Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

field balm posted:

Wierd question, but does anyone have a lead on replacement shells for the original ps1 controllers, the ones without sticks? Have realised they're probably my favourite for shmups and certain types of classic games, wouldn't mind mucking around with some customisation.

Do the playstation classic controller shells fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's still surprising to me that FDS didn't instantly crash and burn. I think most of this was people putting words into Nintendo's mouth but it always felt like they were critical of CD load times but they doubled down on hard disks which were far worse than any CD drive ever. You think Castlevania 2 is a bad game, how anybody didn't immediately drop the series after Castlevania 2 on FDS is beyond me.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

McCracAttack posted:

Y'all every have a "pearls before swine" moment with a game? This thread on Twitter is making me want to revisit Vagrant Story.

Yes. With the 32-bit generation altogether. Back then it didn't impress me much, but today I just can't get enough of those chunky graphics.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) is my favorite Mario game of all time.

Does anyone know if there's any cool differences in the BS version?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Mario 2's real problem is that it got blown away by Mario 3.

At the time it was great, and the music is still one of my favorites, but 3 made it into the odd one in the series. Kind of like Super Mario Land in that regard.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I personally like Mario 2US more than Mario 3. I just think it's more fun to pick up and play. Plus there's so much cool stuff. Like Birdo all of a sudden being at a random spot in a level and you have to ride his egg to proceed. Or having to fight the end level bird mouth thing. Hell, to this day I still don't know where all the subspace mushrooms are.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think people look down upon Mario 2, if anything history has been kinder to it than a lot of other Nintendo games from the same era. I do think it took a while before SMB2's style was firmly established but by Mario 3 they brought in pokey, you got a bunch of cameos in Link's Awakening, Birdo became a spin-off character, and shyguys are probably now more iconic as Mario villains than koopa troopas are, really only the bosses didn't become established canon and that's fine they all kind of suck tbh.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I do remember for a short period of time when Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) was looked at negatively because it wasn't "the REAL Super Mario Bros. 2," but it was for a short while. It wasn't as bad as when folks look at Zelda 2 and hate it because it wasn't like the other Zelda games.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Every kid I was friends with that had an NES loved the game and there was never any real discussion of it not being a real game due to the change of location.

I think any backlash on it is revisionist history, I'm sure that most of genpop who no longer play retro games still have no idea it was a re skin with tweaks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I probably had some angst when Super Mario All-Stars came out and I found out about America getting the fake Mario 2 and I was all like "I guess Japan thinks us stupid Americans can't handle hard games!!!!1". But goddamn if that wasn't the right decision. The Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 sucks poo poo. Even the happy face clouds look terrible. And Super Mario Bros 2 US is one of the best games ever made.

From what I understand, Howard Phillips had a big hand in that decision and I can't thank that man enough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Somehow my parents managed to buy SMB1 and SMB3 for us but never SMB2. It was just this weird game we never played except when we went to our cousins house on Long Island (which itself was a strange place for us).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Yeah if we got the Japanese SMB2 it would have been a flop and Mario wouldn't have likely been as big of success here in America. The US SMB2 is a fantastic game and in many ways I feel helped the every Mario game feels different within the US.

From growing up at that time I don't know anyone who didn't love SMB2 or thought it didn't feel like Mario. Later on when people found out it wasn't the "real" SMB2 it dawned on most about how different it was. It is still my second favorite Mario game behind World.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i liked smb2(jp) for a reason that kind of has to do with that whole "rewinding is cheating" controversy
smb2 made you retry stages a lot which was a good thing because you could learn where all the secrets are with the additional playtime and it made every subsequent go through easier it allowed for a more engrossing playthrough that meant you get a better connection to the game and level layouts
you dont get that with rewinding and i bet people who rewind through smb2 take more time to beat it than somebody who accepts their mistakes and learns from them
its a challenging but ultimately rewarding game but you have to know going in you are going to get your rear end kicked a lot before you beat it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Even the box art is just so drat epic and iconic. I love everything about the game. Some stages have two bosses, cause, why not! Hell I even think there's a stage where you can get a third mushroom.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It helps that SMB2 was always an enjoyable game, and even if it didn't quite feel like a """Real""" Mario it was a weird(er), fun offshoot.

