Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My dad said he thinks this is a giant gently caress you to nationalism and hell, I've never wanted him to be more right. Hell yeah.

Koreans are super nationalistic so you can reassure him that the nationalism still lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I peeked into the fitness forums and couldn't find a boxing/martial arts thread, so I thought I'd just ask here: are there any issues to using Muay Thai gloves as boxing gloves?

Just joined a martial arts gym (boxing for me, though there's muay thai, bjj, and taekwondo too). Been borrowing gloves for a week but would much rather have my own! Found some Venum Challengers nearby that doesn't break the bank for me. If there is a thread and I missed it, please link me, thank you!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Artelier posted:

I peeked into the fitness forums and couldn't find a boxing/martial arts thread, so I thought I'd just ask here: are there any issues to using Muay Thai gloves as boxing gloves?

Just joined a martial arts gym (boxing for me, though there's muay thai, bjj, and taekwondo too). Been borrowing gloves for a week but would much rather have my own! Found some Venum Challengers nearby that doesn't break the bank for me. If there is a thread and I missed it, please link me, thank you!

Talk to whoever is running the spars about it. Sometimes they'll say yes if your opponent doesn't care but obviously you never know. If the coach is a purist then you'll get a no, if not it's at least worth a shot because borrowed gloves are always gross as hell.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Artelier posted:

Hey friend I'm sorry you were misled by the title, this is the thread for talking about random irl stuff or video games or really anything, you're probably looking for the stickied combat sports general Q&A thread

I thought modern Muay Thai just used regular boxing gloves but I don't really know

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Talk to whoever is running the spars about it. Sometimes they'll say yes if your opponent doesn't care but obviously you never know. If the coach is a purist then you'll get a no, if not it's at least worth a shot because borrowed gloves are always gross as hell.

No spars so far! Just hitting bags, boxing exercises (jab jab slip etc), and technique practise. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Brut posted:

Hey friend I'm sorry you were misled by the title, this is the thread for talking about random irl stuff or video games or really anything, you're probably looking for the stickied combat sports general Q&A thread

I thought modern Muay Thai just used regular boxing gloves but I don't really know

OF COURSE IT WAS IN ROWDY RINGSPORTS ALL ALONG thank you!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artelier posted:

There's a Martial Arts thread in A/T.

Here's the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003

I've use MT gloves as boxing gloves and vice versa but I'm sure there's a reason people will explain for why that is not allowable etc.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Parasite winning Director, Picture, and International Picture :swoon:

Oscars legit feeling like the end of Wrestlemania 30.

(Looking forward to the next six years of the safest, most boring choices on offer)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

personally I like dipping my hands in the sundae bar before sparring but ymmv

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
happy for Parasite even though The Sandman didn't get his due

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bless all you e-thots out there fascinated by your own body shapes. It makes me happy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gonna start a christian online dating service called Thots And Prayers

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mekchu posted:

Koreans are super nationalistic so you can reassure him that the nationalism still lives on.

Bong was on a blacklist from the Korean government up until a couple years ago because he was too much of a leftist.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bong did Snowpiercer, which is extremely subversive. I doubt the tv adaptation will hold up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

Bong did Snowpiercer, which is extremely subversive. I doubt the tv adaptation will hold up.

I think it could be okay. I am a bit worried about the Parasite adaptation though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

When I saw Snowpiercer, I thought it was such a bold choice to not to have subtitles for the Korean lines.

Turns out my Roku 2 wasn't strong enough to play them.

Still loved the movie.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i know babies taste best

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

an actual headline that came across my feed:

Fox News host Brit Hume claimed Bernie Sanders was peddling a conspiracy theory by suggesting the wealthy have an “exorbitant amount of power” in America

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Go watch Memories Of Murder, it's a great crime mystery from our beautiful boy Bong, starring our boy's boy Song Kang-ho. It's in the canon of cop movies that are absolutely anti-cop, alongside Heat and Robocop. I heard a vague rumor that it's on YouTube complete with subtitles, but that's only a rumor.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Go watch Memories Of Murder, it's a great crime mystery from our beautiful boy Bong, starring our boy's boy Song Kang-ho. It's in the canon of cop movies that are absolutely anti-cop, alongside Heat and Robocop. I heard a vague rumor that it's on YouTube complete with subtitles, but that's only a rumor.

it is a very good movie BUT the train obliterating that poor dude near the end made me lol and then feel bad, so I hate it

also Mother is a film of his that I don’t think gets talked about enough, but it will crush you so maybe be in the right mood to watch that one

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Park So-dam is still the prettiest one in Parasite.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

it is a very good movie BUT the train obliterating that poor dude near the end made me lol and then feel bad, so I hate it

also Mother is a film of his that I don’t think gets talked about enough, but it will crush you so maybe be in the right mood to watch that one

Lmfao

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

his name is bong lmfao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

He called the poo poo poop

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahahaahaha yessss my two favorite movies of 2019:

https://twitter.com/KnivesOut/status/1226726898073362432

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i'll probably do a Bong rewatch fest soon cause he makes "Such good poo poo"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got a paid gig for a day next month YEAH

When I find out I'm actually getting paid for what I do with my life I act like Patrick Mahomes did after scoring the go ahead touchdown of the Super Bowl. This is both kinda funny and also sad IMHO.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

When I find out I'm actually getting paid for what I do with my life I act like Patrick Mahomes did after scoring the go ahead touchdown of the Super Bowl. This is both kinda funny and also sad IMHO.

Nah, celebrate getting paid, especially when it's on your terms.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Nah, celebrate getting paid, especially when it's on your terms.

My point is more it's sad that getting paid is unusual enough for me that it makes me that happy

But also thanks and you're right.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My point is more it's sad that getting paid is unusual enough for me that it makes me that happy

But also thanks and you're right.

get paid, cash money for (art? writing? w/e)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Punch McLightning posted:

get paid, cash money for (art? writing? w/e)

In this case on this day I'll basically be getting paid to talk at people and share my story and be on a panel but yeah

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Over here hoping it's more than a hotdog and a handshake

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The person asking me doesn't gently caress around. She's the one person still alive who treats me right professionally 100% of the time. The other is dead (gently caress cancer)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I don't know what Foochs looks like but for a brief flicker I had an image in my mind of him wearing an eyepatch and giving a speech about living your mox life

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

WatermelonGun posted:

nthing both of these recommendations. Says a lot about Bong Joon-Ho that Parasite, as good as it is, might only be my third-fav film of his

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1227042148538888192?s=19

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Find yourself an exorcist. Your house is haunted.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't know what Foochs looks like but for a brief flicker I had an image in my mind of him wearing an eyepatch and giving a speech about living your mox life

I have been referred to as "a babe" by RR poster PUNKS DIET SODA FWIW

Make of that what you will. Also there exists a picture of me and Mox together from about six years ago. :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Got Slay The Spire today from Gamefly, and yeah I'd say it lives up to the hype

Also anyone here who hasn't read Scoob And Shag really should, might be one of the best webcomics current running

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

send me free amiibos to my house for using in breath of the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I am utterly baffled at this sudden jump in Discovery. This mirror universe stuff is super hamfisted.