Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Chud takes on Parasite are great but the ones I can't stand are the "It wasn't sufficiently leftist" takes, which are really starting to come out in droves. It's all about how capitalism pits poor people against each other instead of uniting to recognize their common struggle! It lies and convinces people that there's a limited amount of pie and the rich already have theirs so we need to fight for the crumbs rather than uniting and demanding an equal share from the rich! And the rich family are depicted as oblivious to the suffering of their employees and despite having empathy for them still ultimately see them more as tools than as people and in the end are completely flummoxed and confused as to what drove the Kims to madness -- because they live completely above the struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just took it as them showing how this poor man's extreme plight is just a fun game for a rich kid.

That definitely fits with the Cowboys & Indians play acting, especially as Da-Song was in his American teepee when decoding the lights.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

theblackw0lf posted:

I still see too many people viewing the Park family as the "bad guys". When according to Bong he intentionally made the Park family a family that has many appealing qualities, and the critique was more on the system that leads to the Park family, who by most accounts are just a good family, still oblivious to their privilege and how the disconnect between the rich and poor lead to unintentional harmful behavior. And also how that divide leads to a lack of empathy and understanding.

There's a quote that Bong said paraphrasing was "I wanted to make a film where there's no real villain, and have the audience ask themselves how did things play out the way they did when there were really no "bad" people involved?"

someone in another thread posted that this was today's answer to "why did mooky throw the trash can through the window" which was pretty apt. The Italians running the shop weren't the worst people in the world. Hell he didn't necessarily deserve a can through the window for being racist deep down, that's just how things play out when push comes to shove

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Chud takes on Parasite are great but the ones I can't stand are the "It wasn't sufficiently leftist" takes, which are really starting to come out in droves. It's all about how capitalism pits poor people against each other instead of uniting to recognize their common struggle! It lies and convinces people that there's a limited amount of pie and the rich already have theirs so we need to fight for the crumbs rather than uniting and demanding an equal share from the rich! And the rich family are depicted as oblivious to the suffering of their employees and despite having empathy for them still ultimately see them more as tools than as people and in the end are completely flummoxed and confused as to what drove the Kims to madness -- because they live completely above the struggle.

I'm willing to bet there's "and yet Bong Joon Ho takes part in society :thunk:" takes especially since he hangs with hollywood libs now (the same people who think Ricky Gervais is a breath of fresh air)

the worst I saw was some nobody rear end critic going on about Shoplifters being better (haven't seen, I'm sure it's fine) in just the most insufferable way

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Shoplifters being better isn't a wild take. It's much better than just good. Though I'm sure you're right about this being some dweeb performing their authenticity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/modooborahae/status/1227003413336031239?s=21

Kind of wild to see the actor for Geunse with a full head of hair

"Congrats! hey man wanna get some 85C?"

*gets hit by rock*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Shoplifters being better isn't a wild take. It's much better than just good. Though I'm sure you're right about this being some dweeb performing their authenticity.

he got blocked by a parasite fan for calling them a "cinematic tourist" and told his followers to drag them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They should get rid of the Oscar for Foreign film, and instead have individual awards for each continent, then each of the winners from those categories are automatically nominated in the Best Picture category. Kinda like a dog show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda like Blood Sport. Or Mortal Kombat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress, did Mortal Kombat ever get nominated? Having Scorpion "GET OVER HERE" t he oscar from the stage would be truly historic

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I found Shoplifters a huge step back for Koreeda and was pretty disappointed by it. I've loved all his other stuff so it was really surprising in a bad way.

Parasite is the superior film.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm willing to bet there's "and yet Bong Joon Ho takes part in society :thunk:" takes especially since he hangs with hollywood libs now (the same people who think Ricky Gervais is a breath of fresh air)

the worst I saw was some nobody rear end critic going on about Shoplifters being better (haven't seen, I'm sure it's fine) in just the most insufferable way

Wait, whats wrong with Gervais now? He made some of the best TV series ever.

