Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just want to thank everyone for quoting every Crowsbeak post at length so I can read all about that incredibly interesting Red Scare drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Go to her personal website and go through her resume link. The company she worked for in Charlottesville had dod contracts and she talks about working for a company in Charlottesville. Also she currently works for a company that develops technologies to immediately buy up properties that go on the market. Which if you frequent the doomsday economics thread means she helps develop technologies that make it easier for banks to snap up properties in cities and make them unavailable for normal people. Like seriously she may align against neonazis but it’s like as a form of secular indulgences for working for the worse companies in the world. Yes capitalism is an evil system from head to toe, and there is no ethical consumption as Sonic the Hedgehog says but directly profiting from its violence and its overt exploitation is probably the worse thing you can do.
She got a ton of well-deserved poo poo for this back in the day, but I guess the "protect Emily" crew has successfully buried it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what is the deal with red scare anyway, I listened for a few times and didn't get anything truly obtuse from what I was expecting, so I feel like I am missing a lot of ~context~ for this ~discourse~

I don't think they actually regard themselves as a politically driven left-oriented thing, or they actually do and I missed the point all along?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dead gay comedy forums posted:

what is the deal with red scare anyway, I listened for a few times and didn't get anything truly obtuse from what I was expecting, so I feel like I am missing a lot of ~context~ for this ~discourse~

I don't think they actually regard themselves as a politically driven left-oriented thing, or they actually do and I missed the point all along?

Anna will throw out a broadly-construed sweeping judgement/opinion about something, and people will lose their poo poo. It happens all the time. She's just talking poo poo, but people act like she's dictating position papers.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grevling posted:

Is it just that you find him unlikable or also that he doesn't know what he's talking about? He does have a certain self-importance but I tend to find what he says interesting.

Varn's got the heart of a poster and that makes him an acquired taste, but he does know his poo poo. He's been hanging around left intellectual circles for 15 years, and I think the defensiveness is warranted considering the number of ill-tempered cranks he's run into over the years. Incidentally, Amber has a good article about Left Forum from a few years ago that illustrates this quite well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If working for a capitalist enterprise that maintains the class system is evil, the vast majority of activists are hosed. Gorcenski isn't working for Raytheon.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

sleeptalker posted:

I only listened to the one linked, and there his criticism of Amber was something about how telling people to support a cause (i.e. Bernie) that's not your exact ideal vision is liberalism, actually. He sounds like someone who might have embarrassed himself a couple times by over-zealously embracing a specific tendency as a form of self-identity, and subsequently reacts by rejecting any label to avoid further embarrassment.

Varn seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every leftist group and ideology and is always eager to point out how x group believes so-and-so and why they are wrong. it definitely gets a little tedious.

I like Doug Lain though, he seems a lot more earnest and humble than Varn and he’s had plenty of interesting discussions with guests on the podcast

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

anytime anyone brings up Red Scare, imagine the Bumblebee Man getting thwacked in the head with a safe

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I would maybe feel a little bit bad for Peterson if this downfall wasn’t entirely of his own making and he refused the actual advice of doctors and real medicine so he could continue his hosed up fad diet

the universe can only tell you you’re a dipshit so many times before it just becomes your fault you won’t listen

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the only "ultrawoke" thing that really irritates me is that kind of quote rt concern trolling. easy enough to mute imo.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

He didn't clean his room.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

they don't, but a number of very sad creatures do, to the point they will do a 180 on their deeply considered views re: who needs to go in the Magdalene Laundries the second a dasha informs them "Louis C.K. jerking off on his subordinates was praxis actually"

think along the same lines of Rick and Morty. the show itself: alright, if niche. the fanbase: probably need to be taken out back and shot.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its cum town for girls but people think its chapo for girls so every time one of the hosts says something stupid people lose their poo poo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I Before E posted:

The Peterson thing is a great example of something being very funny and very sad at the same time.

Yeah. Raise your kid to be a charlatan grifter, then as soon as you show weakness they extraordinary rendition your rear end to a Russian black site rehab facility, because Western Medicine Has Failed™

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I would maybe feel a little bit bad for Peterson if this downfall wasn’t entirely of his own making and he refused the actual advice of doctors and real medicine

Peterson basis for his "renown" in psychology was (I hope he learned) "what if Jung was Totally Correct" and stopped there, which is lmao-worthy because even within traditional psychoanalysis Jung is considered much more of a conceptual writer and pretty loving far off from being a reference towards actual psychotherapy. To use Jung alone for mental healthcare would be like going to a doctor whose absolute reference is Galen, or something along those lines, and god forbid medication and actual therapy based on our current knowledge

edit: also thx for the red scare comments, that explains things

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

anna just wakes up every morning and tweets the opposite of what everyone else is tweeting theres no need to try to pick apart her argument

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah. Raise your kid to be a charlatan grifter, then as soon as you show weakness they extraordinary rendition your rear end to a Russian black site rehab facility, because Western Medicine Has Failed™

and the fact peterson's actual expertise is on addiction so this is some classic greek poo poo

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

will begging warren supporters on twitter was embarrassing

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ya'll like twitter

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Peterson basis for his "renown" in psychology was (I hope he learned) "what if Jung was Totally Correct" and stopped there, which is lmao-worthy because even within traditional psychoanalysis Jung is considered much more of a conceptual writer and pretty loving far off from being a reference towards actual psychotherapy. To use Jung alone for mental healthcare would be like going to a doctor whose absolute reference is Galen, or something along those lines, and god forbid medication and actual therapy based on our current knowledge
Considering the bizarre stories of how he actually conducted therapy, he seems more like the right-wing mirror to Lacan than anything else.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

Considering the bizarre stories of how he actually conducted therapy, he seems more like the right-wing mirror to Lacan than anything else.

