Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I have such an absurd volume of games to keep up with that I really don't mind dodging ones made by garbage people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
FEZ was given out free and I did not partake. I am the Avatar of Virtue and the hero of the Ultima series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is ethically acceptable to take bad people's free stuff so long as you don't thank them for it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

StrixNebulosa posted:

But because of the online nature of keys, our only choices are resellers (fanatical, humble) where afaik devs still get a cut, or... G2A, which is literal crime.
I thought humble let you adjust how much go to dev, humble, and charity. The keys are usually donated(?) by dev.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nyaa posted:

I thought humble let you adjust how much go to dev, humble, and charity. The keys are usually donated(?) by dev.

If you're doing a purchase from their store or through their humble monthly you can't adjust the ratios. It's only for bundles.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Cardiovorax posted:

It is ethically acceptable to take bad people's free stuff so long as you don't thank them for it.

So you got Postal 2 for free from GOG last month? Okay.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

On the ethically acceptable note, are the Hatred devs alt right toxic poo poo heads? I remember a massive dust up at the time about Hatred being a school shooter, cop shooter simulator but it pretty much dropped off the map after a few months,

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The thing about Hated was that by all accounts it was a poo poo game and thus easy to ignore

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Since CK2 went F2P a while back and Paradox gave away one of the Goon-approved DLCs for signing up for the CK3 newsletter, I'm getting the itch to try out my first Paradox game. Are all of their games relatively the same except Europa Universalis is colonial times, Hearts of Iron is WW2 era, and Stellaris is space sci-fi? What are the major differences and is your enjoyment largely going to depend on what era you find more interesting?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Not really. Every game is its own beast, and something like CKII is quite different from EUIV, which is quite different from HoI4 which is... you get the idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, there's an overarching similarity there, but really only because they're all "grand strategy" games. They're not similar in the way Warcraft 3 is similar to Starcraft 2, though. It's more that they're similar in the way that Supreme Commander is also kind of like Starcraft. Crusader Kings 2 isn't about playing a nation, for example, it's about cultivating a dynasty - including weird uncles, gay aunts, hereditary illnesses, all that jazz. It's takes place on a very social level. Europa Universalis is the most 'vanilla' Risk-like "build a nation and conquer the world with it" type game, while Victoria is more about economics and Hearts of Iron is more about super high-level strategy in strategic theatres than about shuffling individuals groups of pixel mans around.

Stellaris, on the other hand, is pretty much a bog-standard Space 4X game and really only nominally similar to any of the rest.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
CK2 focuses on characters, which makes it quite different compared to the others.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ubisoft: our games aren't political
division 1: first faction of enemies are black people in hoodies that you shoot freely
division 2: society broke down. do you own a gun? does your neighbor? some survive.

right in the opening cutscene even, oof

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

division 1: first faction of enemies are black people in hoodies that you shoot freely
division 2: society broke down. do you own a gun? does your neighbor? some survive.

You sure gave up fast on the whole "don't buy games from bad people" thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Det_no posted:

? What point are you trying to make here?

e: I'm still confused. I never said I wouldn't buy bad games or games from bad people, only that I wish there were more options so I could choose not to pay bad devs directly. And Division 2 for three dollars is a nice way to check out a game without giving ubi too much money. And now I get to rag on it all I want!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 11, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Det_no posted:

Oh boy, it's time for "Company did bad thing so you're supporting terrible people" exaggerations.

No ethical consumption under capitalism blah blah blah. Buying from Ubisoft != buying from a known abuser who would get 70% of the profit.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV This poo poo is dumb too.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 11, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

StrixNebulosa posted:

? What point are you trying to make here?

Det_no is saying you are a hypocrite, because if you're asking about an ubisoft game, you must have bought it, and thus backpedalled on your recently stated policy that it is good not to buy games from bad people.

Det_no's statement assumes that you bought division 1 and 2 instead of simply commenting on their intros from having watched a youtube or something, and also assumes that ubisoft games are made by bad people, and also that you knew this before buying them. Should you choose to defend yourself in this forum slapfight, you might consider rebutting one of these assumptions. Let me know if you need any more help with your english homework!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Det_no is saying you are a hypocrite, because if you're asking about an ubisoft game, you must have bought it, and thus backpedalled on your recently stated policy that it is good not to buy games from bad people.

Det_no's statement assumes that you bought division 1 and 2 instead of simply commenting on their intros from having watched a youtube or something, and also assumes that ubisoft games are made by bad people, and also that you knew this before buying them. Should you choose to defend yourself in this forum slapfight, you might consider rebutting one of these assumptions. Let me know if you need any more help with your english homework!

But here's where I'm confused: I didn't post any such policy?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Det_no posted:

Mzbundifund posted:

You're both morons.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You know what's a good game that you can feel good about playing? A Short Hike! It's so good that I'm declaring it a platformer so I can review it today (even if I don't have to, because it is).

