Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
This may be an odd request but are there any podcasts that go into mythology about angels and other divine messengers? I'm not interested in anything that's just preachy sermons but there might be something that talks about angels, their roles in myths, their names and functions etc.

Thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Warbird posted:

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask, but I figure one of you ought to know.

I'm trying to find a method to add a podcast hosted on archive.org to my podcast client (Overcast). It's an older show and doesn't appear to be listed on any of the modern platforms, so I need to add it manually via RSS. I think I can get the RSS needed via archive.org's advanced search function but haven't been able to do so thus far. Has anyone more familiar with the platform than myself done something like this before?

I find it odd that archive.org hosts podcasts but doesn't provide any RSS, so it must exist somehow...

But anyway, you can view source of the page and get all the URLs to the audio files and their names e.g.

code:
<div itemprop="hasPart" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/AudioObject">
        <meta itemprop="name" content="This Year #S6: Sampler 2013">
        <meta itemprop="duration" content="PT0M25660S">

<link itemprop="associatedMedia" href="https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.ogg">
                  <link itemprop="associatedMedia" href="https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.mp3">
              </div>
Then just put together a XML podcast file and host it somewhere temporarily.

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <link>http://whatever.com/podcasts/</link>
    <title>This Year Collection</title>
    <description>this is my nice description</description>
    <item>
      <title>This Year #S6: Sampler 2013</title>
      <description>foo</description>
      <pubDate>Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:00:00 +08:00</pubDate>
      <enclosure url="https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.mp3" />
      <guid>https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.mp3</guid>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>...</title>
      <description>...</description>
      <pubDate>...</pubDate>
      <enclosure url="..." />
      <guid>...</guid>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Awesome, thank you! My understanding is that you can get XML as a result if you use the advanced search, but I didn’t have much in the way of luck getting it to play nice. I had jury rigged up a solution using Plex, but this would be way better.

Edit:
Took longer than it should have, but I got everything put together. Turns out GitHub is a perfectly acceptable home for this sort of thing so now I can piddle with it as I see fit. Might be nice to suss out how to get actual art and whatnot included on the "feed".

Warbird fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 23, 2020

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apologies if this is off-topic but I've found that for some reason I can't download podcasts that are hosted by Libsyn at home. The app just hangs up and the download doesn't initiate. I confirmed that I get no connection if I try to browser over to traffic.libsyn.com.

It works when I drop wifi or connect to any other network so I have no idea why this random postcast host became blocked on my home network.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There's a home networking thread in SHSC that might be able to help you.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So did somebody find out what the mystery hair growth thing is from the possibly crazy person in the latest episode of reply all?
Asking for a friend.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

mrfart posted:

So did somebody find out what the mystery hair growth thing is from the possibly crazy person in the latest episode of reply all?
Asking for a friend.
Haven't listened to it but crazy + hair growth = morgellons, maybe?

edit: Okay it's some software guy who thinks he found a food that regrows your hair (or he says makes you healthier in general, including regrowing your hair), but yeah I think either it's a blip due to who knows what or maybe he has some cycling disorder or thought/delusional disorder or something. Or he's just doing the setup for a scam. My only guess was some bizarre fish's eggs or something.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 30, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

pangstrom posted:

Haven't listened to it but crazy + hair growth = morgellons, maybe?

edit: Okay it's some software guy who thinks he found a food that regrows your hair (or he says makes you healthier in general, including regrowing your hair), but yeah I think either it's a blip due to who knows what or maybe he has some cycling disorder or thought/delusional disorder or something. Or he's just doing the setup for a scam. My only guess was some bizarre fish's eggs or something.

It would be funny if i was a scam and they unwittingly helped him scam their own listeners.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah when he was like "I can't afford a supply myself so I'm still losing hair" and "can I get you to send out my email" that's when I thought "oh it's probably a scam". But maybe they kicked the tires a little before publishing, one of those guys is pretty street-smart (and the other very much isn't, I forget who is who).

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I cannot believe they put that guy on the show. He's either schizophrenic or a scammer or both

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I haven't listened to the episode but it sounds pretty off-brand for Reply All to genuinely have any kind of "try this one weird trick" person on the show.

e: Is it possible they're trying to test their audience with a fake scam, and they're going to follow up on it later?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Guy absolutely sounded like a scammer it was odd they gave him a platform

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I haven't listened to the episode but it sounds pretty off-brand for Reply All to genuinely have any kind of "try this one weird trick" person on the show.

e: Is it possible they're trying to test their audience with a fake scam, and they're going to follow up on it later?

No, that's really not possible. Or, if they did, it's such a massive violation of audience trust that I can't even fathom it not blowing up in their face.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Listening to first contact.
It's an interesting podcast, with topics similar to sleepwalkers, reset or maybe darknet diaries.
'hacking your brain' and 'bots to date' where pretty good.
But the hosts voice is a bit annoying for me. That's probably just me.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

mike12345 posted:

Are there literary podcasts where a bunch of people talk about current bestsellers, but more in a lighthearted/banter way? Like "I don't even own a a television", for example. Spectology fits the bill, but is for scifi only.