Zelda II's a different story. They purposefully intended to change things up. While having those Zelda expectations didn't help, it doesn't really work as its own thing either.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Even the box art is just so drat epic and iconic. I love everything about the game. Some stages have two bosses, cause, why not! Hell I even think there's a stage where you can get a third mushroom.

i believe there are multiple stages with three mushrooms but you max out at four hearts (two mushrooms worth) but i may be wrong been a while

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

It's good, and solidified by the Nintendo merchandise machine really revving up at the same time. That specific Mario was on everything for a good while. I remember I had a blanket and little fold out floor gamer seat thing with that art on it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I beat Lost Levels with the All-Stars strategy guide, even as a kid I wasn't going to gently caress around with that game.

I never really thought about Yoshi's Island within the Mario universe but it's totally Miyamoto doing his take on SMB2 USA.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
SMB USA is the best example of how different the NES Mario games look and feel from each other - and by contrast it really highlights how samey the New Super Mario Bros games (which were spread across 4 different consoles!!) felt.

Which is a shame because I still feel NSMBU is a legit great game. I wonder how it would've been received if the other "New" games hadn't happened and the asethetic hadn't felt so worn out on arrival.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

al-azad posted:

It's still surprising to me that FDS didn't instantly crash and burn. I think most of this was people putting words into Nintendo's mouth but it always felt like they were critical of CD load times but they doubled down on hard disks which were far worse than any CD drive ever. You think Castlevania 2 is a bad game, how anybody didn't immediately drop the series after Castlevania 2 on FDS is beyond me.

They're floppy discs, and at the time people felt it was a worthwhile tradeoff for a bit of loading times for like triple the storage space and more involved games that come with that. The FDS was released basically before any of the mapper chips happened, and a lot of the big early games were FDS releases first, Zelda 1, Castlevania 1 and 2, Metroid, Kid Icarus.

It helps that the seek times on the floppies were pretty fast, to the point that Castlevania 2's loading is actually slower on the US version than on the FDS version due to more characters in the text box.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Milkman posted:

It's good, and solidified by the Nintendo merchandise machine really revving up at the same time. That specific Mario was on everything for a good while. I remember I had a blanket and little fold out floor gamer seat thing with that art on it.

I have this which I use as a beer mug. It's like four pounds and can hold about 3 or 4 beers at once. I couldn't believe how high quality and huge it was when I got it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Karasu Tengu posted:

They're floppy discs, and at the time people felt it was a worthwhile tradeoff for a bit of loading times for like triple the storage space and more involved games that come with that. The FDS was released basically before any of the mapper chips happened, and a lot of the big early games were FDS releases first, Zelda 1, Castlevania 1 and 2, Metroid, Kid Icarus.

It helps that the seek times on the floppies were pretty fast, to the point that Castlevania 2's loading is actually slower on the US version than on the FDS version due to more characters in the text box.

If I walked into a new screen, flipped the disk, then got knocked back immediately and had to flip the disk again I would just quit video games.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Well that's how mid 80s and prior gaming was. When you're a kid it matters less.

I had a lovely radio shack clone of a euro computer, one would load Frogger from a casette tape, which took minutes. It was so flakey that I only got it to load once or twice, and it never worked right the other 50 tries.

Was still worth it.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

KingEup posted:

You can't completely fix the WiiU's output with a soft mod. It isn't the only problem:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1208264#p1208264

I'm talking about the original Wii, not the WiiU, which has issues still. Hopefully those can get sorted out at some point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is not the case in the original release, but the GBA version does have third mushrooms on a lot of stages. There's also a stage in the NES version where there's only one mushroom...

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

falz posted:

Well that's how mid 80s and prior gaming was. When you're a kid it matters less.

I had a lovely radio shack clone of a euro computer, one would load Frogger from a casette tape, which took minutes. It was so flakey that I only got it to load once or twice, and it never worked right the other 50 tries.

Was still worth it.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the C64 had a literal five minute load time to get to the first playable screen. It gave good incentive not to be caught by the nazis or killed, and damned if I didn't waste a good part of my 14 year old day playing it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

falz posted:

Was still worth it.

On a similar note, I've discovered that a handful of emulators can make floppy disk seeking noises when a program is supposed to be using the drive, and I crank that as much as I can when it's available.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

al-azad posted:

If I walked into a new screen, flipped the disk, then got knocked back immediately and had to flip the disk again I would just quit video games.

