Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I find that as long as the wife is out of the house the racks fit in the dishwasher on a pot wash.

After a time at 500F what is there to wash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I just bought a pellet grill. Is that cheating?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
If you can make hickory smoked horse buttholes then it's not cheating.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Horse meat is pretty hard to come by in Australia (except in the meat pies), and I can't imagine their arseholes are any easier

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Which grill did you end up buying?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Fall Dog posted:

Which grill did you end up buying?

I got a Pit Boss one, it got an OK review by Amazing Ribs. It's nothing flash compared to the Traegers or GMGs but it's also half the price and still comes with a decent warranty if it fucks up. And it's going to get a thrashing so if it's a piece of poo poo I'll just keep swapping them over when they break.

I mainly wanted something I could throw a brisket in before I go to bed and wake up to not completely ruined meat, without the hassle of getting up every hour or so to adjust the vents on the weber.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I got a Pit Boss one, it got an OK review by Amazing Ribs. It's nothing flash compared to the Traegers or GMGs but it's also half the price and still comes with a decent warranty if it fucks up. And it's going to get a thrashing so if it's a piece of poo poo I'll just keep swapping them over when they break.

I mainly wanted something I could throw a brisket in before I go to bed and wake up to not completely ruined meat, without the hassle of getting up every hour or so to adjust the vents on the weber.

Traegers seem flimsy as hell to me. The ones I have looked over of friends are thin walled uninsulated gimmicks.

A decent double walled keg or ceramic egg-type is vastly better, and with a decent stoker you need not be losing sleep over a brisket. Not to mention if you want to sear, good luck doing such with a pellet grill.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
My folks have a Traeger and it's fine, but left unattended, the pellets in the hopper don't always feed properly. Every half hour or so they need to be stirred up to keep the thing going. Kind of disappointing as it totally negates the ability to just set it up and let it run. Definitely wouldn't want to use it for an overnight cook

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I splurged on the fireboard meat thermometer a few months ago and like it pretty good, may even get the fan controllers some day, but I wonder if anyone knows a way to set louder alarms on it in the meantime?

If I took a nap there's no way that quiet beep beep sound would wake me to adjust a vent.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Keep in mind pellets absorb moisture.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's this Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow pellet grill for $150 on Woot. Is this a piece of junk or worth jumping on? Shipping is $6 or free if you have Prime

https://tools.woot.com/offers/masterbuilt-smoke-hollow-pellet-grill

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TITANKISSER69 posted:

There's this Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow pellet grill for $150 on Woot. Is this a piece of junk or worth jumping on? Shipping is $6 or free if you have Prime

I am intrigued but not hopeful that this is a quality product.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

TITANKISSER69 posted:

I can't imagine a $150 pellet grill would be good considering half of the $500 ones are crap.

FWIW I love my Camp Chef DLX24 which I snagged for like $400 new.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Traegers seem flimsy as hell to me. The ones I have looked over of friends are thin walled uninsulated gimmicks.

A decent double walled keg or ceramic egg-type is vastly better, and with a decent stoker you need not be losing sleep over a brisket. Not to mention if you want to sear, good luck doing such with a pellet grill.

Yeah I’ve kept the old kettle if I want to sear something.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I was curious about those. They looked similar to the Traeger models, if it's the one I'm thinking about. Build quality seemed pretty good too.

Purists think pellet grills are cheating, but they're super convenient. Bunnings sells a few varieties of pellets these days, depending on where you are, which can be a little cheaper than Barbeques Galore.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

It's not cheating, it's efficiency! After a year with a pellet cooker, it ain't cheating to reliably lock in temps and cook whatever my heart desires "on the grill." It does not make my ribs, roasts, chops or poultry smokey enough though.
So, roasts on the kettle, ribs on the wsm. Everything else~on the woodwind! Possibly accompanied by a pellet tube.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use an electric and food tastes just fine. I have other hobbies to perfect, good food is all I'm after.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Fall Dog posted:

Purists think pellet grills are cheating, but they're super convenient.

