Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rhonne posted:

What if Deku...is a nomu! He has cool shoes just like Johnny and that other tiny nomu in the lab! :tinfoil:

Ah, I think I heard about this in the Tale of Darth Fatwood the Wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I think if Deku did have a stolen Quirk, it would have to be something world-shattering to the point that OfA is the lesser choice.

And Shigaraki has it now, but can't use it yet because his power transfer is about to be interrupted before it's complete. He'll have to learn how to activate it on his own, just like Deku is learning all of OfA's latent powers. Because the ultimate villain is a dark mirror of the hero, you see.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I could be down for the whole Deku having a quirk but it just being a low key useful one that was stolen for versatility.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If he had a quirk it was probably psychokinesis of nearby fire, an excellent counter to Endeavor.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's this. The problem is that it's bad no matter which way it falls.

Deku's Former Quirk was minor: why bother? what does this add? if it was stolen, why even take it?

Deku's Former Quirk was major: oh the underdog was actually super powerful from birth, he just didn't know until later, so we Naruto now

I am not the writer of the series so it's not really my job to make it interesting. Ultimately it in itself won't be what makes it interesting, context of how it is revealed and the manner in which it is revealed is what can make it interesting.

Is it going to be thematically super important that Deku had a quirk? Probably not.

Can it be a plot device for something interesting? Maybe.

I think what will sink it is that it is a false positive idea where unless I am right, will never actually get commented on it addressed.

But if not in this arc, then I reckon never.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This story is way more interesting with Deku as an unfortunate kid whose parents' gifts passed him over, but if there has to be a Quirk, I hope it doesn't have anything to do with fire. It just feels like a typical main character power, though oddly enough, the first characters who came to mind were Sasuke and Hiei, who are technically main characters, but not in the way I thought of.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

M_Gargantua posted:

If he had a quirk it was probably psychokinesis of nearby fire, an excellent counter to Endeavor.

Fire Breath+telekinetic pull/gravitational pull=Fire "Breathing", the ability to breath in fire as if it were air.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I dunno why so many of you are against Deku having his original quirk stolen, I personally like the idea.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

dazoner posted:

I dunno why so many of you are against Deku having his original quirk stolen, I personally like the idea.

It’s deeply unnecessary and kinda ruins the thematic idea of Deku’s arc. He was a young boy born with no power but a deeply heroic heart and saying “Psyche! You actually were born with powers!” would undermine that while gaining nothing but cheap drama.

It would be like if Captain America had actually been secretly buff before he received the super serum.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dazoner posted:

A lot of the story hinges on the fact that Deku was born quirkless, incapable of ever reaching his dream, worse than everyone else by society's standards. It's why his relationship with Bakugo is what it is (Deku idolized the young Kacchan that could do anything and had a super powerful Quirk, Kacchan saw
Deku as an useless poo poo because he had no Quirk), it's why Deku looks up to every hero and wildly collects information, it's why Deku and All Might bond with each other (both his courage in acting even without any capability to defend himself, and the fact that Toshinori was once Quirkless himself).

Him having a Quirk that was taken from him shatters all of this. And let's be honest here: this is a shonen. If Horikoshi pulls that twist, it'll be with an incredibly powerful mutated Quirk, not with fire breathing or telekinesis. And at that point what makes Midoriya Izuku charming disappears completely.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also, can you steal a quirk that hasn't manifested yet? And when it does appear, it's pretty noticeable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Somewhat off the subject but in cases like Toga, I’ve always wondered how the person found out they had a quirk in the first place when it requires other people in order to work.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 11, 2020

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It is funny that having no quirk is seen as a big deal when the people of this universe have access to crazy technology that honestly surpasses a lot of quirks.
A quirkless person who learns to use a fancy Aizawa battle-scarf is still more powerful than a person with a lame or even mid-level quirk.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

Somewhat off the subject but In cases like Toga, I’ve always wondered how the person found out they had a quirk in the first place when it requires other people in order to work.