Also him calling out the sex pests in hollywood at the golden globes seems like a good thing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

Also him calling out the sex pests in hollywood at the golden globes seems like a good thing

His constant transphobia and “sorry you were offended” shtick is incredibly tiresome.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Shoplifters is excellent but they're incredibly different movies even if they share some key themes.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Another nice subversive moment I enjoyed was when Da-Song pointed out that the Kim family's clothes all smelled the same. There's an instinctual tension as a viewer that they're about to be found out, but the Park parents are so incurious they don't even think about a potential common thread, much less that the proles are getting one over on them. For Ki-Taek, it's a life or death moment, but the Parks couldn't give less of a poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

After a few days to digest, here are my thoughts on the movie Parasite. It was absolutely brilliant. I was triggered for the entire duration, but I have to admit that it was brilliant.

I have friends, family, and associates in Korea who are super rich and who are super poor. I know folks like the Kims who live in basement dwellings and I know folks like the Parks who live in lavish mansions and tall skyscrapers. For now, I'm just going to talk about my interactions with people like the Park family. And yes, the rich are super out of touch with reality. I might write more on the Kims later but I think more of you can relate to the Kims and working class folks than the Parks so I'll start with the Parks.

I visited South Korea many times since 2008. I usually stayed for a few months at a time, and in 2013 I was there a whole year. Here are some stories from those days.

As a native English speaker when I was living in Korea, I got paid $50-80 an hour to tutor their super rich kids. Did they see my resume? No. Just like "Kevin," the parents had no idea where University of Maryland is, but they were satisfied that I am an American and I went to college. They liked that I have an English name. My fellow Korean American tutors with Korean names had to make up English names to get clients.

One rich family I know used their money and influence to send their daughter to a very prestigious university in the US. Apparently she was a slacker, because I got paid thousands of dollars to write her papers and her finals. I got PAID to study psychology, astronomy, and art history. This is why I have random rear end science facts in my brain and I dominate trivia nights in the science category. I would meet this person at her gated home, say hello to her live-in house servant, pick up a hard drive and crank out essays after essays for a full year. If I stayed late, her driver would drive me home. She got an A in all of her classes.

I've also had my rich English students in Korea hit on me, like the girl in the film did to the main character, while their parents ignored them to focus their time and energy on their sons when they weren't working. They were too young so I was like hell no (I was in my early twenties and a virgin, they were 16-18). But I wasn't the first teacher they tried to hook up with and apparently they spent all of their free time hooking up with older strangers in Itaewon in retaliation (either to me for rejecting them or as a way to lash out at their parents).

The younger students I taught were hard to deal with (the little boy's age in Parasite) because their parents insisted on sitting in on every lesson. They pay more attention to their sons than their daughters. I taught one kid in Gangnam who liked to scribble and draw comics. His parents kept bragging about how much of a genius he is, using words like "metaphorical." Ten years later I find out they trained and sent him to a really, really expensive art school in NY. I haven't really kept up with them so I wonder where all of these kids are now.

I guess this is why Parasite resonated with me. I know the Parks and I know the Kims. And they all drive me f*cking insane.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 11, 2020

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Weird victim blaming at the end.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
All their hot daughters were throwing themselves at me left and right but I was all like, no

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Colonel Whitey posted:

As long as people are posting nuclear hot takes about parasite winning, I have a “fat man” to drop in here

https://twitter.com/bongjoonwhore/status/1226811394206531584?s=21

Maybe this gentleman should watch the movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RichterIX posted:

All their hot daughters were throwing themselves at me left and right but I was all like, no

Also it's important to note that I was a virgin and yet even I held off on their advances

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Eh I can believe it. Lots of girls really respond to slightly older guys in positions of ostensible respect and authority.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

porfiria posted:

Weird victim blaming at the end.

See, the reading of the Kims as victims is just as tone deaf as the reading of the Parks as evil villains. The Kims do terrible things. The son doesn’t waste a minute stealing his friend’s girlfriend while he studied abroad, the daughter blatantly forges credentials for both herself and her brother. They all conspire to get the Parks’ driver and housekeeper fired, possibly causing a dangerous allergic reaction in the process. The Parks act contemptuously of them, but the Kims mostly only know that because they’re trespassing in the Parks house.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They're just trying to survive.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

coronavirus posted:

If you look at the categories included in the anti discrimination laws of any developed country (sex, race, religion, disability, etc), Ricky Gervais is a proud bigot against some sub-group in every single category. And when he does say something that's "good" he only does it to be shocking.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
My read of Ki-woo and Da-hye is that he was seriously deluded that her parents would ever put up with it if they found out (same deal as his dream of success at the end), but I have no context for how culturally accepted that kind of relation would be. It sounds like an overly improbable "crook has a brilliant scheme to seduce the rich heiress" type story to my ears, something that could never have a "happy" ending within the universe of the movie, not even getting into the fact that everyone involved has ulterior motives.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 12, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He’s been a friend of mine for decades and I believe him. I dunno how it is for everyone else but his experience being a virgin in his early 20’s and being hit on by way younger girls is pretty common as a Korean American. Young Korean girls hitting on you isn’t a brag, Koreans are pretty puritanical (or at least were in the 80’s and 90’s) and access to the opposite sex outside school hours was restricted so they were often attracted to any guy/girl in their life

YaketySass posted:

My read of Ki-jung and Da-hye is that he was seriously deluded that her parents would ever put up with it if they found out (same deal as his dream of success at the end), but I have no context for how culturally accepted that kind of relation would be. It sounds like an overly improbable "crook has a brilliant scheme to seduce the rich heiress" type story to my ears, something that could never have a "happy" ending within the universe of the movie, not even getting into the fact that everyone involved has ulterior motives.

Yeah I don’t think it was ever gonna be accepted

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Negostrike posted:

They're just trying to survive.

Nahhh. They’re trying to improve their standard of living. They’re on the capitalist treadmill just like the Parks. That’s the point of Parasite.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

As of Sunday night, Parasite is literally “the movie that is famous for not being in English” so lol.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Wondering what non-zero percent of the audience went in expecting something like Alien with a title like that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

YaketySass posted:

Wondering what non-zero percent of the audience went in expecting something like Alien with a title like that.

Ten minutes in my wife leaned over and said “wait, is this NOT a zombie movie?”

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Henchman of Santa posted:

His constant transphobia and “sorry you were offended” shtick is incredibly tiresome.

Ah. I've never heard anything transphobic from him, but I am not really on twitter or anything like that so I guess I've missed it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

coronavirus posted:

Ah. I've never heard anything transphobic from him, but I am not really on twitter or anything like that so I guess I've missed it.

I'll pull the band aid off and tell you that JK Rowling is also transphobic.

Are subs actually like, a big deal for people (barring like, eg, dyslexia)? I've never felt like I was "missing" the movie because I was reading the subs, but maybe it's because I spent my wayward youth watching anime. I just don't get the argument that they're distracting?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I prefer subtitles but I will acknowledge that you often miss nuances in an actor’s performance because your eyes are on the subtitles instead of their faces.

Which is why you should always watch subbed movies multiple times

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reading subs can ruin pacing, which is most obvious in comedic dialogue, and you'll probably miss noticing what's going on visually more than if you weren't reading during the movie, but I still use subtitles even for most movies in English when I can.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Considering his other work I did think it was going to be a sci-fi movie when I first heard the title.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kudos to all the subtitlers who take the care to timecode their subs carefully, you are underappreciated. Nothing kills a comedy like subtitle punchlines jumping the gun by a second.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

To be fair he is British and as far as I can tell it’s illegal not to be transphobic there.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll pull the band aid off and tell you that JK Rowling is also transphobic.

Are subs actually like, a big deal for people (barring like, eg, dyslexia)? I've never felt like I was "missing" the movie because I was reading the subs, but maybe it's because I spent my wayward youth watching anime. I just don't get the argument that they're distracting?

JK Rowling has been a tool for a long loving time so no surprise there.

I am really hoping they do the B&W re-release in theaters near me. I'd love to go see this again in theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

YaketySass posted:

My read of Ki-woo and Da-hye is that he was seriously deluded that her parents would ever put up with it if they found out (same deal as his dream of success at the end), but I have no context for how culturally accepted that kind of relation would be. It sounds like an overly improbable "crook has a brilliant scheme to seduce the rich heiress" type story to my ears, something that could never have a "happy" ending within the universe of the movie, not even getting into the fact that everyone involved has ulterior motives.

This actually got me thinking-- do the Parks view Ki-woo and Ki-jung as beneath them? They think that Ki-woo is an active university student and that Ki-jung is a college-educated professional. In their eyes wouldn't they be in a different league from the driver and housekeeper? What's the hierarchy at work here?