Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I have the opposite problem occasionally. An interesting gig pops up on my radar, I explain that I work remote right now and having to commute again would mean I'd require a fairly substantial salary increase to make it worth my while, and then we amicably end the conversation because I'm way outside of their price range.

Just out of curiosity, what do you set your "would commute" price to? Mine's closing in on $20k/yr right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you set your "would commute" price to? Mine's closing in on $20k/yr right now...

Good question, this is always a fun game

Federal maintenance and depreciation is $0.59/mile

20 miles each way * 0.59 * 300 days a year = $7080

$100/mo for insurance, $200/mo for gas, $3600

That's $10,680

If you pay for parking at home $200, plus $5/day downtown, additional $3110/yr

Total let's just round up to $15,000

Plus the added time/stress of actually taking it for service, dealing with it when it breaks down, vandalism, plus how much you value your time while actually commuting, say $50/day... That's another $15,000, total $30,000

I'm sure you can game the numbers in either direction, $20,000 is probably an ok number too.

Commuting sucks and adds the equivalent of one work week a month spent in your car, or at least it did for me at one point.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

before i did remote i had to do 3h/day on a bus + train + subway, naturally in the scorching heat and all of the three absolutely packed (for reference, this is a "good" day. no, really).
you'd have to pay me more than 30k to convince me to do it again.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I have a 1 hour (each way) train commute currently. It kind of sucks, but my startup is fine with me working on the train so I just shave an hour off my day and do that to make it more manageable. If I moved closer, I probably wouldn't be able to get a seat easily to do this, so it's a good compromise for me.

Of course, the real challenge becomes concentrating when some jackass is talking loudly on their phone for the whole ride, but I'd still choose that over driving in Bay Area traffic any day.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

vonnegutt posted:

Depends on where the commute would be to. Most likely, I would be commuting to somewhere in Manhattan. This would make my daily commute go from 0 minutes to about 4 hours, if not longer. I just bought a house and am not interested in moving. A commute like that and we're talking at least 50k a year for me to even consider it, and even then I'm not sure I'd bite. Hell, the cost of commuting alone would be somewhere in the range of 6-10k, so even an offer with a base salary that's 15k more is barely an increase.

Somewhere where my commute would be an hour or two driving daily commuting, I could see doing it for 25-30k if the other benefits were great and/or it was a substantial step up career-wise.

I've been at the point for the past 4 years or so where I don't really "feel" raises in that it doesn't vastly improve my quality of life, so directly trading quality of life in exchange for more money is a pretty tough sell. I got a 10k raise last year and my reaction was "oh, that's nice. that will help recoup the massive amount of money I spent on buying a house and getting married in 2019 a little bit faster", but other than that it didn't even really register.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 11, 2020

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

vonnegutt posted:

The amount goes up exponentially with distance. Half hour by car in non-gridlocked traffic, 20k, Bay Area commute, you'd have to pay me enough to retire inside of a year.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

The amount goes up exponentially with distance. Half hour by car in non-gridlocked traffic, 20k, Bay Area commute, you'd have to pay me enough to retire inside of a year.

Commuting aside, the burden of being in an office all day sucks. I have a lovely spine and sometimes laying down for an hour is the only way to ensure that I'm not in awful pain for the rest of the day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Playing the "live in midwest and work for NYC company" game means my current annual comp as a remote is probably 50% higher than what I could get from a job where I live.

Even if an employer were literally next door to my house and there was no commute at all, it'd still be a raw deal salary-wise.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Playing the "live in midwest and work for NYC company" game means my current annual comp as a remote is probably 50% higher than what I could get from a job where I live.

Even if an employer were literally next door to my house and there was no commute at all, it'd still be a raw deal salary-wise.

this but 3rd world

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

kitten smoothie posted:

Wanna get that game someday

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Inacio posted:

this but 3rd world

They already said that

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
One of the downsides of working for a bit larger fully distributed company is that they know wage arbitrage and if you move to Thailand they will probably cut your pay somewhat. At a lot of other companies where it's not distributed first, you're probably not under the same kind of scrutiny.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22331804

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I have an interview with a company in an industry that I find interesting, and would have me doing work I find interesting. Gonna go back to being a database monger :toot:. But the weirdest thing is...they don't do any coding or whiteboarding stuff? I'm confused as hell, is this a new trend? Because I hate whiteboarding, but it's also just a thing I've noticed at a few job interviews recently. They even have a disclaimer in the interview schedule that there is a systems design question but this involves no code and that I should not bother studying algorithms.

