Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m looking forward and sitting down and watching those. They’re touring the stage show here in the US and my in-laws went to see it, and haaaaaaated it haha. I can’t say I’m surprised though.

Oh man, I would pay good to money to see the unwary exposed to pantomimes.

They maybe lean on "the set falls apart" and "idiot forgets his lines" a bit too much, but they come up with some wonderfully creative cock-ups. For me, the highlight was the Christmas one, where one of the two elves got stuck in the chimney, and so the other had to do all of the double-act bits (leaning on each other, co-op gymnastics, trust-falls) by herself. Pure slapstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I know that it's twee, I know that it's literally a pantomime, but the Goes Wrong Show is the best drat thing on TV.

They are great. Highly recommend seeing their plays live. I saw the play that goes wrong with the original cast (most of the tv cast), never laughed as hard in my life.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

New episode of Inside Number 9 was really good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BSam posted:

New episode of Inside Number 9 was really good.

I love Inside No. 9 - always glad they're so sporadic and they don't rush them out because they're such high quality.

The Referee's A...:
And absolutely did not see this twist coming. I was expecting the 'polished' official to have faked the bribe.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Red Oktober posted:

The Referee's A...:
And absolutely did not see this twist coming. I was expecting the 'polished' official to have faked the bribe.

Same. I thought it went from an ok episode to a brilliant one at that part.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Red Oktober posted:

I love Inside No. 9 - always glad they're so sporadic and they don't rush them out because they're such high quality.

The Referee's A...:

anyone catch the blue team captain's number? Very good joke imo

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Padje posted:

anyone catch the blue team captain's number? Very good joke imo

:aaa:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Huh, Pip Schofield came out. Something in the broom cupboard water.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Was Gordon the Gopher actually a bear?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tsietisin posted:

Was Gordon the Gopher actually a bear?

Clearly an otter.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wasn't expecting the pleasant surprise of that Inside No 9 episode being a Psychoville sequel.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Wasn't expecting the pleasant surprise of that Inside No 9 episode being a Psychoville sequel.

I enjoyed that.

Inside No 9 has had some loving classic episodes. I'm rewatching Bernie Cliftons Dressing Room right now.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

the CGI ping pong ball had me thinking. Couldn't believe it when it actually happened. Wonder what people who never saw Psychoville will make of it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is anyone watching The Pale Horse or am I the only guy who'll watch anything w/ Agatha Christie's name on it. It seems to be about witches.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Somehow I have only just learned that stand up comedian and panel show stalwart Dominic Holland’s son is Tom.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

They are great. Highly recommend seeing their plays live. I saw the play that goes wrong with the original cast (most of the tv cast), never laughed as hard in my life.

Did same, can recommend

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Did anyone watch the Barrymore documentary? Grim.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Very grim. Those people are horrendous.

And McMullen too. Horrible man. Leveson showed that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Inside No. 9: I never saw Psychoville and it sounds like a lot of the episode went over my head. Ping pong balls and the blender had something to do with it? (And obviously the cast)

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Inside No. 9: I never saw Psychoville and it sounds like a lot of the episode went over my head. Ping pong balls and the blender had something to do with it? (And obviously the cast)

To describe it would probably only raise more questions. I'd recommend watching the show if you like Inside Number 9. It's dead good and probably on netflix or iplayer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Padje posted:

To describe it would probably only raise more questions. I'd recommend watching the show if you like Inside Number 9. It's dead good and probably on netflix or iplayer.

The David plot always felt very meanspirited to me, making fun of learning disabilities or people with other developmental disorders. Always left a very bad taste in my mouth. When it's David and his mum being rubbish serial killers it was pretty great though, and S2's machine-gunning of Lost style plot twists was right up my alley.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Not now silent singer! Not now!!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The David plot always felt very meanspirited to me, making fun of learning disabilities or people with other developmental disorders. Always left a very bad taste in my mouth. When it's David and his mum being rubbish serial killers it was pretty great though, and S2's machine-gunning of Lost style plot twists was right up my alley.

