Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Back in my helpdesk days, the ones who would outright lie boggled my mind.

I would remote in, see that it was probably just a "It's Windows XP, just reboot it" fix and inform them to do that.

They would then sit there for a minute and try the failing thing again, while I was still connected. "Nope, still not working"

At which point I would actually reboot it without warning and have them try again. Magically, it worked almost every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Back in my helpdesk days, the ones who would outright lie boggled my mind.

I would remote in, see that it was probably just a "It's Windows XP, just reboot it" fix and inform them to do that.

They would then sit there for a minute and try the failing thing again, while I was still connected. "Nope, still not working"

At which point I would actually reboot it without warning and have them try again. Magically, it worked almost every time.

Sounds like one of the people who thinks turning off their monitor is rebooting to me.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That's why you never use the word reboot, you tell them to power off and let it sit for 30 seconds for the electricity to come to a stop and then turn it back on again. They'll believe that, for some reason.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I once asked one of those people, if the monitor is the computer then what's the big beige tower under their desk. Apparently it's "The Box".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Litterbox posted:

I once asked one of those people, if the monitor is the computer then what's the big beige tower under their desk. Apparently it's "The Box".

That's the CPU. Duh!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Happy Litterbox posted:

Around here it's usually the "hard drive"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Telling them to "power cycle the 'CPU'" isn't the end of the world I guess

I long ago had to train myself out of telling people to "load <app>" because to me that meant "load <app> from floppy disk into RAM and then run <app>", but to them it meant "double click on <app> which is already loaded onto my hard disk from when I installed it"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

PBS posted:

Sounds like one of the people who thinks turning off their monitor is rebooting to me.

No, this was flat out lying.

Caught a couple of them out on it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ours would lie so much they finally put the last reboot time right on the desktop, bypassing whatever bullshit they might have.

To be fair to them some of my coworkers suck at their jobs too and will reboot any problem instead of actually looking at it first.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

duz posted:

That's why you never use the word reboot, you tell them to power off and let it sit for 30 seconds for the electricity to come to a stop and then turn it back on again. They'll believe that, for some reason.

I mean, giving the capacitors time to discharge means this isn't entirely wrong :v:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

duz posted:

Unfortunately with default Windows 10, this doesn't actually do what we all expect it to do. Powering down just hibernates the system, it doesn't even reset the uptime counter. To actually reset the contents of memory and give the system a fresh start, you have to select "reboot" from the power menu. I'm sure there's a setting or registry entry that can change this behavior though.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Re: slow PCS

When I started at a sister branch to the one I used to work at, I was forced to temporarily use a Win10 desktop that a coworker typically used. It took literally 2 minutes to open a blank Excel worksheet. Out of curiosity, I opened Task Manager and with nothing but that Excel instance open, it was at like 75% RAM usage and 80-something CPU. They had something like 2GB of RAM if I remember correctly.

All of the Win10 desktops at this company are plagued by the same problem. The CFO went out and bought 4GB RAM sticks for every last loving one of them, but I don't think it solved the CPU issue - which sounds an awful lot like it may be due to the lack of a dedicated GPU and forcing the graphics onto the integrated chipset.

As much as I WANT a Win10 laptop and Office 365 alongside 2013, I don't want these problems and am glad to have my 2010 Win7 Pro x64 laptop.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Data Graham posted:

I don't care how "and the name of that boss was Albert Einstein" they sound, stories like that sustain me

Me too.

Because at the end of the day it matters not that the stories happened or not because we will never be directly involved. Tell me a good story and I’ll be entertained and that is enough.

:)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Re: slow PCS

When I started at a sister branch to the one I used to work at, I was forced to temporarily use a Win10 desktop that a coworker typically used. It took literally 2 minutes to open a blank Excel worksheet. Out of curiosity, I opened Task Manager and with nothing but that Excel instance open, it was at like 75% RAM usage and 80-something CPU. They had something like 2GB of RAM if I remember correctly.

All of the Win10 desktops at this company are plagued by the same problem. The CFO went out and bought 4GB RAM sticks for every last loving one of them, but I don't think it solved the CPU issue - which sounds an awful lot like it may be due to the lack of a dedicated GPU and forcing the graphics onto the integrated chipset.

As much as I WANT a Win10 laptop and Office 365 alongside 2013, I don't want these problems and am glad to have my 2010 Win7 Pro x64 laptop.

If the laptop had 2GB of RAM it's less likely to be using the integrated GPU and more that the integrated GPU is on a core 2 duo.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

What do you guys say when one of your users tells you that a Windows 7 machine can't be upgraded and provides a KB on why? I have a system that is running Windows 7 embedded and there is no upgrade path for it other than buying a completely new system (it's a Tricaster video switcher for those that care). According to the Microsoft article, they will be providing support through October of this year for it, but that seems to fall on deaf ears.

It will be getting replaced before the October deadline with a non-Windows system, but in the meantime we are stuck on a separate network from the rest of the company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Treat those sorts of things as appliances and segregate them from the rest of the network. We have CNC routers that run Windows 7 and I don't want them domain joined, I don't want them receiving updates, I want them isolated and just accepting inbound connections from the department that needs to send jobs down to them. The vendor can manage all aspects of maintenance.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've even got a version of this at home due to an old InfiniTV card that really only works with Media Center. I guess I could update it to win 8.1 but... Ew.

Mostly waiting for the next cablecard device to finally be done, but its very much it will be done when it's done deal. To the point the products page has a big memo come up from the company CEO saying look we know people really want this but certification is stupid and slow.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

AlexDeGruven posted:

No, this was flat out lying.

Caught a couple of them out on it.

Ticket: my deskphone isn't working, my cell is X

I call and asked if it's plugged in, he says yes.

10 min walk to where he is and the cable is on the floor right next to the outlet.

I've never wanted to hit a user so bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If the laptop had 2GB of RAM it's less likely to be using the integrated GPU and more that the integrated GPU is on a core 2 duo.

Even with 4 gig (or 6? OP was unclear whether RAM was added or replaced) Win10 will be unhappy. I don’t do Win10 with less than 8 GB. We tried 4 GB on some laptops we were trying to be budget conscious with in 2018 - same model as regular production, just less RAM, no biometric sensor, and slightly slower i5 - and they were dismal until we bumped them up to 8 GB. Just Office, Outlook, and a VOIP softphone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

in this thread's opinion is it reasonable to expect someone who has taught music here for over a decade to know how to burn a loving cd in the year two thousand twenty

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

less than three posted:

10 min walk to where he is and the cable is on the floor right next to the outlet.

The worst part of the job is that you can’t get mad and yell at these time-wasting fuckheads, especially if you work for an MSP or outsourcer. Ask how I know (hint, I no longer work for an outsourcer. I may have gotten irritated at a new guy who decided that upgrading the OS on his Mac would be a brilliant thing to do, and broke several things that weren’t yet compatible. To be fair, I should have blacklisted the upgraded, but I was sort of new to system management, but I was having a bad day already and sort of blew my stack at him.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Weedle posted:

in this thread's opinion is it reasonable to expect someone who has taught music here for over a decade to know how to burn a loving cd in the year two thousand twenty

People still burn CDs?
(But yes, anyone who has used a computer in the last decade should know this. Also, it’s sobering to realize “the last decade” now means the 2010s. Oof. )

Edit: so maybe not? I mean, I think I stopped burning CDs in favor of just using my phone or streaming around 2010.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

The worst part of the job is that you can’t get mad and yell at these time-wasting fuckheads, especially if you work for an MSP or outsourcer. Ask how I know (hint, I no longer work for an outsourcer. I may have gotten irritated at a new guy who decided that upgrading the OS on his Mac would be a brilliant thing to do, and broke several things that weren’t yet compatible. To be fair, I should have blacklisted the upgraded, but I was sort of new to system management, but I was having a bad day already and sort of blew my stack at him.)

Yeah I just repeatedly looked at him, and the outlet back and forth.

I'm pretty sure he was just a dickhead who wanted someone to crawl on the floor and plug it in for them.

Let alone how it got unplugged in the first place. :iiam:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's just too easy to burn a cd now. They are expecting to have to run some cd-burner tool.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

People still burn CDs?
(But yes, anyone who has used a computer in the last decade should know this. Also, it’s sobering to realize “the last decade” now means the 2010s. Oof. )

Edit: so maybe not? I mean, I think I stopped burning CDs in favor of just using my phone or streaming around 2010.

We use CDs for accompaniment during stage shows in our PAC. This particular teacher does two every year, so she's sat there in her classroom and watched me go through the process on her PC right in front of her on a number of occasions. Last time I gently suggested that she go through the steps herself while I was there to help so she could learn and I might as well have asked her to perform a loving organ transplant on me. She's worked here for six years longer than I have so I don't know what the gently caress she did before I showed up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

taqueso posted:

It's just too easy to burn a cd now. They are expecting to have to run some cd-burner tool.

No doubt. Both the Mac and Windows basically treat it like a thumb drive until you eject it, basically. Easy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

No doubt. Both the Mac and Windows basically treat it like a thumb drive until you eject it, basically. Easy.

With the exception being that if you need audio tracks for a player that doesn't support mp3's

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

This particular teacher does two every year, so she's sat there in her classroom and watched me go through the process on her PC right in front of her on a number of occasions.
"Unfortunately I have a lot of project work on my plate and won't be able to come down there for a few days. I've attached some super simple instructions to this email that you can follow and get things done right away. Thanks!"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I am cced in an email where my boss has asked my on-prem Winows engineering colleagues (I'm Azure engineering, he just has me with them to back them up on some minor stuff) to provide reasons why AD is superior to other credential stores.

He has to present this to his boss and that guy's boss tomorrow.

In a Windows environment, the Windows engineering manager cannot shut that poo poo down conclusively by telling them "it's 30+ year old proven technology" or "the alternative is some custom LDAP bullshit". Either he can't, or he's not technically competent enough to do so and has to have his reports produce a defense of literally the backbone of the entire network

Welcome back to Big Corporate IT Department, me. Been a while, innit?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Even with 4 gig (or 6? OP was unclear whether RAM was added or replaced) Win10 will be unhappy. I don’t do Win10 with less than 8 GB. We tried 4 GB on some laptops we were trying to be budget conscious with in 2018 - same model as regular production, just less RAM, no biometric sensor, and slightly slower i5 - and they were dismal until we bumped them up to 8 GB. Just Office, Outlook, and a VOIP softphone.

I have 32GB on my desktop and it idles between 10 and 18 depending on what I'm doing. Right now it's literally just Chromium Edge with about 18 tabs.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

PremiumSupport posted:

Unfortunately with default Windows 10, this doesn't actually do what we all expect it to do. Powering down just hibernates the system, it doesn't even reset the uptime counter. To actually reset the contents of memory and give the system a fresh start, you have to select "reboot" from the power menu. I'm sure there's a setting or registry entry that can change this behavior though.

I believe this is the Fast Startup feature, you can disable it in the Define Power buttons menu (it's just a checkbox).

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

less than three posted:

This is when I come back to the office to relay to my coworkers that the solution was “cables have two ends”.

It’s more common than you think everyone. Most cables have a second end that goes somewhere. I’m hoping to have this finding published soon.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Doing support largely for college kids home internet I've learned to be extremely specific. "So if you look at your router, one end is plugged into the blue port labeled internet and the other end is running and plugged into the walljack, is that correct?"

I mean, as long as their giving an effort, still periodically get people who immediately say yes and then I force them to go get me information off the router or something and then suddenly it connects. "Okay, seems like you're working now, good bye"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a ticket came in:
hr is freaking out because a new employee entered their ssn wrong in their onboarding paperwork and it's messing up a bunch of stuff
they're going to have to completely remove the lady and make her redo the onboarding

personally I think they should rescind the job offer

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Data Graham posted:

I don't care how "and the name of that boss was Albert Einstein" they sound, stories like that sustain me

The only embellishment was maybe in the content of the bullshit insults she was throwing at me. poo poo like that is a big part of why I'm still in therapy.

Weedle posted:

I don't know what the gently caress she did before I showed up.

Speaking of my [redacted string of utter vitriol] former boss, she definitely pulled that poo poo on me repeatedly when I started working for that firm. We had an antiquated Avaya Merlin Magix system that she had been in charge of programming before they created an IT role and handed all that over to me. The documentation was poo poo, so I asked her if she could give me a warm hand-off so I could fix the documentation and know how to do it in the future.

She came uncunterated and told me if I didn't know how to do my job, she didn't know why they hired me in the first place.

Same bitch later told me that I spent too much time looking things up on Google and not enough time doing actual work, and then proceeded to check my internet logs for things that weren't work related and dressed me down for reading a feminist blog on my break because she didn't think it was work appropriate. gently caress. I need to stop writing about this and go smoke some weed before my anxiety starts spiking again.

Related, I drew these in my work clipboard while trying to unfuck the phone system.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Related, I drew these in my work clipboard while trying to unfuck the phone system.

These are gold

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Garrand posted:

Doing support largely for college kids home internet I've learned to be extremely specific. "So if you look at your router, one end is plugged into the blue port labeled internet and the other end is running and plugged into the walljack, is that correct?"

I mean, as long as their giving an effort, still periodically get people who immediately say yes and then I force them to go get me information off the router or something and then suddenly it connects. "Okay, seems like you're working now, good bye"
On the rare occasions that I'd get a caller for Xbox who'd have cabled it into their network rather than using wifi they'd be invariably know just enough to be pissy as gently caress, so I'd tell them that sometimes ISPs send out crossover or rollover cables and they're visually identical but also directional, so juuuuust to be sure let's switch ends to see if that fixes it even though, between you and me, it probably won't. Gave them the option of blaming their ISP for their own fuckup, and everyone knows ISPs are poo poo, right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PremiumSupport posted:

Garrand posted:

I believe this is the Fast Startup feature, you can disable it in the Define Power buttons menu (it's just a checkbox).

Thanks for this, I didn't know about any of this and it's another potential investigation point for the never-ending stream of "network problems" that are obviously not actually problems with the network.

EDIT:

Garrand posted:

The trick is not to ask yes/no questions. If you ask:

quote:

Is one end of the cable in the blue Internet port and the other end in a wall jack?

then they can just say yes without knowing, checking, or doing anything. There are only two possibilities and whichever they pick will be coherent. But if you ask:

quote:

Can you tell me what each end of the cable is plugged into?

then they have to generate an answer that makes sense. They could lie, of course, but most people won't, and moreover, won't know enough to generate a convincing lie. It will force them to go look, so they can describe the connections to your satisfaction.

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 12, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd tell them that sometimes ISPs send out crossover or rollover cables and they're visually identical but also directional, so juuuuust to be sure let's switch ends to see if that fixes it even though, between you and me, it probably won't. Gave them the option of blaming their ISP for their own fuckup, and everyone knows ISPs are poo poo, right?

Crossovers aren't directional but this is a brilliant way of getting them to make sure both ends are plugged in properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

With the exception being that if you need audio tracks for a player that doesn't support mp3's

Ah, point. I haven't made an audio disc in a very long time.

less than three posted:

Crossovers aren't directional but this is a brilliant way of getting them to make sure both ends are plugged in properly

Of course they're not, but users don't know that, do they?