Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Vlex posted:

That kill count on the necrosphinx demands an explanation.

focused on low-model large units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
First time playing Snikch. What are favorite unit builds for clan eshin? I have a front wall of skavenslaves, with death runners for flanking, a wizard that isn't often useful (maybe swap with a plague priest? was my next thought), and I just got a couple of mortars to see if that'd be any fun.

tips on campaign? the eshin actions and contracts seem interesting, but should I do contracts for any clan or focus down on one? I'm still early.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing my first Empire campaign after the rework and the "defend a city" missions seem basically unwinnable? I've only taken a couple, but in both occasions the defending army was already trounced by the time my guys (four units) arrived to the battle. I'm bad at the game and playing on hard/normal, but this seems a bit too much.

This happened to me once or twice where the Beastmen just go nuts at the gate and demolish the defenders before I could even physically get my troops up there to help out. Not much you can do if you're playing Legendary but if its on another difficulty I would just reload and do it again. I did an Empire campaign on Hard awhile ago where that happened and reloading the exact same battle again it was fine, they took twice as long to breach and I was able to win it (just barely). If you can auto-resolve those though then do it because they tend to be repetitive and boring. Not as bad as that one map with the statue/hill though.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

First time playing Snikch. What are favorite unit builds for clan eshin? I have a front wall of skavenslaves, with death runners for flanking, a wizard that isn't often useful (maybe swap with a plague priest? was my next thought), and I just got a couple of mortars to see if that'd be any fun.

tips on campaign? the eshin actions and contracts seem interesting, but should I do contracts for any clan or focus down on one? I'm still early.

Having just finished Eshin campaign that took way too long: kill Dwarfs before Greenskins. Kill Dwarfs before anything else. Kill Dwarfs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Gunslinger posted:

This happened to me once or twice where the Beastmen just go nuts at the gate and demolish the defenders before I could even physically get my troops up there to help out. Not much you can do if you're playing Legendary but if its on another difficulty I would just reload and do it again. I did an Empire campaign on Hard awhile ago where that happened and reloading the exact same battle again it was fine, they took twice as long to breach and I was able to win it (just barely). If you can auto-resolve those though then do it because they tend to be repetitive and boring. Not as bad as that one map with the statue/hill though.
Not trying to be lovely or start an argument but this just seems like it is way more effort than is useful, unless it is a super duper strategically important elector city that will get destroyed if you do not protect it. The battles seriously do not matter, at all.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Vlex posted:

That kill count on the necrosphinx demands an explanation.

I think it got smashed by the enemy sepulchral stalkers idk

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Do all the clan eshin contracts. Because they all net a positive amount of points, you'll have them all maxed out faster than trying to pick and choose.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not trying to be lovely or start an argument but this just seems like it is way more effort than is useful, unless it is a super duper strategically important elector city that will get destroyed if you do not protect it. The battles seriously do not matter, at all.

Basically you get 700GP if you win - and if you lose a battle near you you get to resettle and hand it over to the owner for 0GP and an extra point of fealty. Throwing the battle can therefore be worth it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm facing a weird issue. No matter what graphics settings I use, I'm only getting 7-10 fps. I have an nVidia GeForce 1060 with 6GB of RAM. nVidia Inspector shows the GPU going between 0% to ~30% utilization. Basically, the game seems to barely use the GPU at all.

Any ideas?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Ynglaur posted:

I'm facing a weird issue. No matter what graphics settings I use, I'm only getting 7-10 fps. I have an nVidia GeForce 1060 with 6GB of RAM. nVidia Inspector shows the GPU going between 0% to ~30% utilization. Basically, the game seems to barely use the GPU at all.

Any ideas?

What is your CPU?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ynglaur posted:

Any ideas?

Do you have an integrated video card as part of your motherboard? It's possible the integrated card is turning on and taking over. Not uncommon to happen on laptops, but can also happen with desktops too.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Ynglaur posted:

Any ideas?

is it set to integrated graphics or something? TW should definitely push your GPU a bit more than that

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Scott Forstall posted:

a wizard that isn't often useful (maybe swap with a plague priest? was my next thought)

What school and spells are you using? There's virtually no spell caster in the game that lacks the capability to be frequently useful.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Finished my first very hard / hard campaign as Repanse in Mortal Empires. This was my third campaign after doing normal / normal ME as Thorgrim and hard / normal Vortex as Mazdamundi, and I was expecting a step up in difficulty, but this was actually way easier than the other two, lol. I would highly recommend it for getting one of the vh / legendary achievements. Her situation in the Southlands is so secure, and the Bret buildings seemed killer for making money and keeping high order.

