Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Irisize posted:

What are the good classes/skills to master? I finally finished my first playthrough (CF), and by the final few chapters a bunch of my units felt a bit lacking. Which is fair, since I was just kinda doing whatever with lesson goals, but for a second playthrough I'd like to try and make people a bit more optimized.

Brigand and Mage give Death Blow and Fiendish Blow respectively, which gives +6 STR/MAG if you start the fight and should be beelined for unless a unit has a weakness in Axes/Reason.

Pegasus Knight also gives Darting Blow for +6 AS, but that's gender locked.

Vantage, Desperation, and Wrath are from Mercenary, Cavalier, and Warrior if you want to play with half HP shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Irisize posted:

What are the good classes/skills to master? I finally finished my first playthrough (CF), and by the final few chapters a bunch of my units felt a bit lacking. Which is fair, since I was just kinda doing whatever with lesson goals, but for a second playthrough I'd like to try and make people a bit more optimized.

Most masteries are kind of a wash. Fighter and mage get death/fiendish blow which is +6 to the relevant damage type when you attack, and Pegasus knight gets the same but for speed. Those are always worth picking up. Some of the advanced classes (swordmaster, grappler, sniper) get multi-hit combat arts for that class only, and it can be worth keeping characters in those classes, especially swordmaster since it gets better sword skills than any master classes.

Raise both faith and reason for anyone using magic, since all caster classes can use those schools.

Physical units should aim to be falcoknights, wyvern lords, bow knights or war masters. Assassin and the aforementioned classes with unique arts are also viable, though war master’s crit bonus and stats tend to outshine the grappler.

Magic units should aim to be gremories if female, and stay in their advanced class if male. You can keep someone like Mercedes as a bishop, based on how much you need her heal and damage bonus versus getting extra casts of reason spells.

Holy and dark knight are meant for hybrid units, but I also like slapping it on someone like Ferdinand because he gets decent utility spells if trained.

E: Oh yeah, vantage, wrath and desperation are also worth shooting for if you wanna do shenanigans.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm going to defend Rodrigue here. It's absolutely true he said a really lovely thing to Felix when Glenn died - but not only does he make it clear that he really regrets it, what Felix never seems to consider is that Rodrigue was grieving just as much as Felix himself was when he said it. Felix lost his brother but Rodrigue lost his son. Grieving people say and do things they don't mean. Believe me, I know that personally.

Rodrigue then does what he can trying to reforge his relationship with Felix, but the latter's still wounded and has closed himself off to everything but the sword in response to his brother's death and how everyone glorifies it.

I can't call Rodrigue a great dad or anything, because he's written as a flawed person, but I can definitely call him a human dad. He genuinely loves his son and tries to do what's right, but he's also dealing with a bad mistake from the past, sadness after losing a son, and his own loyalties to Faerghus and feudal ideology getting in the way of a proper reconciliation with the one family he has left. Not to mention how his son isn't the friendliest person at the best of times, with several other characters (for instance, Seteth) calling him out on closing himself off to everyone when a lot of people genuinely care for him, and even that's just a result of the same trauma.

tl;dr: Rodrigue deserved better than dying to cure Dimitri's insanity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sydin posted:

I still can't believe that in the Church route you put Bernie's abusive piece of poo poo dad back into power after defeating Edelgard, and Bernie has an honest to god panic attack over it once she finds out. Meanwhile in CF that fucker gets unceremoniously thrown in the deepest darkest dungeon and never heard from again.

Edelgard did nothing wrong.

You got this wrong - Edelgard frees Bernie's dad and puts him back into power on non-CF routes, and Bernie asks you to throw him in a dungeon or exile him in Silver Snow and Verdant Wind.

Azure Moon instead strongly implies that you kill him during the assault on Enbarr. Hubert mentions that the reinforcements are being lead by Count Varley, and IIRC the big wave of reinforcements are lead by a generic Empire general on a wyvern who I'm pretty sure is meant to be Bernie's dad.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

You got this wrong - Edelgard frees Bernie's dad and puts him back into power on non-CF routes, and Bernie asks you to throw him in a dungeon or exile him in Silver Snow and Verdant Wind.

