Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Pascal Maynard was a good opponent and a good player. It's sad to see him retire, but good on him for starting to figure out the rest of his life.

If you don't care you don't have to say anything, but the dude was ubiquitous in North American GPs for a few years and at least a few of us have played with him.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember it happening, though I didn't know he was the guy.

Let people mourn the end of a major phase of their lives however they choose.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ShaneB posted:

Y'all are being pretty lovely to a dude

ShaneB posted:

(he's Quebecois)

Justified

The goyf thing is great though. Every now and then I go back and have a chuckle about it.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

dragon enthusiast posted:

Pretty much all of the stupid decisions line up with when the new CEO took over. He got brought on to launch Arena successfully, which I guess it did, but at the expense of like every other aspect of the game.

He directly said he’d burn all brand equity to ship arena lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

born on a buy you posted:

He directly said he’d burn all brand equity to ship arena lol

Sorry that MTG has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

the 21st century of printing horribly broken cards and making a product that makes your cards valueless

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i swear to god nobody in this thread actually enjoys the game anymore

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

I am totally addicted to selling physical cards. I will not rest until they are all gone.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Paul Zuvella posted:

the 21st century of printing horribly broken cards and making a product that makes your cards valueless

If they do it right they can make more money on Arena on the F2P model than they ever did with physical cards plus no more having to deal with LGSes, broader appeal to the esports/mobile audience, and much stronger control over the market and the play environment in general.

The trick is milking as much money as possible out of the physical market before letting it die completely.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 11, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

That’s because when I do enjoy the game it is absolutely in spite of WotC’s best efforts these days

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's because when I'm enjoying the game I'm not posting on a forum. And when I'm posting on a forum, I'm supposed to be working.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

If they do it right they can make more money on Arena on the F2P model than they ever did with physical cards plus no more having to deal with LGSes, broader appeal to the esports/mobile audience, and much stronger control over the market and the play environment in general.

The trick is milking as much money as possible out of the physical market before letting it die completely.

the funny part is that paper magic revenue also went up according to that article

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

The people in this thread who actively post about playing the game (going to tournaments, playing at FNM) seem to like it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I still enjoy Magic, by in large to the fact that I only really play Limited in organized or online play anymore and keep constructed to kitchen table with other players who shares a card pool with me (or are forced to spend their own money to ultimately add cards to the pile)

I'll play in a format if there's a pet deck I fall in love with (Like R/G Revel and Mono-Black Aggro in Theros/Khans Standard or R/U Planeswalker Aggro in Pioneer) but for the most part I've lost the urge to play fifty reps against meta decks most people have pulled off the internet but don't actually know how to play and usually only poke my head in the first couple weeks after a new set goes live.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

"I don't know who this person is AND I need to tell you about it."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why do we play this imperfect game?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Because it’s still the best one.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm making the final touches to my cube (a Legacy-lite list, missing original duals) and I'm tempted to add the Conspiracy draft matters cards (namely Deal Broker and Lore Seeker, in a 375 card cube list). However, while they should be fun for the drafting portion, their actual bodies and rates are complete garbage; I'm thinking of errataing them to make them more playable.

My initial thoughts were to errata Deal Broker to being a 2 mana looter with maybe a smaller body, and to errata Lore Seeker to be either a 3/2, or to have haste, or something like Persist. I'm also wondering if there are any other cool keywords that could be used. Does anyone have any suggestions on how you'd change these cards to be less embarrassing in the gameplay portion of any given draft? I'm not sure if I should be as subtle as possible, or just wildly change the rate of these two cards.

edit: Cube list is here, still missing a good 20 or so cards (Midrange is garbage so my next goal is to make it less bad)

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Folks just won’t play them they’ll have enough playables

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

uggy posted:

Folks just won’t play them they’ll have enough playables

yeah I know that's the case, but I'd at least like to add more toys to specific archetypes such as reanimator (Broker would be a much better discard outlet at 2 mana) or Tinker/stax/Braids (Seeker as a persist 2-drop that you can welder back is cool) and not just waste 2 draft slots on gimmick cards.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

an_mutt posted:

I'm making the final touches to my cube (a Legacy-lite list, missing original duals) and I'm tempted to add the Conspiracy draft matters cards (namely Deal Broker and Lore Seeker, in a 375 card cube list). However, while they should be fun for the drafting portion, their actual bodies and rates are complete garbage; I'm thinking of errataing them to make them more playable.

