Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
All your ideas have been a big help. I've been going through them all and I think I've figured out what's going on. Slight brainfart on my part. The room the NanoHD is an extension - the internal walls used to be external ones so they're doubly thick brick walls. I was able to try placing the NanoHD just outside the room (the cat6 cable I have to hand is just barely long enough), and that made a tremendous difference to the signal. So it's very much a positioning problem as you guys have said. Looks like I'll need to get drilling and cable laying unless MOCA over 50ohm RG58 coaxial cable works. Emailed Actiontec and Motorola who make those MOCA adapters so I'll see what they come back with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's also this which aims to do the ethernet over coax thing. I think you may struggle as devices designed to use existing TV signal distribution coaxial installations will be expecting 75 ohm cable and your old ethernet stuff is 50 ohm.

https://www.doubleradius.com/Manufacturers/glinq/ignitenet-glinq-indoor-converter.html

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 5, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

There's also this which aims to do the ethernet over coax thing. I think you may struggle as devices designed to use existing TV signal distribution coaxial installations will be expecting 75 ohm cable and your old ethernet stuff is 50 ohm.

https://www.doubleradius.com/Manufacturers/glinq/ignitenet-glinq-indoor-converter.html

Dumb question, could they toss a 25ohm pad on there to attenuate the signal? (I don't know what the difference between the two is physically, but "just" going up in impedance seems like it should be $5. Is the gauge of the coaxial itself wrong? Could it be adapted?)

It's just some dumb copper core with a conductive sheeth for ground right? Alligator clips would work in theory.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Thanks for the IgniteNet link. I hadn't come across that. Both Actiontec and Motorola have gotten back to me. Actiontec said to only use 75 ohm coax with their MOCA adapter.

Motorola replied, "I don't see why it shouldn't work over those cables since it's simply sending the Moca signal over it anyway." I'm not sure how much faith to put in their reply but I'm thinking of ordering the Motorola ones.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lusername posted:

Thanks for the IgniteNet link. I hadn't come across that. Both Actiontec and Motorola have gotten back to me. Actiontec said to only use 75 ohm coax with their MOCA adapter.

Motorola replied, "I don't see why it shouldn't work over those cables since it's simply sending the Moca signal over it anyway." I'm not sure how much faith to put in their reply but I'm thinking of ordering the Motorola ones.

Buy from a place with free returns.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What do you guys do with the annoying power bricks for the stuff inside of a media cabinet?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Dumb question, could they toss a 25ohm pad on there to attenuate the signal? (I don't know what the difference between the two is physically, but "just" going up in impedance seems like it should be $5. Is the gauge of the coaxial itself wrong? Could it be adapted?)

It's just some dumb copper core with a conductive sheeth for ground right? Alligator clips would work in theory.

The characteristic impedance of a coax cable isn't its DC resistance, it's the ratio of the voltage to the current of an RF signal passing through the line.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line#The_four_terminal_model
This is a property of the cross-section dimensions of the cable and the dielectric material used - not something you can change with an attenuator.

BlackMK4 posted:

What do you guys do with the annoying power bricks for the stuff inside of a media cabinet?

Close the cabinet door so I don't have to look at the spaghetti monster.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I recently moved. In the old place I was able to run an Ethernet cable to my desktop, but in the new place that's not really possible. I got a wireless card for my desktop (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42#ov) to use with 5GHz, and it's working fairly well, speedtest is saying between 70-90Mbps, but if it was wired it would be closer to 250-300.

I currently have an Archer C7 v2, and I see now that there is a v5. Is there any reason to upgrade/get a different router? Is there a wireless card or router that supports beamforming that might increase the speed? 70-90 is probably fast enough, but is there anything I can do to reduce latency for xTreme gaming?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So something went a little weird with my Unifi setup. I went in to configuration to check something, and my AP is not being detected anymore. It's broadcasting the SSIDs, I can ping it, I can even get online via it, but it says in the Unifi software that it's disconnected.

I disconnected and reconnected it physically, but no dice on that.

e: I logged into it via SSH and got this:

code:
UBNT-BZ.v4.0.80# info

Model:       UAP-AC-Lite
Version:     4.0.80.10875
MAC Address: 18:e8:29:90:c5:af
IP Address:  192.168.0.16
Hostname:    UBNT
Uptime:      155 seconds

Status:      Unable to resolve ([url]http://unifi:8080/inform[/url])
I tried manually doing set-inform and no dice there.

e2: windows firewall! :argh:

e3: if the last edit wasn't indicative enough, it was Windows Firewall blocking poo poo. We good now.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 7, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I recently moved. In the old place I was able to run an Ethernet cable to my desktop, but in the new place that's not really possible. I got a wireless card for my desktop (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42#ov) to use with 5GHz, and it's working fairly well, speedtest is saying between 70-90Mbps, but if it was wired it would be closer to 250-300.

