Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I suck at Spirits Abyss but drat if it doesn't have character and what looks like fun item synergy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Total War DLC is fine, unlike Paradox DLC. You never get whole features locked up behind DLC, just characters and factions, and even then, it's just playing as them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Game Pass is a great value but a colossal piece of poo poo. If I uninstall a game now it instantly starts reinstalling it (and usually fails).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Total War DLC is fine, unlike Paradox DLC. You never get whole features locked up behind DLC, just characters and factions, and even then, it's just playing as them.

Uh it's same

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Neither is true at all. Warhammer DLC adds stuff like Lords and Regiments of Renown to AI and that can drastically change how they fight against you. Paradox is even worse and adds basic poo poo that should have been patches into DLC, like how in EU4 you need the Art of War DLC to give orders to allies.

Ironically Train Simulator has the best model out of the lot because you just buy the trains/routes you want and that's it. Game ain't going to tell you that your cross-country shipment of hats was delayed because you don't have the Bombay People Carrier Choo Choo DLC.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Can't find the Exodus thread but the 2nd addon will be out tomorrow:

Steam/Google Stadia: 9AM PT / 5PM UTC

https://mobile.twitter.com/MetroVideoGame/status/1226888052292956168

Really liked the first one already. Short but great atmosphere.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not really, unless you talking about the very early CK2 DLC (which was good, by the way). CA just locks specific factions behind DLC, but most PDX DLC have new core mechanics around which the games are balanced.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

haldolium posted:

Can't find the Exodus thread but the 2nd addon will be out tomorrow:

Steam/Google Stadia: 9AM PT / 5PM UTC

https://mobile.twitter.com/MetroVideoGame/status/1226888052292956168

Really liked the first one already. Short but great atmosphere.

I assume the uh base game is coming to Steam tomorrow too? Right now you can only buy the DLCs lol

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
It was feb 15th last year for epic, so...

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Like, these DLC release schedules are going on 4 years now. Buying everything at once makes zero sense since you're not going to back-to-back campaigns for every faction for the next 200+ hours, and that's what the TW:W I/II DLCs are, on aggregate: more content developed in post-launch. The answer to "Which DLC do I buy", for both games, is "None, just buy the base game, see if it clicks and you're getting a decent chunk of gametime out of base races + FLC, and then if you want more, 60+ hours down the line, buy one new race pack for whatever faction you faced off against that looked cool, or for your fav basegame race if they have a Lord-pack out and you could see yourself sinking another 20 hours into them."

There is no rhyme or reason to imagining a scenario where two years down the line when TWW:III's cycle winds down a prospective buyer should just shell out for all three games and all DLC in one go, this is not a Paradox game where everything layers on top of itself and lacking in marquee DLC means you're getting a poorer or more reduced experience.

ZearothK posted:

Not really, unless you talking about the very early CK2 DLC (which was good, by the way). CA just locks specific factions behind DLC, but most PDX DLC have new core mechanics around which the games are balanced.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I like the Warhammer DLC because basically every one is another ~20 hour campaign I'm going to play, maybe more if it's a new faction DLC.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I thought for sure I saw it on steam and it turns out Metro Exodus does indeed have a steam page, but you can't actually buy it there. I scrolled all the way down to the reviews on my phone and the only prices listed were for the DLC. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Aren’t there people who already own Exodus on Steam because there was a period of time where preorders were available before the Epic exclusivity thing happened? That’s probably why there’s DLC available for purchase but you can’t buy the game yet.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I own it on steam. that's accurate

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yep, pre-ordered Steam owners only. But good point on the timed exclusive period, should be ending soon too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RBA Starblade posted:

Game Pass is a great value but a colossal piece of poo poo. If I uninstall a game now it instantly starts reinstalling it (and usually fails).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RBA Starblade posted:

Me and a friend gave up on it because anything we tried to do together online was a huge broken pain in the rear end. Either voice chat wouldn’t work, we’d both appear offline or the whole thing would crash 5 minutes in.

Glad I was on a free trial.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/corytrese/status/1226951867223203840?s=19

Hashtah freedom from tiles is the funniest thing I've seen all day

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

If you are a crazy person and buy everything out for both Total War Warhammer titles right now not on sale it comes out to $274.

tww $60
norsca 10
wood elves 19
king and warlord 9
grim and grave 9
beastmen 19
chaos warriors 8
blood dlc 3
total - $137

tww 2 $60
shadow and blade 9
hunter and beast 9
prophet and warlock 9
vampire coast 19
queen and crone 9
tomb kings 19
blood dlc 3
total - $137

Nobody should do this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wait until it's on sale duh

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah for sure. For reference I have like 300 hours between the two games and haven’t exhausted the base races yet so I haven’t picked up all the dlc because you only need it if you are literally about to play the lord from the dlc.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

beejay posted:

If you are a crazy person and buy everything out for both Total War Warhammer titles right now not on sale it comes out to $274.

tww $60
norsca 10
wood elves 19
king and warlord 9
grim and grave 9
beastmen 19
chaos warriors 8
blood dlc 3
total - $137

tww 2 $60
shadow and blade 9
hunter and beast 9
prophet and warlock 9
vampire coast 19
queen and crone 9
tomb kings 19
blood dlc 3
total - $137

Nobody should do this.

