Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat wanna be at that afterparty

I don't even speak korean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Love this!

https://mobile.twitter.com/APEntertainment/status/1226839731473809408

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

saw this on the r/movies thread about the oscar win

lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MAGA response to Parasite winning

https://mobile.twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1226858193403379712

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean as far as chuddy takes it's better than

https://twitter.com/MillerStream/status/1226694285573132290?s=20

there's some serious quantum galaxy braining in there

he's doubling down and back tracking all at once

and retweeted these

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1226740832671129601?s=20

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1226748295378325509?s=20

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'll take Miller at his word that he's not a racist against Koreans specifically, but at everyone that's not a white American in general.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
So god drat happy for Bong. Pissing off the red hats is just icing on the cake.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
The destruction of America = me not getting what I want

Checks out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1226749686616190978
https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1226755241296613376
https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1226757630699327489

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watching the befuddled chud takes come in is definitely gonna be a nice side benefit of Parasite's win.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I really want to rewatch the scene of the family getting drunk in the living room. I feel like there’s a ton going on there and I’m sure I missed a lot of it the first go around. I wonder if there’s anything to the fact that the husband and wife do a brief role play on the couch about how much they hate each other as a joke, and then on that same couch that same night the rich are role playing in order to “love” each other.

This movie didn’t blow me away on the initial viewing, but it stuck in my head and just steadily becomes more and more impactful.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I wish this movie would get a premium format release. I’d love to watch it in Dolby cinema or RPX or something. I saw Jojo rabbit in Dolby and it was real good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dirksteadfast posted:

I really want to rewatch the scene of the family getting drunk in the living room. I feel like there’s a ton going on there and I’m sure I missed a lot of it the first go around. I wonder if there’s anything to the fact that the husband and wife do a brief role play on the couch about how much they hate each other as a joke, and then on that same couch that same night the rich are role playing in order to “love” each other.

This movie didn’t blow me away on the initial viewing, but it stuck in my head and just steadily becomes more and more impactful.

One of the things that stuck out to me was how they talked about how nice the Parks were despite being rich, and the mom says they’re nice because they’re rich. “Money is an iron, all the creases get ironed out”

The Parks can be outwardly nice and pleasant because they’re not desperate for money, and the ways that they are terrible are subtle and fly under the radar

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More cultural notes: this guy talks about how formal/informal language is used in the film between superiors/inferiors, and other things like Kiwoo keeping his head at the pizza manager’s eye level to show subordination

https://zenkimchi.com/featured/cultural-details-you-missed-in-parasite/

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
From the Stock Trading thread:

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1226902394765746176?s=20

This poo poo would make an awesome movie if it wasn't reality.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Strikes me as more The Host than Parasite.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can't even enjoy the best film of the year actually winning an academy award because of the chuds.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Please post more people being angry about Parasite, it fills me with such warmth :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I still see too many people viewing the Park family as the "bad guys". When according to Bong he intentionally made the Park family a family that has many appealing qualities, and the critique was more on the system that leads to the Park family, who by most accounts are just a good family, still oblivious to their privilege and how the disconnect between the rich and poor lead to unintentional harmful behavior. And also how that divide leads to a lack of empathy and understanding.

There's a quote that Bong said paraphrasing was "I wanted to make a film where there's no real villain, and have the audience ask themselves how did things play out the way they did when there were really no "bad" people involved?"

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 10, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

I still see too many people viewing the Park family as the "bad guys". When according to Bong he intentionally made the Park family a family that has many appealing qualities, and the critique was more on the system that leads to the Park family, who by most accounts are just a good family, still oblivious to their privilege and how the disconnect between the rich and poor lead to unintentional harmful behavior. And also how that divide leads to a lack of empathy and understanding.

There's a quote that Bong said paraphrasing was "I wanted to make a film where there's no real villain, and have the audience ask themselves how did things play out the way they did when there were really no "bad" people involved?"
But that doesn't fit into my extremely limited world view!!!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

theblackw0lf posted:

There's a quote that Bong said paraphrasing was "I wanted to make a film where there's no real villain, and have the audience ask themselves how did

fenix down posted:

play out the way they did when there were really no "bad" people involved?"

fenix down posted:

But capitalism etc

Ironically bong ALSO participates in society. Makes you think!?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

I feel the same way. I think feeling tense while taking in the plot got in the way of appreciating the artistry in the second half a bit (it's pretty loving dour), but the longer I thought about it after that initial feeling wore off, the more positive my lasting impression was of the overall experience. I really want to rewatch it some time soon to see how I feel about the whole movie now that I know what's coming.

Ogmius815 posted:

I wish this movie would get a premium format release. I’d love to watch it in Dolby cinema or RPX or something. I saw Jojo rabbit in Dolby and it was real good.

I don't go to theaters too often because they make me anxious for some reason, but I'd definitely make an exception for this.

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, the message definitely wasn't 'kill the rich, who are your enemies,' it was 'we need a better system in which the rich and poor (and poor vs poorer) aren't pitted against each other in a zero sum competition.'

Steve Yun posted:

Please post more people being angry about Parasite, it fills me with such warmth :)

Please don't. Let's enjoy the moment instead of wallowing in poo poo with the worst people in the world. That said, this is violence:

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1226931132068966400

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 11, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I refuse to read those tweets until someone dubs them.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/GetDisneyPrime/status/1227048079293124609?s=20

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Interesting reddit post with insights on how the native language conveyed a lot of nuance between the characters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/f22qv0/insights_on_parasite_as_a_korean/

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Great movie with a whole lot to unpack.

