Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
but he will release sweeping balance changes a month later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Impermanent posted:

stegmeier's magnum opus is going to be WAR: Legacy. both players draw a card, the high card wins, both cards are thrown into a fire place. now future games are irrevocably changed in this powerful legacy card game.

Wow, its the best game Ive ever kickstarted! 10/10 on bgg

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

stegmeier's magnum opus is going to be WAR: Legacy. both players draw a card, the high card wins, both cards are thrown into a fire place. now future games are irrevocably changed in this powerful legacy card game.

That’s just Friedman Friese’s Fortress.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Stretch goal: 13 different minatures for each of 4 factions

E: stretch goal 2: two wild minatures that can join any faction!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Y’all joke but if the oatmeal illustrated this with kittens the Kickstarter would make over $5 million in the first week

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Y’all joke but if the oatmeal illustrated this with kittens the Kickstarter would make over $5 million in the first week

Look, I'm not saying that in itself is bad, but what if the game the art is attached to was a good 18xx? Would love to see a multimillion dollar xx that had drawings of cats on the tiles. Make it 1860 and call it Isle of Cats

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is Princes of the Renaissance?

It is on sale for 12 bucks in a German online shop and I'm thinking about getting it for that price...

But is it any good?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I played Undaunted normandy at the weekend. It's the first proper card game of its kind (deck building a bit, war, traversing maps) that I've played, and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the nazis won the first encounter but I'm looking forward to playing more. Are there games like that with a sort of gentle scaling for multiple players (well, 3 maybe)?

It doesn't have to be tied to a wargame theme but I think the cards laid out gave a good geographic indication of what was happening where, which I think was useful. I'm the primary board game interest person in my group, but I'm also completely new to it, so something with an easy learning curve that is also the best game ever would be nice.

I think the lads want conflict more than they do a sort of Euro building. And a bit of randomness is ok. We've been playing Wits and Wagers, Skull, Cockroach poker, Time's up Title Recall and things like that for a while so I want to move things to the next level (NOTHING SEXUAL).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Von Linus posted:

I played Undaunted normandy at the weekend. It's the first proper card game of its kind (deck building a bit, war, traversing maps) that I've played, and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the nazis won the first encounter but I'm looking forward to playing more. Are there games like that with a sort of gentle scaling for multiple players (well, 3 maybe)?

It doesn't have to be tied to a wargame theme but I think the cards laid out gave a good geographic indication of what was happening where, which I think was useful. I'm the primary board game interest person in my group, but I'm also completely new to it, so something with an easy learning curve that is also the best game ever would be nice.

I think the lads want conflict more than they do a sort of Euro building. And a bit of randomness is ok. We've been playing Wits and Wagers, Skull, Cockroach poker, Time's up Title Recall and things like that for a while so I want to move things to the next level (NOTHING SEXUAL).

How about Inis though that might be a bit of a daunting jump up. There's Adrenaline which a boardgame of an FPS, it's pretty fast and fun.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I found Adrenaline to be neither fast, nor fun. But if you must play it, keep the player count low (despite deathmatches in reality benefiting from more players) to keep the pace up.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Aramoro posted:

How about Inis though that might be a bit of a daunting jump up. There's Adrenaline which a boardgame of an FPS, it's pretty fast and fun.

I might give Inis a go, we're in Ireland so it could be a way in. Thanks!

I saw Adrenaline before and it didn't really appeal to me. I do like FPSs but I think one in a card game would be a hard sell.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

just think about how much money Gloomhaven Unicorns would make.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Going to try Sekigahara later this week. Any common mistakes for that game?

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

just think about how much money Gloomhaven Unicorns would make.

Exploding Encounter On the Hill of Humanityopoly

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Max posted:

Remember to draw cards after a battle. 1 for every card played and 1 for every 2 blocks lost. We forgot at first and wondered why we couldn't really do anything. Could also be useful when you initiate a small fight to maybe draw the needed cards for a more important battle later on in the same turn.

