Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Two rollers...good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Don't those have like a sealed bearing inside the engine that makes the whole thing blow up unless you take the engine apart in order to flick out the bearing seal so it gets engine oil instead like it always should've?

Not really fair to sv's.

Yeah, the IMS bearing - you have to drop the transmission to get to it, but you don't have to disassemble the entire engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Pu6BMgqAs

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Depends on the year, newer engines with the "improved" bearing needs to split the engine to replace it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What was the logic in making it that way?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

quote:

Dr.-Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, usually shortened to Porsche AG, is a German automobile manufacturer

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

The IMS in general or the fact that the upgraded design is worse to replace?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The early hexhead boxer BMWs had a final drive with effectively no fill/drain bolts because the gear oil in there was intended to last the "life" of the bike. A few years in they sent a bulletin around describing a procedure to change the oil using the ABS sensor hole at the top. This requires you to use a tube so small to fit in that hole that in my experience you have to microwave the oil to heat it up enough to squirt in in there without taking 45 minutes of squeezing a bottle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The early hexhead boxer BMWs had a final drive with effectively no fill/drain bolts because the gear oil in there was intended to last the "life" of the bike. A few years in they sent a bulletin around describing a procedure to change the oil using the ABS sensor hole at the top. This requires you to use a tube so small to fit in that hole that in my experience you have to microwave the oil to heat it up enough to squirt in in there without taking 45 minutes of squeezing a bottle.

How do you drain it? Flip the bike over?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

well it is a boxer, so like the other boxes (subarus) you probably just continuously add oil :D

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I bought another bike. It sounds like a sewing machine, but I feel like it's the most neutral and confidence-inducing thing I have ever ridden. 22k miles, faded plastics, but linked brakes and abs make up for everything. For those who don't know, it's essentially a smaller ST1300. Or so it feels that way. The aftermarket for these is amazing. The Concourse is going up for sale in March :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/dOcsBmO

Edit: since I was already on imgur, here are the other bikes

http://imgur.com/gallery/TTS2d75

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 11, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Suction through the same tiny diameter hose? Rev. Lester is right, gently caress trying to dribble gear oil through a cocktail straw

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Now I'm confused. How is BMW also the ktm of bikes?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I think there might have actually been a drain bolt, nonsensically, because I don't remember having any issues getting the oil out of it, just getting it back in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

During the late 30's, Austria were very enthusiastically German, they only deny it now because of how poo poo went down.

From there it's just a short hop to understating that 'the KTM of X' is shorthand for 'X made by Germans with everything that entails'

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Those fucksticks put electrons in the coolant pump and coolant in the electron pump.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

well it is a boxer, so like the other boxes (subarus) you probably just continuously add oil :D

This is the maintenance plan my mower is on

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the maintenance plan my mower is on

Pro tier is draining your bike oil and pouring it into the mower.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

Pro tier is draining your bike oil and pouring it into the mower.

Reduce, re-use, re2 cycle

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Had an impromptu gathering of high end electric motorcycles, and was able to include an extremely rare Lightning Strike in the mix.

Finally we were able to get an up-close look at the thing and get some more data. Then a couple of us went for a joyride on Highway 9.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Which one is yours?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

The blue Energica SS9.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I do kinda miss the Santa Cruz mountains.

quote:

Had an impromptu gathering of high end electric motorcycles

Bay Area AF.

dema fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 18, 2020

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I mean you're not wrong...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

dema posted:

Bay Area AF.

There's tons of Zeros here in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I'm the only Energica Ego owner in the whole state, though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nfcknblvbl posted:

There's tons of Zeros here in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I'm the only Energica Ego owner in the whole state, though.

what happens if it breaks?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wish I had a place to charge a zero/it was feasible to own one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish electric bikes let you have artificial exhaust sounds like “jet engine” or “kookaburra”

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Razzled posted:

The same things that happen if your gas bike breaks. You fix it yourself, or if you can't you take it to someone who can.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I wish electric bikes let you have artificial exhaust sounds like “jet engine” or “kookaburra”

TIE fighter. Get weirder with it.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Legit I wanted mine to sound like Excitebike.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Razzled posted:

I already have Energica sending maintenance materials to a shop near me to keep up on the warranty. The bike I bought from Florida had a battery issue so they shipped me a loaner bike from California while they fixed it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

TIE fighter. Get weirder with it.

