Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I was working on a port of advance wars, but lol if I'm bothering finishing it now.

Also it's hilarious that small indie developer blizzard is becoming closer to truth than joke as they circle the drain. Wonder how much of the remains of the company will be left after this bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A friend of mine convinced me that I should make a map with him, so I'm doing that against my better judgement.

It honestly feels good building stuff in the World Editor again. It's incredibly limiting and hacky and I miss the Galaxy Editor in a lot of ways, but it's really nice knowing exactly how to do everything.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Now that 1.30.1 is essentially the best official version of the original client, I actually have to use it because I was in the middle of a custom campaign I now can't continue thanks to custom campaigns being broken. If only Blizzard had just stopped at adding widescreen support and some monetization....

I assume it would be against forum rules to post a link to a 1.30.1 full game download? If ever an exception should be made to that, I'd think the official game being broken should qualify. Anyways, it's not hard to find. As far as I know you can't simply install the old way and patch to 1.30.1, because they replaced the update system which now connects to Blizzard's servers and installs the latest broken version, the only way it works is with an actual full copy of 1.30.1.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Even if they don't, the fact that they could at any moment without notice has a strong chilling effect on creators investing their time in making maps.

This is not new. They could have banned your custom game for any reason or no reason before as well. Now if Disney finds Toy Story Xtreme RPG on battle.net blizzard can remove it and point to the rules that they don’t allow that when the mouse lawyer sends his nasty letter. Its “please don’t sue us look we’re trying” language.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah since they made that announcement it feels like they kinda have to do it due to the first paragraph of it being their property now as well, so they don't get sued all over the place for massively stealing everything and instead have a rule that they can point out and raise some finger about not doing it please. It really comes down on whether or not they enforce that by massively swinging the ban hammer everywhere or if they just have to de facto hardly enforceable rule and try to stay under the radar with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eregos posted:

Now that 1.30.1 is essentially the best official version of the original client, I actually have to use it because I was in the middle of a custom campaign I now can't continue thanks to custom campaigns being broken. If only Blizzard had just stopped at adding widescreen support and some monetization....

I assume it would be against forum rules to post a link to a 1.30.1 full game download? If ever an exception should be made to that, I'd think the official game being broken should qualify. Anyways, it's not hard to find. As far as I know you can't simply install the old way and patch to 1.30.1, because they replaced the update system which now connects to Blizzard's servers and installs the latest broken version, the only way it works is with an actual full copy of 1.30.1.

I think it probably would be (and its not too hard to google for) but somebody posted a link a few pages ago anyways, read the thread lol

Comrayn posted:

This is not new. They could have banned your custom game for any reason or no reason before as well. Now if Disney finds Toy Story Xtreme RPG on battle.net blizzard can remove it and point to the rules that they don’t allow that when the mouse lawyer sends his nasty letter. Its “please don’t sue us look we’re trying” language.

When custom games were hosted by players then not really

Goons Are Great posted:

Yeah since they made that announcement it feels like they kinda have to do it due to the first paragraph of it being their property now as well, so they don't get sued all over the place for massively stealing everything and instead have a rule that they can point out and raise some finger about not doing it please. It really comes down on whether or not they enforce that by massively swinging the ban hammer everywhere or if they just have to de facto hardly enforceable rule and try to stay under the radar with it.

Yeah but they choose to make it their property. One results from the other. Both are bad. They shouldn't have done that either.

This is some weird logic. "Welp, we just HAD to own all player created content, we had no choice, and now that we're doing that we HAVE to take down copyright infringement, so ... our hands are tied!"

Or you could just not gently caress it up in the first place

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

All the extra work they will have to do curating and maintaining the custom game catalogue will all be worth it when Mike Dota unwittingly creates the next big custom game on their platform, allowing them to swoop in and snatch it for themselves

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can't wait for that to actually happen but they bungle the release and someone else ends up dominating the genre

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but they choose to make it their property. One results from the other. Both are bad. They shouldn't have done that either.

This is some weird logic. "Welp, we just HAD to own all player created content, we had no choice, and now that we're doing that we HAVE to take down copyright infringement, so ... our hands are tied!"

Or you could just not gently caress it up in the first place
No, you're entirely right, it's dumb that they even started this train and it's terrible to even deal with this in a remake. I wasn't trying to defend their dumb policies, I merely hope there's some silver lining in this shitshow and we get to play some fun games once the game reaches closed beta status.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

A nice fix would be a chime or something when the match actually starts. Right now there is just a horn fanfare for when the lobby is ready. It often takes 1-2 minutes of silent and static load screen as the last player's pentium pc chugs along. When the game actually starts you might get some low ambient sounds but at least with the night elf soundtrack it's starts so silent you won't know if you're alt tabbed out.

Even a loading bar for each player would be nice so we can see when we're getting close.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Even a loading bar for each player would be nice so we can see when we're getting close.

