Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Check the date/time set on your 3GS. I think I got an ancient device onto the App Store a while ago.

IOS10 will definitely work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also if the Goon who made Dungeon Raid is still around - I’d gladly pay another $5 for a 64 bit version, k thnx in advance.

EDIT: poo poo now I want to play Dungeon Raid. If I find an old 5 or 5c with iOS 10 on it, I can still connect to the App Store right? I just tried charging my iPhone 3GS and it doesn't look iOS 6 connects to the App Store anymore.

People in the iOS Games thread are playing Troll Patrol. Different dev, almost the same game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

There needs to be some clarity about exactly how long something will supported and what you are buying into then.

If a game comes out for PS3, I can reasonably expect I may have to pay for it again if it is ported to PS4. Because it's been made clear that it is a different platform. With iOS you have no idea if something will work for a month or 10 years. There needs to be some sort of expectation of quality control which Apple seems to have zero.

:lmao:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

People in the iOS Games thread are playing Troll Patrol. Different dev, almost the same game.

It feels so familiar while also looking so weird. I definitely miss the old school pixel game design over this pseudo Flash game look, but at the same time it's nearly Dungeon Raid. Thanks.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

It feels so familiar while also looking so weird. I definitely miss the old school pixel game design over this pseudo Flash game look, but at the same time it's nearly Dungeon Raid. Thanks.

You can change the graphics to be Dungeon Raid style in the settings.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I'm sure there's a term for the sort of thing I'm trying to do, but damned if I know what it is.

I've got some repetitive tasks coming up and I'm wondering if there's an app that'll let me create a sort of form that's a combo check list, text entry, numerical entry type of thing. IE I have to enter a name on one line (like Name:_______) and a date on another line, and a price here, some quantities, some more text descriptions, another few lines of numbers and have stuff add up, or show a percentage based on some of the entries.

I feel like this should be a known task for someone and someone might have made "an app for that" but like I said, I'm blanking on what that'd be called.

Edit: For the iPad, preferable, and able to export the filled form as a pdf would be ideal.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Maybe Airtable?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What exactly is making you laugh your rear end off here?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm sure there's a term for the sort of thing I'm trying to do, but damned if I know what it is.

I've got some repetitive tasks coming up and I'm wondering if there's an app that'll let me create a sort of form that's a combo check list, text entry, numerical entry type of thing. IE I have to enter a name on one line (like Name:_______) and a date on another line, and a price here, some quantities, some more text descriptions, another few lines of numbers and have stuff add up, or show a percentage based on some of the entries.

I feel like this should be a known task for someone and someone might have made "an app for that" but like I said, I'm blanking on what that'd be called.

Edit: For the iPad, preferable, and able to export the filled form as a pdf would be ideal.

This is a spreadsheet. You can do this in Numbers.

You create the sheet and if you want to be advanced, you can make it act like a form on mobile.

But even if you don't, tapping on cells will give you different keyboards depending on the data type you have set the cell. For our joint budget, my wife and I have an iCloud shared spreadsheet. On the phone I tap and put in the item (text keyboard), then the date (keyboard is a number entry screen with buttons for "Today" etc), then the price (a number pad), then the category (a custom drop down list that we created).

Once you've got the data, you have the full range of calculations and formulas available to you.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Apple's quality control is spot on. They deliberately meant to break the app and require a change to fix it. Whether that was the 32bit->64bit transition, non-retina->retina, or iPhone5->iPhone 6 sizes. All of those were deliberate choices made by Apple to break compatibility. Some of these Apple can give you the heads up if you are always on the latest iOS like the 32->64 bit transition, right before the iOS version that was dropping 32bit app support Apple would tell you when you launched an app it will break. Sometimes people found out when the upgrade their OS or phone.

In the grand scheme of this you can't expect to pay once and have an application supported forever. The publisher of the app already has your money. You either need to continue to be a customer via IAP (loot boxes) or subscriptions. Where you are or could generate money for the developer. Even then the customer base has to be enough to make the ROI on spending time fixing the app viable. I guess you could expect this but that means not getting new phones or new iOS versions.

If you don't follow this poo poo closely then I would consider every new phone or every new major iOS version a breaking change for every application. Does this mean every application is going to break? No. However, it means there's a good chance that an application could break. If the application you are using has a healthy customer base that is generating the publisher money it'll probably get fixed. If it's been sitting in the iOS store for 3 years without an update it might break in the next version of iOS.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I didn't self-promote this when I made it, but just on the off chance that it happens to be what you want, I made an app (basically just for my fiancé) that might be close to what you want. It allows you to import/set up a list of products and customers, then really quickly construct orders (with quantities and prices) and export as a PDF. Order Book.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
X-posting from the iPad thread.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

TraderStav posted:

X-posting from the iPad thread.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

I posted a longer response there, but ForScore! PM if you have any specific questions :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

veni veni veni posted:

There needs to be some sort of expectation of quality control which Apple seems to have zero.

Expecting any kind of quality control from Apple these days. And I say that as someone balls deep in the "Apple Ecosystem".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Froist posted:

I didn't self-promote this when I made it, but just on the off chance that it happens to be what you want, I made an app (basically just for my fiancé) that might be close to what you want. It allows you to import/set up a list of products and customers, then really quickly construct orders (with quantities and prices) and export as a PDF. Order Book.

