Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hmm... I am... 126 levels behind, poo poo

Prowler posted:

-A multiplayer Zelda level with three parts: the standard four separated rows, followed by four separated short swimming areas, and then a short all-player race to the goal. (Why is "short" a banned word? I had to use brief in the description.)

I always love pointing these out, short isn't a banned word, what got the filter mad was...

"Link, land-based course multiplayer level with a short water phase."

Last Visible Dog posted:

Not the latest one. The one before it: Mario Solar System.

This rules

In Training posted:

5 more worlds and we've made a whole Mario game. Let's get that bread makers.

poo poo i missed a world didn't i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phantasium posted:

poo poo i missed a world didn't i

When the update came out we made a Super Mario World, um, world. Hot Chocolate Mountain, it should still be linked in the OP.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in ten minutes with some levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Last Visible Dog posted:

I'm banking on some "better late than never" here, but I was just inspired to do another world map for a Goon collaborative world.

Not the latest one. The one before it: Mario Solar System.

I just played the first three levels here, and they're fantastic, with the blastoff being the highlight so far! The hints of a narrative are great, and I'm excited to see where the levels go. Those nefarious Monty Moles are up to no good!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And stream complete! Thanks to everyone who joined us tonight. Sorry I couldn't fit in that second level you posted cool guy, I'll jump on it first thing Thursday!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550098837

1. Rotten Range 00:27:15
By: ThisIsACoolGuy K0K-BVV-QDF

2. A Cold Day at Work 00:40:30 ***
Jasoneatspizza RHT-17D-7TG

3. Poi-Zone 01:18:00
By: Gnome Enthusiast H3W-8Y4-6FG

4. Tomb Street 02:12:45
By: Gnome Enthusiast

5. The Old Cedricson Place 02:30:00
By: Haschel Cedricson MM2-6NN-8YF

6. Thinking ahead in the Snow 02:40:00
By: PM ME COOL THINGS PBR-3BG-VRF

7. [SNW] 3-3 Poisonous Swamplands 02:56:00
By: Nat3_LP P4Q-GC8-HFG

8. Jumping all around the world #1 03:02:45
By: MarcFixxer TGQ-LL0-93G

9. Link, Beast Master 03:17:45
By: Autumnsmaul YSN-5HY-GSG

10. World of Crimson Wings 03:26:45
By: Vanderfield100 CTC-02M-4QG

11. Up and down the mountain 03:31:45
By: LeafoftheLake 7K6-WGD-MFF

12. Aqua Forest 03:37:30
By: Tibsmar B93-J04-KPF

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Missed the stream, my building caught on fire!

I just finished my second vanilla-style platforming level in SMB3 called "Mush Rush 2 the Sky", a sequel, of course.

KB6-XKP-J9G

I took the feedback I received from my first level and made an optimized path through the level, so it's actually easy to clear in under 35 seconds. Or take your time and enjoy the level, which is probably SMB3 world-5 level difficulty.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Prowler posted:

I just finished my second vanilla-style platforming level in SMB3 called "Mush Rush 2 the Sky", a sequel, of course.

KB6-XKP-J9G

I took the feedback I received from my first level and made an optimized path through the level, so it's actually easy to clear in under 35 seconds. Or take your time and enjoy the level, which is probably SMB3 world-5 level difficulty.

That level is real good. I like the vibe/aesthetic and the difficulty is perfect for me. I died a few times but it was always my fault.

I made 2 new levels that hopefully aren't too bad:

"poached yoshi eggs" - K07-Y2X-DYF

Save yoshi from the poachers in SMW.

"boop'n goombs at the orchard" - FDB-C8W-DYF

Simple level with some goombas to jump on. Really easy and short. Meant for kids or people new to mario.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Prowler posted:

KB6-XKP-J9G

Oh no! I hope it is now less on fire.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Norton posted:

That level is real good. I like the vibe/aesthetic and the difficulty is perfect for me. I died a few times but it was always my fault.

Thank you!

OneMoreTime posted:

Oh no! I hope it is now less on fire.