I mean I'm not gonna protest but I'm confused.

EDIT: NYC, if it matters.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So, fun week. In addition to working on my new engineering team's first major feature release since last summer (so a lot of bug hunting and rapid deployments), I was asked to fly in to Boulder for what I thought was going to be a check-mark interview to move into the technical engineering manager role that was opening up.

The BU was hosting a big conference for the sales teams. When I landed, the boss said, "hey come straight to the conference to see the presentation we're about to give." Cool. Get to the conference. "Hey, so we're going to pull you up on stage in about 5 minutes to introduce you as our engineering manager."

So... Cool. Got a promotion and was announced to 80% of the employees across 4 companies. Great. Can I tell you how bizarre it is to be somewhere that everyone, all of whom you've never met, knows your name? And these are sales people, they remember names. And to close off the evening, they rented out an entire brewery with an open bar where, after two beers at altitude, I as asked very deep and introspective questions about the direction of the BU, 3/4ths of which I only know so much about.

Meeting with the other 2 engineering managers (one's over 2 of the products) the next morning. Great. Now I know a whole lot more about the BU... Characterizing my team's needs to the new dir of development already. Awesome. We're the golden child, at least as far as our codebase goes, so it's pretty good there.

And then the old boss flies out (family emergency). The new boss flies out as the conference departs. Team still doesn't know, despite me basically already performing the role. Hell, I haven't even gotten to talk to them about title & pay.

This how things go down in your companies? Cause whoo boy, was that entertaining. I mean, I was working towards this direction since I took the job, but not exactly how I expected things to work out.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I have an interview with a company in an industry that I find interesting, and would have me doing work I find interesting. Gonna go back to being a database monger :toot:. But the weirdest thing is...they don't do any coding or whiteboarding stuff? I'm confused as hell, is this a new trend? Because I hate whiteboarding, but it's also just a thing I've noticed at a few job interviews recently. They even have a disclaimer in the interview schedule that there is a systems design question but this involves no code and that I should not bother studying algorithms.

I mean I'm not gonna protest but I'm confused.

EDIT: NYC, if it matters.

Some senior level gigs don't require coding. They think they can tell if someone is BSing, or they want to make the interview process as quick and painless and drum out fakes in the first 3 months.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

kayakyakr posted:

So, fun week. In addition to working on my new engineering team's first major feature release since last summer (so a lot of bug hunting and rapid deployments), I was asked to fly in to Boulder for what I thought was going to be a check-mark interview to move into the technical engineering manager role that was opening up.

The BU was hosting a big conference for the sales teams. When I landed, the boss said, "hey come straight to the conference to see the presentation we're about to give." Cool. Get to the conference. "Hey, so we're going to pull you up on stage in about 5 minutes to introduce you as our engineering manager."

So... Cool. Got a promotion and was announced to 80% of the employees across 4 companies. Great. Can I tell you how bizarre it is to be somewhere that everyone, all of whom you've never met, knows your name? And these are sales people, they remember names. And to close off the evening, they rented out an entire brewery with an open bar where, after two beers at altitude, I as asked very deep and introspective questions about the direction of the BU, 3/4ths of which I only know so much about.

Meeting with the other 2 engineering managers (one's over 2 of the products) the next morning. Great. Now I know a whole lot more about the BU... Characterizing my team's needs to the new dir of development already. Awesome. We're the golden child, at least as far as our codebase goes, so it's pretty good there.

And then the old boss flies out (family emergency). The new boss flies out as the conference departs. Team still doesn't know, despite me basically already performing the role. Hell, I haven't even gotten to talk to them about title & pay.

