Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

An updated Morrowind would be neat, purely because I am so tremendously lazy that even the ~10 minutes or whatever it takes to run MCP and MGE XE, plus install Patch for Purists has put me off reinstalling in the past.

Also native controller support would be cool (I apologise if this is heresy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's heresy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Who uses controllers in an FPS unless they have to?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Katt posted:

Who uses controllers in an FPS unless they have to?

People with wrist issues.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

My PC is hooked up to the TV and I prefer to play games on my sofa rather than at my desk :shrug:. Plus I guess I'm a bit of a pro-gamer but personally I didn't have much issue with Morrowind's fast-paced twitch-reflex gameplay when I played it on a Steam controller.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember feeling like I was watching one of those "playing a game with a toaster as an input device" challenge videos when my friend was playing Morrowind on an XBox.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There are certain games I enjoy with a controller more: Elite Dangerous, Monster Hunter, Gears of War...

There is not a single Bethesda title on that list. IMO they're pretty much universally better with KB&M.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Fallout games and Elder Scrolls games shalt be played with keyboard and mouse. Gonna chisel that into the next courthouse 10 commandments statue I see.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bethesda games would probably be even better if they were made for keyboard and mouse or at least proper ported.

It makes no sense that my quick bar is limited to 12 or whatever the number is. Or that I can't use number keys to set stack size/drop items or letter keys to search my inventory.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Worse than that, playing them on consoles where you can't mod or use console commands. How do you even make it through a playthrough like that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Katt posted:

Wonder how many Morrowind modders are ready to remake their old mods for a "second decade" edition.

none, morrowind has been essentially decompiled to the point you can generate menus for anything in lua and that isn't going to happen again https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46283/

Floppychop posted:

There are certain games I enjoy with a controller more: Elite Dangerous, Monster Hunter, Gears of War...

There is not a single Bethesda title on that list. IMO they're pretty much universally better with KB&M.
:yeah: :same: on all accounts

Lightningproof posted:

An updated Morrowind would be neat, purely because I am so tremendously lazy that even the ~10 minutes or whatever it takes to run MCP and MGE XE, plus install Patch for Purists has put me off reinstalling in the past.

Also native controller support would be cool (I apologise if this is heresy).

openmw (the open source morrowind engine) includes rudimentary MCP/MGEXE options (with more coming soon (tm)) and has native controller support

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Ngl, I really hope bethesda is keeping a good log of “lessons learned of how we screwed this pooch”. I want to be optimistic about the franchise when they do things like actually delaying a deliverable in order to do most testing and get more feedback about the implementation. But then my cynical gut tells me they’re just scared shitless about losing even more cred before the next major Elder Scrolls title.

There's a little to be hopeful for. They said the Raiders are mostly locals who evacuated and have been trying to get back in, while the Settlers are union labor contractors from D.C. who just kind of show up once things die down. Having the locals defend their old property with guerrilla warfare against the feds could be neat.

Of course that could open the door for Civil War comparisons and apologia, but it's not like there's already Union and Confederate uniforms in the ga-OHH NOO.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Oh god.... Those are some good points.

poo poo’s gonna go crazy. Kinda hoping all the really extremist rp-ers unite on xbox or something. Keep mah PC games clear of that hot mess >:o

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

There's a little to be hopeful for. They said the Raiders are mostly locals who evacuated and have been trying to get back in, while the Settlers are union labor contractors from D.C. who just kind of show up once things die down. Having the locals defend their old property with guerrilla warfare against the feds could be neat.

Of course that could open the door for Civil War comparisons and apologia, but it's not like there's already Union and Confederate uniforms in the ga-OHH NOO.

Wait... seriously? Oh god am I terrible for hoping 76 makes news for being an alt right haven? Combine the elitism of the 1st on top of attracting neo nazis and the grieving potential could reach UO levels.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 10, 2020

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Remember when alt right dudes got all pissy about

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/916075551382585344

And the Bethesda response was to laugh in their faces?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Father Wendigo posted:

Oooooo, and I thought them using the Minute Men in FO4 was a tad tone-deaf!

