Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Do you guys know where I could get hold of a Red Army surplus overcoat or preferably a greatcoat? I am only coming up with Bulgarian ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/rlong_bailey/status/1227230364961210368?s=21

Nice.

She also hit the government on the deportation flights:

https://twitter.com/rlong_bailey/status/1227183329927221248?s=21

Meanwhile, I've seen precious little from Starmer on any actual, substantive issues. This is what I'm talking about with moral leadership - one frontrunner's providing it, one isn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I prefer them to most ales.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

marktheando posted:

I've said this before ITT but my dad was given corporal punishment for speaking in Scots in school. Not sure what exact amount of oppression is required for independence movements to be acceptable to the UKMT. I was under the impression that doing the whole 'oppression olympics' thing where you say 'oh group X is not as oppressed as group Y, they should shut up' was not cool.

My mum got the tawse at school for sitting in a row that the teacher decided to punish at random, I'm not sure that's an argument for Scottish independence as it is against corporal punishment.

Not to mention that corporal punishment hasn't been a thing in schools for 4+ decades so not sure this logic works even on it's own flawed terms.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 11, 2020

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

forkboy84 posted:

Wait? So what are English speakers meant to call people who live in Wales?

me posted:

You guys should legit start using the word Cymry instead of Welsh tho when referring to a Welsh person

Partly because its easier and quicker to type, partly because its our word for ourselves, not based on a Saxon slur and partly because it basically means 'comrade'.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I will happily do this so long as you assure me that it’s completely replacing of the word Welsh in all manners of syntax because I’d rather not look like a dumbass for using it.

Also if welsh is a Saxon slur, why hasn’t there been more work to fix that from within Wales? Is wales also a slur? I’m not being facetious here, I legit don’t know this poo poo and I’m curious

That's why I'm asking y'all now. Over the past couple years or so (basically since the Brexit vote brought a bunch of folk into the movement) there's been a bit of an effort to effect some sort of change regarding it. Like yeah if you call a Cymry a Cymry irl most of them (especially English-speakers) won't know what you're on about. Because we've been 'Welsh' for about 1500 years now. But there's a lot of people trying to enact some small positive change here and I feel that's kind of valuable, right? Language effects the way we think, so if we're calling ourselves foreigners, we'll always be suffering the (cultural) low self-esteem and self-hatred common to colonised peoples.

So basically, you ARE gonna look like a dumbass when you use it regardless, but that's okay because then people will ask what you mean, and you'll be able to enlighten them. :) And then you'll look clever.

Cymry basically means 'fellow countryman' or 'member of the community' or 'comrade', pick your poison. 'Cymro' is more traditional but it carries a male-gendered connotation (Welshman) whereas Cymry is gender-neutral.

Wales means 'land of the foreigners' which is pretty bloody typical. The Saxons come over 'ere, raid our shores, burn our churches, gently caress our sheep, and within years they're complaining about the foreigners. The more things change, eh?

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't doubt that you've experienced people being bigoted towards you because you're Welsh, what I'm saying is that this is not racism because there is no institutionalised discrimination towards you. English Northerners experience the exact same kind of low level poo poo, but the only time it translates into anything more is via classism. There are plenty of very powerful, successful Welsh people enthusiastically embraced within the British elite.

And I'm saying you have no idea what you're on about so you should probably stop posting before you embarrass yourself further.

forkboy84 posted:

My mum got the tawse at school for sitting in a row that the teacher decided to punish at random, I'm not sure that's an argument for Scottish independence as it is against corporal punishment.

Holy poo poo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Collateral posted:

Do you guys know where I could get hold of a Red Army surplus overcoat or preferably a greatcoat? I am only coming up with Bulgarian ones.

Maybe something suitable here? https://www.sovietmilitarystuff.com/soviet-uniforms/russian-coats

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Collateral posted:

Belarus. They have tons of them in warehouses. They may or may not be soaked in formaldehyde though, so they'll be in great condition but unpack them outside.

They come up on ebay now and again from sellers like oldschool-by.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Saith posted:

That's why I'm asking y'all now. Over the past couple years or so (basically since the Brexit vote brought a bunch of folk into the movement) there's been a bit of an effort to effect some sort of change regarding it. Like yeah if you call a Cymry a Cymry irl most of them (especially English-speakers) won't know what you're on about. Because we've been 'Welsh' for about 1500 years now. But there's a lot of people trying to enact some small positive change here and I feel that's kind of valuable, right? Language effects the way we think, so if we're calling ourselves foreigners, we'll always be suffering the (cultural) low self-esteem and self-hatred common to colonised peoples.