I mean, you really shouldn't. It is genuinely impossible to play more than a faction at a time, and campaigns will go for 10-30 hours, so you'd just be spending money you don't need to right now. Buy the DLC if you really want to play a given DLC faction or subfaction immediately.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Is Bard's Tale IV any good?

For reference I liked: Etrian Odyssey games, Wizardy, because of deep combat, difficulty, party customization, and exploration.

I bounced off of: Witcher due to simplistic combat and progression and overly detailed story being involved with everything - I don't mind narrative but I don't like when it's the focus above everything else. Legend of Grimrock games because of the excess of puzzles, I felt like it was more an escape room game than an RPG and the combat was simple. I don't mind puzzles but constantly having to solve them is annoying.

Is Bard's Tale worth picking up?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Dunno but it’s on GamePass so I took it off my Steam wishlist.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

really weird to call people crazy for spending their money however they wish.

oh no this unfathomable sum of 300 dollars

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

vaginite posted:

Someone in the Old School PC RPG thread did a play-by-play of their own playthrough of it and the answer is a resounding no. It's absolutely godawful. Like, painful to play awful. Don't even bother, it's not worth playing even if you got it for free.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ZearothK posted:

I mean, you really shouldn't. It is genuinely impossible to play more than a faction at a time, and campaigns will go for 10-30 hours, so you'd just be spending money you don't need to right now. Buy the DLC if you really want to play a given DLC faction or subfaction immediately.

Also the blood DLC carries over between games, you only need to buy it once :v:

really though, you don't need everything unless you're a brokebrain or you just really want to be mad about DLC

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Flimf posted:

I called them crazy for defending an incredibly lovely company who sells extremely overpriced DLC for a consistently broken series. They are. Sorry if you're one of them.

"Each DLC is many hours of playtime! because CA's poo poo programming means turns take forever and their poo poo game design means tons of decision-free micromanaging, and the bugs mean you get to do things over!"

Don't support CA, they're a poo poo developer. If you can't resist their games because they're the only thing in the genre, fine, but jesus you don't need to make excuses for their 20 year track record of non-stop terribleness.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah I highly disagree with the above post, I'm not even sure where any of that comes from.

Also my "crazy person" comment was just aimed at someone coming in from nothing and just buying everything Total War Warhammer at once at full price. I guess I should have said "weirdo" instead.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The only crazy person here is you, my dude.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

source your Total War: Center posts, please

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

beejay posted:

Nobody should do this.

Again doing so is massive, unnecessary, overkill but if someone's got the money to spend and they want to grab it on discount then :shrug:

Not to mention, divided over the course of the four-year production cycle that works out to (year by year and without discounts mind) one-and-a-half AAA-priced games a year. If that's an unreasonable ask for two years of post-launch support per game, then idk.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Creative Assembly does have a nasty reputation for releasing extremely buggy and unstable games and taking months to fix even the most severe issues, if they ever do. It's not exactly undeserved. One of the most recent patches for Total War: Warhammer 2 introduced a crash bug that occurred on nearly every end of turn or end of combat if you were affected and which made the game literally unplayable for large amounts of the player base, including myself. The problem wasn't fixed for well over six months, during which you basically had a paid-for product sitting in your library while getting to do nothing with it.

Vitriol aside, when it comes to CA games, "buyer beware" really is something to keep in mind. Little PSA there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

K8.0 posted:

I called them crazy for defending an incredibly lovely company who sells extremely overpriced DLC for a consistently broken series. They are. Sorry if you're one of them.

"Each DLC is many hours of playtime! because CA's poo poo programming means turns take forever and their poo poo game design means tons of decision-free micromanaging, and the bugs mean you get to do things over!"

Don't support CA, they're a poo poo developer. If you can't resist their games because they're the only thing in the genre, fine, but jesus you don't need to make excuses for their 20 year track record of non-stop terribleness.

Lol.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hey, I'm taking time to stream during daylight hours this week for folks who can't normally make it out. We're gonna do a feel-good day with A Short Hike and Pikuniku, if you're curious about either: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flimf posted:

I don't think you've been following this conversation

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait until it's on sale duh

I'm holding out until it drops to something reasonable, like maybe $230

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cardiovorax posted:

Creative Assembly does have a nasty reputation for releasing extremely buggy and unstable games

Not the case with either of the TW:W games, tbh. I'm not even sure about the crash bug being that common, the most common reported/persistent bug according to multiple streamers involved in the community was a primarily multiplayer-facing chevron bug.

The thing about Steam is, CA does NOT get a pass for release-states and current-issues that are widespread enough, as they shouldn't, and all it takes is a browsing of the recent reviews to ascertain launch-states or post-launch-states. Not really going to speak about other games in their library but the TW thread in this subforum hasn't lit up about a major bug in a long time. :shrug:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

vaginite posted:

For reference I liked: Etrian Odyssey games, Wizardy, because of deep combat, difficulty, party customization, and exploration.
None of those things are in Bard's Tale unfortunately.

It's not as horrible as people make it out to be but its just.....blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Cardiovorax posted:

Someone in the Old School PC RPG thread did a play-by-play of their own playthrough of it and the answer is a resounding no. It's absolutely godawful. Like, painful to play awful. Don't even bother, it's not worth playing even if you got it for free.

Awww drat :( it looked up my alley. Thanks,