It's worth also considering the fact that the Famicom was mostly kept within arms' length in japan, instead of 10 feet away on the TV console, so flipping a disk in the worst case is a quick procedure and one people would be used to from computer games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It’s worth remembering that before mapper chips in Japan, you were basically limited to games like Ice Climber, Ballon Fight, etc. Going from Kung Fu to something like Castlevania? Hell yeah I would have Flipped all the floppies.

As a related note, google Micro Mages for NES to see a really cool project that talks about the 40k storage cart limit and how they worked with it for a new game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was PC gaming back then and slow load speeds made sense why some of the more popular games were linear or adventure/narrative based. I just find it incredibly weird and ironic that the Zelda/Metroid sub-genre spun off from basically the worst way to play an action video game.

Really I just rag on Castlevania 2 because it's a meh game and also my first FDS game I played on real hardware. It's such a ball busting pacing killer on top of an unfun game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
They also did the thing where they let you load games onto floppies at stores through official kiosks for a reduced price, which seems pretty cool and another bonus of using floppies.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

katkillad2 posted:

They also did the thing where they let you load games onto floppies at stores through official kiosks for a reduced price, which seems pretty cool and another bonus of using floppies.

Nintendo had a similar service for the SNES with effectively a epprom cart. When I lived there in the late 90s they were still around and fairly popular surprisingly enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Djarum posted:

Nintendo had a similar service for the SNES with effectively a epprom cart. When I lived there in the late 90s they were still around and fairly popular surprisingly enough.

Nintendo maintained that service until 2008, two years after the Wii launched.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I remember my brother buying SMB2 with his paper route money (lol that’s right!). I played the unholy dogshit out of that game and would go through the game at least once a month.

Then 3 came out, and the red Nintendo Power strategy guide eventually emerged. And lo, for I did play the unholy dogshit out of this one, too. I played it so much I convinced my mom to make me a Raccoon Mario costume for Halloween out of Butterick patterns from ClothWorld (now Joann’s Fabrics).

After the Super Nintendo came out, I remember the moment my opinion on SMB2 turned sour:

The Mario Mania Nintendo Power strategy guide.

There was an aside in that guide that mentioned “the real” SMB2 and also explained that Doki Doki Panic was rebranded and changed because, and I’m recalling this from memory, the guide itself mentioned SMB2j’s difficulty being off-putting.

Not concerned with marketing and production and all of that, just purely on the games alone, I felt like we were cheated out of it, and what was put in its place was foreign and odd and “why the poo poo was Mario pulling turnips to throw at weird dudes in masks? Where are the enemies from the first game? Where did they go? OH YOU DIDN’T BRING THEM OUT BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO HARD!? How dare you, Nintendo!?”

Now that I have the ability to look at the history of it all, I’m blaming Nintendo Power’s hype train. SMB2USA’s charm is unmistakable, and smb2j is a loving slog if I’m being honest to myself. Hell, I also approve of the changes in transition from FDS DDP to USA SMB2.

I still feel pretty bad about having been so dismissive of SMB2 once All-Stars came out. But I remember when it first happened. That damned guide.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Edit: nevermind.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 11, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Nintendo maintained that service until 2008, two years after the Wii launched.

Jesus. I didn’t know it lasted that long. I am surprised they never did a N64 version of the service.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I recently picked up some PSP games. I pulled my PSP out but the battery went bad since the last time I used it. Any suggestions on where I should pick up a new battery? It's a PSP 3000 I think.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mariooncrack posted:

I recently picked up some PSP games. I pulled my PSP out but the battery went bad since the last time I used it. Any suggestions on where I should pick up a new battery? It's a PSP 3000 I think.

I got a replacement through a battery company here in Australia. It seemed a better move than buying from a random eBay seller.

https://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/pda/pab-psp-s110-psp-replacement-battery-suit-psp.html

It works perfectly fine in my PSP 3000 and charges without any issues from the stock PSP charger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You Am I posted:

I got a replacement through a battery company here in Australia. It seemed a better move than buying from a random eBay seller.

https://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/pda/pab-psp-s110-psp-replacement-battery-suit-psp.html

It works perfectly fine in my PSP 3000 and charges without any issues from the stock PSP charger.

I might grab one of those for mine. It still works, but gently caress knows how old it is now as I got it second-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

When looking for a controller with a usable dpad to use with a PC, is there any reason not to go with / compelling alternative to an 8bitdo?