Part of her quirk seems to be a thirst for the blood of whoever she’s got a crush on, so she probably found out about the effects after biting someone

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Do the toes of people whose Quirks were taken change to look like toes of people without Quirks to begin with?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Libra posted:

It is funny that having no quirk is seen as a big deal when the people of this universe have access to crazy technology that honestly surpasses a lot of quirks.
A quirkless person who learns to use a fancy Aizawa battle-scarf is still more powerful than a person with a lame or even mid-level quirk.

Hell, one of the main characters in Vigilantes is technically quirkless but he trained his body so much that it doesn’t really matter much as far as his combat ability is concerned.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Hell, one of the main characters in Vigilantes is technically quirkless but he trained his body so much that it doesn’t really matter much as far as his combat ability is concerned.

He's also hopped up on painkillers, which probably helps when you jump on buildings into piles of trash.

Also, he's probably dead by now. :smith:

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 11, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Libra posted:

This is like saying you only need to become an MMA champion, Olympic level athlete or trained sniper to surpass someone who can set people on fire as easily as brushing their teeth in the morning.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Libra posted:

'cause everything a quirkless person can do, someone else can do plus whatever their quirk lets them do.
Hell, that's p much the entire point of Aizawa and Shinso.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Right, but most characters in the spotlight are people with good quirks suitable for being a hero/villain, while I get the impression that the "average" quirk is something like the ability to manipulate gravy or the power to insert a USB device the right side up every time or possibly the power to resemble a walrus.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

A lot of the story hinges on the fact that Deku was born quirkless, incapable of ever reaching his dream, worse than everyone else by society's standards. It's why his relationship with Bakugo is what it is (Deku idolized the young Kacchan that could do anything and had a super powerful Quirk, Kacchan saw
Deku as an useless poo poo because he had no Quirk), it's why Deku looks up to every hero and wildly collects information, it's why Deku and All Might bond with each other (both his courage in acting even without any capability to defend himself, and the fact that Toshinori was once Quirkless himself).

Him having a Quirk that was taken from him shatters all of this. And let's be honest here: this is a shonen. If Horikoshi pulls that twist, it'll be with an incredibly powerful mutated Quirk, not with fire breathing or telekinesis. And at that point what makes Midoriya Izuku charming disappears completely.

It doesn’t materially change anything, because all of Dekus issues stem from growing up without a quirk, not being born quirkless. And since we’re talking about the possibility of having his quirk stolen at an early age, those are different scenarios.

I’m not saying I totally buy the stolen quirk scenario, but I don’t think the argument you’re making here works. Whether it’s natural quirklessness or having it stolen, Dekus problem is just not having a quirk his whole life. It doesn’t matter why he doesn’t have a quirk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Libra posted:

Right, but most characters in the spotlight are people with good quirks suitable for being a hero/villain, while I get the impression that the "average" quirk is something like the ability to manipulate gravy or the power to insert a USB device the right side up every time or possibly the power to resemble a walrus.

somewhere out there is a boy who can control the speed at which lobsters die

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Libra posted:

We've seen plenty of "average" Quirks, so we don't need hypothetical examples. Like that guy at the very start who's Quirk was having fleshy spikes(??) on the side of his head. Or All Might's science buddy David Shield and his amazing Quirk of having fingers that are really bendy. They might as well be Quirkless for all the difference it wouldn't really make, but they're still ostensibly considered to be better regardless.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I should really read more of MHA: Smash https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1224789828421570560

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Larryb posted:

True, but he used to have a Quirk and lost it somehow.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Libra posted:

I was under the impression that most Quirks were capable of being powerful, it's that just most people didn't really train them.