Jetsons/Futurama noise or bust.

Now do electric bikes have an OBD2 port? Because I have a business idea involving some cheap parts off Alibaba, an hour of Android development, and a 3000% markup...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was thinking this same thing about electric longboards the other day. Surely, very soon, there are going to be all kinds of little arduino-speaker modules available to mount on your board/bike/motorcycle/car that will play any sound you want, but specifically Jetsons/Futurama/Star Wars/turbine/loud pipes sounds, with pitch as a function of ground speed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I was thinking this same thing about electric longboards the other day. Surely, very soon, there are going to be all kinds of little arduino-speaker modules available to mount on your board/bike/motorcycle/car that will play any sound you want, but specifically Jetsons/Futurama/Star Wars/turbine/loud pipes sounds, with pitch as a function of ground speed.

poo poo of course an Arduino could do it even cheaper, actually annoyed at myself for not thinking of that with the drawer full of banggood tat I have. The only problem is the RAM constraints, you'd have to do a lot of pre-processing to the sounds, but that's not that difficult.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

poo poo of course an Arduino could do it even cheaper, actually annoyed at myself for not thinking of that with the drawer full of banggood tat I have. The only problem is the RAM constraints, you'd have to do a lot of pre-processing to the sounds, but that's not that difficult.
If you have raw audio files, you could DMA them directly from a flash chip to an audio chip to the speaker. Very little CPU or RAM required. Depending on the size the sound files for a single pitch, you could just have a bunch of copies that map to speeds. Flash is cheap.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I already have Energica sending maintenance materials to a shop near me to keep up on the warranty. The bike I bought from Florida had a battery issue so they shipped me a loaner bike from California while they fixed it.

that's cool, what kind of maintenance is needed that's electric specific?

i'm getting warmer on the idea of an e-bike for commuting but the zeros are ugly as gently caress.

i really liked the look of the Damon bikes but who knows if that's real or not. the range they were talking was pretty good

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Razzled posted:

that's cool, what kind of maintenance is needed that's electric specific?

i'm getting warmer on the idea of an e-bike for commuting but the zeros are ugly as gently caress.

i really liked the look of the Damon bikes but who knows if that's real or not. the range they were talking was pretty good

If something like the charge fuse blows then they'd have to drop the battery, open it up, and replace it. Not an easy job. Or the AC onboard charger could fail; Zero bikes are plagued with this. The inverter/controller could fail. It's rare, but I've heard of it. The worst is if your battery, or one of the cells, goes bad. A battery is only as good as its weakest cell. In Energica's case they can open up the battery and replace a bad cell should that ever happen. In Zero's case, the battery is fully potted in a thermal compound, so they cannot. If a cell goes bad they have to chuck the entire battery and replace it.

edit- Damons are probably years away at best. I actually made a snide comment about it being a concept bike on a facebook group and the Damon CEO popped in to defend it. So who knows.

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 18, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

went camping on the natchez trace last night to visit meriwether lewis' grave and drink beer

it was cold (34 around 7pm and 23 at 6am) and the ground was crunchy:

but I did pack two bundles of firewood in from columbia :D (the cars behind me stayed far back):

hammock camping is the only way to camp:

and the ride out the day after was incredible:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It finally warmed up long enough to get the grime, dust and bugs off the little fart and go for a spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rolo posted:

It finally warmed up long enough to get the grime, dust and bugs off the little fart and go for a spin.

drat that is a pristine bike! How many miles you got on it at this point?

Finally got out a couple weekends ago to get some sunshiny pictures with more interesting backdrops. I'm too lazy to get up early enough to catch the golden hour of sunlight, but these turned out pretty well (Lightroom is my friend)