Yes. I had to rush out of a smokey building with my cat wrapped in a hamper sweater and wearing PJs, lol.

My apartment survived. 309 did not, poor guy. Our building is only about 6 blocks from a FD, thankfully.

Phantasium posted:

hmm... I am... 126 levels behind, poo poo

I always love pointing these out, short isn't a banned word, what got the filter mad was...

"Link, land-based course multiplayer level with a short water phase."

Ooooooh. Makes (some) sense.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 11, 2020

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I finally got 3 stars in a ninji speedrun. My best time was 33.985 which felt pretty good but the top tier players were really pulling off some crazy runs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Are people still adding their levels to Random Acts of Mario?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I’ve been putting all of mine on the spreadsheet.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I've forgotten to add my last few. Rectifying that now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Excellent! I've been playing SMM2 more and more lately and while I could go back through the thread, that site is incredibly useful.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Would it be too late to add this to your list OMT? :v: Just sent my joycons in so I'm done creating until they get back. Gonna get to actually playing levels in the coming days.

That said;

I'm super happy with how this came out, I genuinely think it's one of my better stages and would love to hear what goons have to say about it. I tried to dot checkpoints in logical areas and there's a handful of power ups scattered about. I even got to use a couple mechanics I don't see used very often :v: ! I'm really proud of it.

I enjoyed this level! I would strongly consider adding some sign-posting. More than once, I was unsure how to progress before it was too late: since you have to move left to right so often, I felt like I died more often to indecision than obstacles.

Also, don't be offended by the sun vomiting rainbows onto a mushroom drawing. It's a good thing!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 12, 2020

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Streaming Super Mario Maker 2 tonight! You and !add and submit your levels if'n you want 'em played!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I too will be going live with levels, only it will be tonight at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST instead of yesterday, which is impossible!

1. Cloudy Climb
By: ThisisACoolGuy RTV-MWF-BYF

2. Poached Yoshi Eggs
By: Norton K07-Y2X-DYF

3. Mush Rush 2 the Sky
By: Prowler KB6-XKP-J9G

4. Boop'n goombs at the ochard
By: Norton FDB-C8W-DYF

5. Let's Carry the P!
By: TheEnergizer1985 R3W-CLG-2GF

6. Dashie Swinging Vines
By: Nidrorax CY7-YDQ-H2G

7. Switch-Filled Ice-Capped Peaks
By: Wmccool FGM-72B-1WF

8. A Thorny Situation
By: HollandBFlorida Y06-DW5-JFG

9. Have Some Boos and Take a P
By: Old_man_jn HTS-KK0-DBG

10. Spikeball safari
By: S120r CPC-5S7-18G

11. Tomb of the Crate Conjuror
By: GrayFox127 W55-XB5-GTF

12. My very first time (easy mode)
By: Goldensnitchel 3K9-L33-GXG

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sincerely hope that part of the reason the next Nintendo Direct is taking so long to happen is because there's going to be a significant portion of it dedicated to whatever's coming next for this game :ohdear:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's coming next is another ninji level in 3 weeks

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

What's coming next is another ninji level in 3 weeks

also in 3 weeks is me to anyone's level that got posted recently

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

While working on The Old Cedricson place I learned a lot about the mechanics of Floor Boos (did you know the winged ones are not only faster, but climb the walls like Spike Tops? They just are invisible when they move vertically!) but I also found another fun interaction that Boo Rings have with another item that I kind of want to design a level around.

It turns out you can put Boo Rings inside the Lakitu Cloud!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Prowler posted:

I enjoyed this level! I would strongly consider adding some sign-posting. More than once, I was unsure how to progress before it was too late: since you have to move left to right so often, I felt like I died more often to indecision than obstacles.

Also, don't be offended by the sun vomiting rainbows onto a mushroom drawing. It's a good thing!

I'll take your word on that, and thanks for the feedback! I have a hard time putting those arrows around as them just floating in open space looks so wrong to me, so I was hoping that the flow was just natural :v:. I'll have to reconsider that for the next scrolling stage I make.

For some reason I have a lot of fun building those lately.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live in ten minutes with some levels!

