walk it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
something something superior British engineering knowledge

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We're gonna dig up Isambard Kingdom Brunel. He'll bridge the gently caress out of that gap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's not that tall, I've seen the statue.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The largest single span bridge in the world is apparently in japan, suspension, and is 2km wide across the center span.

That's a bridge literally an order of magnitude larger than anything else built in the world.

Need to do something to keep people employed post-Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He might but he'd do it by building an arch out of cast iron stacked together like timbers, which presumably means the bridge would need to be about twenty miles tall and terminate somewhere near Inverness and Cork. On the plus side you'd alleviate the question of UK access to the GPS system because you'd just be able to figure out where you are anywhere in western europe by looking at the bridge.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

He might but he'd do it by building an arch out of cast iron stacked together like timbers, which presumably means the bridge would need to be about twenty miles tall and terminate somewhere near Inverness and Cork. On the plus side you'd alleviate the question of UK access to the GPS system because you'd just be able to figure out where you are anywhere in western europe by looking at the bridge.

Brunel wasn't Abraham Darby, the Clifton and Prince Albert bridges (and the Maidenhead Viaduct for that matter) are some serious loving engineering that went way beyond what anyone thought was possible with the materials of the time. If you gave him access to modern computers and metallurgy he'd probably come up with some poo poo you wouldn't believe. Also his habit of going ridiculously over-budget would put him right up with all the "best" civil engineers in the world at the moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the towers on the 2km bridge are nearly 300m tall already, so... you're gonna do a span like eight times longer without making the bridge any taller?

So it's literally gonna look like:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 10, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jippa posted:

See, this is another argument for the bridge to the Mull of Kintyre: shorter, not having to go across an munitions & nuclear waste dump, & it'd give some long overdue spending on the road & transport infrastructure between that remote part of Scotland & civilisation. Make it a double bridge so it does rail & road, hell, make it a high speed train while you're at it. You could put in further bridges across Loch Fyne from Tarbert to Portvadie, then maybe from Tighnabruich to Bute, then you could hop from Bute to Great Cumbrae to Largs or from Bute back to the mainland at Knockdow and then another from Dunoon across to near Gourock.

I mean if we're fantasy-booking an infrastructure project that isn't going to happen at least end up with a positive like making it possible to ignore the Rest & Be Thankful for as many people as possible because it's a hellroad

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Joined Labour (Bath, feel free to update the CLP list!) just before the election, and tonight I'm finally going to my first meeting... which happens to be the CLP nomination meeting.

Zero idea what to expect.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Bung a bob for a Big Bridge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Longebridje certainly has meme potential I guess.