My initial thoughts were to errata Deal Broker to being a 2 mana looter with maybe a smaller body, and to errata Lore Seeker to be either a 3/2, or to have haste, or something like Persist. I'm also wondering if there are any other cool keywords that could be used. Does anyone have any suggestions on how you'd change these cards to be less embarrassing in the gameplay portion of any given draft? I'm not sure if I should be as subtle as possible, or just wildly change the rate of these two cards.

I mean, these cards offer a subtle and powerful advantage IN the draft portion that is part of their power. The trade off is that you're not getting the most amazing actual card with it.

That said, Deal Broker is absolutely fine as a relevant sized body for it's cost as colorless with Looting tacked on for it- an effect three colors normally don't get ANY access to. A white drafter might take it just for the effect. Lore Seeker is a little more embarrassing to actually run but getting to first pick from a fresh cube pack is absolutely massive and this guy will be the third of fourth pick from virtually any pack regardless, especially later in the draft.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

dragon enthusiast posted:

the funny part is that paper magic revenue also went up according to that article

People actually get into paper magic because they were brought into or brought back into Magic by Arena. I meet players who tell me this all the time at the LGS.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really, really skeptical of the idea that the physical market will ever go away or be nonprofitable unless they either torpedo it on purpose or Magic itself is dying. People like stuff, and cards are the kind of stuff - perceived as collectible, small, fun (because there's a game and and expressive art), relatively cheap - that people like. They don't take up a lot of space compared to other games, hobbies, and collections, which makes them convenient for a society where people are increasingly mobile and trying to declutter.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

an_mutt posted:

yeah I know that's the case, but I'd at least like to add more toys to specific archetypes such as reanimator

Then add more reanimator cards to the appropriate colors. The good draft matters cards are already gaining the drafter notable advantages: Making them also playable of their own is problematic at best. Also, adding errata to cards is dumb.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are also still millions and millions of Magic players who do not own computers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm really, really skeptical of the idea that the physical market will ever go away or be nonprofitable unless they either torpedo it on purpose or Magic itself is dying. People like stuff, and cards are the kind of stuff - perceived as collectible, small, fun (because there's a game and and expressive art), relatively cheap - that people like.

Well they are doing things that make paper magic worse and its baffling.

1. Really hosed up competitive play at all levels. From your comp stuff in your local lgs all the way up to the pro tour. The current state of things is so much worse than 4 years ago. It doesn't make sense why they have hosed it up so bad as it was very healthy promotion for the game.

2. Instead of just printing promos people like for fnm they have hosed with it so many ways. FNM, the entry point for such a huge population of their customers. loving baffling.

3. Now with pioneer, you have 5 different formats that the rare gp in your area might be. Its too much.

4. There are now so many paper products coming out so often than we are already seeing negative effects. Nobody is certain where they can buy them, how much they will cost, and which format they are even going to be designed for.

5. Paper and Arena synergy seemed like the slam dunk easy way to get players into both for easy profit but WOTC went full greed. Paper packs into arena packs and vise versa could have been sweet and hugely profitable. But nah because some old fucks are out of touch and can't help themselves.

Almost forgot, threw judges to grifters who wanted to use them to make money and dissolved the judge program.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 12, 2020

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sickening posted:

1. Really hosed up competitive play at all levels. From your comp stuff in your local lgs all the way up to the pro tour. The current state of things is so much worse than 4 years ago. It doesn't make sense why they have hosed it up so bad as it was very healthy promotion for the game.

Considering that magic has done continually grown during this period, I think it's safe to say it's not nearly as vital to promoting the game as you (and many others) thought.

quote:

Paper packs into arena packs and vise versa could have been sweet and hugely profitable.

If anybody truly gave a gently caress Arena wouldn't be raking in cash.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm honestly just impressed that Arena is just Standard. I was wholly expecting it to be some weird gimmick format.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

King of Solomon posted:

I'm honestly just impressed that Arena is just Standard. I was wholly expecting it to be some weird gimmick format.

That was Duels of the Planeswalkers and see how that turned out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Considering that magic has done continually grown during this period, I think it's safe to say it's not nearly as vital to promoting the game as you (and many others) thought.

Arena was going to print money either way. Arena in its current state isn't exactly amazing as far as what it could be. Its pretty bare bones.

And you won't know what the damage will be from the paper fuckups for a while.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Crackbone posted:

A luxury hobby experiencing a boom during an accelerationist period after the worst recession since the 80s?