Mirio's quirk was unremarkable at first and he turned it into Phantom Menace. Same for Suneater, at first he could only make tiny body parts sprout.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JahRoo posted:

It doesn’t materially change anything, because all of Dekus issues stem from growing up without a quirk, not being born quirkless. And since we’re talking about the possibility of having his quirk stolen at an early age, those are different scenarios.

I’m not saying I totally buy the stolen quirk scenario, but I don’t think the argument you’re making here works. Whether it’s natural quirklessness or having it stolen, Dekus problem is just not having a quirk his whole life. It doesn’t matter why he doesn’t have a quirk.

I still think it changes some of the themes behind Deku's arc and also would undercut the scene in the first episode where he's asking his mom if he can still be a hero. Like, sure, it doesn't change the letter of the story, but it does absolutely change the spirit

It'd be a much better reveal for Horikoshi's original concept where Deku remains quirkless but ends up with a bunch of gadgets or whatever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Even if Deku had a Quirk that was stolen, it's not like he's getting it back.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I don't see how Deku having powers stolen from him undermines any of his personal arc. The stuff with him not having a quirk is still him not having a quirk. He still had his dreams crushed and pushed on to be heroically idealistic despite no quirk. That it was because someone took it away from him just makes Doctor War Crimes have a more personal, intimate bit of antagonism towards our Protagonist.

I also don't see the point of bringing back the same doctor who checked out Deku as a super bad guy just for...coincidence's sake. That's a pretty deep thread to not tug.

And I'm sure, if it does turn out to be a stolen quirk, Deku will have some angst about it but will come to realize that it was a blessing in disguise because it let him grow into the person he is now, the successor of All Might, when he might not have before. The League of Evil hoisted by their own petard.

A cool interpretation of the potential fire breathing + telekinesis would just be thermokinesis. Control of temperatures. Deku could've been what Endeavor committed horrible domestic violence for all along!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm imagining an endgame scenario where Deku gives OfA to whoever, and has to save the day quirkless while the whoever else (probably Bakugou) handles some super huge crisis throughout the city.

There's gotta be a moment where quirkless Deku has to save the day on his own.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Hunt11 posted:

I could be down for the whole Deku having a quirk but it just being a low key useful one that was stolen for versatility.

It’s the same quirk Deku’s mom has, so AfO has an easier time picking up his dropped keys and remotes that are too far out of reach.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Here's one angle they could do to give that twist material value. What if EVERYBODY born quirkless in the latest generation was born with powers and had them stolen? It shows how much power AfO and the Doctor has over the world, and means that we could be closer to Singularity than we thought.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I also don't see the point of bringing back the same doctor who checked out Deku as a super bad guy just for...coincidence's sake. That's a pretty deep thread to not tug.

It's not a coincidence. Of course Deku goes to the same doctor as his dad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did anyone ever get around to writing that super-obvious "Deku has pyrokinesis" fanfiction?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Did anyone ever get around to writing that super-obvious "Deku has pyrokinesis" fanfiction?

from what i understand of mha fanfiction there are stories giving that kid literally every power under the sun, i'm sure you can find something if you look

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let me rephrase. Did anyone ever write good "Deku has pyrokinesis" fanfiction?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ah, well, there's the rub, isn't it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have seen cute fan art about the idea but that is it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I read a pretty good one where he still has a bunch of issues and his friendship with Bakugo is still terrible. The basic gist is that he has to slingshot fire around his body for it to really do anything, and he can’t produce his own so for their entire life since this quirk was discovered Bakugo still thinks he’s a weak leech who needs Bakugo to do anything.

Because Bakugo can produce flames for Izuku to manipulate see. Izuku ends up in general studies because he’s got no combat capabilities without a source of fire and the source he brings is just not enough to make the grade even with some robot kills under his belt. He then proceeds to go absolutely off the rails in the Sports Festival, throwing the giant flames around the edges of the arena during the fighting bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku has the ability to draw fire to himself, but he doesn't have any fire immunity so he just sets himself on fire like that Human Torch parody from Venture Bros.