Movement points are calculated at activation, so dropping pieces of along the way and making a stack smaller doesn't increase your movement. But moving fewer blocks from a stack at the beginning can increase movement. I think you can also split a stack and have them move along different routes. And remember that no route can be used twice in the same turn.

I think that were things we didn't play correct but the rest is pretty straight forward.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Max posted:

Don’t be aggressive unless you know you can win or your opponent will believe the bluff. A single battle can swing the game if you invest to much. Make sure you understand recruiting and placement of new blocks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a game of base Root last night which, holy poo poo, sucked so bad. I was the birds, and from my first turn I was hosed. Tried to move into a clearing to fight and build, got ambushed, lost all my guys, couldn't build, turmoil. Next turn, recruited, moved, fought, ambushed again, didn't have rule, couldn't build, turmoil. Next turn, couldn't recruit since I didn't have the cards, basically moved my guys back and forth. Turn after that I went into turmoil because up to this point I had drawn almost all mouse cards (and a single fox) and there was nothing I could do. 3 player game, cats won because I was simply out of the game the entire goddamn time, and while the Alliance was attempting to fight back, he was basically running around unopposed with some good battle cards while I drew mouse after mouse, mostly cards to craft items (or the ones that let you see your opponents hand).

Was the most loving unfun I've ever had with the game and was happy when it ended in domination. I've never gone through my entire deck of leaders before. I built a single extra roost except every point I got from it was wiped away by turmoil after turmoil. Really feel like it's soured my mood on the game for a while.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Don’t be aggressive unless you know you can win or your opponent will believe the bluff. A single battle can swing the game if you invest to much. Make sure you understand recruiting and placement of new blocks.

Selecta84 posted:

Remember to draw cards after a battle. 1 for every card played and 1 for every 2 blocks lost. We forgot at first and wondered why we couldn't really do anything. Could also be useful when you initiate a small fight to maybe draw the needed cards for a more important battle later on in the same turn.

Movement points are calculated at activation, so dropping pieces of along the way and making a stack smaller doesn't increase your movement. But moving fewer blocks from a stack at the beginning can increase movement. I think you can also split a stack and have them move along different routes. And remember that no route can be used twice in the same turn.

I think that were things we didn't play correct but the rest is pretty straight forward.

All good points! I feel like I have an OK grasp on those things, the only thing that seems elusive to me is when pieces move into castles, but I'll probably understand that better once we play it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Max posted:

All good points! I feel like I have an OK grasp on those things, the only thing that seems elusive to me is when pieces move into castles, but I'll probably understand that better once we play it.

I think it's just when there would be a battle at a castle location the defender can choose to stay in the castle, forcing a siege, when he has 2 or less blocks. If he has more then the battle must be fought outside.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Selecta84 posted:

I think it's just when there would be a battle at a castle location the defender can choose to stay in the castle, forcing a siege, when he has 2 or less blocks. If he has more then the battle must be fought outside.

And retreating pieces can go over the castle limit for just that turn?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Max posted:

And retreating pieces can go over the castle limit for just that turn?

Just looked it up in the rulebook and the limit during a retreat is still 2. Any additional blocks must retreat to another location.

"If a castle is a valid retreat destination, the retreating player may leave up to two blocks in it. If there are more blocks remaining, these must retreat
elsewhere, as a group."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I guess this is the part that is tripping me up, from 8.8.5

"It is possible for a retreating force to join a besieged force inside a castle and exceed, until the next time combat is declared, the stacking limit of the castle (see 8.9.6)."

If I'm reading that right, the only time it can be exceeded is if they retreat into another pending siege?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Played a game of base Root last night which, holy poo poo, sucked so bad. I was the birds, and from my first turn I was hosed. Tried to move into a clearing to fight and build, got ambushed, lost all my guys, couldn't build, turmoil.