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss

11. A Short Hike

Do you play games to beat them? In the past that was an important goal for me, but these days I’m far more content to just exist in a compelling game world. Open world games that give you plenty of options are some of my favorites, allowing me to go where I want and see what I like freely instead of trucking along towards a set objective. That’s why games like A Short Hike are such a treat for me, games that are entirely about the journey and not the destination. It’s a central theme of this game, and its brilliance comes from how completely it expresses that theme in every corner of its cozy world.

Claire has been whisked away on a trip with her aunt May and her siblings to Hawk Peak Provincial Park, an idyllic island topped by the aforementioned peak. It’s a lovely day to kick back but Claire is restless, waiting for a particular phone call to me. There’s no reception at their cabin, but according to May, there might be a signal at the top of Hawk Peak. With nothing better to do, Claire sets out on a short hike up the mountain, and into the lives of dozens of colorful characters dotting the trails. Everyone has a reason for being there, some more relevant to Claire than others but all of them compelling stories to share. Eventually she might just make it to the top of that mountain, but what she finds along the way could be more important.

I definitely put too much stock into howlongtobeat, because it told me this would take about 90 minutes to finish and I believed it. If you book it up the mountain that might be the case, but I spent three hours exploring Hawk Peak and its environs and I still don’t feel done. It’s a big island, and Claire being a bird offers you some very fun options like flapping and gliding to get around. The only thing that gates progression at all is golden feathers, which work like stamina for flapping and climbing, but you only need a fraction of those available to reach the top. Exploration turns up more than you need, along with money and all sorts of items that your fellow travelers might be interested in.

It shouldn’t take you more than one or two encounters with folks at the park to see what’s so special about this game. A Short Hike is very much presented in the New Sincerity style that so many earnest, heartwarming games like Celeste and Oxenfree make use of. The characters you meet have very natural opinions, problems, and responses, even on absurd topics like beachstickball and sandcastle politics. The people you meet are unsure of themselves, need encouragement, or put up walls that need to be broken down, and it all happens in silly dialogue bubbles over quests to go fishing or find a headband. One encounter touched on talent and self-doubt in a more poignant way than I’ve ever seen a game handle it, becoming an emotional moment that decades of dense RPGs and dialogue-heavy games never really matched.

I can’t stress enough how much of a pleasure it is to interact with the cast of A Short Hike, and exploring the island to find them is almost as much of a pleasure. There are trails and ledges leading to all sorts of places, including abandoned buildings, graveyards, and hot springs. Secrets are tucked away everywhere, whether they be in out-of-the-way chests, buried in conspicuous dirt patches, or at the end of a treasure map’s riddle. The further I got, the more it reminded me of a Mario Odyssey level, a fully-realized world jam-packed with things to find and features to experiment with. You can collect feathers, gather money to spend, go fishing, run races, dig up the beach, and so much more. And all the while you can glide freely, and fly or climb incredible distances once you get a few feathers.

The chunky 3D pixels and colorful models only add to the whimsy of this experience, giving the whole game an Animal Crossing-esque sense of welcome. The soundtrack is just as fitting, with comforting tunes and more upbeat pieces playing as you reach different parts of the island. This is a total package designed to make you happy and see things maybe a little differently, and it’s very effective at doing both. Really it’s exactly what I was hoping it was, a rich, beautiful world to poke around in and simply enjoy. And enjoy it I did, because few games are as charming and meaningful as A Short Hike.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

right, uh, anyways

Division 2 thirty minute impression: great accessibility options, fun shooting/hiding behind cover stuff, Tom Clancy Plot Nonsense, and I realized that I'm just not in the mood for playing it right now given that Destiny 2 is more my speed currently. But I look forward to digging into it more later, and I'm happy to have it. I'm actually kinda excited about finding ECHOs and audiologs again!

Also shoutout to how satisfying headshots are, I point and click and 90% of a dude's health bar vanishes. For a lootershooter that feels incredibly good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Division 2 is hilarious because there is literally a mission that contains the description text "it is time to make sure that the descendants of Thomas Jefferson do not continue their family history of slavery" or something of that nature. Most unpolitical game ever, for sure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Errr, the rioters aren’t all or even mostly black, nor do they all wear hoodies. There’s a lot of stuff in the game that characterizes them and fills out their motivations and it’s not some simple “shoot a bunch of racist caricatures” thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

That is an atrocious line but tbf the game then segues to building up little settlements where people work together and pool resources, each according to their means etc etc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you have a limited amount of disposable income you should just pirate games imo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Even if it's delivered in the most quintessentially stupid Tom Clancy-ish manner, it's not like "in the post-apocalyptic complete breakdown of law and order, owning a weapon of some sort is necessary to survive" is really a controversial statement in and of itself. Division 2 is basically Fallout Lite with less nuclear explosions and retro-futuristic charm.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 11, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Errr, the rioters aren’t all or even mostly black, nor do they all wear hoodies. There’s a lot of stuff in the game that characterizes them and fills out their motivations and it’s not some simple “shoot a bunch of racist caricatures” thing.

