Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Methanar posted:

Differences between 2.4 and 5ghz wireless (any difference)
Radio frequency. 5ghz is less tolerant of obstructions breaking line of sight to the antenna
Maybe use 5ghz in a really noisy RF environment that is already full of 2.4ghz

You really want to be using 5GHz if your client devices support it and it's feasible in your environment. 2.4GHz is very crowded in most situations. Like, you're not wrong, but "really noisy RF environment that is already full of 2.4GHz" is the basic condition almost everywhere.

Additional differences include a larger number of channels and non-overlapping channels on 5GHz, since the channels are separated by the standard channel width, plus the addition of optional DFS channels. (Yes, you could configure wider channel widths and then it would be possible to overlap with other networks.) To restate a few things more clearly, the higher frequency also doesn't penetrate building materials as well, in addition to having a smaller cell size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The duty cycle of 2.4ghz in most enterprise environments is easily over 90% most of the time because the AP receive sensitivity is 90dbm. Even in my house with almost no friendly interference the duty cycle bounces up and down due to how sensitive that is. High duty cycle = many stop and listens = terrible performance.

Aruba and Cisco have a feature called RX-SOP that will lower the receive sensitivity of the access point which reduces stop and listens. If you design an office for 5ghz, let RRM push 2.4 down to 2dbm/5dbm and set the RX-SOP threshold down to 80dbm, you can get the duty cycle down under 30% which makes it useable again.

But usually I just turn 2.4 off if theres no requirement for legacy support, since some devices join 2.4 first by default and a roaming client will typically join 2.4 before 5 which causes stickiness problems.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 11, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

There's some other Healthcare IT goons in here right?

We just made a major announcement that we are switching from Cerner to Epic over the next 18 months. This is going to be a huge project being that we have 45+ hospitals, 3 different domains currently in Cerner and 10s of thousands of users in our system. Our hospital is also going through a large 100 million dollar tower addition as well as multiple other build outs. Exciting times, oh and my specific hospital is hiring as we are about to loose 2 of my fellow techs, so anyone in the Central Florida region looking, let me know!

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

We just made a major announcement that we are switching from Cerner to Epic over the next 18 months. This is going to be a huge project being that we have 45+ hospitals, 3 different domains currently in Cerner and 10s of thousands of users in our system. Our hospital is also going through a large 100 million dollar tower addition as well as multiple other build outs. Exciting times, oh and my specific hospital is hiring as we are about to loose 2 of my fellow techs, so anyone in the Central Florida region looking, let me know!

Wow 100m in tower licensing? I can't believe it can be that expensive.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PBS posted:

Wow 100m in tower licensing? I can't believe it can be that expensive.

Sorry, we are building a new additional tower onto our hospital that is a 100m project cost.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone else who works at a MSP have actual projects/timetables, SOWs and all that jazz? It seems that all I'm doing is just cleaning up 3am decisions made by the boss over the weekends with vague projects like "clean up group policy" and "get them modernized" while there are 2008 servers running IIS or SQL or off-brand access. Just this weekend he patched a client's worth of servers that had a half year backlog, which took down Elite (2008 server IIS 7.5) their DMS, and at a seperate client broke a user share. Two DRs on Monday. When I worked big corporate we had 0 real DRs in 7 years.

Being so far removed from an actual change process is really frustrating. Absolutely no back-out plans, if there's an issue "oh we can purchase a product; it's so slick how VEEEM can do virtualization"

I feel I really should find a new job asap

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

Ouch! I haven't heard of too many places going from one big player to another. I'm sure that's going to be quite the (costly) adventure.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy gently caress why does anyone give Gartner money

I'm going to light this meeting room on fire

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Ouch! I haven't heard of too many places going from one big player to another. I'm sure that's going to be quite the (costly) adventure.

I'm hearing upwards of 500+ million. We just signed our latest Cerner contract too recently, which run in 3 year cycles, so we basically have 3 years to get our entire corporation off of Cerner and onto Epic by then. I'm told our region will be the first to make the transition in the next 18 months, in our region alone we have 15+ hospitals so it sounds like we're going to be the test region for the rest of our sites.

Edit: Some more info I'm finding out. The cost for Cerner to merge our 3 production domains across our enterprise was almost equal to the cost of the transition to Epic. Apparently our Dr's wanted Epic more, so that's that then.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 11, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I feel I really should find a new job asap

Trust your feelings.

MSP work is only good for two types of people:

1 .Young, entry-level IT people can get a huge amount of experience in a short amount of time. You need to be young and healthy enough that you can handle the stress and the workload without it having an adverse impact, and you need to get out of there when you're no longer learning new things. Probably in the 2-3 year time frame.