I don't think it's making fun of him. The David plotline always felt like it was being understanding about what he thinks and why he thinks it and his mum just got the wrong end of the stick

And don't get me wrong - it's not GREAT but like it's not Derek either

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 13, 2020

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Did anyone watch the Barrymore documentary? Grim.

hosed up. At least the police admitted mistakes were made (begrudgingly it seems. My understanding is that they hosed up more than they admit) but still. It's this weird stalemate where the only people who can tell you what happened have no interest in doing so and you know they're responsible but there's nothing you can do either.

At the end of the day this poor guy was violently raped and died and the three other people there know exactly what happened. If you're his family how are you not going out of your mind.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I know it's not strictly a British show, although it is by Armando Iannuci... however, I am kind of low key enjoying Avenue 5 if only because I enjoy watching Hugh Laurie lose it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Octy posted:

I know it's not strictly a British show, although it is by Armando Iannuci... however, I am kind of low key enjoying Avenue 5 if only because I enjoy watching Hugh Laurie lose it.

I also quite enjoy omnishambles in space so far. Although maybe it could have been a bit punchier as a movie.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I also quite enjoy omnishambles in space so far. Although maybe it could have been a bit punchier as a movie.

Yep i'm enjoying Space Blackadder so far, there's some great set pieces (the coffins orbiting the ship is particularly funny). Hugh Laurie's accent repeatedly slipping up is great.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slash posted:

Yep i'm enjoying Space Blackadder so far, there's some great set pieces (the coffins orbiting the ship is particularly funny). Hugh Laurie's accent repeatedly slipping up is great.

I've read Laurie's Gun Seller, and you can tell he's been obsessed with his ability to do a good American accent as a Brit for ages, because it's one of the main character's many talents that is featured very prominently in the book, and there are episodes where he switches accents mid-conversation, etc. Finally, he can fully utilise it for a role.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

He does his American accent in House too. Apparently lots of Americans who were introduced to him through that show didn't know he was English.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slash posted:

He does his American accent in House too. Apparently lots of Americans who were introduced to him through that show didn't know he was English.

He also played an American general on Catch-22 (which, by the way, I also recommend) and an American politician on Veep. But playing a Brit pretending to be American is a first for him, I think.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Paladinus posted:

He also played an American general on Catch-22 (which, by the way, I also recommend) and an American politician on Veep. But playing a Brit pretending to be American is a first for him, I think.

Next step, playing an American pretending to be a Brit!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That talk reminds me of Dominic West playing an American pretending to be a Brit in one episode of The Wire, it's so good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

sebzilla posted:

Next step, playing an American pretending to be a Brit!

In the first season of House there's a scene where he pretends to be British on the phone to explain why he calls someone in the middle of the night.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Avenue 5 is great and has been renewed for season 2 but it has had a lukewarm reception and I don't know why.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I've only seen the first two, but they're very meandering, not what I was expecting from an Iannucci joint.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
David Tennant's American accent in Camping is hilariously bad. I feel bad when they try so hard...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

josh04 posted:

I've only seen the first two, but they're very meandering, not what I was expecting from an Iannucci joint.

They are, it's all very "poo poo, things are doing down all around us" - a very weird mood and the audio and sound track works well to make it happen

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Aphex- posted:

That talk reminds me of Dominic West playing an American pretending to be a Brit in one episode of The Wire, it's so good.

Yeah that's pretty much what I had in mind.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Marmaduke! posted:

David Tennant's American accent in Camping is hilariously bad. I feel bad when they try so hard...

It's nothing compared to Philip Glenister's accent on the rightfully forgotten Demons. But I don't think he tried very hard for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Special mention to Daniel Craig’s southern accent in Knives Out. It’s not bad as such (I definitely heard real versions of it in my time living in Louisiana), but it’s definitely something special, and he’s clearly having a blast doing it.