So you started with move, battle, and build; moved only 5 warriors into a clearing that somehow had 3 cats; got ambushed; then rolled 3-3? Even if you made all those bad decisions, it sounds like there was a rules error somewhere.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you know you win ties for rulership, yea? you could have moved and not battled and just built unless you started with one of the rulers that forces a battle.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Max posted:

I guess this is the part that is tripping me up, from 8.8.5

"It is possible for a retreating force to join a besieged force inside a castle and exceed, until the next time combat is declared, the stacking limit of the castle (see 8.9.6)."

If I'm reading that right, the only time it can be exceeded is if they retreat into another pending siege?

Seems right. If the battle at a castle has already been finished no more battles are declared at that location. So blocks retreating into that location join the besieged blocks, exceeding the stacking limit. As soon as another battle is declared at that spot, the blocks must fight outside cause more then 2 blocks are present.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

but he will release sweeping balance changes a month later

His latest transgression is ordering too few copies of the current printing Wingspan to send to distributors because he fat fingered a digit. So he will keep the copies to sell at MSRP on his website instead, unless you buy an entire pallet case...

My wife really wants this game, but Jaime certainly isn’t making the consumers life easy at this point.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 11, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Selecta84 posted:

Seems right. If the battle at a castle has already been finished no more battles are declared at that location. So blocks retreating into that location join the besieged blocks, exceeding the stacking limit. As soon as another battle is declared at that spot, the blocks must fight outside cause more then 2 blocks are present.

Excellent, that helps. Thanks again!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

His latest transgression is ordering too few copies of the current printing Wingspan to send to distributors because he fat fingered a digit. So he will keep the copies to sell at MSRP on his website instead, unless you buy an entire pallet...

My wife really wants this game, but Jaime certainly isn’t making the consumers life easy at this point.

Can you link me to any of the ten blog posts he’s written about why the keyboard is to blame?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Impermanent posted:

you know you win ties for rulership, yea? you could have moved and not battled and just built unless you started with one of the rulers that forces a battle.

I did, the Commander (move and battle). Figured I could get a clearing in my first turn, throw down a roost, nope.

I moved three birds, got ambushed, rolled..something, like 2/2, basically emptied the clearing of all warriors.

CaptainRightful posted:

So you started with move, battle, and build; moved only 5 warriors into a clearing that somehow had 3 cats; got ambushed; then rolled 3-3? Even if you made all those bad decisions, it sounds like there was a rules error somewhere.

Was keeping warriors behind to move into another clearing to attack those guys, ended up being the only ones I had left.

Incidentally the only roost I built was without any battles.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

djfooboo posted:

His latest transgression is ordering too few copies of the current printing Wingspan to send to distributors because he fat fingered a digit. So he will keep the copies to sell at MSRP on his website instead, unless you buy an entire pallet...

Link?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

As Impermanent said, you don't need to battle to build, just be tied for rule. I would never make a decree of move/battle/build before I had any ability to recruit. If you do pick battle straight away, you need to guarantee a win.

Picking Battle before Recruit means you will almost certainly lose warriors faster than you can replace them. Even if you get lucky enough to double recruit on your second turn, you'll have to roll at least 1 zero and 1 one during those 2 battles just to have a net positive number.

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2020

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

https://stonemaiergames.com/when-does-it-make-sense-to-sell-directly-instead-of-through-distribution/

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2364108/why-wont-be-available-your-flgs

Seems he is selling cases, not pallets to retailers. My B.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

As Impermanent said, you don't need to battle to build, just be tied for rule. I would never make a decree of move/battle/build before I had any ability to recruit. If you do pick battle straight away, you need to guarantee a win.

Well, there's really only so many options available to you when all you've got is mouse cards.

I suppose a move+build leader would've worked, somewhat, except that with only mouse cards I would've been screwed anyway since I would've needed to throw all of them into recruit, or just spread around thin. Also the cat guy was just attacking my roosts whenever he could, playing cards to help, as he had built a recruiting station near a couple.