No, I know, it's just that it's one hell of a look for a game to open by shooting rioters in hoodies. I am impressed at how it fleshed out all of the factions if you go looking for collectibles. One of the better uses for "go find random doodads around town"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, I know, it's just that it's one hell of a look for a game to open by shooting rioters in hoodies. I am impressed at how it fleshed out all of the factions if you go looking for collectibles. One of the better uses for "go find random doodads around town"

Ohh, didn’t realize you had played all that much. I just chalk it up to the devs being kind of obliviously European. See also- all the signs for hospital A&E’s instead of ER’s.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ohh, didn’t realize you had played all that much. I just chalk it up to the devs being kind of obliviously European. See also- all the signs for hospital A&E’s instead of ER’s.

When I got Division 1 from the humble monthly back in 2018 I didn't expect to like it anywhere near as much as I did - I ultimately put 38 hours into it before dropping it. Never finished the main story due to the bulletsponges getting really, really stupid...but that's okay. At that point I'd run out of collectibles, the cleaners (the best villain faction) were gone, and I was kind of tired of scuffing around NYC.

I look back on it fondly - I loved exploring the post-plague-ridden city, loved the horror of the cleaners, and had some real fun shooting as well. It had some real dumb plot beats and looks (the rioters, the entire concept of the division) but it was a good time. I'm hoping that later when I'm in the mood Division 2 will be the same. Lots of summer fun running around shooting things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hoodies...a garment exclusive to the Blecks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People are legit weird about hoodies. I'm the whitest suburban motherfucker around, and I know for a fact a neighbor worriedly asked someone if she should call the police when I was talking on the phone outside my house in a hoodie.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yeah, once the cleaners were not around, the game pretty much lost me as well. Exploring was great, the echo things were really neat, the logs and small stories were great in general.
But the actual combat and shooting got very old. The other factions were boring!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

Since CK2 went F2P a while back and Paradox gave away one of the Goon-approved DLCs for signing up for the CK3 newsletter, I'm getting the itch to try out my first Paradox game. Are all of their games relatively the same except Europa Universalis is colonial times, Hearts of Iron is WW2 era, and Stellaris is space sci-fi? What are the major differences and is your enjoyment largely going to depend on what era you find more interesting?

in terms of enjoyment derived before you bounce off the learning curve, ck2 is probably your best bet. you don't need to conquer your neighbor in order to expand your realm, you only need to seduce his wife then murder him. or conquer him, whatever

since you have old gods, play as pagans. they are WAY more fun right off the bat than catholics. you have to do a lot of sitting around and scheming as a catholic. you can get into dueling societies and start reaving the coasts from day one as a viking

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just an FYI about The Division 2 but it’s super cheap right now because a $40 expansion is about to be released.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1227337260217049089

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Probably for the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

When I got Division 1 from the humble monthly back in 2018 I didn't expect to like it anywhere near as much as I did - I ultimately put 38 hours into it before dropping it. Never finished the main story due to the bulletsponges getting really, really stupid...but that's okay. At that point I'd run out of collectibles, the cleaners (the best villain faction) were gone, and I was kind of tired of scuffing around NYC.

I look back on it fondly - I loved exploring the post-plague-ridden city, loved the horror of the cleaners, and had some real fun shooting as well. It had some real dumb plot beats and looks (the rioters, the entire concept of the division) but it was a good time. I'm hoping that later when I'm in the mood Division 2 will be the same. Lots of summer fun running around shooting things.

I do like that all the heavy lifting was done by the civilians and that the actual division itself is often framed as a pretty bad idea.

D2 is a lot of fun, the new armor/health system really changed the combat up and the bullet sponge situation is really different. There are sponges, but they’re visibly heavily armored and armor segments break off. If you and a buddy focus fire on an arm or leg, you can shatter it right quick and then their health drops like a stone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pentyne posted:

On the ethically acceptable note, are the Hatred devs alt right toxic poo poo heads? I remember a massive dust up at the time about Hatred being a school shooter, cop shooter simulator but it pretty much dropped off the map after a few months,
One of the devs had like facebook connections to a local group of nationalists, and their second game was a turret simulator which they specifically said was in response to 'things happening in the world right now' where you defended "Europe" against waves of ISIS invaders.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.

Mordja posted:

New video for People Can Fly's (Bulletstorm peeps) new game. Not a lot to go on, I dunno, my guess is some kind of coop thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlzMyPlKek
You know, videogames really need to do better with the whole "woe is me, I've lost my humanity by gaining these sick magic powers and edgy body-mods" and just loving go all out. I'm talking real body-horror and/or mental dissolution stuff.

I thought JJ Macfield did pretty well in this direction for a shortish game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mordja posted:

New video for People Can Fly's (Bulletstorm peeps) new game. Not a lot to go on, I dunno, my guess is some kind of coop thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlzMyPlKek
You know, videogames really need to do better with the whole "woe is me, I've lost my humanity by gaining these sick magic powers and edgy body-mods" and just loving go all out. I'm talking real body-horror and/or mental dissolution stuff.

I'm hoping its good and Bulletstorm is one of the best shooters, so I'm sure it will be, but man the trailer gave me mid-late 2000s Xbox 360 wasteland of generic blandman game straight-out-of-grandmas-boy vibes ptsd