Azure Moon instead strongly implies that you kill him during the assault on Enbarr. Hubert mentions that the reinforcements are being lead by Count Varley, and IIRC the big wave of reinforcements are lead by a generic Empire general on a wyvern who I'm pretty sure is meant to be Bernie's dad.

Hubert (AM): If House Varley's troops arrive in time...

Bernadetta (SS, VW): She [Edelgard] was the one to put my father under house arrest, so now he's been released, and he's taken charge of House Varley.

Countess Varley had command of House Varley.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 11, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think anyone actively released him so much as the guards keeping him under house arrest became suddenly unemployed.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Hubert (AM): If House Varley's troops arrive in time...

Bernadetta (SS, VW): She [Edelgard] was the one to put my father under house arrest, so now he's been released, and he's taken charge of House Varley.

Countess Varley had command of House Varley.

Doesn’t Byleth have two dialogue options in response, those being “lock him back up” and “exile him”? Which supports the argument that Varley wasn’t reinstated by church/alliance forces as temporarily freed by the Empire’s defeat, and he’ll not be back for long.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

Doesn’t Byleth have two dialogue options in response, those being “lock him back up” and “exile him”? Which supports the argument that Varley wasn’t reinstated by church/alliance forces as temporarily freed by the Empire’s defeat, and he’ll not be back for long.

Yes, those exist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bernie's dad gets ousted if you recruited her, and what happens to him if you didn't isn't mentioned. Same for most dads without a more direct plot connection. I think Caspar's is the only off-screen dad who gets mentioned even if Caspar is not in your army.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Rodrigue is meant to be a tragic figure mostly. He very much wants to be a good person and do right by his family and his country.
But thanks to Faerghus culture, he has backasswards ideas of what that looks like, and is too mired in his culture to fully recognize the way that’s affecting him, let alone anyone else.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

McTimmy posted:

I meant Dorothea's story about meeting the man who might have been her father. She was sired with the intent of bearing a Crest and tossed aside when she wasn't with her mother even getting fired.

i never got this, where does it come up?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

i never got this, where does it come up?

Her support with Hanneman iirc.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm pretty far in now, AM chapter 17. Now that everyone's made it into their final classes, it is clear to me that getting all the supports and making sure everyone pairs up with who I want them to is the true endgame.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Some dads were bad people but not bad dads is what the discord has decided.

Ferdinand dad was a scumbag after a lot of power.

Every support ferdinand has that talks about him talks about how his dad doted on him and made sure he had the best everything and that he was super well supported. Bad person, good dad?

Huberts dad literally says he did everything, all the evil, siding with the agarthians, etc, because they threatened hubert. Of course he then followed it up by making Hubert devote himself to edelgard in 'penance' so.. bad person neutral dad?

Lindhart doesn't seem to care for his dsd and calls him greedy and says that all he wants is money and power, but we don't hear anything bad he did to Lin, so bad person neutral dad?

Caspar is scared as gently caress of his dad, and this is the kid who has reactions about fighting giant monsters be 'this is RAD'. But is this evidence of abuse (he does mention his dad and him would 'spar' regularly) or just strict training? Oh also he says his dad explicitly enjoys going to war and battle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Caspar's dad killed Petra's dad iirc, rip

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait does feb 12 mean tonight at midnight or tomorrow sometime

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

RBA Starblade posted:

Then Byleth made them kiss because they love dramatic irony

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And then Caspar moves to Brigid and they're all "hold the phone this dude's dad killed our king" but then they get to know him and are cool with letting him be the next king.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

wait does feb 12 mean tonight at midnight or tomorrow sometime
I don't think I've ever seen a patch get a midnight release, so tomorrow definitely.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

When Byleth released for smash it was like 7 pm cst so I would expect a later release time, or just tomorrow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Caspar’s father made Linhardt do exercise that one time. The worst crime.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With Casper’s dad a lot of that fear seems to be out of respect. As in he knows just how strong his father is and is terrified at the idea of fighting him.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Caspar is a good boy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

indigi posted:

Caspar is a good boy.