Got a link to any accounts of Peterson in the clinic? First time I've heard about this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

zegermans posted:

America is an embarrassing country

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

I just want to thank everyone for quoting every Crowsbeak post at length so I can read all about that incredibly interesting Red Scare drama.

Your welcome

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Got a link to any accounts of Peterson in the clinic? First time I've heard about this.
https://www.canadalandshow.com/how-jordan-petersons-fame-affected-his-private-practice/

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/after-misconduct-complaint-jordan-peterson-agrees-to-plan-for-clinical-improvement

https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/jordan-peterson-seems-like-a-terrible-therapist.html

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

edit: also thx for the red scare comments, that explains things

I don't think he's even fully in agreement with Jung, he just seems to have taken the basic concept of collective unconscious/archetypes and used it to invent his own scheme mostly using modern conservative "common sense" kinda bullshit.

And Disney's Pinocchio.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
don't forget a good helping of Joseph Campbell

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fascinating stuff. He sounds like someone entirely unequipped for the stress of fame. No wonder he's had a life meltdown accompanied by a benzo addiction.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To begin with, he's exactly the sort of liberal degenerate he rails against. Lazy, pseudointellectual, incapable of real work, coddled by academia, and propelled to fame by a fleeting online "marketplace of ideas."

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

zegermans posted:

trust not the beastly imago that claims to have never begged or hustled

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

If working for a capitalist enterprise that maintains the class system is evil, the vast majority of activists are hosed. Gorcenski isn't working for Raytheon.

Seriously? designing loving programs to snap up properties the second they go on the market is a lot worse then just working as an low level accountant for amazon.

Relistened to demoncrats episode of true anon. I wish they had been able to do more on how Corbyn allowed too much to the libs of his party.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Varn seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every leftist group and ideology and is always eager to point out how x group believes so-and-so and why they are wrong. it definitely gets a little tedious.

I like Doug Lain though, he seems a lot more earnest and humble than Varn and he’s had plenty of interesting discussions with guests on the podcast

Yeah Doug seems like a good guy, he goes to bat for some dumb people sometimes but he's trying to keep his imprint going.

Varn seems like he has no patience for leftist academic circles but kinda comes off as someone who has spent too much time in those circles to every rise above the petty infighting among people who make at least triple the minimum wage.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Feb 10, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

zegermans posted:

not as embarrassing as him spending like a full five minutes reciting the speech from The Lighthouse verbatim except with no energy or panache whatsoever

THS
Sep 15, 2017

will is a perfect angel and everything he does is valid

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I still laugh every time I think of his moping on the verge of tears voice, goddamn

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

isn't part of chapo's appeal that they're really just a bunch of weirdo dorks who sit around ranting about politics though

a lot of what they do is really awkward, but everybody knows someone like these people, the chapo core audience of thirty-ish-year-old downwardly socially mobile slackers listens to them in no small part thanks to this somewhat pathetic earnestness imo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

isn't part of chapo's appeal that they're really just a bunch of weirdo dorks who sit around ranting about politics though

a lot of what they do is really awkward, but everybody knows someone like these people, the chapo core audience of thirty-ish-year-old downwardly socially mobile slackers listens to them in no small part thanks to this somewhat pathetic earnestness imo

I agree completely actually, but stuff like that Lighthouse bit is indeed part of that pathetic earnestness

the “Chapo Sincerity Hour” in the latest Iowa live show is one of the best things they’ve ever done despite being saccharine-sweet

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

V. Illych L. posted:

As opposed to what we do, here....

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tiberion02 posted:

As opposed to what we do, here....

i admire them! they dare be as ridiculous as they are, and it's working for them because a great many of us from that generation (myself included) have this weird ennui which they channel honestly and without attempting to disguise it. i personally try to put a straight face on it, but i feel it too, amidst the rotting remnants of my country's great triumphs.

the thing is, the cringe is a part of the package - sometimes they'll go for a joke and it will just bomb spectacularly, and that is part of the appeal because it's so intensely relatable

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

watch out they spoiler old yeller in the new chapo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

THS posted:

will is a perfect angel and everything he does is valid

i liked when someone in the audience yelled "wide dick willie!" and he responded with a quiet "...thank you."

V. Illych L. posted:

the chapo core audience of thirty-ish-year-old downwardly socially mobile slackers

i've been destroyed in one sentence