This how things go down in your companies? Cause whoo boy, was that entertaining. I mean, I was working towards this direction since I took the job, but not exactly how I expected things to work out.

To be honest, I think that could not have gone better. Grats!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://ipirozhenko.com/blog/google-interview-2020/

(i know i've been posting about this topic a lot, but since i last whined to my friends about my experiences i've been getting linked a ton of interesting articles on the topic :v:)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Google's attitude towards hiring is very much "gently caress you, we're Google" and I'm not sure that knowing how they do it is really all that helpful unless you want to work there.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
What is there more to say at this point? It feels like we've been over FAANG interview styles a million times.

The questions they ask aren't representative of the work you'll be doing, nor the way you'd do it (you don't code on a whiteboard). The interviewers are highly-subjective and have their own biases so even if you're good it's a crapshoot. You have to study heaps to revise all your CS data structures/algos, and to practice thinking out loud and coding on a whiteboard. Yeah it sucks but that's the way it is if you want the big FAANG-bux.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Inacio posted:

https://ipirozhenko.com/blog/google-interview-2020/

(i know i've been posting about this topic a lot, but since i last whined to my friends about my experiences i've been getting linked a ton of interesting articles on the topic :v:)

I believe this post is being honest, but this isn't the standard way the interview process goes.

As far as I know a single remote interview is standard, if the results of that are borderline there may be another remote interview, but most people either get invited to the on site interview or are rejected. In my experience four remote interviews is highly unusual.

Their first frustration point is accurate, team selection happens after the interview process. If you don't find a team you are interested in I believe you have up to a year to find one.

Their second frustration point is technically accurate, but I think it is incredibly unlikely that someone would be rated Hire or Strong Hire from all their interviewers and then be rejected unless their interviewers were just all incredibly bad in some very obvious way. Like, if all of your interviewers asked you to do FizzBuzz and you nail it each time.

Regarding their third tip

quote:

You should cover each and every line of code with tests in the coding interview. Just say it out loud when the interviewer asks you to test your function, and only after that, start writing your tests.

This is going to be interviewer specific, but I would recommend discussing the edge cases you can think of, walk through some examples in your code, and then ask the interviewer if they want you to write out test cases. The interviewer probably has some additional followup questions for you and may want to move on to those than watch you explicitly write out a bunch of tests.

The most important thing to remember about the interview process is that is isn't optimized for the interviewee. The goal isn't to hire everyone who is good enough to work for the company, it is to hire someone who is good enough to work at the company. If 90% of qualified candidates are rejected and 10% get hired that is working as intended so long as the number of unqualified candidates who get hired is close to 0. There is a considerable amount of luck involved in getting hired. Getting rejected isn't an indication of whether or not you are a good developer or would be a good employee, but getting through the interview process is a strong indication that you will be a good developer (at least anecdotally this seems accurate to me given the people I work with).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultrafilter posted:

Google's attitude towards hiring is very much "gently caress you, we're Google" and I'm not sure that knowing how they do it is really all that helpful unless you want to work there.
my background gets me a new recruiter assigned about once a year, recently they assure me that they'e *totally* revamped the embedded side to Not Be Like That

Jose Valasquez posted:

The goal isn't to hire everyone who is good enough to work for the company, it is to hire someone who is good enough to work at the company. If 90% of qualified candidates are rejected and 10% get hired that is working as intended so long as the number of unqualified candidates who get hired is close to 0.
idk if we need to regurgitate their internal BS justifications for hazing out here in the open, who is this helping

minato posted:

What is there more to say at this point? It feels like we've been over FAANG interview styles a million times.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

idk if we need to regurgitate their internal BS justifications for hazing out here in the open, who is this helping

It is hopefully helping people who don't pass an interview and feel like a failure because of it, which happens a lot.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

getting through the interview process is a strong indication that you will be a good developer (at least anecdotally this seems accurate to me given the people I work with).
Going by my coworkers there a few years back this absolutely isn’t the case. They have ample false positives and false negatives like any other company.

And now that they’ve cut a bunch of reasons for working there and added a lot of reasons to leave I can’t imagine it’s gotten any better. Everyone I worked with there who was good has since gotten out.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Going by my coworkers there a few years back this absolutely isn’t the case. They have ample false positives and false negatives like any other company.