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Think one of the morales of these stories is alot of people are lovely (especially old white dudes). So almost any historical or social reference, no matter how closely related to a region’s history and culture, is going to be problematic if not done carefully. And when it comes down to it once you add the internet to the picture standby for unabashed shitlordism. Dumb fucks being “ironically” nazis or “ironically” bigots since they think online gaming is their blanket ticket to be the piece of poo poo they always wanted to be. Thankfully we’ve seen precedent of bethesda folks responding well in the sense of wolfenstein (as linked in that good point) and also in fo76 when groups of homophobes would actively harass players.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BMan posted:

Worse than that, playing them on consoles where you can't mod or use console commands. How do you even make it through a playthrough like that

Yeah the last time I played Morrowind an important NPC like got lost or some poo poo, couldn't find him anywhere. Had to respawn him a console command to continue.

And this without getting into convenience stuff like "god drat mage guild NPC, move out of the loving DOORWAY" --> [ResetActors].

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Has it been brought up before that when you blow up the Brotherhood airship in FO4 all the kids on board die? I don't think any of the other factions have any children.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Has it been brought up before that when you blow up the Brotherhood airship in FO4 all the kids on board die? I don't think any of the other factions have any children.

theyre immortal

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

cheesetriangles posted:

Getting the fash while they're still young, smart

Just like blowing up Hidden Valley in FNV which is also the correct choice :colbert:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm more saddened by the death of the head scribe's cat, honestly. The kids knew what they signed up for, kitty didn't sign on for that. :smith:

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

i flunked out posted:

If you transfer over to steam, you wont get any of your other account's atom points, or fallout 1st. The purchases themselves should transfer over, like you can still make clothes you bought on the atom store, but you wont have your private world.

It'll transfer over exactly how Destiny 2 went from Battlenet to Steam, minus any entitlements (Atoms/1st), you only keep your inventory and plans etc. I'm waiting to see what other people have happen before if/when I do this, but my taxes come in the week of the expansion ... so I have to decide now how stupid i want to be.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm more saddened by the death of the head scribe's cat, honestly. The kids knew what they signed up for, kitty didn't sign on for that. :smith:

Oh god... its been a while but... oh god. One of the very few things my institute had was saving the gorillas but now I got to choose artificially created gorillas (and a possible hidden zoo of all of the worlds creatures pre-war that was never stated outright if I remember) and sending a cat to fiery death? Goddamit. Also.... that makes the Railroad the ultimate dark ending. You kill children, kittens, the manufacturer of Synths and a way to bring back pre war flora and fauna in order to save a few synths that you brainwash for the "Greater Good". Between this and the overall jingoistic oorah of prewar America are we sure this wasn't written by a closet faschi?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's disappointing that the game treats joining the Institute as an evil reprehensible thing when with you as Director, it could very easily become a force for making the Commonwealth flourish

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

It's disappointing that the game treats joining the Institute as an evil reprehensible thing when with you as Director, it could very easily become a force for making the Commonwealth flourish

Same brain worms that made them think your character chasing after a baby, or the wife being a lawyer with the same combat capabilities as soldier boy were a good idea.

Or the original ending of Fallout 3.

Hell, they could've had a bunch of quests that involve convincing/killing/exiling people that balked at the new direction of the Institute. Whole new quest hub.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"we need to blow up the institute"

actually, I'm pretty sure I can single handedly kill everyone in there, then we can take its sweet tech-

"NO WE NEED TO BLOW IT UP"

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

BMan posted:

actually, I'm pretty sure I can single handedly kill everyone in there, then we can take its sweet tech-

Dude, you just watched me arm wrestle a death claw!

"BLOW... IT... UP"

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Catpants McStabby posted:

It'll transfer over exactly how Destiny 2 went from Battlenet to Steam, minus any entitlements (Atoms/1st), you only keep your inventory and plans etc. I'm waiting to see what other people have happen before if/when I do this, but my taxes come in the week of the expansion ... so I have to decide now how stupid i want to be.

I'd wait tbh.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Same brain worms that made them think your character chasing after a baby, or the wife being a lawyer with the same combat capabilities as soldier boy were a good idea.

Or the original ending of Fallout 3.

Hell, they could've had a bunch of quests that involve convincing/killing/exiling people that balked at the new direction of the Institute. Whole new quest hub.

They could have even half assed it: Soldier origin starts with +1 st extra +15 with guns, lawyer +1 cha and extra +15 speech. Something different than what they did.