2. Ownership, where cheating your employees out of overtime means you can get another boat.

Don't be like me and spend 15 years stagnating at an MSP and delaying your career by 10 years.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody ran into an issue on Catalina to where it won't let you install MS Office from the Office 365 page? I'm getting an error stating that the installer package can't be trusted and I've tried downloading it like 3 times.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Anybody ran into an issue on Catalina to where it won't let you install MS Office from the Office 365 page? I'm getting an error stating that the installer package can't be trusted and I've tried downloading it like 3 times.

don't have a mac in front of me, but isn't there a checkbox in a properties dialog that you can hit to allow execution of a binary from an internet source?

e: quick google says you might be able to ctrl-click/right-click->open to run it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Vargatron posted:

the installer package can't be trusted

drat right. :colbert:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Fool posted:

Trust your feelings.

MSP work is only good for two types of people:

1 .Young, entry-level IT people can get a huge amount of experience in a short amount of time. You need to be young and healthy enough that you can handle the stress and the workload without it having an adverse impact, and you need to get out of there when you're no longer learning new things. Probably in the 2-3 year time frame.

2. Ownership, where cheating your employees out of overtime means you can get another boat.

Don't be like me and spend 7 years stagnating at an MSP and delaying your career by 10 years.

Fixed for me :( I'm just now getting back to learning and trying to move past Helpdesk after 10 years of it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Fool posted:

don't have a mac in front of me, but isn't there a checkbox in a properties dialog that you can hit to allow execution of a binary from an internet source?

e: quick google says you might be able to ctrl-click/right-click->open to run it

No, I get the same result. I tried going in terminal to manually disable Gatekeeper and make the Anywhere option available from Security & Privacy>Allow apps downloaded from: dialog.

Ultimately I downloaded the MS Office suite from the App store but this experience is not making me want to swap over to the Mac OS. I feel like I have to enter a password every time I change a setting or install something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy gently caress why does anyone give Gartner money

I'm going to light this meeting room on fire

Do you mean you don't head straight for the Magic Quadrant when selecting vendors?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

mattfl posted:

I'm hearing upwards of 500+ million. We just signed our latest Cerner contract too recently, which run in 3 year cycles, so we basically have 3 years to get our entire corporation off of Cerner and onto Epic by then. I'm told our region will be the first to make the transition in the next 18 months, in our region alone we have 15+ hospitals so it sounds like we're going to be the test region for the rest of our sites.

Edit: Some more info I'm finding out. The cost for Cerner to merge our 3 production domains across our enterprise was almost equal to the cost of the transition to Epic. Apparently our Dr's wanted Epic more, so that's that then.

Having been involved in multiple transitions to EPIC and talked with others in systems that have done the same, I can promise you both that time and cost are lowballed.

My last place spent not much less than that but roughly 7x smaller in hospital/staff count.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vargatron posted:

No, I get the same result. I tried going in terminal to manually disable Gatekeeper and make the Anywhere option available from Security & Privacy>Allow apps downloaded from: dialog.

Ultimately I downloaded the MS Office suite from the App store but this experience is not making me want to swap over to the Mac OS. I feel like I have to enter a password every time I change a setting or install something.

you often do and it's a good thing, apple deserves serious praise for forcing app developers to deprecate 32bit and to be very conscious with how they are using permissions from their users.

that being said, you can use the right click context menu to allow running apps from internet sources, the message should appear in security & privacy, and you absolutely should not need to disable Gatekeeper to do that.

Or just use VPP to install Office for your users directly - VPP O365 licenses are "free" (though obviously MS licenses are not).

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:yotj:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

you often do and it's a good thing, apple deserves serious praise for forcing app developers to deprecate 32bit and to be very conscious with how they are using permissions from their users.

that being said, you can use the right click context menu to allow running apps from internet sources, the message should appear in security & privacy, and you absolutely should not need to disable Gatekeeper to do that.

Or just use VPP to install Office for your users directly - VPP O365 licenses are "free" (though obviously MS licenses are not).

I understand what you're saying here in terms of security, but this frustrates me from a general usability perspective. This is a laptop I'm setting up for personal use so I would like to configure it in such a way where I don't have to constantly input my password. Also, I'll try the right click prompt tomorrow to see if that will allow the installer package to run. Ultimately I used the App Store version of O365, but this makes deployment difficult when I'm setting up a laptop for a user.

My main umbrage with Catalina is how it didn't really inform users that 32 bit apps would cease to function after an upgrade. I can't tell you how many times I've had to reinstall Office altogether for users when 2016 broke.

I will say that the permissions management for the average user helps prevent viruses and malware, but for an admin level user, it feels like you have to stop every 5 seconds to enter a password for something as simple as a print driver installation.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

mattfl posted:

I know literally nothing about healthcare IT, but I'm willing to bet a bunch of money that at the end of this the doctors who were all in favor of this won't be able to recall being for it and will be looking back fondly at the old system.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I know literally nothing about healthcare IT, but I'm willing to bet a bunch of money that at the end of this the doctors who were all in favor of this won't be able to recall being for it and will be looking back fondly at the old system.

Probably not. I work at a hospital and a number of the doctors here also work at other hospitals. We're on Cerner almost everyone else is Epic. I don't know a single doctor that likes Cerner and they've all said Epic is worlds better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I understand what you're saying here in terms of security, but this frustrates me from a general usability perspective. This is a laptop I'm setting up for personal use so I would like to configure it in such a way where I don't have to constantly input my password. Also, I'll try the right click prompt tomorrow to see if that will allow the installer package to run. Ultimately I used the App Store version of O365, but this makes deployment difficult when I'm setting up a laptop for a user.