Its really hilarious that war3 in 2002 had this but remake in 2020 does not

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it's been over 10 years since I played TFT but I thought I remembered that and also displayed ranks on the load screen.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Eregos posted:

Now that 1.30.1 is essentially the best official version of the original client

Unless you want LAN (used for playing over the Internet without going through bnet), then it's 1.27b.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

There was a big deal about this a few years ago with LoL where people were berating the people with the slow computers for making the game take so long to load so they removed the loading bar. Feels like the same thing here.

Also, I tried to play some last night with a friend. Basically all of the Battle.net 2.0 features are broken. My friends list was empty and all that showed up were a bunch of empty black boxes with no functionality. My friend and I had to join a custom channel to see each other and join a party. It's unbelievable how garbage this is from every angle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frustrated posted:

There was a big deal about this a few years ago with LoL where people were berating the people with the slow computers for making the game take so long to load so they removed the loading bar. Feels like the same thing here.

Also, I tried to play some last night with a friend. Basically all of the Battle.net 2.0 features are broken. My friends list was empty and all that showed up were a bunch of empty black boxes with no functionality. My friend and I had to join a custom channel to see each other and join a party. It's unbelievable how garbage this is from every angle.

IDK at a certain point you need to defrag your drive or buy a new HDD if you're gonna play online

Making 3 people wait 5 minutes because your hard drive is dying but can't afford a new one seems lame, if that's really how it is maybe play single player games until you can save up to buy a new drive

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Frustrated posted:

Well they could always show the slowest bar without telling whose it is

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Minorkos posted:

Well they could always show the slowest bar without telling whose it is
you think you can just do pragmatic things in game design?????

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Frustrated posted:

How about automatically dumping you in General Chat window takes up an uncollapsable quarter of the screen when navigating menus. It overlaps and obscures much of the campaign menu.

I also received a few hard r nwords in game which I was surprised about (the lack of filter, not the lack of bigots)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How about automatically dumping you in General Chat window takes up an uncollapsable quarter of the screen when navigating menus. It overlaps and obscures much of the campaign menu.

I also received a few hard r nwords in game which I was surprised about (the lack of filter, not the lack of bigots)

They had to focus on the most important words like Booty Bay. Can't have any customs with such vulgar terms. The rest is still WIP.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Gildiss posted:

They had to focus on the most important words like Booty Bay. Can't have any customs with such vulgar terms. The rest is still WIP.

It's not because it's vulgar, they're just protecting their IP.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

if that's really how it is maybe play single player games until you can save up to buy a new drive

I cannot possibly stress enough how THIS GAME RAN FINE UNTIL MAY OF LAST loving YEAR.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Just a quick question here, is it in general possible to play custom games right now? I keep trying to play with a friend and we keep getting auto-kicked from each other's lobby. Do you still need ports open and poo poo like that, does the invite feature simply not work properly or do I have to sacrifice a goat to actually play with a friend?

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

Tubgoat posted:

I cannot possibly stress enough how THIS GAME RAN FINE UNTIL MAY OF LAST loving YEAR.

Man fix your computer this is getting sad

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Don't you people have SSDs?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah on the flipside they hosed over people who just wanna run classic graphics

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Can I refund my gf also

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FoolyCharged posted:

Don't you people have SSDs?

I do. Is that better or worse for trying to run a 17-year-old computer game?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tubgoat posted:

I do. Is that better or worse for trying to run a 17-year-old computer game?

Better. Everything is better on an SSD.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

oh mang. freaking epic discussion here. ssd or go home! pc master race ftw!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

CyberPingu posted:

Better. Everything is better on an SSD.

Okay.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You know, I figured that reference wouldn't fly over anyone's head here. I was jokingly imitating how blizzard bombed handling the poor reception to the diablo immortal announcement.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

FoolyCharged posted:

You know, I figured that reference wouldn't fly over anyone's head here. I was jokingly imitating how blizzard bombed handling the poor reception to the diablo immortal announcement.

Blizzard is beyond humor though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

FoolyCharged posted:

I got it, im just sick of that joke so I sandbag it at every opportunity.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I got it, im just sick of that joke so I sandbag it at every opportunity.

Don't you guys have humor?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

loving around in the world editor has been fun because i've done some pretty wacky poo poo but i also have been re-discovering how much you have to fight it to get anything done

did you know that many abilities have fields that do nothing? like literally nothing. i was like "I'm gonna make an Evasion that has a 100% proc rate but only goes off every 5 seconds" and i thought it'd be as simple as putting a 5 in the "Stats - Cooldown" field for the Evasion ability

nope

pranked by the big blue B

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
They remastered the secret tower defence level in the human TFT campaign for some reason, how the gently caress did that get done when so much other stuff was completely unchanged?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zaphod42 posted:

Direct comparisons:

What are these goofy giant collar guards called? I vaguely recall someone mentioning them somewhere but I can't remember where

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Reforged: When Mountain Giant picks up a tree, it retains the same "default" tree texture on all of them regardless of tree type, unlike Classic where each tree type's texture is preserved (Reddit)

Nope, no cutting corners here, no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I simply want to stop in for a moment to thank you all for your posts so I can better understand exactly how bad Blizzard managed to screw this up in every possible way.