The scene where the Kim family is running downhill seeing the rain go from mild inconvenience to life-ruining was loaded with so many obvious and subtle metaphors was so overwhelming and intellectually and emotionally. Then the follow-up with all of them having to get back "in character" with no sleep the next day was just soul crushing. The slow build to Ki-Taek snapping as he has to endure the casual classism of the Parks while barely having a second to process his life being up-ended was well done. On top of that, I read the ending as even though Ki-Taek had a brief revolutionary moment, he was ultimately an institutionalized man clinging to hope that if he continued to live within the system, he could eventually be happy.

My favorite funny moment was when Ki-Woon was bullshitting about Da-Song's artwork. "Chimpanzee?" "No, self-portrait." "Ah, well..."

The only thing I was having trouble with was Ki-Woon's illicit relationship with Da-Hye, especially as it pertains to his friend Min. I can see Ki-Woon quickly becoming attached to someone who actually respects him and Da-Hye longing for connection outside of her parents' approved social circle. The age difference makes the kiss pretty sketch for a protagonist, though. Not sure how to read Min's involvement, as I find a lot of merit to the theory that he was more involved the mom. On the other hand, Ki-Woon stealing his best friend's girl to get a leg up in society is pretty on-brand for him, but that only works if you take Min's love story at face value.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

Great movie with a whole lot to unpack.

The scene where the Kim family is running downhill seeing the rain go from mild inconvenience to life-ruining was loaded with so many obvious and subtle metaphors was so overwhelming and intellectually and emotionally. Then the follow-up with all of them having to get back "in character" with no sleep the next day was just soul crushing. The slow build to Ki-Taek snapping as he has to endure the casual classism of the Parks while barely having a second to process his life being up-ended was well done. On top of that, I read the ending as even though Ki-Taek had a brief revolutionary moment, he was ultimately an institutionalized man clinging to hope that if he continued to live within the system, he could eventually be happy.

So I had just had a thought about Ki-Taek's last day. Throughout the movie, the Parks have made a thing about not just the Kim's smell, but Ki-Taek's in particular. And it comes up again and again that people try to figure just what that smell is. Old radishes? Semi-basement? I think in the last day it crystalizes to Ki-Taek that he smells like poo poo. After all, he's been marinating in sewage all night. So he smells like poo poo, and the Parks perceive him as poo poo. He overheard Dong-Ik saying that it's Ki-Taek's smell that always crosses the line: even during the most formal points of their employment relation, Dong-Ik stills perceives Ki-Taek as poo poo. This helps explain why the final inciting incident to Ki-Taek is not just Dong-Ik rolling Geun-Se's body to get the car keys, but specifically holding his nose as he does so.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Interesting movie which I enjoyed but boy oh boy is the hype machine ever out in full force for this. I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5 and particularly applaud it's slick pace and cinematography but there were a couple of things which I just don't think elevate this to "the film of the decade" that a lot of people have touted this as.

Most noticeably is the ending epilogue. It feels extremely rushed to the extent that I got the feeling that some over-bearing exec had said to the director and editor "OK, wrap it up now, we need to get this out the door pronto!" I appreciate that Parasite is a medley of film genres that it pulls off well but the last 10 minutes are simply jarring in terms of narrative conclusion and as a result it all feels like it ends at far too fast a pace. Secondly, I feel there's very little explored of Ki-woo and Da-hye's relationship. Thirdly, the kid deciphering the morse code... maybe I'm remembering wrong but that had no impact on anything at all! I appreciate a red herring but I dunno, seemed like that was a thread that led nowhere rather than as a device to throw the audience off.

Overall though, I'm glad I saw it and happy that a savage, multi-genre satire of class division has got recognition. It's obviously made with tremendous love and craft but I really have no urgency to rush back and see it again. A film I respect, appreciate the key points and themes of, enjoy the rich visual and narrative messages of, but just can't trip over myself to recommend as an essential 5-star masterpiece.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
As long as people are posting nuclear hot takes about parasite winning, I have a “fat man” to drop in here

https://twitter.com/bongjoonwhore/status/1226811394206531584?s=21

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

frytechnician posted:

Thirdly, the kid deciphering the morse code... maybe I'm remembering wrong but that had no impact on anything at all!

Have you considered that calling for help from the rich results in nothing, and that this might be intentional and maybe even central to the movie’s themes

It might even foreshadow that Kitaek’s final Morse code to Kijung is likewise going to be fruitless

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 11, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Colonel Whitey posted:

As long as people are posting nuclear hot takes about parasite winning, I have a “fat man” to drop in here

he wanted joker to win so badly, he didn't even realize the true clown was himself

honk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The real jokers were the ones we became along the way

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Whitey posted:

Definitely a loser that has seen all 39 marvel movies and all 15 star wars movies. I couldn't imagine a worse fate.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Steve Yun posted:

Have you considered that calling for help from the rich results in nothing, and that this might be intentional and maybe even central to the movie’s themes

It might even foreshadow that Kitaek’s final Morse code to Kijung is likewise going to be fruitless

Huh.... fair enough!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As for the tonal shift, and the ending being rushed, I disagree, but I think that's a matter of personal preference

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

It's also worth noting that, of what we see, Da-Song has written down "H O L P M." He's decoding it incorrectly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Haha oh yeah that was great

There was a Q&A with Bong I saw a couple weeks ago where the host asked him about the term "Bongtails" and Bong seemed genuinely surprised anyone outside of Korea knew the term. Korean media apparently coined the term to refer to the insane level of detail in his films

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1227208439731912707

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/modooborahae/status/1227003413336031239?s=21

Kind of wild to see the actor for Geunse with a full head of hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

It's also worth noting that, of what we see, Da-Song has written down "H O L P M." He's decoding it incorrectly.

I just took it as them showing how this poor man's extreme plight is just a fun game for a rich kid.