So basically, you ARE gonna look like a dumbass when you use it regardless, but that's okay because then people will ask what you mean, and you'll be able to enlighten them. :) And then you'll look clever.

Cymry basically means 'fellow countryman' or 'member of the community' or 'comrade', pick your poison. 'Cymro' is more traditional but it carries a male-gendered connotation (Welshman) whereas Cymry is gender-neutral.

Is the 'y' pronouced like an 'a' in english? So like 'camra'?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

forkboy84 posted:

Eskimos, or Inuits if you want to be "politically correct"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wow, someone sure pissed in Owain Glyndŵr over here's cornflakes this morning

E: I'm being rude, but honestly what specifically is worse in the life of joe nobody from swansea, by comparison to the equivalent in merseyside? Yes, Welsh - or Cymru if you prefer, fair enough - culture was historically oppressed, but today you can't say that's the case, surely? There's bilingual everything, cultural revival efforts etc etc. The shite material things you describe are surely experienced across the UK regardless of nation, though yes, probably less so in (southern) England on account of economic centralisation.

I'm very much up on this from the Scottish perspective having lived there for most of my life and I even voted independence, but to say that there's capital R racism towards scots in the UK today is a bit of a stretch

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 11, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

marktheando posted:

I've said this before ITT but my dad was given corporal punishment for speaking in Scots in school. Not sure what exact amount of oppression is required for independence movements to be acceptable to the UKMT. I was under the impression that doing the whole 'oppression olympics' thing where you say 'oh group X is not as oppressed as group Y, they should shut up' was not cool.

Maybe, but I'm sure London house prices being allowed to continue to get higher and higher is a big reason Bojo and friends are in favour of it.

Plus a chance to get their chums construction firms some bloated contracts that are too big to fail.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Forums making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? Had to refresh this page three times for it to load.

forkboy84 posted:

Not to mention that corporal punishment hasn't been a thing in schools for 4+ decades so not sure this logic works even on it's own flawed terms.

My point is that the deliberate suppression of the Scots language is within living memory. It's not some far off thing. I was raised by someone who dealt with that poo poo. Sure things are better now but the attitudes persist. Like someone will probably reply to this saying Scots is a dialect and not a language.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm communist, I don't see "nationality" :smug:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

forkboy84 posted:

Brits

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm communist, I don't see "nationality" :smug:

Your ice pick is en route.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Is the 'y' pronouced like an 'a' in english? So like 'camra'?

the kum in kumquat and then ree which rhymes with lee or pee or see

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh Cymry not Cymru, so I gues Kumru

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've got to say that this thread is definitely making me think that maybe the UK does need to be broken up after all.

It's weird the way that people itt who would definitely acknowledge that the English oppressed the Irish won't even consider that maybe the same sort of thing happened to the Scottish and the Welsh. Why is Irish anger about historical oppression justified but Welsh anger is "just nationalism".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HS2 is a tory plot to complete the social cleansing of London. Every working class person in London is a northerner now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

Keep an eye on Silvermans, they don't have anywhere near as much Soviet stuff as they did in the past but it still comes up occasionally.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

the kum in kumquat and then ree which rhymes with lee or pee or see

Tesseraction posted:

oh Cymry not Cymru, so I gues Kumru

So Cam-Rah?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

This is exactly what I am looking for, but one based over here ideally.

Guavanaut posted:

Belarus. They have tons of them in warehouses. They may or may not be soaked in formaldehyde though, so they'll be in great condition but unpack them outside.

They come up on ebay now and again from sellers like oldschool-by.

Thanks, there is a Czech one, but with no buttons.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've got to say that this thread is definitely making me think that maybe the UK does need to be broken up after all.

It's weird the way that people itt who would definitely acknowledge that the English oppressed the Irish won't even consider that maybe the same sort of thing happened to the Scottish and the Welsh. Why is Irish anger about historical oppression justified but Welsh anger is "just nationalism".

:yeah:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

i believe it's something called broke worm infested brains

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Keep an eye on Silvermans, they don't have anywhere near as much Soviet stuff as they did in the past but it still comes up occasionally.

