Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

taqueso posted:

Make sure to know your bush flood plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

takin' care of beavness

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sploosh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whatever the male equivalent of sploosh is

Which I guess is also sploosh

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

haveblue posted:

Whatever the male equivalent of sploosh is

Which I guess is also sploosh

Boooiing

or

Skeet

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

If they are running is it better?
How does screaming and rolling on the ground effect things?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Strange, I thought Russians were usually on the giving end of air disasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLiBBQouLY

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

terrenblade posted:

If they are running is it better?
How does screaming and rolling on the ground effect things?

All of those things indicate the occupants are not dead, which is still better than if they are not leaving the plane I guess.

A great landing is one where the plane can be used again

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

taqueso posted:

takin' care of beavness
:kiss:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/pj_hawx/status/1226659937599868928

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:vince:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Jesus Christ I got nervous when Mox rolled out from under Kenny Omega, when the latter attempted a Phoenix Splash from the top turnbuckle onto bare wood during a "lights out" (hardcore) match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpiMzPFCX1Y

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/41h2Tp9.gifv

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Wasabi the J posted:

Strange, I thought Russians were usually on the giving end of air disasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLiBBQouLY

Holy gently caress that park.

They stopped lubricating the ride cables and started putting corn starch on instead to reduce slippage. :aaa:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

here is a picture of someone that forgot to notice 12,000 lbs of steel stopped on the highway in front of them

i drove away with a broken taillight, a couple white marks, and a giggle

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

VectorSigma posted:

here is a picture of someone that forgot to notice 12,000 lbs of steel stopped on the highway in front of them

i drove away with a broken taillight, a couple white marks, and a giggle

I'm confused, it looks like this car got rear-ended.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

you don't say

they spun out trying to stop, and did an rear end to rear end

here it is before they moved it

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 10, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy gently caress that park.

They stopped lubricating the ride cables and started putting corn starch on instead to reduce slippage. :aaa:

Who'd have thought that relying on minimum-wage, minimumally-trained teenagers to trigger emergency safety features would backfire??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Seeing a motionless kid with traumatic amputation injuries as a teen would've been supremely upsetting, so I don't ever blame that one kid from running away.

I feel like the big red button should be replaced with a Deadman switch, so if the failsafe person, iunno, gets injured, incapacitated, or runs away from their position, it activates.

gently caress the business owners who marginalized safety for profit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VectorSigma posted:

you don't say

they spun out trying to stop, and did an rear end to rear end

here it is before they moved it

are you the guy who drives for Roehl or the other guy in the blue International?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you the guy who drives for Roehl or the other guy in the blue International?

my truck and employer are safely out of frame behind me

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ah, a Swift man

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Six Flags thing really sucks because the guy who made the video is blaming the operator and I can guarantee that the operator was told by management to never, ever, under any circumstances, press the e stop without authorization from said management. Also, 10 seconds doesn't sound to me like enough time to really figure out what is even going on.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i cant believe action park is still operating

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Humerus posted:

The Six Flags thing really sucks because the guy who made the video is blaming the operator and I can guarantee that the operator was told by management to never, ever, under any circumstances, press the e stop without authorization from said management. Also, 10 seconds doesn't sound to me like enough time to really figure out what is even going on.

yeaaaaaahhhhhhh buuuuuut if I'm a ride operator, I've just started the ride cycle, and I hear a loud loving unexpected bang from the ride, I'm loving hitting that estop with all of my limbs, I don't give a poo poo about finding out what exactly happened. But yes, you're probably right that management told the operators they'd be instafired for hitting the button.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When I was a ride op I was trained on one of those swinging ship type rides. The manager training me explained to never hit the E-Stop button because it didn't stop the ride... it cut the power which changed the ship into an uncontrolled free-swing that would just keep going.

There was a separate "Ride Stop" button that would stop the ride in an emergency.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Humerus posted:

Even better, it's probably more like:

"Oh, no, not at all, you should absolutely hit the e-stop if you have any suspicion that there's a safety hazard. We're very clear on that. Safety first! Buuuuut, just be aware that if you e-stop unnecessarily, we're going to have to conduct a disciplinary review. We totally trust you and will stand by your decisions, as long as you're really sure that it's the correct move. Just understand that, well, false alarms generate negative shareholder value..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Humerus posted:

Yeah , is it not conceivable that there are circumstances in which cutting the power semi‐permanently is not the right move?

We saw here that the restraints could not be opened till maintenance arrived and overrode it. That’s bad.

It seems to me that the major problem here, other than the maintenance on that cable, is that the ride defaulted to dropping after ten seconds.

