Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You're probably already aware of this, but the Friday the 13th devs can't work on the game due to copyright shenanigans, which has pretty much killed the game.

Oh dang, that game looked fun, probably should have gotten around to trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the whole thing boils down to the writer of the original F13 movie is claiming ownership of the franchise while the producer of the first (and subsequent) movie says that the original script had basically nothing in it that is "Friday the 13th" and that the iconic stuff was added by the producer later.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Comments on the Witcher 3 on my second completionist run:

Does anyone use the heavy attack? It's far slower than your enemies and I don't think it gets any hyper-armour, so it's often interrupted.

The mini-map is reminiscent of the detective-vision from Arkham Asylum or soliton-radar from MGS1 in that it is far too useful, so you spend more time looking at the UI than you do the pretty graphics. The Arkham sequels nerfed the detective vision, the soliton radar was gone from MGSV, and the AC games that crib from the Witcher use the far less intrusive compass. I really hope Cyberpunk isn't 90% looking at the interface.

Apparently higher-leveled enemies get an artificial damage-buff which discourages you from fighting them early. This pretty much kills any interesting sequence-breaking if you don't want to spend minutes cherry-tapping foes to death. Never mind your equipment and skills, just hit the proper level and you're golden.

An open-world game like Ys VIII is laid out in that you hit every major area in a strict order governed by the story, but with a ton of content to the side. In this fashion you level up quickly but seldom past the area's boss. In Witcher 3 there's no restriction to where you go but the map gives no indication as to how strong an area's foes are. The house where you find Dandelion at Level 15 is a stone-throws from these Level 35 goons from the expansion. Maybe the map should have been divided into regions that say "Farcorners: 11-14" like in AC?

Perhaps it would have been better if there was no EXP penalty and levels just got more expensive?

The existence of the auto-apply oils mods proves it should have been in the game proper. There's no strategy to oiling your sword manually, its just a waste of time that pauses the action to no benefit.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I don't care how many crafting goodies they drop, I will not harm a capybara :mad:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

Oh dang, that game looked fun, probably should have gotten around to trying it.

It was genuinely good. Not amazing, definitely one of those games that needed to be endlessly patched and rotated through various metas, but it was really fun. The environmental design was ace and full of deep cuts for such a garbage franchise, the gameplay loop fun, and the prospective Jason X level looked really good. The kills were also sufficiently brutal, save the defenestration kill which only looked good if you threw someone out of a 2nd story floor. That Kane Hodder difference, man.

gently caress the lawsuit that got it shut down. Like loving anyone is doing anything with that IP right now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I don't care how many crafting goodies they drop, I will not harm a capybara :mad:

Sometimes you will find capybaras killed by other animals that you can loot.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

mind the walrus posted:

It was genuinely good. Not amazing, definitely one of those games that needed to be endlessly patched and rotated through various metas, but it was really fun. The environmental design was ace and full of deep cuts for such a garbage franchise, the gameplay loop fun, and the prospective Jason X level looked really good. The kills were also sufficiently brutal, save the defenestration kill which only looked good if you threw someone out of a 2nd story floor. That Kane Hodder difference, man.

gently caress the lawsuit that got it shut down. Like loving anyone is doing anything with that IP right now.

I had a friend in a city I used to live in that played this, it was really fun to watch him cause he was pretty drat good. He'd be pretty theatrical as jason, the gameplay mechanics blended well with the animations and horror vibe, it was interesting to watch him stalk people and see them literally fumble and panic. Friday the 13th is total garbage, but its iconic garbage and there's a cross section of fans that care deeply about it. Shame that the game was killed by lawyers.

I was thinking the other day that back in the day, developers strived for perfect balance as the gameplay ideal in multiplayer games, and nowadays it's about rotating metas and new maps to keep player engagement up, and to introduce powerspikes in the form of new characters and weapons that are overpowered on release. Most casuals don't care as much if things aren't perfectly balanced if changes are snappy, sometimes it's fun to recall total bullshit metas, or to capitalize on them when you can take advantage of them. As long as it's not too bullshit for too long and it kills the playerbase.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, sometimes you just want to get on a turret and go ham like Steve Buscemi in Armageddon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

To be fair on the Friday the 13th case the creator of the franchise is totally in the right and judges have found in his favor. Blame lovely contracts and producers screwing over creators and writers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought the creator said "Nah the game is cool you guys do what you want" but the devs still split?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One of my friends doesn’t really play video games but he’s a huge slasher movie buff so I had him try F13 and he was all over that poo poo. It’s a shame that the game died because it really got the whole horror movie thing perfectly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
How is Dead by Daylight in comparison to the Friday the 13th game? I know that was basically the same sort of thing, and they went hard into getting reference monsters for their villain.

I'm not into horror movies, but the level of attention both games put into cute nostalgia made me wish I was. It's the kind of love for properties you only really see from, like, Smash Bros otherwise.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dead By Daylight is smaller in every way (except playerbase and updates :v:). Also the killer can’t talk or listen in to nearby victims. So no “hey, I will ignore you for now if you rat where your teammates currently are.”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leal posted:

I thought the creator said "Nah the game is cool you guys do what you want" but the devs still split?