I mean this is all hindsight - sure, if I had known I was only drawing mouse cards, or that my opponent was given three ambush cards in the course of two turns, yes I would've done things differently.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I like that he's blatantly trying to cut Alliance out of a distribution deal, as though that couldn't possibly backfire in any way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Played our second game of Root Underworld last night and I tried the moles (vs cats and corvids). They are like a mix of the cats and eyrie and I really like their actione economy. The ministers your sway give you a lot of options for playstyle but just like the eyrie they can crash down and lose their bonus actions and scoring capabilities. They're definitely a more advanced faction, but if anyone has played the base game they'd be fine.

The corvids are also great, adding a really good bluffing element to the map and spreading tension everywhere thanks to their plots. They're very simple to play and add very little rules overhead for others to deal with while still being a big presence, and they can pop up all over the place thanks to their recruit action being so good. Corvids are a great choice for new players.

We liked the new maps too, since the objectives (raft and tower/blocked paths) make the map more consequential and help the game flow by adding scoring opportunities and card draw. The new deck is much more interesting so far too. The crafting, ambush, and dominance cards are mostly unchanged, but the action cards are much more varied in their effects, letting you collect any dead meeples for points each round, exhaust items to move or fight a la the vagabond, etc.

Overall I'm really impressed with the Underworld expansion, and I went in feeling a little hesitant about what all could be added to the game but the factions, maps, and cards are all winners. I have a few games scheduled at a small local con next weekend and look forward to mixing these in with the otters, lizards, and more.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 11, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jamie, do you think it’s a good idea for you to tell customers you’re getting a product before you’re actually guaranteed to get it?

Jamey, do you think it’s a good idea for you to tell customers you’re getting a product before you’re actually guaranteed to get it?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

Jamie, do you think it’s a good idea for you to tell customers you’re getting a product before you’re actually guaranteed to get it?

Jamey, do you think it’s a good idea for you to tell customers you’re getting a product before you’re actually guaranteed to get it?

Is it observation bias or is SM doing something different than every other company with regard to supply chains? Why is it always them that seems to have distribution issues. Is it over-promising and under-delivering? I get that they aren't part of the Asmodee behemoth but how do snafus involving distribution happen so frequently with them? I'm not even trying to be snarky here, just in case the tone of my post isn't conveyed well, I'm just genuinely curious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Is it observation bias or is SM doing something different than every other company with regard to supply chains? Why is it always them that seems to have distribution issues. Is it over-promising and under-delivering? I get that they aren't part of the Asmodee behemoth but how do snafus involving distribution happen so frequently with them? I'm not even trying to be snarky here, just in case the tone of my post isn't conveyed well, I'm just genuinely curious.

Jamey is a micromanaging egomaniac that spends far too much time defending himself online as opposed to running his business. When I looked over one of the last dramas he self-induced he had written tons of long replies on his blog going from 8 am till like 11 pm that night, one every few minutes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Casnorf posted:

I like that he's blatantly trying to cut Alliance out of a distribution deal, as though that couldn't possibly backfire in any way.

Board game distribution is in a huge state of flux right now, probably attributable to Kickstarter's success. They need publishers more than publishers may need them. Especially Stonemaier. They don't want to do what he says, he goes back to KS. They know it and he knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I suppose a move+build leader would've worked, somewhat, except that with only mouse cards I would've been screwed anyway since I would've needed to throw all of them into recruit, or just spread around thin.

I don't mean to be beating a dead horse, I'm honestly trying to give helpful tips. So I'll just add that Move is the dump stat for Birds. You can move back and forth to satisfy the decree, or move 1 warrior at a time into the same target clearing. In the worst case scenario where your opening hand is 3 mice and you draw another mouse card every turn for 2 or 3 turns in a row, you can at least double play into Move and Recruit to build up a decent board presence before deliberately going into turmoil when the VP penalty doesn't matter.