My main umbrage with Catalina is how it didn't really inform users that 32 bit apps would cease to function after an upgrade. I can't tell you how many times I've had to reinstall Office altogether for users when 2016 broke.

I will say that the permissions management for the average user helps prevent viruses and malware, but for an admin level user, it feels like you have to stop every 5 seconds to enter a password for something as simple as a print driver installation.

To which i essentially say get over typing in passwords regularly, and you shouldn't be provisioning users by right clicking at any point in the process

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Realistically you shouldn’t be typing any passwords in either, outside of potentially kicking off your provisioning process it should otherwise be totally automated.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
typing is bullshit

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

you're right, i was considering MFA but push is better than totp anyways

don't get used to typing passwords, automate that away too

automate your job away and sip martinis at the beach

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Automate your drinking

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Probably not. I work at a hospital and a number of the doctors here also work at other hospitals. We're on Cerner almost everyone else is Epic. I don't know a single doctor that likes Cerner and they've all said Epic is worlds better.

I'm hearing, at the very least, the interface of Epic is much more user friendly than that of Cerner. I don't do much cerner support but the few times I've had to use it that GUI is a nightmare.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mattfl posted:

I'm hearing, at the very least, the interface of Epic is much more user friendly than that of Cerner. I don't do much cerner support but the few times I've had to use it that GUI is a nightmare.

Gonna have to buy you plat so I can PM throughout the migration. I'm super interested to hear how this goes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Being prompted to confirm you really want something like a driver with direct hardware access to be installed seems...good, though? If you are setting up a new machine for the first time then yeah, it is a little tedious. But it should drop off once you’re just using it for daily work. Most days I’m only entering my password to unlock the screen and 1Password.

Touch ID also makes this 1000% less annoying. Quick tap and I’m on my way. Doesn’t help with desktop models, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Iron Rose posted:

you're right, i was considering MFA but push is better than totp anyways

don't get used to typing passwords, automate that away too

automate your job away and sip martinis at the beach

I tried that, but alas

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sadly, all of our automation is Windows focused and we don't have the resources to do it for Macs. I have to set up Macs by hand and there are enough users in our environment running them that I need to get familiar with the OS to support them better.

Docjowles posted:

Being prompted to confirm you really want something like a driver with direct hardware access to be installed seems...good, though? If you are setting up a new machine for the first time then yeah, it is a little tedious. But it should drop off once you’re just using it for daily work. Most days I’m only entering my password to unlock the screen and 1Password.

Touch ID also makes this 1000% less annoying. Quick tap and I’m on my way. Doesn’t help with desktop models, though.

That's basically my main issue, it slows down the setup process when we set these up by hand.

The Iron Rose posted:

To which i essentially say get over typing in passwords regularly, and you shouldn't be provisioning users by right clicking at any point in the process

I work in academic IT, so there's a ton of stuff that we shouldn't be doing that we do :(. It's also standard process here to let users bring in personal laptops or grand them admin rights to their own PC. I have to fight tooth and nail to get people to actually let us order and set up their machines, otherwise they'll be bringing in $300 shitboxes and expect us to get Matlab to run on it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Industries that I will refuse to work in thanks to people posting in this thread over the years as well as my personal experiences:

- education (especially for-profit lmfao, ITT Tech corporate was a trip)
- retail
- anything warehousing/logistics focused
- law
- healthcare
- Any sort of MSP

Did I miss anything?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

devmd01 posted:

Industries that I will refuse to work in thanks to people posting in this thread over the years as well as my personal experiences:

- education (especially for-profit lmfao, ITT Tech corporate was a trip)
- retail
- anything warehousing/logistics focused
- law
- healthcare
- Any sort of MSP

Did I miss anything?

Add automotive to that list.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

-Anything because humans were not designed to work

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Add anything with software.

Have you seen the software? Doesn't matter where, have you seen it? It's universally awful and a small wonder it hasn't killed anyone yet. In some places the software has killed people, and you don't want to work there, but if you are working with software, your software is going to kill someone some day.

And now I've written 'software' so many times the word has gone funny to me. Soft-ware. It's soft, like your innards. The ware is poo poo, also like a lot of your innards.

Have you tried farming goats instead?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I genuinely miss working in the pharmaceutical IT industry. You are required to document. You are required to use processes and adhere to those processes. You have to use a ticketing system that is setup with change management processes that evolves as needed. Departments are actually aligned with common goals. It's not perfect but drat for IT it was pretty great. Compared to the non-profit I work at right now where none of this happens and it's basically the wild west.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Working at a software company isn’t perfect, but it’s the least worst job so far.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

Working at a software company isn’t perfect, but it’s the least worst job so far.

:yeah:

Although my worst job was ALSO at a software company, so, I'm not sure this is entirely predictive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Helldesk > Law > MSP

I guess I suck at interviewing