Seconding a recommendation for Silvermans . Used them before, good shop.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

marktheando posted:

Forums making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? Had to refresh this page three times for it to load.

My point is that the deliberate suppression of the Scots language is within living memory. It's not some far off thing. I was raised by someone who dealt with that poo poo. Sure things are better now but the attitudes persist. Like someone will probably reply to this saying Scots is a dialect and not a language.

:)

It’s neither a language or a dialect because there is no unifying Scots language or dialect. There are multiple different Scots dialects (of english) and the idea that there’s a unified one is silly and dumb.

Linguists don’t agree on this subject either so there is no right answer and my opinion being brought up here has about as much weight as yours, making it a pointless topic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

marktheando posted:

This is a fair point

Though my partner is Scottish and thinks Scots is a dialect lol. I refuse to take a position on the issue until I've had a few wines and think I'm hard

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was oppressed in school by my classmates for not having a west country accent and because I pronounced Bath the 'posh' way. (Correct way)

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It is weirdly out of character for the thread, most times when a topic comes up people don't care about or they find the poster annoying they don't turn that into a stick to beat them with. If you don't care, don't read, if you don't know about the topic either way, listen, if you don't like the poster, ignore and if they're being extra lovely report. Turning around and going "who rattled your leeks :v: " is kind of uncalled for and uncomradely.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

i believe it's something called broke worm infested brains

:ironicat:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I know, I was annoyed, my mad.

The honest answer is of course that the question of nationalism and nationality within left wing discourse has always been a big point of consternation that has never been satisfactorily resolved. There are plenty of people who agree with one another on most things but completely diverge there. It's not ideal but just yelling 'prick' at each other isn't going to achieve much besides making everyone double down in frustration.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

e: unnecessary

Now taking bets on how large the eventual cost of HS2 will be.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 11, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Aphex- posted:

I was oppressed in school by my classmates for not having a west country accent and because I pronounced Bath the 'posh' way. (Correct way)

orroight moi luvver

also I get called alco taff, sheep shagger, only gay in the village, etc and I'm not even Welsh Cymry, I just lived around Ceredigion for a few years.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I haven’t seen a single person suggest that the Welsh haven’t been oppressed

what I have seen is people arguing against the idea that you can differentiate between oppressors and oppressed based entirely on which side of an imaginary line they are

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Saith posted:

Did I say that, dickhead? I'm all for repatriating stolen goods to their countries of origin. I'm all for reparations. It wouldn't be enough. Nothing can ever be enough to redeem this oval office of a dying empire. If it was up to me, the museums of London would be loving empty, 'cause everything would be back in Egypt and China and India and all the other places we orchestrated genocides, set up apartheid states and just generally committed crimes against humanity. Nowhere did I say any of that poo poo was acceptable.

Don't you live in London? Don't you work for one of those museums? You are literally profiting off of those atrocities, right now. Every penny you spend has been baptised in the blood of brown babies. And I'm not saying that you, personally, hold any responsibility for the actions that took place. I'm not saying that you should feel guilty or that you should quit your job, especially if it's something that actually brings you fulfillment.

But you are profiting from it. And the descendants of the people who died to make sure people like you can profit from it, even hundreds of years later, are right now dying from austerity.

And listen, before you say 'yes, so are the English', please remember that your post was in response to my post about the Scottish Indyref. If the Yorkshireish(?) wanted independence from the UK, many of my arguments would apply. Not all of them sure, but quite a few would. And I would find it equally disgusting if the prevailing attitude amongst the English population was 'I actually, no joke, 100% not a figure of speech want them to suffer immensely and then die in agony, knowing how big a mistake they made. I want them to beg, and I want to turn them away. I'm not exaggerating. If they dare to leave us, I will not be satisfied until they are destroyed'. But something tells me that that wouldn't be the attitude, would it? Why? I guess it's a mystery.

Nobody has as of yet even attempted to dispute the FACT that English politicians are incentivised to spread hate about us.

Yes, you said, in effect, "Share your ill-gotten wealth, we helped you steal it!" I mean there is still a lot of stuff there that is from Britain, Sutton Hoo etc. I think all of it should be given back, and to argue otherwise is daft.