Before that I dipped my toe into very hard with another Thorgrim campaign, and the first 30 turns of that trying to break out of the Dwarf starting zone was like pulling teeth. With Repanse I felt basically no pressure on my territory all game. Then I confederated the other Breton factions and got even more killer heroes and LLs. By the end I was running around with two groups of five stacks taking whatever I wanted, and each army had four-to-five high level paladins. It was silly. I had fun, though. It's nuts how much difficulty can change just based on starting situation. I think Thorgrim and Mazda were both listed as easy starts, too, and I don't know if I buy it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

thorgrims campaign absolutely relies on taking mount gunbad in the first 30 turns so you can afford a third army.

the dwarves have got left behind a bit as other factions power crept, but they can be a stalwart single player faction once youre established

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mazdamundi has a sweet heart start on Vortex because the Skaven clan near you to the North will very rarely declare war(Spineless) and get stuck fighting Dark Elves anyway. So you have Skeggi, then your choice of enemies and a ton of empty ruins to colonize as you please. When you want to barrel into Lustria as long as any of the other 5(!) Lizardmen factions are alive you can buddy up and they'll be buffers for you and your mainland is still separate from the thunder dome.

Thorgrim is Hell, Grimgor will have a 20 stack down your throat every 4 turns like clockwork on Normal alone. I had to rush Gunbad with Thor's stack and repel Grimgor successfully once with half an army and a garrison anywhere in the meantime.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Doomykins posted:

Mazdamundi has a sweet heart start on Vortex because the Skaven clan near you to the North will very rarely declare war(Spineless) and get stuck fighting Dark Elves anyway. So you have Skeggi, then your choice of enemies and a ton of empty ruins to colonize as you please. When you want to barrel into Lustria as long as any of the other 5(!) Lizardmen factions are alive you can buddy up and they'll be buffers for you and your mainland is still separate from the thunder dome.

Thorgrim is Hell, Grimgor will have a 20 stack down your throat every 4 turns like clockwork on Normal alone. I had to rush Gunbad with Thor's stack and repel Grimgor successfully once with half an army and a garrison anywhere in the meantime.

Yeah, I don't think I was ever close to losing as Mazdamundi, but I had a really hard time affording an army since their units are so expensive, and this might just be a vortex vs ME thing but everyone except the little Empire colony south of me hated my guts the whole game, where as Thorgrim and Repanse were basically putting together the super friends. Even my fellow lizardmen hated me until the very end of the campaign, when they more or less grudgingly allowed me to confederate them and take their sweet, sweet magic tablets.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

I just started a dwarf game with Grombrindal - I think the better opening strategy is to rush black crag rather than gunbad. Build a garrison and put a backup lord in squighorn and gnashrak will never be able to threaten you as you expand south and cripple the strongest greenskin factions.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
As the tomb kings, is there anything you can do to get books off allies without betraying them?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I didn't bother allying anyone, so not sure. Settra does not wait! to get his books

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

In contrast to the usual dwarf ball of death, I've managed through cunning machinations as Von Carstein to keep every dwarf faction alive yet small, plus getting Averland, Solland, Stirland, and Talabecland sweet on me.

So it's the Honourable baby-kissing Good Guy Vlad von Carstein and his buddies against the meanie Emperor and his Greenskin friends.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Finally bothered to play a game past Chaos, though it's getting to the point where managing armies and settlements is a chore and I'll probably stop it once I own all of Lustria and Naggarond as Lokhir.

Not entirely sure how Malekith went from owning all of Naggarond and Ulthuan around the time of the Chaos invasion to having half of Naggarond conquered by Lothern and the other half conquered by The Empire and Kislev, ultimately winding up with 2-4 settlements there. He's slowly losing Ulthuan to Brettonia and Nakai, who can somehow colonize settlements now. I think it has something to do with this strategy:

Those are each full 20-stack arks. At this point, there were no nearby Empire armies, and the arks have been sitting there idle for the past 3-4 turns.

Fucker has basically no territory left and still won't confederate.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thoughts following my latest Chaos Warriors run, which is coming to a close:

1. Running around the frozen North forcing tribes to join you is cool, but it should be clear what tribes can be reawakened. I know from Googling that you can awaken one tribe from one settlement in each of the Northern regions, but I shouldn't need to Google that.

2. Tribes I've reawakened shouldn't be able to confederate out of being a vassal with me! It means you have to wipe out every non-vassalised Norscan tribe (not the guys across the sea though, for some reason they don't seem interested in confederation) if you want to keep your vassals, and while you're doing it your vassals might randomly decide to join the tribe you're already fighting.

3. It takes way longer to get Archaon than the other two legendary lords, so start with him.

4. Sigmund doesn't have a worthwhile niche. Archaon's got his knights and Chosen buffs, the dragon ogre has his dragon ogres, Sigmund has marauders, which are trash you want to bypass as soon as possible. Maybe if you could get Marauder champions they'd be worth it, but you can't.