Just wanna say creating an app and getting it into the fuggin' app store for your fiancee is some next level boyfriend behavior, grats

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Just wanna say creating an app and getting it into the fuggin' app store for your fiancee is some next level boyfriend behavior, grats

Yeah but he also charged her $3 for it

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nah it’s free but has custom banner ads.

“Fresh Cookies! Because, doesn’t he deserve it?”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, knowing what it takes to register a business entity and tax ID and maintain it year over year and keep renewing your Apple Developer ID and all that poo poo ...

That's commitment

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I mean, knowing what it takes to register a business entity and tax ID and maintain it year over year and keep renewing your Apple Developer ID and all that poo poo ...

That's commitment

You don't have to register as a business entity if you're just one person selling an app.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh.

Well then never mind

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

doingitwrong posted:

This is a spreadsheet. You can do this in Numbers.

Well, that's convenient! Thank you, I'll dig into this free app I already have and never use because numbers are a conundrum to me.

Froist posted:

Thank you as well! I'll take a peek at this too.

Appreciate the help, y'all.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Thanks! It was fun to work through the process together, even if it was partly to prove the 1% vs 99% effort split between "I have an idea for an app" and "making an app".

Weedle posted:

Yeah but he also charged her $3 for it

It would've been a lot easier all round for her to just give me the £3, than pay 20% tax and then give 30% of what's left to Apple..

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait, Apple's tax is before taxes? That's just mean.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Of course it is.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know how to turn iOS calendar notificaitons off for a specific calendar?

Now that I have entered my personal calendar through Fantastical directly I shouldn't need to have it send notifications through the stock app. I've tried turning it off in the stock calendar app but it still triggers notifications. I still want my work Exchange calendar to send notifications through the stock app though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not really sure how Apple could take their 30% of whatever you have left over after tax unless they did your taxes for you. (And if it’s 30% of the store price, you’d rather pay it pre-tax anyway.)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kalman posted:

Not really sure how Apple could take their 30% of whatever you have left over after tax unless they did your taxes for you. (And if it’s 30% of the store price, you’d rather pay it pre-tax anyway.)

Actually I (the dev) was referring to sales tax rather than income tax.

In the UK, the app is listed on the App Store at £2.99. 20% of that is VAT, leaving £2.39, then 30% of what remains goes to Apple. Meaning my “paycheck” from Apple comes out at £1.67 per £2.99 sale.

If I was doing things by the book I’d then pay income tax on that. But given I’ve sold a total of 6 units amounting to £10, I don’t think I’ll be high on any fraud lists for not bothering.

That’s made me wonder - as you guys in the US are used to seeing shelf prices in shops without tax (and then adding it on at the register), how does the App Store sit with that? Do you actually pay more than the App Store displays (like for physical goods in shops, which is a bizarre concept as a European)? Or does Apple handle it behind the scenes, so you pay the same regardless of where you buy, but the dev just gets a smaller slice if you buy the app in a state that has sales tax on digital goods?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
We pay more. I recently bought a $4.99 app and my total was $5.34.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, okay. So since VAT is the same regardless of where you live in the UK it's baked into the price. What might have been a $2 app is sold as $3, VAT is taken out, Apple gets their 30%, and then you're taxed on the remaining balance? I thought you meant you got taxed on the sale price and then gave Apple their 30%.

Yeah, we had a revolution to get away from that. Now we have a much simpler system where your sales tax differs by state, county, city, calendar month, and type of purchase.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh, okay. So since VAT is the same regardless of where you live in the UK it's baked into the price. What might have been a $2 app is sold as $3, VAT is taken out, Apple gets their 30%, and then you're taxed on the remaining balance? I thought you meant you got taxed on the sale price and then gave Apple their 30%.

Apple keeps their 30% and gives the rest to you. Wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to pay you money and then immediately demand that you pay a portion back to them.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Apple will also keep the VAT since they are the ones paying it and not the developer.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A growing number of sites are blocking my ad blocker and demanding to be whitelisted, which would completely defeat the purpose.

Anyone know of a decent ad blocker that's able to block these whitelist demands?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

A growing number of sites are blocking my ad blocker and demanding to be whitelisted, which would completely defeat the purpose.

Anyone know of a decent ad blocker that's able to block these whitelist demands?

They seem to be conquered by DNS-level blockers like pihole. I use 1Blocker in safari and pihole on the whole network. When they give me the whitelist nag, I whitelist in 1Blocker and the pihole still blocks most of the ads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My approach to those kinds of sites is to stop visiting them. There isn't any content on the internet so exclusive that I can't find what I want somewhere else.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

My approach to those kinds of sites is to stop visiting them. There isn't any content on the internet so exclusive that I can't find what I want somewhere else.

Yeah, adblock-blockers are decidedly user hostile. I have yet to see a situation where a site pleads to turn ads off, then you do so and the site isn't completely plastered in ads and trying to hijack your clicks or some stupid bullshit.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I just use Safari's Reader View when faced with the whitelist demands.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

xzzy posted:

Yup, this is exactly what I’ve been doing too.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Can someone explain why the Music app does this? Tags are correct and obviously when the track plays the actual song title appears (see bottom).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Getting the exact same thing on the latest (non-beta) iOS and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Welcome to my world. I’ve had this problem for years.