I currently have an Archer C7 v2, and I see now that there is a v5. Is there any reason to upgrade/get a different router? Is there a wireless card or router that supports beamforming that might increase the speed? 70-90 is probably fast enough, but is there anything I can do to reduce latency for xTreme gaming?

Buy a set of powerline network adapters from a place that lets you return things easily.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

astral posted:

Buy a set of powerline network adapters from a place that lets you return things easily.

I have a pair, they are slower than the 5ghz

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
MoCA is your other choice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Maybe it’s common knowledge but every mobile apple os has a integrated WiFi scanner app now

http://www.my80211.com/home/2019/10/5/ios-13-and-ipados-wi-fi-diagnostics.html

You just install a configuration profile and you will get a dedicated diagnostics tab under the WiFi profile info that tells you everything that runs under the hood, be it wpa type or ap roaming or signal power in real values.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 8, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MacOS has a nice analyzer built in too that helped me set up my equipment in an area where there was a lot of channel congestion.

As for power bricks, Velcro ties to make the mess as small as I can and then (as mentioned) closing the cabinet door. I hate wires.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

What's my best option for a combo wireless/wired ap, preferably for not a million dollars. I've been using some older routers that I just disabled DHCP on but they're getting pretty old and now that I'm in a new place that requires a bit more TLC on the networking side of things (last place was a shoebox that was prewired with eth) I figured it was as good a time as any for an overhaul. I don't mind having an AP and a switch but would prefer it to be a single device in each location

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I want to see the options for million dollar combo/wireless AP’s!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

What's my best option for a combo wireless/wired ap, preferably for not a million dollars. I've been using some older routers that I just disabled DHCP on but they're getting pretty old and now that I'm in a new place that requires a bit more TLC on the networking side of things (last place was a shoebox that was prewired with eth) I figured it was as good a time as any for an overhaul. I don't mind having an AP and a switch but would prefer it to be a single device in each location

ER-X + 2xNanoHD is working great for me.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am setup on a USG and all unifi gear now. I can't believe there is not a way in the GUI to setup DHCP to assign certain devices a different DNS than others.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nerox posted:

I am setup on a USG and all unifi gear now. I can't believe there is not a way in the GUI to setup DHCP to assign certain devices a different DNS than others.

That is a super uncommon problem. Different pools are more common. Can you make a second pool that's 192.168.0.128/25 and make your reservations for those have the other dns resolver? The first 128 addresses could be a different pool with your primary resolver.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Looking at the Archer C5 listed as a basic router in the OP and I'm a bit worried by that review score, not to mention the OP being 1.5 years out of date.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The UDM pro is pretty drat tempting, but I’m not sure I want to be locked in to their camera ecosystem. I’d rather have a separate NVR that can talk to any normal IP POE camera.

After being in this house for over a year and wiring the hell out of everything I finally got one of the last pieces of the network sorted out. When the Comcast tech came by for install, he just dropped a short cable inside the wall (plugged in to my workbench) from the moca splitter for the power injector. It’s been an annoying pain in the rear end from day one so I finally got off my rear and did something about it.

Two new RG6 quad run to the network rack, some sch40 conduit, and that problem is solved. As a bonus, the injector is now on the battery backup. I also just upgraded my DL180G6 virtualization host to a sff desktop, apparently there are now VMware drivers for usb3 gig Ethernet adapters now!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Farecoal posted:

Looking at the Archer C5 listed as a basic router in the OP and I'm a bit worried by that review score, not to mention the OP being 1.5 years out of date.

Buy an Archer A7 if you want a cheap basic router.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have seen enough (and experienced) about the 5ghz dropping randomly on C7s and just not showing back up until a restart, which is annoying. I don't know if firmware has fixed it, but it happened to me enough that I just decided to go Ubiquiti and be done with consumer stuff, which is admittedly a lot more expensive.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have seen enough (and experienced) about the 5ghz dropping randomly on C7s and just not showing back up until a restart, which is annoying. I don't know if firmware has fixed it, but it happened to me enough that I just decided to go Ubiquiti and be done with consumer stuff, which is admittedly a lot more expensive.

ubiquiti stuff is great. i was having similar issues as you, just not happy with consumer wifi and all in one units no matter how much i spent on consumer. I wish i would have invested in ubiquiti equipment a lot sooner.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
My AC1900 Archer C9 has been absolutely rock solid for me for years now. After moving to a bigger house I added 3 TP-LINK EAP access points (2 indoor, 1 outdoor - overkill) and turned off the router's wifi. With the free cloud controller it's the poor man's ubiquiti setup. Would recommend.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

derk posted:

ubiquiti stuff is great. i was having similar issues as you, just not happy with consumer wifi and all in one units no matter how much i spent on consumer. I wish i would have invested in ubiquiti equipment a lot sooner.

That's why I went with PFSense installed on a mini PC and Unifi for WiFi. Was tired of consumer crap routers and wifi. Now it just works! No random cut outs, no rebooting, etc..