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Mario Mario Pro Skater
YQT-NTR-H2G

Mario tries to impress Bowsette with his skateboard tricks

I was inspired by another skateboarding level I played a while back, but I wanted one focused more on small challenges. This is an infinite checkpoint level with 4 red coin challenges (+1 safety coin). I think a couple of these are fairly tough if you aren't used to riding the shell, but I think the saved progress should make it a bit easier than the last level I posted. Hopefully I didn't miss anything game breaking, as I didn't get as much time to playtest this!

I'll catch up on some of the recently posted levels this weekend (3-day weekend Mario baby!).

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Great level, jasoneatspizza. You put a lot of nice touches in there! The main section really looks like a skatepark. Love the half-pipe, boards, and rails.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll take your word on that, and thanks for the feedback! I have a hard time putting those arrows around as them just floating in open space looks so wrong to me, so I was hoping that the flow was just natural :v:. I'll have to reconsider that for the next scrolling stage I make.

For some reason I have a lot of fun building those lately.

I agree with Prowler. Fun level! If you want to signpost some more, you can just use some short coin trails instead of arrows. I didn't have much trouble with the first sections of the level, but there was definitely a difficulty bump in the vertical section. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

By the way, where do you all get your ideas for levels? I made a handful of levels when the game came out, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. Still, I'm really impressed at how many high-quality levels folks here have made!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
When are they adding Byleth to Super Mario Maker 2?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DorianGravy posted:

I agree with Prowler. Fun level! If you want to signpost some more, you can just use some short coin trails instead of arrows. I didn't have much trouble with the first sections of the level, but there was definitely a difficulty bump in the vertical section. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

By the way, where do you all get your ideas for levels? I made a handful of levels when the game came out, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. Still, I'm really impressed at how many high-quality levels folks here have made!

Fair enough :v: I'll work on more coin trails in the future.

Also for me it's mostly just picking a object or setting and just kinda rolling with it. Like I know big spike balls can plow through bricks and other objects so I'm thinking about how I can center a level around that one mechanic. For Cloudy Climb it was 'I don't see many people using auto scrolls and I like athletic levels from Yoshi's Island. Wonder if I could work something out that has a similar tone.'

Rest just kinda happens. I get to creating for a couple hours, take a break so I'm not trying to rush things and then return to it later in the day for the next couple days. I'm also constantly playtesting things as methodically as I can (or at least attempting) so a lot of the time "oh I could add [object] or [enemy] here! That'll be interesting!"

E: Hey said I'd play some levels so I did

Mario Mario Pro Skater - Jasoneatspizza
Ended up quitting out of it. The spring section is just way to jank and killed me to the point of frustration. For whatever reason as the shell climbed the springs they'd kill me unless I was ducking, and each time I tried to jump I'd screw up and miss the blue platform while getting the coin. Heck I couldn't even reach the lame platform to try to get past it. It's currently as of typing sitting at 1.73% clear rate and I wouldn't be surprised if that one part is the reason.

My very first time (easy mode) - Goldensnitchel
Really needs some work. The bottom path platforms desynchronize pretty easily making it impossible, and the low jumps for it are absolutely brutal. Also I'm not entirely sure why you made players get the mushroom just to force them to tank a hit on every retry. It wasn't really challenging and moreso annoying than anything.
Really barebones and short but hey, first time creating and you should get the hang of it with time I imagine. Try not to put course elements at the top of the screen as a bit of advice if you want players to be percise. And the part after the checkpoint felt kinda pointless. Try to avoid thwomp runs as I'm not really sure what was going on there.

Have Some Boos and Take a P - Old_man_jn
Very silly level concept that I somehow didn't grasp right away despite the description and you trying to convey the idea at the start. I'm very stupid apparently.
Pretty easy to just put the spring in the left corner and let the P switches come to you but I still had fun with it.

Spikeball Safari - S120r
I really loved this stage, but then again I'm a total sucker for stages I can see in actual games. It was pretty simple and straight forward but I enjoyed it well enough. Good times.