Must be the expert decisions made by the new CEO.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Quarterly reports paint an incomplete picture. It wasn't that long ago that BFZ was one of the best selling sets of all time and, at the time, Hasbro reported its success as totally because of the focus on the jacetice league. Investors ate it up. In truth, BFZ only sold because of the expeditions and the set sucked rear end. But also what followed were some of the worst years in the history of MtG, with Standard attendance getting so bad that WotC had to start giving out free booster packs to players and stores that had standard events.

Also Unsanctioned was planned as a "Parachute product" and it was just deployed. I don't claim to know why they chose to use it now or what that means for the future of the game, but I doubt they'd do it without a good reason*.

*Or they don't have a good reason and they're sacrificing a future asset for short term profit, which, honestly, is entirely possible and also paints a pretty bad picture.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I simultaneously like playing Magic and am aware that on some level I am addicted to it; most of the frustration I have with it comes when I realise it might be difficult if I had to stop playing. It is an uncomfortable thing to think about :(

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Probably the only business argument for keeping paper around assuming everything can get digitized and put on Arena is as a hedge against some sort of anti-lootbox legislation. That and they can double dip off people buying paper and digital. I suppose this was true during Magic Online's heydey but the UI and system was so held together with duct tape and string I doubt there was ever any serious consideration to ditch paper and go all digital.

I guarantee the execs at WOTC/Hasbro have had that conversation but I have no idea how it went.

edit: the costs of printing/keeping the LGS system afloat alone probably are many times the server/bandwidth costs of Arena for starters.

edit2: The really radical thing they could do is declare that draft boosters are in fact gambling, the secondary market is real, the reserved list is abolished, oh and also we are now going to directly sell singles for %MARKET_PRICE*0.8.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 12, 2020

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

WotC is excited to announce this year's lineup of events starting with Pro Tour: Nevada, followed by Pro Tour: Nevada and then World Championship 2021 to take place in Nevada.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PJOmega posted:

A luxury hobby experiencing a boom during an accelerationist period after the worst recession since the 80s?

Must be the expert decisions made by the new CEO.

Never said that. But point is if MtG is doing record settings years while they dismantle the Pro Tour, maybe the Pro Tour wasn't quite the business boon people wanted it to be.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GimmickMan posted:

WotC is excited to announce this year's lineup of events starting with Pro Tour: Nevada, followed by Pro Tour: Nevada and then World Championship 2021 to take place in Nevada.

You think WotC went away from the word "pro tour" because they thought they could lose a lawsuit over paying people wages if they are "professional"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GimmickMan posted:

Also Unsanctioned was planned as a "Parachute product" and it was just deployed. I don't claim to know why they chose to use it now or what that means for the future of the game, but I doubt they'd do it without a good reason*.

it does look lower effort than most sets, but what's this based on?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rinkles posted:

it does look lower effort than most sets, but what's this based on?

Rosewater talks about it in his mtg weekly article thing. Apparently it was created as an "emergency" product they could use if poo poo went sideways. It was literally codenamed "Parachute".

quote:

The business needed a Magic product that we could create and then save to deploy whenever we needed a product quickly. The idea was that it would be advantageous to spend time and energy now making a product so that in the future, if we ever needed something, we had it already made and ready to go. The project was codenamed Parachute as it was something we could pull the cord on to save us if we ever needed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

2. Instead of just printing promos people like for fnm they have hosed with it so many ways. FNM, the entry point for such a huge population of their customers. loving baffling.

3. Now with pioneer, you have 5 different formats that the rare gp in your area might be. Its too much.

4. There are now so many paper products coming out so often than we are already seeing negative effects. Nobody is certain where they can buy them, how much they will cost, and which format they are even going to be designed for.

5. Paper and Arena synergy seemed like the slam dunk easy way to get players into both for easy profit but WOTC went full greed. Paper packs into arena packs and vise versa could have been sweet and hugely profitable. But nah because some old fucks are out of touch and can't help themselves.

Almost forgot, threw judges to grifters who wanted to use them to make money and dissolved the judge program.

I think it's an inartful transition, but from what I can tell paper magic is being pushed more casual towards Commander and kitchen table stuff, MTGO is to give support for Modern and to a lesser extent pauper/legacy/vintage which are difficult to play elsewhere, and MTG Arena is going to be the future of competitive magic, especially once they get pioneer/historic rolling. The fact that they are finally developing drafts just further cements it.

Also I forgot about the whole Judge's Academy fiasco thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot what a complete poo poo show competitive paper had become.