So is the McRib. :colbert:

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I use an a-maze-n pellet maze with my pellet smoker. It adds extra smoke for minimal fuel, and allows me to customise my smoke with using additional flavours.

I've also used it to cold smoke some cheese inside my smoker and the results were pretty good, despite using cheap cheese. The biggest downside I found for it was the price (around $70 excluding shipping).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I’ve got one of those pellet mazes, I might give that a go if the grill isn’t giving me enough smoke flavour on its own. I thought I might try some stronger flavour pellets too, hickory or mesquite or something - I’ve currently got oak and apple pellets.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I can confirm there was a butcher that sold horse in Perth about 3000km from where I live but they stopped when horse chicks started sending him death threats. There may or may not be another one in Sydney, about 1200km from here. Otherwise asking the knackery for some fresh horse arseholes or waiting out the back of the local racecourse on a Sunday are my best bets.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think local delicacies could be substituted. kangaroo arseholes? It's all meat, and all meat must be smoked.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So, moose buttholes for Canada?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Or beaver. Either is acceptable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

I think local delicacies could be substituted. kangaroo arseholes? It's all meat, and all meat must be smoked.

Unfortunately roos have a cloaca instead of an arsehole, I’m not sure if that would work

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Smoked drop bears would be tasty.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Smoked drop bears would be tasty.

Plenty of those around at the moment, don’t even need to stick them in a bbq

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Plenty of those around at the moment, don’t even need to stick them in a bbq

:yikes:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ate a camel burger once.

Camel meat is super lean on account of camels store most of their fat in their humps, so the meat is kinda bland. It’s also pretty low in calories, though, which is great if you’re on a diet like me.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
How does venison turn out if you smoke it?

There’s a farm somewhat near me that sells cabrito, I wonder what that’d be like? I had smoked lamb once and it was pretty good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Really easy to make jerkey from, but a far far cry from anything I’d risk on a smoker.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Smoked deer is great as long as you keep it moist somehow.

Cabrito makes the best kind if barbacoa.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Smoked a 7lb pork butthole a few days ago. Nothing fancy. Salted and left in fridge for 48 hours (wanted 24 but life happened), traeger pork & poulty rub, smoked it at 225 for 18 hours until 180. Bumped it up to 235 for the last 20 degrees since it slowed to a crawl. 21 hours total and pulled it at 200. Let it sit in a cooler with towels for 3-4 hours.

Family said it was my best pork yet in 6 months of having the traeger. Before I tried foiling or papering at the stall and adding apple cider, etc. Never tried salting the day prior though, so maybe that helped? Unfortunately, this was poorly timed after nasal surgery so I couldn’t taste anything.

Was wondering why my pellets were burning quicker than usual...

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 12, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Always a good idea to salt your meat 24-48 hours beforehand. Except fish, it can get salty after 12 hours or so.

You should try butcher paper for the crutch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tasty lookin butt there, but looks lonely on that big grate surface. next time triple down and freeze the leftovers!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

tasty lookin butt there, but looks lonely on that big grate surface. next time triple down and freeze the leftovers!

7lbs of pork. I have plenty of leftovers!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

There’s a farm somewhat near me that sells cabrito, I wonder what that’d be like? I had smoked lamb once and it was pretty good.

I’ve never done it myself however I’ve been told that venison ribs can handle low and slow cooking but everything else is too lean to cook for that long and is best done hot and fast.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I’ve never done it myself however I’ve been told that venison ribs can handle low and slow cooking but everything else is too lean to cook for that long and is best done hot and fast.

When I get an elk roast my plan is to sous vide and smoke. Dunno which I'd do first. If/when I actually bag a whole elk, I plan to do elk ribs as well.
But yeah, with deer it is basically marinading and fast cooks (unless puddled), IMHO.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I threw a couple of pork scotch fillets, some ribs and some lamb shanks on the pellet grill then hosed off to the gym for a few hours. It's the first time I've let it go unattended and was relieved to find the meat wasn't ruined and the house hadn't burnt down in my absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Any Aussie goons, Barbeques Galore is having a Traeger pellet sale this weekend with 3 bags for $75. Reasonable, considering the regular price these days is $35 per bag