A Thorny Situation - HollandBFlorida
Ask me about the Pro Controller D-Pad.
Oddly had a harder time with the first part and didn't really die until the final part due to luigi screwing up thanks to said d-pad hijinks. Really chill level, though man the spike hitboxes in general are kinda wonky.
Really though the idea behind it was nice and I wish I could of went through it without having to resort to my control stick :v:

Boop'n Goombs at the Orchard - Norton
Short and super easy, not really sure if the checkpoint is needed as it's just bopping a few goombas and moving on. Not a lot to really say as It ended pretty fast.

Mush Rush 2 the Sky - Prowler
The course description told me to go fast so I didn't take anything in and just kinda bumrushed through :v:
I did like what I played though and it was visually fun level to play through. Wound up at 45 seconds after deciding 'yeah I'll go fast'. I'm not sure what I'd do to really spice it up as it just felt like a relaxing early game stage. I enjoyed it!

Chilly Dogs - J-Spot
What I got from this is that Luigi should never be a pet owner because that man killed a couple of danged dogs.
This was a pretty fun stage, and a fun use of the chain chomps. I really liked how they interacted with the springboards in the second half of the level and while it was easy I still enjoyed it :) . Good cool level

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 14, 2020

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Sublimer posted:

Great level, jasoneatspizza. You put a lot of nice touches in there! The main section really looks like a skatepark. Love the half-pipe, boards, and rails.

Thanks! Glad I actually managed to get the skatepark feel across.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario Mario Pro Skater - Jasoneatspizza
Ended up quitting out of it. The spring section is just way to jank and killed me to the point of frustration. For whatever reason as the shell climbed the springs they'd kill me unless I was ducking, and each time I tried to jump I'd screw up and miss the blue platform while getting the coin. Heck I couldn't even reach the lame platform to try to get past it. It's currently as of typing sitting at 1.73% clear rate and I wouldn't be surprised if that one part is the reason.

Thanks for your feedback! Hm, was it killing you at the top of the spring corridor when the shell is exiting, or before then somehow? At the top it definitely kills you. That's if the player rides too long. Gotta jump before that happens. If before then, I'd be curious, since I haven't seen that happen with anyone else yet. That section is definitely tough though, but I found consistency is possible.

The lame platform is just for resetting if you happen to land on top of the springs, since I found just having to jump down and die at that point felt kinda bad. Getting it from the other direction and jumping off the top of the springs wouldn't give you enough distance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jasoneatspizza posted:

Thanks! Glad I actually managed to get the skatepark feel across.

Thanks for your feedback! Hm, was it killing you at the top of the spring corridor when the shell is exiting, or before then somehow? At the top it definitely kills you. That's if the player rides too long. Gotta jump before that happens. If before then, I'd be curious, since I haven't seen that happen with anyone else yet. That section is definitely tough though, but I found consistency is possible.

The lame platform is just for resetting if you happen to land on top of the springs, since I found just having to jump down and die at that point felt kinda bad. Getting it from the other direction and jumping off the top of the springs wouldn't give you enough distance.

Ah, yeah I had no idea when I was supposed to be jumping so I was waiting till the very top and trying to jump then. Like I said if you duck your character mysteriously doesn't get killed so I thought that was the answer- but then I wouldn't make it anyway just landing barely too short of the blue platform :v:

'Man I'll just take the Lame way out if that's what it is' and kept trying for it and like I said, ultimately wound up just quitting out as I was annoyed at that point

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Oh speaking of, stream list and timestamps from last night!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/551585138

1. Cloudy Climb 00:33:15
By: ThisisACoolGuy RTV-MWF-BYF

2. Poached Yoshi Eggs 00:56:45
By: Norton K07-Y2X-DYF

3. Mush Rush 2 the Sky 01:15:00
By: Prowler KB6-XKP-J9G

4. Boop'n goombs at the ochard 01:38:15
By: Norton FDB-C8W-DYF

5. Let's Carry the P! 02:31:45
By: TheEnergizer1985 R3W-CLG-2GF

6. Dashie Swinging Vines 02:48:15
By: Nidrorax CY7-YDQ-H2G

7. Switch-Filled Ice-Capped Peaks 03:14:30**
By: Wmccool FGM-72B-1WF

8. A Thorny Situation 03:57:15
By: HollandBFlorida Y06-DW5-JFG

9. Have Some Boos and Take a P 04:03:30
By: Old_man_jn HTS-KK0-DBG

10. Spikeball safari 04:08:30
By: S120r CPC-5S7-18G

11. Tomb of the Crate Conjuror 04:12:00
By: GrayFox127 W55-XB5-GTF

12. My very first time (easy mode) 04:17:00
By: Goldensnitchel 3K9-L33-GXG

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Thoughts on:

Mush Top Rush 2 the Sky
KB6-XKP-J9G

Pretty good! Felt like it could be in an actual Mario game. I think you accomplished what you set out to do. I played this exploring and then rushing through, and it worked both ways. Exploration was well rewarded, and I was happy you could also basically nonstop run without much waiting if you took the correct paths. Was only able to cut my time to a little over 35 seconds though! Was also well done aesthetically—simple, but fitting.

poached yoshi eggs
K07-Y2X-DYF

This was a cute and fun level! I appreciate that you actually had a story that develops as you progress, which is something that often gets neglected. Usually level designers are focused mainly on cool setups, and they don't really pay attention to any narrative. I freed the animals and killed one poacher!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watch OneMoreTimes VOD has me wondering if I should try to be a little harder on the player.

So lets see how this goes. There's nothing really unfair and I got to play with a couple traps/mechanics that I've been thinking about for awhile so I'm actually super thankful I decided to try it all out. The level started as kind of a test of different ideas but quickly took a identity as The Mole Patrol Castle. There's a refreshing checkpoint that gives you a mushroom for passing it so you can save your Red Coins, so hopefully it's not too frustrating.

E: Fixed the code

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 17, 2020

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. The Mole Patrol Castle
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

2. Mario Mario Pro Skater
By: Jasoneatspizza YQT-NTR-H2G

3. A Sprint in the Park 2
By: Waterboxdude QJ6-CHJ-TSF

4. King Thwomp's Castle
By: Turkey_covered_logan HCY-K64-HKG

5. The Seven Labours of Mario V
By: Avaris1982 W34-JBJ-PWF

6. 1-4 Timber Terrors
By: MaliceMoon56 L8T-VHK-D7G

7. PvZ - Zombies On Your Lawn
By: 00f_png Q4X-M2W-5HG

8. Sky High Hijinx
By: Tinghoul 2B2-6XM-BCG

9. Ghost House Speedrun - 20 seconds
By: Flash1987 CY1-QVD-NJF

10. World 3-Castle NSMB
By: Russellthedog G2T-KVC-QKF

11. XD's level
By: XDDXDDXDXD L8Y-47W-D7G

12. Fake Speed 1: On With Spike
By: Bigflowers_jpg BNW-756-RWG

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't hop into the stream right now but I'm curious to see if the checkpoint refresh is used. I'm not sure how to really set them up but the idea is to save each coin and get a mushroom between each challenge so if there's any deaths there's not a lot of replaying going on. Though hindsight I probably should of put a shroom next to the first one anyway so you don't have to do a full lap to get the power up back.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Spikes are a neat enemy.

Homing Hazards
ID# 0H5-J3F-LKG

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1230146190815031296?s=20

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
edit: New version, hope this one is easier:

scrub lover fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 20, 2020

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I'll be playing the new levels posted here soon! But wanted to drop my most recent one in the meantime:

The Miners Strike of 2020
Q06-H74-W5G

Inspector Mario has come to quash the galoomba miners strike.

I would consider this lite kaizo, mostly it's extended jumping sections. I think this should be a lot easier than the snow level, but more difficult than the skateboarding one. 1 CP

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

Spikes are a neat enemy.

Homing Hazards
ID# 0H5-J3F-LKG

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1230146190815031296?s=20

Cool concept! Hadn't played any levels using this particular gimmick before. It was interesting figuring out how to manipulate the spike balls in your favor. Also had a nice ramping up of difficulty. I gave it a like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Uh, I guess this got popular overnight?