The E‐stop button could have been pressed during that countdown, but perhaps a dead‐mans switch would be a better solution. When it’s not depressed, don’t let the ride move either up or down, and don’t lock out the power for good.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Even better, it's probably more like:

"Oh, no, not at all, you should absolutely hit the e-stop if you have any suspicion that there's a safety hazard. We're very clear on that. Safety first! Buuuuut, just be aware that if you e-stop unnecessarily, we're going to have to conduct a disciplinary review. We totally trust you and will stand by your decisions, as long as you're really sure that it's the correct move. Just understand that, well, false alarms generate negative shareholder value..."

Absolutely this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Do the right thing!............just make sure it's the right thing."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/mbessey/status/1227045962427691008?s=21

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zUMMvJM.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m a stick in the mud who wouldn’t even use the biological or radiological hazard symbols for decorative purposes, but I have to say that that would make a neat keychain.

Problematic, but neat.

Don’t let that distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Platystemon posted:

Yeah , is it not conceivable that there are circumstances in which cutting the power semi‐permanently is not the right move?

We saw here that the restraints could not be opened till maintenance arrived and overrode it. That’s bad.

It seems to me that the major problem here, other than the maintenance on that cable, is that the ride defaulted to dropping after ten seconds.

The E‐stop button could have been pressed during that countdown, but perhaps a dead‐mans switch would be a better solution. When it’s not depressed, don’t let the ride move either up or down, and don’t lock out the power for good.

Perhaps I am unclear on what happened, but the "defaulting to dropping" sounded like normal operation (i.e. in the 10 second delay before the e-stop was hit it behaved normally)? It also makes sense that hitting the E-stop during a drop would engage the brakes and attempt to stop the cars as safely as is possible for the riders.

Also agreed that the E-stop should be relatively simple to undo. It is a tricky situation though - it's one button that has to safely stop everything in unknown equipment conditions. You absolutely do not want the rider's restraint bars opening up when the riders are 50 feet in the air, for instance, no matter how hard the rider attempts to get themselves out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

Don’t let that distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

:911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-T-mQTUUjg

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

We had a radiological canister show up in the hospital rehab-gym once, some transport person left it in the pocket on the back of this wheel chair...so the tech pulls this thing out, is like "what is this???", and it's like a tungsten tube with radioactive hazard symbols on it...I'm like "DROP AND RUN!" and I get really freaked out, trying to argue with people to leave the gym right loving now. Turns out it was whatever they use to house dyes for nuclear stress tests or something...then the tech went ahead and cracked it open and it was empty. I had just read that story from Brazil about those dudes taking apart that chemo machine and I freaked the hell out (thanks chemistry thread).

kinda similar to this but longer and narrower, scared the hell out of me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Platystemon posted:

I'm wondering why there wasn't an automated mechanism that would notice, say, the cable tension wasn't in the correct bounds and automatically brought the cars to a halt? Though I suppose stuff like that costs money, and it's not like carnies are good at investing in safety measures.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just out of curiosity. When you are stuck in an electrified vehicle, is it safe to touch the metal parts of the vehicle as long as you're not touching the ground at the same time? Should be, right?

Don't earth. That's the most important part.

A classmate of mine was working as a logger. The boom hit a high tension line.

The tires began burning. The dude in the cab was safe. Driver was isolated. My classmate saw the tires catch on fire so he grabbed the fire extinguisher on the side of the rig.

He earthed. Full overhead voltage through is body. He was dead-right-there. DRT. They tried CPR but he was a hot dog at that point.

He had no idea what was happening. He was just trying to help with the fire and he earthed. Don't earth out. You are not safe. High tension is high tension. Just be safe. Wait 5 seconds and then make your decision. The worst I've had is 240v across my body. 120,000 volts is not a thing I wish to experience.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

LifeSunDeath posted:

We had a radiological canister show up in the hospital rehab-gym once, some transport person left it in the pocket on the back of this wheel chair...so the tech pulls this thing out, is like "what is this???", and it's like a tungsten tube with radioactive hazard symbols on it...I'm like "DROP AND RUN!" and I get really freaked out, trying to argue with people to leave the gym right loving now. Turns out it was whatever they use to house dyes for nuclear stress tests or something...then the tech went ahead and cracked it open and it was empty. I had just read that story from Brazil about those dudes taking apart that chemo machine and I freaked the hell out (thanks chemistry thread).

kinda similar to this but longer and narrower, scared the hell out of me.

Feel assured that you had the correct reaction. You should find out who your facilities radiation safety officer is so you know who to tell if it happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Home grown OSHA. I imagine this is going to be some nightmare fuel for me as the full story comes out.