Yeah - in an interview he said that he never intended to stop the game being made. I think the current rights holders put the brakes on development because they weren't sure whether they'd end up benefiting the original creator.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Blasphemous and I really don't like the platforming deaths. For a game that uses Dark Souls-esque bonfires it just comes across as annoying when you miss a jump and fall into a hole.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
F13 was a really excellent simulation of a horror movie while Dead by Daylight is proof we are forsaken by God.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tsubasa I need you to raise your voice a few octaves

Edit: Tiki you too

Len has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Feb 10, 2020

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
I think it was a combimation of this thread and the "favorite things" thread that got to me, but i just bought all of the Prince of Persia and Max Payne games, and drat if its not a huge pain to try to get the older games running reliaby with proper gamepad support

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about Max Payne games with a controller. The mouse side definitely feels right, but I've grown away from left-hand keyboard controls enough that I briefly thought about looking into it.....but :effort:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crowetron posted:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1stGear posted:

F13 was a really excellent simulation of a horror movie while Dead by Daylight is proof we are forsaken by God.
Amen. F13 has some jank-rear end elements-- a properly seasoned Counselor team can literally dance in circles around Jason once you know what you're doing--but I remember audibly groaning when I tried Dead by Daylight and it was a constellation of bullshit special abilities and perks that I just could not have cared less about.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Someone please tell the developers of Dragon Quest Builders 2 that the combat is the worst part of the game and building an entire island around combat was a terrible, terrible idea that shouldn't be repeated in the (hopeful) sequel.

I came here to build cool poo poo. Stop sending endless loving waves of assholes at me. The only way to directly engage with combat is your one basic attack (or the mostly useless spin attack), enemies have a poo poo load of health, but they aren't very dangerous, so even with all my endless traps and friends and everyone having the bestest weapons ever it's a tedious affair of tapping the attack button over and over and over until you want to cry. It's so goddamn boring and if the attack wave isn't a scripted story event I don't even get the clean up crew to automatically fix my precious buildings

And oh cool you dropped me back on my home island but now to progress the story I have to make a whole new killing field full of traps that take forever to make, and I don't even have my demon buddy to kill them faster/let me do my finishing move

I wouldn't care if this wasn't an outstanding game, but I'm trying to create my verdant gay communist resort utopia and the story keeps getting in the way.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Crowetron posted:

Apparently capybara are extremely delicious

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Someone please tell the developers of Dragon Quest Builders 2 that the combat is the worst part of the game and building an entire island around combat was a terrible, terrible idea that shouldn't be repeated in the (hopeful) sequel.

I came here to build cool poo poo. Stop sending endless loving waves of assholes at me. The only way to directly engage with combat is your one basic attack (or the mostly useless spin attack), enemies have a poo poo load of health, but they aren't very dangerous, so even with all my endless traps and friends and everyone having the bestest weapons ever it's a tedious affair of tapping the attack button over and over and over until you want to cry. It's so goddamn boring and if the attack wave isn't a scripted story event I don't even get the clean up crew to automatically fix my precious buildings

And oh cool you dropped me back on my home island but now to progress the story I have to make a whole new killing field full of traps that take forever to make, and I don't even have my demon buddy to kill them faster/let me do my finishing move

I wouldn't care if this wasn't an outstanding game, but I'm trying to create my verdant gay communist resort utopia and the story keeps getting in the way.
I was intrigued when Omega Force helped with the development of 2, because combat was the worst part of the first one and I thought hey cool Dynasty Warriors combat will work perfectly well for this game, and then 2 came out and it was just... the same combat again

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about Max Payne games with a controller. The mouse side definitely feels right, but I've grown away from left-hand keyboard controls enough that I briefly thought about looking into it.....but :effort:

I would really recommend playing Max Payne on a mouse+kb. It feels way easier to have bullet time on right click and shoot dodge on the shift key. I usually play shooters on a controller these days and tried it for MP3 and none of the options really felt natural.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I played it on a PS2 and it was fine?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Blasphemous and I really don't like the platforming deaths. For a game that uses Dark Souls-esque bonfires it just comes across as annoying when you miss a jump and fall into a hole.

verb adjective

Vic has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Feb 10, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Riatsala posted:

Yep it sucked so hard. Made barely tolerable by spamming the war banner on your minions and just standing back. Rest of the game was good, I don't know why they made combat so poo poo. Maybe to emphasise that you need the power of friendship or whatever.

Also good that you could put down the item that stops enemies spawning nearby.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Next DQB game should take a page from Pikmin: you don't fight, you control minions that do. Make items to equip them, bring a bunch with you , power them up using stuff like war banner or other craftable things you've made, but if you're the only one there, you absolutely should be avoiding enemies.

So you just 'set' your party, have some sort of craftable rally stage, and use it before you leave town to get your party to leave the town and come with you, use it again to have them disperse.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Playing through Sunless Skies and I really like it, but there are a few things that annoy me.