Try http://www.frowl.org/worstbestsellers/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there a thread for Critical Role on the forums? I just manages to catch up after like 6 months of binging them at work.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850885

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I really enjoyed the newest episode of Inside the Black Box, I really like his style of presenting the information and explaining the crash, reminds me somewhat of the casefiles guy

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Do it ironically posted:

I really enjoyed the newest episode of Inside the Black Box, I really like his style of presenting the information and explaining the crash, reminds me somewhat of the casefiles guy

Yeah, as someone who has watched every episode of Mayday, I really dig his delivery and style. Even if I know what happened in a particular Incident, I always pick up new stuff and the way he tells the story is always gripping.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, as someone who has watched every episode of Mayday, I really dig his delivery and style. Even if I know what happened in a particular Incident, I always pick up new stuff and the way he tells the story is always gripping.

Mayday, or air crash investigations as it’s called here, is still one of my wife’s favorite shows. Pretty much the only thing we watch on NG. I’ll give this a listen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Good punk podcasts other than Going off Track and Turned Out A Punk?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 11, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What exactly is talked about in a punk podcast? I love punk rock but I've never found music podcasts to be great as they often can't play songs due to licensing costs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What exactly is talked about in a punk podcast? I love punk rock but I've never found music podcasts to be great as they often can't play songs due to licensing costs.

Road stories, formative experiences, etc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any recommendations for informative podcasts where the experts are allowed to talk at length without interjections, cuts to music, voiceovers from the hosts paraphrasing what the actually interesting person is saying? I love In Our Time for example, but it's necessarily brief, and Bragg sometimes plays a bigger role than he should.

Essentially...I guess I'm looking for a condensed lecture format rather than an interview style podcast. I enjoyed the Reith lecture series for example.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Road stories, formative experiences, etc.

Not really a punk podcast per se, but "I don't even own a television" recently reviewed Rollins' "Get in the Van", about his time in Black Flag, touring, etc. It's pretty funny, check it out if you haven't yet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Chas McGill posted:

Any recommendations for informative podcasts where the experts are allowed to talk at length without interjections, cuts to music, voiceovers from the hosts paraphrasing what the actually interesting person is saying? I love In Our Time for example, but it's necessarily brief, and Bragg sometimes plays a bigger role than he should.

Essentially...I guess I'm looking for a condensed lecture format rather than an interview style podcast. I enjoyed the Reith lecture series for example.

I, with caution, suggest Ologies with Alie Ward. There is no music and not too many interjections from the host while you learn about a lot of different things.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

TV Zombie posted:

I, with caution, suggest Ologies with Alie Ward. There is no music and not too many interjections from the host while you learn about a lot of different things.

Why caution? I like learning things?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Snowmankilla posted:

Why caution? I like learning things?

It doesn't exactly fit with what you want. Depending the subject, the host will interject herself more into the conversation and even pause to interject a note. Sometimes these interjections can be quite frequent so it doesn't exactly fit the lecture style that you are aiming for.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Chas McGill posted:

Either a) check out moocs from edx or coursera, I think you can dl the videos as mp3 and pretend it's a podcast, or b) listen to audiobooks about a topic you like. I don't mean to sound patronising by suggesting audiobooks, it's just what I started doing when some podcast topics were too brief.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's also The Great Courses, which are pretty easy to :filez:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

This isn't being done anymore but I think these still work: http://dissonance.libsyn.com/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TV Zombie posted:

Seconding the Ologies recommendation, it’s a fun show with a good back catalog and interesting guests.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Two questions:

A) Is there a Last Podcast on the Left thread?

B) Because they're going to Spotify starting today, are they killing the RSS feed? Spotify doesn't alert me when a new episode is available like Pocket Casts does for me, so I'd prefer to keep using Pocket Casts to listen to it like I have been for like 2 years.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I don't believe there is a thread.

And yes, their RSS feed is going dead, if it hasn't already done so. I have the same problem with Spotify and I would love to know how to fix it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Azathoth posted:

And yes, their RSS feed is going dead, if it hasn't already done so. I have the same problem with Spotify and I would love to know how to fix it.
Goddamnit :smith:

Thanks for the answer.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, it's dead. I found out yesterday that they were planning to keep the Patreon RSS feed going, but Spotify made them kill it as well.

I'm not a fan of the move. The only way to download episodes now is to install the Spotify mobile app; you can't use the desktop version to download it unless you have wifi to link it to the mobile app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can't wait for podcast piracy to really take off.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Can't wait for podcast piracy to really take off.
I can't believe the medium that consisted of single dudes breathing into mics in their bathrooms in 2005 has blown the frik up in this way. It's so surreal. Review us on podcast alley!
I have a feeling services like Luminary will be part of a bursted bubble and Google/youtube will scope up the remains.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I can't believe the medium that consisted of single dudes breathing into mics in their bathrooms in 2005 has blown the frik up in this way. It's so surreal. Review us on podcast alley!
I have a feeling services like Luminary will be part of a bursted bubble and Google/youtube will scope up the remains.

Is Luminary still NA and Australia (?) only? History on Fire moved to Luminary, and now I can't listen to it anymore. So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's dead. I found out yesterday that they were planning to keep the Patreon RSS feed going, but Spotify made them kill it as well.

I'm not a fan of the move. The only way to download episodes now is to install the Spotify mobile app; you can't use the desktop version to download it unless you have wifi to link it to the mobile app.

I at least appreciate the explanation they gave, and that they're using the money to pay their employees a living wage.

I just really wish that they hadn't picked the company with the worst possible app for podcasts. I mean, they apparently want to be serious about podcasts while their app literally doesn't have a way to notify users of new episodes. I get that it probably isn't a big deal for music, but that's like the only purpose of a podcast app.