5. Dwarfs are definitely the toughest early-game opponents, get as many armour-piercing units as you can to make them a lot more manageable. Skaven are about twice as tough as any other opponent.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Updating my drivers seems to have fixed it. Apparently the drivers from a few weeks ago have issues because who knows why.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Gort posted:

Thoughts following my latest Chaos Warriors run, which is coming to a close:

3. It takes way longer to get Archaon than the other two legendary lords, so start with him.

4. Sigmund doesn't have a worthwhile niche. Archaon's got his knights and Chosen buffs, the dragon ogre has his dragon ogres, Sigmund has marauders, which are trash you want to bypass as soon as possible. Maybe if you could get Marauder champions they'd be worth it, but you can't.

If you mean Sigvald, he is by far the best lord and you should start with him. The Hellcannon gives him the best starting army and once Sigvald gets regeneration and perfect vigor with his armor, you can send him on the wall in a siege and it is impossible to lose unless you run out of time.

Also has the absolute best start position for chaos. You’re right that marauders arent good, which is why you disband the marauder recruitment building turn one and start recruiting 100 armor chaos warriors turn 3, ignore Norsca completely, and head directly to kislev for one of the easiest campaigns (repanse is the other).

Doing this, you get Archaon on turn 20 or whatever, not that you need him.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Those are each full 20-stack arks. At this point, there were no nearby Empire armies, and the arks have been sitting there idle for the past 3-4 turns.

Yeah Malekith has some problems:

That's 6 full Arks sitting on top of a reef, taking attrition damage, turn after turn. And it's not like they don't have anything to do, Tyrion is burning the North as that's happening.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

There busy fighting amongst themselves as to whom should lead the grand campaign to retake the north.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

I just started a dwarf game with Grombrindal - I think the better opening strategy is to rush black crag rather than gunbad. Build a garrison and put a backup lord in squighorn and gnashrak will never be able to threaten you as you expand south and cripple the strongest greenskin factions.

Yeah I agree, this was my approach as well. Send your main force south, using the garrisons and a smaller second army to defend from the northern incursions which seem to come much slower, like every 10ish turns. Sometimes you get lucky and they send no one because they're fighting with Zhubad or Slayer guy whose name I forget. Pretty critical to ambush a lot in the first 10 turns and then slowly work south. Once you get Black Crag they are totally hosed and your economy can start steamrolling. Then you can grab Gunbad at your leisure and actually be able to defend both.

Getting walls in the first 2 settlements is super important too, those dwarven garrison forces are really good and I beat back multiple stacks easily using them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I like trying for Blood River valley. Hard to defend an open 4 territory province but Barak Varr lets you connect with other port empires and you can seriously jump start your trade income. It certainly helps the province itself can produce Dye, furs, and salt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

I like trying for Blood River valley. Hard to defend an open 4 territory province but Barak Varr lets you connect with other port empires and you can seriously jump start your trade income. It certainly helps the province itself can produce Dye, furs, and salt.
This highlights my big problem with the Grombrindal/Thorgrim start in Karaz-a-Karak - if you do well, the other Dwarfs do not want to confederate because there is no threat to them, so you either end up with super ugly borders with incomplete Provinces, or surrounded by a hugbox of other Dwarf factions that will never want to confederate.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This highlights my big problem with the Grombrindal/Thorgrim start in Karaz-a-Karak - if you do well, the other Dwarfs do not want to confederate because there is no threat to them, so you either end up with super ugly borders with incomplete Provinces, or surrounded by a hugbox of other Dwarf factions that will never want to confederate.

This definitely happened in my current dwarf game, but I’ve actually found it to be a pretty tolerable outcome. Barak Varr and Karak Azul are both top five factions and loyal allies. They’re fielding a lot more armies than I could if I ruled over their land. My borders aren’t pretty, but anyone declaring war on me has found themselves in a rough situation.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
until, for whatever loving reason, they declare on each other

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This is why I like the Region Trading mod. Fine, I'll just buy you fuckers out, I can afford it anyway.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

until, for whatever loving reason, they declare on each other

That'll be a nice little fight. Once I'm done exterminating the Skaven and any traitorous/unaligned Dwarf clans, I may kick it off myself.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Are there any rumours or indications that orks are gonna get looked at and see some cool new gameplay features? Had a hankering for a grimgor campaign.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The thread consensus is that orks are going to get a rework (and accompanying DLC, maybe with a startpos on elf island) this year. I can't point to any actual evidence for that, but it's the prevailing rumour here and elsewhere.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
CA devs have said outright that a greenskin rework is going to happen, and back in October/November they said it would be with the next DLC after the quality of life update patch. So we're probably going to see it in the next couple months.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

albany academy posted:

Are there any rumours or indications that orks are gonna get looked at and see some cool new gameplay features? Had a hankering for a grimgor campaign.

play sfo

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Ammanas posted:

play sfo

N..no!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

CA devs have said outright that a greenskin rework is going to happen, and back in October/November they said it would be with the next DLC after the quality of life update patch. So we're probably going to see it in the next couple months.

Sick