I am actually profiting off of other stuff. The place that makes the most money (and where I work most of the time) was a purely scientific institution. The only things we have in there that aren't from Britain are some astrolabes, which I agree should be given back, but there are a lot of them, most of them of minimal historical import. I would say that I do, in fact, have some level of culpability within this system though and if I could live without working here I defo would.

I think it would be hosed up, but that argument is still saying "Oh we want to get all the benefits of having been/being part of a colonial power, but none of the disadvantages. Also share with us what you stole!

I don't think anyone here would disagree. It's simply that, shockingly, virtue is not located simply inside of a border. I am personally in favour of an independent Scotland and Wales if it wanted to go, but don't think that just because you were a junior partner in atrocity makes you any less culpable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Something I randomly remembered for the European Fast Food thread, but does anyone rember Jumbucks? Amazing Australian jaffle pies with excellent chips, maybe the perfect fast food, now all gone. Had one at Bournemouth uni that I went to all the time on my undergrad. Genuinely sad that they're gone and nothing like them seems to exist. Going to buy a jaffle press when I get my own place.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bigotry, people don't like to have it pointed out to them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Why is Irish anger about historical oppression justified but Welsh anger is "just nationalism".

The passage of time, perhaps?

I didn't really get involved but the frothy rage didn't seem to be addressing historical injustices but attacking the poor across the border for present woes that don't arise from English oppression but from capitalist oppression.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lord Ashcroft has released his assessment of what went wrong for Labour at the election.

quote:

Last month I polled over 10,000 people, paying particular attention to those who voted Labour in 2017 but not in 2019. We have also conducted 18 focus groups in seats Labour lost, with people who have moved away from the party (often feeling that the party had moved away from them). The report includes extensive quotes from these discussions, since they explain Labour’s predicament better than any analyst could. They are all the more powerful when you consider they come from people who were voting Labour until very recently and probably never expected to do otherwise.

We also polled over 1,000 Labour Party members, and conducted focus groups with members of the party and of Labour-supporting trade unions, to see how the Labour movement’s understanding of the election differs from that of the electorate at large and whether – and how far – they think the party needs to change.
More serious still for [Brexit] voters was the principle that Labour had refused to implement the democratically expressed wishes of the people, and often of their own constituents. Brexit therefore became a metaphor for a party that no longer listened to them, taking their votes for granted while dismissing their views as ignorant or backward. “They were saying, ‘it’s the adults talking now, leave the table and we’ll sort it out for you’,” as one former supporter put it. Another linked Labour’s apparent attitude on Brexit to Gordon Brown’s encounter with Gillian Duffy in 2010: “He tarred her with the bigot brush rather than listening to what she had to say. It’s the same with Brexit.” These impressions – of a party unready for office and unwilling to listen – will not vanish just because the Brexit legislation is complete.
“I did not want Jeremy Corbyn to be Prime Minister” topped the list for Labour defectors when we asked their reasons for switching, whether they went to the Tories or the Lib Dems, to another party, or stayed at home. Though a few saw good intentions, former Labour voters in our groups lamented what they saw as his weakness, indecision, lack of patriotism, apparent terrorist sympathies, failure to deal with antisemitism, outdated and excessively left-wing worldview, and obvious unsuitability to lead the country. But the feeling that the Labour Party was no longer for them went beyond Brexit and the Corbyn leadership.
Despite all this, the defectors we spoke to do not rule out returning to Labour. Indeed, many now clearly relish their new status as floating voters, ready to hold governments to account and take each election as it comes. But they won’t do so until Labour changes, and most expect the necessary transformation to take years. While many Labour members grasp the need to change in principle, it is clear that they would find some of the shifts voters say they want to see – such as a less liberal stance on immigration, or much stricter fiscal discipline – harder to stomach in practice.

This report is not a road map to recovery: different people can draw sharply different conclusions from the same data, and I’m sure that will be the case with this research. But the first step is to come to terms with your starting point. What follows is a pitiless but objective assessment of where that is.

The focus groups were held last month in Bolsover, Bridgend, Burnley, Don Valley, Scunthorpe, Sedgefield, Stoke-on-Trent North, West Bromwich East and Wrexham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Darth Walrus posted:

Meanwhile, I've seen precious little from Starmer on any actual, substantive issues. This is what I'm talking about with moral leadership - one frontrunner's providing it, one isn't.

He hasn't turned up to much what with his mum in law dying.