You can dash left and right by pressing the Q and E buttons but since the game is viewed from top down the direction you go isn’t totally clear if you’re not facing up. This has led to me awkwardly dodging the wrong direction into an attack more than once.

Other non-hostile sky train captains must all be drunk because they drive like loving assholes. They swerve all over the place and have no qualms about slamming straight into you. They also have no issues in watching an eldritch horror destroying your train while doing nothing to help you, even if they are the cops.

The game is in a weird spot where there are long stretches where nothing happens but you still need to pay attention to avoid running into things or to react to an ambush.

The game also sometimes doesn’t make it clear what terrain you can fly over versus what you’ll run into. Some stuff casts a shadow but other things are too large so I need to awkwardly fire my cannons into things to see if they exist or not.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Been playing through Control after reading a bunch of good things about it last year and the main thing dragging it down is the map. The areas are mostly elaborate multi-level designs but you have to look at a flat map which has all the floors layered on top of each other with no way to switch between them. The first area is alright, but everywhere else I'm constantly fast traveling to the wrong control point because it looked like it was close to where I need to go but is actually on a different floor and doesn't connect. You kind of memorize where things actually are after a while but it stands out in a game with this much backtracking.

Also I can't understand about half of what the janitor says but it's probably my own fault for not turning on subtitles.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The subtitles won't help.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Blasphemous and everything feels like it has one stage of complexity/obfuscation more than is necessary. Everything has a stupid name because of the theme (which personally I find a bit... overblown and ridiculous?) but it makes it hard moment by moment to work out what I'm supposed to be doing with the various items and resources. The whole Guilt thing in particular is confusing.

I dunno, it's maybe not any worse than Dark Souls in that regard but it hasn't clicked yet.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

Other non-hostile sky train captains must all be drunk because they drive like loving assholes. They swerve all over the place and have no qualms about slamming straight into you. They also have no issues in watching an eldritch horror destroying your train while doing nothing to help you, even if they are the cops.

I almost complained about this in here because what the hell. I got killed once by a stupid dreadnought smashing me into the scenery after a very long and painful limp back to London and it was the only time i used the merciful reload option because gently caress you Failbetter, I'm not losing my nice shiny new train just because you decided to make every other train driver drunk.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

everything feels like it has one stage of complexity/obfuscation more than is necessary. Everything has a stupid name because of the theme (which personally I find a bit... overblown and ridiculous?) but it makes it hard moment by moment to work out what I'm supposed to be doing with the various items and resources. The whole Guilt thing in particular is confusing.

Sounds like the game is just being appropriately Catholic, this post could've just been about going to Mass for the first time

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts as a drag-down or not, but I kinda want to play Diablo 3 and I'm reasonably sure I was beelining towards some gear for some build... but gently caress if I can remember what gear I was interested in, and for what build. If I even was, and I didn't just drop the game because I'm not much of an endgame-content guy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this counts as a drag-down or not, but I kinda want to play Diablo 3 and I'm reasonably sure I was beelining towards some gear for some build... but gently caress if I can remember what gear I was interested in, and for what build. If I even was, and I didn't just drop the game because I'm not much of an endgame-content guy.

It's fine, the way to play Diablo is that you pick a class, and with some of your friends you play it to the end of the story.
If you really like the game maybe you try it with a different class.

This is also how you play MMOs. Then you get to set them down until the next big patch or expansion comes out.

Some people obsessively do silly things like 'farming' or 'endgame grinding'; these people are all very silly because instead of doing that they could just play another fun game.

e.g. in Final Fantasy 14 there's no point fighting the current endgame trials for tokens to hand in for Ronkan Armor.
Just wait a year for the next expansion to come out. They'll make all the cool armors available for the regular dungeon tokens and you can just fight each of the cool bosses once, instead of over and over!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Sounds like the game is just being appropriately Catholic, this post could've just been about going to Mass for the first time
lmao point taken

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

MisterBibs posted:

dont worry about gear and just play through it. i didnt bother with the endgame stuff much and i had alot of fun playing through the campaign. drops seem way more generous in 3 so you'll consistantly find some cool poo poo in your playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

It's fine, the way to play Diablo is that you pick a class, and with some of your friends you play it to the end of the story.
If you really like the game maybe you try it with a different class.

This is also how you play MMOs. Then you get to set them down until the next big patch or expansion comes out.

Some people obsessively do silly things like 'farming' or 'endgame grinding'; these people are all very silly because instead of doing that they could just play another fun game.

e.g. in Final Fantasy 14 there's no point fighting the current endgame trials for tokens to hand in for Ronkan Armor.
Just wait a year for the next expansion to come out. They'll make all the cool armors available for the regular dungeon tokens and you can just fight each of the cool bosses once, instead of over and over!

But it's so much fun to play games like PoE where your entire build depends on luck of the drop. Gotta farm until you get an item that has the right amount of slots, colors, and links! It's better than a game like Diablo 3 where you can just play and have fun