As far as endings: we have bitched about them ad nauseum but your idea is cool. I would have loved anything more. Institute has super science and a ton of long term potential but you are sacrificing the freedom of the many on the whims of Randian mad scientists. BoS has you entrusting mankind’s future to a bunch of fascists obsessed with the past and a serious us versus them mentality. The Minutemen are, on the surface, the obvious good guys but already failed once trying to save everyone. F4 could have done tons by putting some meat on the bones of what they had but... we got what we got. The Railroad still sucks if you think about it more than 5 seconds. I did like Tinker Tom and that one ex military bot they enslaved tho. I wish Bethesda didn’t suck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No matter how many Raiders and Super Mutants you kill, there are always infinitely more. No matter how many thriving settlements you establish, there are always starving scavengers who will murder you for the food in your backpack. I wish they'd made it possible to actually change the Commonwealth.

In Far Cry 3, it's actually possible to reach an endgame where you've killed all the pirates and they don't come back. The open world becomes peaceful and beautiful. I wish that could be attainable in more games.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Chamale posted:

No matter how many Raiders and Super Mutants you kill, there are always infinitely more.

This is extra stupid. The Institute was the justification for super mutants existing in the Commonwealth, yet they don't stop respawning after it's destroyed because reasons.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

i flunked out posted:

I'd wait tbh.

Hell yea. I'm not touching anything until other people do it first.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mooktastical posted:

This is extra stupid. The Institute was the justification for super mutants existing in the Commonwealth, yet they don't stop respawning after it's destroyed because reasons.

They learned how to breed

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

BMan posted:

lol i felt the same way after wiping everything out there. institute tech is no match for one guy who can make a dose of psychojet last for like 2 minutes.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

No matter how many Raiders and Super Mutants you kill, there are always infinitely more. No matter how many thriving settlements you establish, there are always starving scavengers who will murder you for the food in your backpack. I wish they'd made it possible to actually change the Commonwealth.

In Far Cry 3, it's actually possible to reach an endgame where you've killed all the pirates and they don't come back. The open world becomes peaceful and beautiful. I wish that could be attainable in more games.

It was just a small touch but I liked how Broken Steel made the occasional Aqua Pura (or whatever it was called) caravans around the wastes for FO3. Fo4 having the BoS or Institute going around and loving up everyone else after winning might have been a nice little something. Course that would mean they might have to make the vertibirds less laughable. Teleporting terminator kill team popping in Diamond City could have been fun.

ASenileAnimal posted:

lol i felt the same way after wiping everything out there. institute tech is no match for one guy who can make a dose of psychojet last for like 2 minutes.

Yeah big sore spot of fo4. First time I played I got little bits and pieces that made the Institute sound like bad a mofos. Even came across a town they nuked and was like "oh this will be cool." The first time I came across one he plinked at me with a pipe pistol while another had a lasgun. Even adding mods to up the damage and weapons it still left the whole intro tense scene as a bit goofy. Not that they care or will listen but it would have been nice of Bethesda to make them the ultimate bogeyman. Up their ability to take damage and dish it out. Make las and plasma more powerful and all weapons in general not ones you have to shoot a million times to kill someone. If everyone isn't a bullet sponge then it becomes more tense when one doesn't go down with a few shots. Ramp up the factions. Regular baddies? Kill in a shot or two and they can kill you in a shot or two. Minutemen and Talons? Wear armour so go for headshots and stuff that can penetrate combat armour. BoS? Power Armour is a beast and las and plasma turns all other kinds of armour into a joke and are essentially shiny death. Institute? Armour wearing cybords with a robotic frame carrying futuristic tech that blows everyone else out of the water. Stair step the faction's power and tie it into the narrative. Making everyone use the same lame bollocks with (maybe) a different skin was lazy. Whomever created the institute armour should be shot into space. Looked ridiculous.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the concept art of institute armor looked way cooler than the goofy stuff we got

armor pieces scaling up in size depending on the under armor always drove me nuts in FO4 and everything basically looks ridiculous unless youre wearing a vault suit or BOS uniform underneath

i guess 76 kind of side steps this by just having the "bulkier" under clothes just cosmetically cover up your armor

i agree institute gear is pretty underwhelming. the armor isnt that great visually and while the heavy set is technically the best until DLC gear good luck on getting it to drop from anything

the institute power armor concept art looked pretty great and its a shame that never got introduced, one way or another. it would be a sensible way to introduce a new type of power armor, unlike the pretty clumsy and awkward putting in of the T60 stuff

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So what happens if you just kill settlers in F4?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nothing really they get replaced by random people. You can form a settlement then run them, off to turn the place into a bandit place, you can just kill all the bandits, and put up another beacon and people will come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you take over that one beach settlement by force, the kid hangs around forever, perpetually in fear, iirc