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

That's why I went with PFSense installed on a mini PC and Unifi for WiFi. Was tired of consumer crap routers and wifi. Now it just works! No random cut outs, no rebooting, etc..

Yeah this combo give or take a Mikrotik is going to be set up and forget it for a long time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Agreed, I’ve pretty much run that for years and haven’t had any issues with a pfsense vm/ubiquiti AP combo, it’s rock solid.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well, my Dream Machine is still working as an AP/router but the controller is showing as offline and rebooting it didn't help so the next step is a factory reset which is exactly what I bought this drat thing to not have to less than a month in. :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There was a Ubiquiti cloud outage which caused that, they promise they are fixing it in the next firmware

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

There was a Ubiquiti cloud outage which caused that, they promise they are fixing it in the next firmware

Oh, that's uhhhhh better I guess? I suppose I'll just wait for that before I bother trying to reset it.

EDIT: Do they have an ongoing status ticket or thread about this?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 11, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something about the check for cloud services running in the same function that checked for the components of the system all being able to talk to each other, so when the cloud connection timed out it also threw an error about the component parts of the UDM.

https://community.ui.com/questions/UDP-PRO-suddenly-showing-Heartbeat-missed-and-disconnected-/a97bcee6-f6ef-46f3-9cf1-1d35c85fed31

Having read that again it might not be the same problem you're having though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Something about the check for cloud services running in the same function that checked for the components of the system all being able to talk to each other, so when the cloud connection timed out it also threw an error about the component parts of the UDM.

https://community.ui.com/questions/UDP-PRO-suddenly-showing-Heartbeat-missed-and-disconnected-/a97bcee6-f6ef-46f3-9cf1-1d35c85fed31

Having read that again it might not be the same problem you're having though.

Yeah I think that's a separate issue, my controller is just showing as offline in every interface I can check:

Same thing via the mobile app.

I'll push the Factory Reset button sometime this week, it's not like I had a complicated setup running.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This would be fine for a LAN party right? https://www.microcenter.com/product/617283/tenda-teg1016d-16-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch

Might just return it after anyway.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

devmd01 posted:

Agreed, I’ve pretty much run that for years and haven’t had any issues with a pfsense vm/ubiquiti AP combo, it’s rock solid.

For me, the most important piece has been my pfsense (now opnsense) router which works great even with a cheap consumer WiFi router as AP. Same consumer router sucks as the router (needing frequent reboots) but works perfectly as AP (never needing a reboot) with opnsense as router. Just throwing that out there for those not wanting to invest in both router and AP at the same time.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

KingKapalone posted:

This would be fine for a LAN party right? https://www.microcenter.com/product/617283/tenda-teg1016d-16-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch

Yes, it's a standard cheap switch (ie: the same as everything else).

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

KingKapalone posted:

Yes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is a small business and not a home but we have a pretty typical plug and play setup with some UniFi AP-AC-Pro setups.

We have three. One at the front, middle and back of the building. Recently we underwent some interior renovations (adding offices, reflooring the entire place) and now two of them won't power up anymore. They show up as disconnected in the controller portal and no matter what port I take them to (which I have tested all as working) plugging them in does jack squat. They just don't ever boot back up. I've also tested that the ports they were connected to and working on pre-construction are still working.

What the hell could cause these things to die? Unfortunately we have no IT person and the person that installed these is long gone so I'm kinda sitting here with my UniFi limp in my hand.

edit: I mean my first thought was some POE issue, but they worked just plugged into their previous ports but... no longer.

edit 2: lol I figured it out. Went to the first one and checked the POE injector and it was working fine. Went to other two and was like... wait a minute... where ARE the POE injectors? They were laying off to the side unplugged (the floor installers are installing floors while the building is fully occupied so to say things are inaccessible and furniture is piled up on furniture would be an understatement). Air gap!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 13, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

BonoMan posted:

This is a small business and not a home but we have a pretty typical plug and play setup with some UniFi AP-AC-Pro setups.

We have three. One at the front, middle and back of the building. Recently we underwent some interior renovations (adding offices, reflooring the entire place) and now two of them won't power up anymore. They show up as disconnected in the controller portal and no matter what port I take them to (which I have tested all as working) plugging them in does jack squat. They just don't ever boot back up. I've also tested that the ports they were connected to and working on pre-construction are still working.

What the hell could cause these things to die? Unfortunately we have no IT person and the person that installed these is long gone so I'm kinda sitting here with my UniFi limp in my hand.

edit: I mean my first thought was some POE issue, but they worked just plugged into their previous ports but... no longer.

Did you verify that PoE is still proper on those runs? Testing for connectivity doesn't mean that PoE was working. My first instinct is someone hosed up the runs somehow and blew out the APs.

edit: half right

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The Home Networking Thread: kinda sitting here with my UniFi limp in my hand