Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shake it off, yeah shake it off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: Equifax theft story, I am impressed at the people who can cover that with a straight face.

I mean, did people *give* all that info to Equifax to begin with?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
In other non-virus news:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-global-donkey-crisis-yes-really/

Now, I'm not going to be so crass as to make a 'You are what you eat' joke, but...

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

Also to no one's surprise all the emergency hospitals are just a shitload of beds all crammed together in open areas with no way to quarantine sections and no hygiene equipment, so they're basically a bunch of warehouses designed to make sure everyone in them gets infected.

"China built a hospital in 10 days"

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013
Building that hospital was just a relatively superfluous PR stunt given that the numbers of beds needed are prob in the hundreds of thousands. It's kinda the same as saying 'hey we have nfi about medical sciences but at least we're good with construction projects'. Which in itself is not very useful to the situation at hand because there's about 3 people in the country that has a medical degree that'll be recognised outside of that country.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why did they built a model hospital from real rear end blocks instead of just placing a whole lot of modern tents?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

"Hospital"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

"China" "built" a "hospital" in "10 days"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1227204384532000768

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Sometimes when I see this stuff I wish *desperately* that there was an account that just did American-equivalent parody of whatever the Chinese state twitter accounts did. It could be amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

LimburgLimbo posted:

Sometimes when I see this stuff I wish *desperately* that there was an account that just did American-equivalent parody of whatever the Chinese state twitter accounts did. It could be amazing.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Not sure why you'd bother shooting, the weather clearly states that it's secure.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Not sure why you'd bother shooting, the weather clearly states that it's secure.

it's mcafee weather

it will shoot back

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Why did they built a model hospital from real rear end blocks instead of just placing a whole lot of modern tents?

Words from the Shanghai grapevine is that there's kilometers of coughing and sick nongs dangling out in lines from tent cities. Been seeing a punch ons outside of "drug stores" every other insta story from the same bloke a few weeks ago too before the whole thing blew up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

I know that it's beside the point of your post and that this is highly :spergin: on my part but China is not a world superpower. Frankly it's having a hard time just being a regional power

Casually referencing the PRC as a superpower is implicitly giving the CCP more power outside China than they deserve

Doesn't China own half of Africa? Or was that just Henning Mankell's prediction.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

5000 units, 1 trashcan

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Was thinking about the Oscars, can you imagine if a movie like Parasite came out of China? Apparently people already hate The Farewell because it somehow paints an unflattering picture of China. And also because they couldn't believe a person of Chinese descent could feel alienated in China. Also Awkwafina wasn't attractive.

Anyways, just imagine if China made a good movie. How butt hurt would its citizens and government be?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ya know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPj3nf1jCY8

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Nearly all good mainland movies are about how miserable China is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stink Billyums posted:

Nearly all good mainland movies are about how miserable China is. Journey to the West

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Stink Billyums posted:

Nearly all good mainland movies are about how miserable China is.

Whoops. I guess I meant under Xi. And by directors who work/live in China. Does Zhang Yimou live there?

I actually remember in the mid 90's my parents going to the foreign theater in Ohio to watch Raise the Red Lantern.

Also in my googling I found this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_submissions_for_the_Academy_Award_for_Best_International_Feature_Film

2002 was the last nomination. Wolf Warrior 2 submitted in 2017.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nearly all good mainland movies are about Journey to the West.

Xuanzang in 2016. Man the recent submissions are DIRE.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 11, 2020

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't China own half of Africa? Or was that just Henning Mankell's prediction.

Everybody owns half of Africa.

China has been swinging for the fences with neo-colonization.

fatherboxx posted:

So they can convert them to additional space for the Strategic Pork Reserve.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I remember China making a movie about prescription drug smugglers that actually did well and it sounded like that was the most subversive (yet successful) thing that had been allowed in recent memory

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bamhand posted:

Was thinking about the Oscars, can you imagine if a movie like Parasite came out of China? Apparently people already hate The Farewell because it somehow paints an unflattering picture of China. And also because they couldn't believe a person of Chinese descent could feel alienated in China. Also Awkwafina wasn't attractive.

Anyways, just imagine if China made a good movie. How butt hurt would its citizens and government be?

There are Chinese movies with social messages that are critical of modern Chinese society, and they're pretty popular. They avoid the clear obvious government stuff, but so did Parasite. You just probably don't see them because they don't get released outside of China.

I feel like the Chinese version of 来电狂响 was very specifically designed to make a statement about Chinese life that the original (I think it was a remake of an Italian movie? I never saw the original, but I just know half of it wouldn't make sense if it was entirely the same) didn't. I thought it was a decent movie, too. And 我不是药神 was incredibly popular, that one ever did get press outside of China.

I could probably think of a few more if I had to, I've seen a lot of Chinese movies. They're not as good as Parasite but not many movies ever are.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you think the hate for The Farewell is anger at what they perceive to be "the west" judging them?

Also why is Wolf Warrior 2 submitted for an Oscar but not ... any other movie?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 28, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bamhand posted:

Do you think the hate for The Farewell is anger at what they perceive to be "the west" judging them?

that was their best foot forward for that year

which is funny because it's basically straight to video trash

at least Yimou put on a giant spectacle

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bamhand posted:

Man the oscars are a joke, it's like almost a hundred years of "not actually best movies getting awards for being the best movies"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

5000 years of oscar snubs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Ip Man is real, and powerful, and demonstrates the complete and utter strength of the CHinese people

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Love that they said he fled to Hong Kong to escape the Japanese when he was actually running away from the commies. Also just abandoning his wife mainland forever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Play posted:

Ip Man is real, and powerful, and my friend

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ip man was a dope addict and really not a great teacher

(source, my wing chun teacher)

good movie tho

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Intellectual Property Man. A new hero for the modern world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shumagorath posted:

Pregnant Pangolin

Man, these Metal Gear characters have gotten even stranger since they fired Kojima.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
congratulations on china #1 status

quote:

WHO chief says coronavirus outbreak is 'public enemy No. 1'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-deaths-who-1.5459237

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I took my boyfriend to Shen Yun because he likes Chinese art and everything was really good until it very suddenly wasn't.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Clawtopsy posted:

I took my boyfriend to Shen Yun because he likes Chinese art and everything was really good until it very suddenly wasn't.

C'mon, you can't just tease us with this.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think it can be summarized as "Oh, cool ballet. This is pretty. Why are is the topic now evolution being evil? Oh no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

C'mon, you can't just tease us with this.

It’s like the art museum scene from Ferris buellers day off but Ferris morphs into Cameron when he’s sitting on the bench with the chick. :smug: