Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Chaosfeather posted:

Too busy trying not to die in a way that somehow involves a dragon in the flashback of another game? Tis cool. Tis a good game.
You joke, but I fell back into Yugioh Duel Links and I mainly play Kaiba. There are a lot of dragons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJr1dTPSis

Including in flashbacks!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

You joke, but I fell back into Yugioh Duel Links and I mainly play Kaiba. There are a lot of dragons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJr1dTPSis

Including in flashbacks!

Kaiba was always the best character in that show. You don't watch YGO to see the main characters win. You watch to see how the hell Kaiba spent his money this time to be a massive rear end in a top hat in a new way.

What I'm saying is good choice.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Glad the LP isnt dead, especially as we get closer to the nonsense that is the actual stadiums
Cups.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

poll needs an option for "None of my favorite pokemon are gen 1 so it won't come up"

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I don't even remember what I voted anymore.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

As I said before I abstained from the vote because my favorite Pokemon is Snorlax and I knew the big guy was getting 4/5 minimum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 18: We're Finally Underway

And, after a two-month hiatus, we're finally back! We're stuck right in the middle of a lot of my least favorite parts of RBY, and putting it off for a little while turned into several months without an update. Anyways, where were we?

Oh, right, we're using Rockets as target practice for BIGGER BEN.

Silph Co. has eleven floors, and with the teleporters freely carrying you all over the place with no indication of where you end up, it's a complete pain in the rear end to navigate. This is especially true if you're trying to find everything. Good news is that almost every enemy is using some combination of Normal, Poison, and Electric-types, so even Rhyhorn can clean up with very little effort. (I also have a backpack full of Lemonade and five overleveled shitwreckers in case someone gets cheeky.)

The other good news is that if you know where to go, you can actually skip most of it.

Go straight to the fifth floor, then go west and south to this teleporter. Go through it, then go through it again.

Then, murder one Arbok and ta-da! You've got the Card Key! Now you can go to the third floor, use the warp tile right in the middle, and go straight to the good part! I've got a couple of things to grab first, but if you ever replay Gen 1 and you get tired of dealing with this poo poo, that's how you skip it.

There's also a lady who can heal your Pokemon behind the middle door on the 9th floor, and she's much easier to reach with the key than without. (Be careful, the Rocket guarding her has a Hypno.)

For me, the primary danger here is actually getting too much XP. A couple careless level-ups could leave someone ineligible for use against Sabrina, which would be a pain. So, most of the battles just consist of me stuffing soft drinks and Max Elixirs into BIGGER BEN and letting him carve me a bloody path through anyone dumb enough to be unskippable.

While I'm here on the 5th floor, I open the door and grab another Take Down TM, just for completion's sake.

A lady in the northwest corner of the 2nd gives us TM36, Selfdestruct. Almost everything that wants to use this learns it on its own, but if I ever want to deal the maximum amount of raw damage possible without using Mew, a Snorlax critting with this is the way to do it. Against the right wall on the 7th is TM03, Swords Dance. We'll be saving this one for somebody special. (It's Kabutops. We're saving it for Kabutops.)

Way up on the 10th is a Rocket with a Machoke that's at a decent level for when you're supposed to be here, guarding a Rare Candy and a TM.

The Rare Candy is nice, but that TM? That's Earthquake. :getin:

There's a bunch of other stuff, but nothing else that I can't just buy, so we're moving onto the most important part of this update.

Getting deservedly roasted by Fasslp. :iceburn:

Even a 10 level advantage can't save Pidgeot from BIGGER BEN. THE BOY takes care of Exeggcute, Gyarados, and Alakazam, and BEN comes back in to show why having a 4x weakness is a bad idea.

Fasslp is even something resembling nice and tells us good luck agains the ROCKET BOSS and not to sweat it. :unsmith:

My prize for not abandoning the LP is Lapras!

Lapras
Viability: 4/5
There's a lot to like about Lapras. Water/Ice gives it a niche over the deluge of available Water-types, as well as decent stats, and extremely solid defenses of 130/80/95, only hindered somewhat by Ice being a terrible secondary typing for taking hits on. That typing is used very well offensively, however, as Lapras learns Ice Beam by level-up, as well as Body Slam (coming off a respectable 85 Attack!), Sing, Confuse Ray, and Hydro Pump. As you've probably noticed by now, needing zero TMs to function is a trait I absolutely love to see in a Pokemon. 60 Speed isn't quite glacial (:haw:), but it and a not-quite-stellar 95 Special on the offense keep Lapras away from the 5/5 I really wish I could give it.

Respect to this guy for still trying his damnedest to stop us right before we get to Giovanni. I let TUBE use his Pokemon as chew toys, but props for trying.

Giovanni's got some respectable Pokemon, held back by mediocre movepools. We went over Kangaskhan last update, and Nidoqueen's got Body Slam, but without any Ground or Special moves, there's nothing stopping me from styling on him by soloing his whole team with an underleveled Rhyhorn.

You know the drill from here. Get the Mas-

poo poo.

Dump a useless TM, get the Master Ball, drop some items off in the PC because my bag's full, then off to Sabrina's gym to finish up the update.

Top left, bottom left, bottom left. I have had my fill of teleporters for one game.

Sabrina is the only leader with a weakness we can't easily exploit, and trying to use an underleveled BIGGER BEN for style points doesn't go quite as well as it did with Giovanni.

BRDBRDBRD styles on her instead.

Our prize is TM46, Psywave, the first move to ever be banned in official tournaments. Because the formula for how much damage you deal when using Psywave is different from the one how much damage you take when being on the receiving end of a Psywave, using it in cartridge PVP has a small chance to cause a desync, potentially a major one if one player's game says it should be a knockout and the other's doesn't.

Like so many other Gen 1 glitches, it's fixed in Stadium, where it's just an unreliable attack that deals a random amount of damage between 1 damage and 1.5x the user's level. That's, on average, 33% less than Seismic Toss. Not worth using as a move, but a fun bit of Pokemon trivia.

That wasn't so bad. Why was I making such a big deal out of updating?

Oh. Right.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: I do not like Seafoam Island!

Complete Available Roster
5.0:
4.5:
4.0:
3.5:
3.0:
2.5:
2.0:
1.5:
1.0:
Other:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 16, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yay, this is back!

I did not know that Psywave trivia but I can't even be surprised at this point. Gen 1 sure is Gen 1.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
BIGGER BEN sure has some style :c00lbert:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

it must be cathartic bringing these super pokemon and wrecking everything

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Our prize is TM46, Psywave, the first move to ever be banned in official tournaments. Because the formula for how much damage you deal when using Psybeam is different from the one how much damage you take when being on the receiving end of a Psybeam, using it in cartridge PVP has a small chance to cause a desync, potentially a major one if one player's game says it should be a knockout and the other's doesn't.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
No one uses cute lil' Omanyte :saddowns:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

No one uses cute lil' Omanyte :saddowns:

No sword arms no sale

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

WrightOfWay posted:

No sword arms no sale

This right here baby. The best mons are either extremely fluffy or can behead you if you piss them off enough. Omanyte/Omastar is neither. :colbert:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Excuse me, Omanyte turns into an Eldritch abomination after evolving. But cute and travel sized

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Slaan posted:

BIGGER BEN sure has some style :c00lbert:
I love him already.

Fixed, thank you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah Silph Co., 11 floors of gently caress all that took an hour of recording to get through, they don't make dungeons like these anymore, I tell ya what!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Ah Silph Co., 11 floors of gently caress all that took an hour of recording to get through, they don't make dungeons like these anymore, I tell ya what!

I respect it as a sprawling climax dungeon despite its tedium. pokemon dungeon design has never been great but itd be fun if they tried a large gently caress you dungeon one more time.

Maybe make it 6 floors instead, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How painful silph co is depends on if you know where the card key and resting point are going in.

If you do it's a bunch of mini dungeons you can optionally clear.
If you don't it's a disgusting maze of teleporters that you'll be lost in forever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PMush Perfect posted:

A lady in the northwest corner of the 2nd gives us TM36, Selfdestruct. Almost everything that wants to use this learns it on its own, but if I ever want to deal the maximum amount of raw damage possible, a Snorlax critting with this is the way to do it.

This is not quite true, because Mew can learn Swords Dance and Explosion. Self-Destruct and Explosion are stupid powerful in Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, I remember using them to get through most of the cups.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chamale posted:

This is not quite true, because Mew can learn Swords Dance and Explosion. Self-Destruct and Explosion are stupid powerful in Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, I remember using them to get through most of the cups.
That's true!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
When I was a very young child, I for some reason thought that fighting trainers was a *bad* thing (I genuinely do not remember what my logic for this was), so I always skipped as much as I could.

These days, I'm quite the opposite. Skipping *anything* in a game like this is nothing less than wasted exp and money. Everything must die. No one will be spared my wrath. Especially since, being a habitual roleplayer in games and forums, I tend to get into the head of the character I'm playing. And my Pokemon trainer *hates* Team Rocket with a burning passion. So yeah, skipping anybody in Silph is kind of a sin for me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

rannum posted:

I respect it as a sprawling climax dungeon despite its tedium. pokemon dungeon design has never been great but itd be fun if they tried a large gently caress you dungeon one more time.

Maybe make it 6 floors instead, though.

Sir this is a Blue thread, you're looking for the Mystery Dungeon one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FoolyCharged posted:

How painful silph co is depends on if you know where the card key and resting point are going in.

If you do it's a bunch of mini dungeons you can optionally clear.
If you don't it's a disgusting maze of teleporters that you'll be lost in forever.
My biggest revelation for "how to clear this all and not get lost" was when I realized that you don't actually have to take any teleporters. It's way slower, but more methodical and easier to navigate.

BlazetheInferno posted:

When I was a very young child, I for some reason thought that fighting trainers was a *bad* thing (I genuinely do not remember what my logic for this was), so I always skipped as much as I could.

These days, I'm quite the opposite. Skipping *anything* in a game like this is nothing less than wasted exp and money. Everything must die. No one will be spared my wrath. Especially since, being a habitual roleplayer in games and forums, I tend to get into the head of the character I'm playing. And my Pokemon trainer *hates* Team Rocket with a burning passion. So yeah, skipping anybody in Silph is kind of a sin for me.
Exclamation mark above head = bad, Metal Gear Solid knew this

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Excuse me, Omanyte turns into an Eldritch abomination after evolving. But cute and travel sized

Twitch ruined your pokemon. I'm sorry.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
...Well, that doesn't look right. What on earth happened to that second digit?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yapping Eevee posted:

...Well, that doesn't look right. What on earth happened to that second digit?

I assume that's a manual correction of a screenshot that was taken too early. Note that the exclamation point is also different.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheMcD posted:

I assume that's a manual correction of a screenshot that was taken too early. Note that the exclamation point is also different.
Bingo. Normally when I gently caress up, I just go back and retake it, or use some simple image editing to fake it, but... :effort:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Requesting you create a pokemon romhack where you draw the font yourself.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

MR. J posted:

Twitch ruined your pokemon. I'm sorry.

I'm scared to ask for clarification

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm scared to ask for clarification

Twitch Plays Pokemon built a religion around the Helix fossil/Omanyte back when that was a thing and it got memed to death

https://churchofthehelixchoir.bandcamp.com/

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Religion? That's scarier than I thought

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MR. J posted:

Requesting you create a pokemon romhack where you draw the font yourself.
It'll go along nicely with my drawings of the Pokemon.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
Hey, is this thread still alive? Hopefully so

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It is, I'm just procrastinating even harder on Seafoam Islands than I was on the Safari Zone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

It is, I'm just procrastinating even harder on Seafoam Islands than I was on the Safari Zone.

The Seafoam Islands are a really bad dungeon so I can't blame you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The seafoam islands are just a giant boring walk with some excessively drawn out simple puzzles. Because if you don't use repel it's the exact same thing with minute long random encounters inserted every 3 steps.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I spent so much time on those strength puzzles as a kid

on the bright side: best bird!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Articuno is... interesting. I’ll be going into it, it has some very good and extremely unique qualities, no doubt about that.

It’s also the prettiest of the three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm pretty sure we all love Articuno for that spoilered bit. It sure as hell isn't great in combat, what with the crippling 4x Rock weakness coupled with all the other weaknesses that come with having the worst type in the game.