Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

okay yes yes but theres a difference between a lie about some software dsp that actually does change the audio in some way (even if it doesnt make it necessarily better) and "aluminum case = better sound"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

okay yes yes but theres a difference between a lie about some software dsp that actually does change the audio in some way (even if it doesnt make it necessarily better) and "aluminum case = better sound"

this is actually a good point yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1227308701041729539?s=20

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1227308321247498241

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they're launching it with no early review units sent out so no one can find out they break the first time you close them like last time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

they're launching it with no early review units sent out so no one can find out they break the first time you close them like last time

I would guess that by now they can be folded dozens, maybe even scores of times before delaminating

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maybe this time around they didn't include a removable unremovable screen protector

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The galaxy fold was sort of neat to play with at the phone store, shame about the two week service life

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Lol at those s20 prices. Even Apple has a $700 option.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CoolRanch posted:

5g is going to be a running joke for most of this decade

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Plank Walker posted:

dogs can have a little X-Fi experience, as a treat

in before sagebrush comes to pedantify us to death

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's nothing to be pedantic about, it's just the wrong expression.

like saying "i could care less" or "for all intensive purposes" or "can i have cheeseburger."

little before a

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
may i have cheeseburger?

also is it really "in before" if you precipitate it?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

I would guess that by now they can be folded dozens, maybe even scores of times before delaminating

scoring is just one of the many features the hinge brings to the fragile glass surface of the screen

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

kind of a weird criticism given then a bigger criticism is that samsung has like 30 different impossible to tell apart telephones available starting at $180.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Dodoman posted:

in before sagebrush comes to pedantify us to death

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
god im so excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx9ibZLwVNE

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
excited for more breaking phones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

5g is going to be a running joke for most of this decade

when will it not be a joke

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when will it not be a joke

When it exists in more than 3 cities in the US between all the carriers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

it "exists" in way more than that, just not in any way that's remotely useful, which is an inherent tech problem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CoolRanch posted:

only verizon is rolling out "real" 5g

and as far as i can tell, their manhattan deployment is just some puddles underneath traffic lights

i'm not sure how it is possible to roll something like that out on a wide scale. like, how would it ever work indoors?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I thought 5g was going to enable the future of connected cities

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

only verizon is rolling out "real" 5g

and as far as i can tell, their manhattan deployment is just some puddles underneath traffic lights

i'm not sure how it is possible to roll something like that out on a wide scale. like, how would it ever work indoors?

you put microcells indoors, too. my office has lte cells in it already. i imagine they could upgrade to 5g if it ever mattered

it's stupid and bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
instead of deploying wifi, you put 5g sites in all the same places

then instead of using your wifi for internet access, you pay verizon money to give you essentially the same thing

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Endless Mike posted:

you put microcells indoors, too. my office has lte cells in it already. i imagine they could upgrade to 5g if it ever mattered

it's stupid and bad

its important for investors' economy will always be going up story time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

instead of deploying wifi, you put 5g sites in all the same places

then instead of using your wifi for internet access, you pay verizon money to give you essentially the same thing

lol a beautiful fantasy

i love it

can't wait to read about this wonderful business innovation in the trade rags

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
since we're gonna have a universal cellular system that will replace WiFi, how about we call it something cool like Wi-MAX

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

since we're gonna have a universal cellular system that will replace WiFi, how about we call it something cool like Wi-MAX

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol a beautiful fantasy

i love it

can't wait to read about this wonderful business innovation in the trade rags

telecom companies are rock-hard for this idea

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
today you’re paying for home internet and cellular internet, likely from two different providers. if cellular companies were non-idiots, they could merge the two into a single service. why does your phone need to connect to “WiFi” at home, why doesn’t it stay on the same network, but at a node in your house, plugged into the wall. when you go everywhere else (other homes, offices, stores), you also get on their nodes without having to log in or authenticate, it’s continuous service everywhere.

of course they’re going to screw this up by charging per device instead of a personal data plan for all of your devices so none of this will work.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
aren't there a billion internet-of-things and more coming out all the time that basically use your wifi as a lan in exciting unintended ways and will all need to be updated

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds pretty average for an Android, the score is legit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im the "unsatisfying hinge"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

im the "unsatisfying hinge"
we know, your [preferred gender sex partner] won't shut up about it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I didn’t know the verge scale went down to 4

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait wait wait ... Buy for 1499.99?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, this not particularly good gimmick phone is one thousand five hundred american dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

I didn’t know the verge scale went down to 4

i think the only time i saw something lower, it was a laptop with a trackpad so bad that it somehow erased itself

it still got higher than 0