I killed him dead

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The patch is slated to drop on the 13th in Europe, so that probably means sometime in the American evening on the 12th.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

KittyEmpress posted:

Ferdinand dad was a scumbag after a lot of power.

Ferdinand’s dad is the funniest character in the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ferdinand’s dad is the funniest character in the game.

He looks and sounds like evil Winnie the Pooh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hunt11 posted:

He looks and sounds like evil Winnie the Pooh.

He doesn't look anything like Uncle Xi

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermintide 3 looking weird

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's interesting that they would have someone who represents Varley but not actually make him.
After all there's a few people who're just in a battle or two that still have pictures and look unique.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

KittyEmpress posted:

Huberts dad literally says he did everything, all the evil, siding with the agarthians, etc, because they threatened hubert. Of course he then followed it up by making Hubert devote himself to edelgard in 'penance' so.. bad person neutral dad?

For Hubert I will say that he has a couple of lines that indicate emotional abuse from his father. A firm case of bad dad.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair it was both during a war and Brigid was invading the Empire so it's not like his dad committed some terrible cold-blooded murder. Caspar dad is actually kinda an enigma. He was in the insurrection of the seven yet supports Edelgard. And we know he isn't a moleman because of Silver Snow.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sydin posted:

I still can't believe that in the Church route you put Bernie's abusive piece of poo poo dad back into power after defeating Edelgard, and Bernie has an honest to god panic attack over it once she finds out. Meanwhile in CF that fucker gets unceremoniously thrown in the deepest darkest dungeon and never heard from again.

Edelgard did nothing wrong.
TBH it's kinda hosed that Bernie gets screwed on every non-CF route. I don't recall what happens with her father in Blue Lions/Golden Deer, but I know that CF is the only route where she grows enough as a person to be able to come out of her room.

So, you know, shoutout to Edelgard for organizing therapy sessions for her or whatever happened in the 5 year timeskip. Possibly letting Bernie use her dad for target practice, who can say.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Blaziken386 posted:

So, you know, shoutout to Edelgard for organizing therapy sessions for her or whatever happened in the 5 year timeskip. Possibly letting Bernie use her dad for target practice, who can say.

In the other routes, Bernie goes home to House Varley for the timeskip and only later runs away to join up at reunion (SS) or after (AM/VW).

In CF, Bernie and the rest of the Task Force stay in the monastery conducting war maneuvers from there for the 5 years byleth is asleep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

In the other routes, Bernie goes home to House Varley for the timeskip and only later runs away to join up at reunion (SS) or after (AM/VW).

In CF, Bernie and the rest of the Task Force stay in the monastery conducting war maneuvers from there for the 5 years byleth is asleep.

And Bernie's endings often play heavily into it. Pairing her with Raphael straight up says she becomes an outspoken, authoritative ruler and a strong leader in the post-war world.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cythereal posted:

And Bernie's endings often play heavily into it. Pairing her with Raphael straight up says she becomes an outspoken, authoritative ruler and a strong leader in the post-war world.

Yeah, this can happen on any route. I think CF Bernie is less 'out of her room because she's over her fears' (she clearly isn't from her own convos), and more 'out of her room because she thinks of the whole monastery as her safe place now, instead of just her room in it', after living there for so long.

She still gets recluse endings even in CF, so she definitely wasn't completely cured.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And then she marries Hubert and ends up touring all over Fodlan and presumably finishes her botanical guide.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cover of this week's Famitsu, artist is Jun Suemi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Regarding Maddening, if you are willing to sell your soul to the grind, take your healers to Battle every chance you get with an adjutant riding shotgun. Battle experience is significantly diminished in maddening but healing experience is not. My Mercedes is a solid 20 levels ahead of the curve (because I listen to podcasts while I play) because I go to battle most weeks except for the one exploration. Between her 20 heals, 10 physics, 4 fortifies, and any actual targets I have her obliterate, both she and her adjutant get a huge boost of exp and weapon skill. I took Felix from a struggling warmaster to a master archer/sniper with A+ in bows in a month.