And now that they’ve cut a bunch of reasons for working there and added a lot of reasons to leave I can’t imagine it’s gotten any better. Everyone I worked with there who was good has since gotten out.

I can only speak to my own experience, the 50 or so folks I've worked with in 3 years have all been great.

That's not to say I like them all, but they have all been technically skilled.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

to try and move away from the interview topic, something related to that is that i legitimately don't understand why people want to work for FAANG so bad.
megacorporations seem to be the type of place to work in that will have a very dehumanized view of their employees.
do they seriously pay that much more? all the mythical "130k average" salaries seem to be in places like SF where cost of living is high enough that you're not going to be rich anyway.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Levels.fyi is pretty accurate and a non-senior software developer at Amazon makes around 200K USD per year (with about 70K in stock per year). Netflix is even higher in total compensation usually and pays it in base salary with no stock. Both those companies are in the FAANG group and outside of San Francisco as are Apple, Facebook and Google (though you can still live in SF and commute to most of them). Even with a higher cost of living you definitely do come out ahead.

If you've been there a few years then that number can only go up and up and as a senior or staff developer you can definitely hit 300+ in total comp (especially when the stock is doing well). Additionally most non-FAANG companies get very competitive to hire ex-FAANG people so after doing some time you can have your pick of pretty much any smaller company.

Edit: Probably most are dehumanizing but most jobs period are so I don't know. Startup, FAANG, financial institution, they can all be absolutely terrible places to work and that's not limited to the valley.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 17, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Inacio posted:

to try and move away from the interview topic, something related to that is that i legitimately don't understand why people want to work for FAANG so bad.
megacorporations seem to be the type of place to work in that will have a very dehumanized view of their employees.
do they seriously pay that much more? all the mythical "130k average" salaries seem to be in places like SF where cost of living is high enough that you're not going to be rich anyway.

You might get lucky and find something you like, and then you get to stick around and accumulate stock grants for a few years. And if you don't, then you get to put a FAANG company on your resume and that will open doors for you.

There's also the fact that passing the interview gives you bragging rights. That matters a lot more than it should.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Inacio posted:

There are a few reasons. First, 130k is incredibly low for FAANG, even outside of the bay area or NYC. New grads make more than that. https://levels.fyi is accurate in my experience if you want to understand the levels of comp we're talking about.

Having worked at several companies before Google I'm treated better here than I was at other companies. It isn't perfect and there are things I would change, but it is still a very good place to work. I work 40 hours a week and I'm encouraged to talk to my manager if I feel pressured to work more than that based on the amount of work on my plate. The few times I have worked more than 40 hours I've been properly compensated. I find the work to be interesting and generally enjoy what I'm doing.

I have gripes as well (most with the company leadership rather than with my day to day job, although there are some of those as well), but all in all after 3 years the good outweighs the bad so far, and whenever that balance tips in the other direction having Google on my resume will look good.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

As an expecting father I am 100% on board with Big G's excellent benefits and 12 weeks baby leave.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Try $250k+.

I don't think it's necessarily entirely about the money (though that is of course a big factor). Keep in mind that for a long time if you were a professional computer toucher, most of your job options were in non-tech-oriented companies, and your department was often viewed as a necessary-but-unpleasant requirement to do business, not a driver of the business. Being able to work at a company that put tech first was a big draw in the late 90's / early 2000's. Couple that with the companies being young and putting forward an idealistic, "change the world" kind of approach to business, and of course the perks -- you had high-paying, meaningful work at a place where you felt valued by the company and were treated really fantastically well.

EDIT: took some time to watch a video and f;b

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
$130k is doable in a major metropolitan city in a non-FAANG, with much easier interviews.

Specifically: Boston.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

idealistic, "change the world" kind of approach to business

This is fatalism, not idealism

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Jose Valasquez posted:

It is hopefully helping people who don't pass an interview and feel like a failure because of it, which happens a lot.

Your recruiters/HR really ought to be doing that as part of the process

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Inacio posted:

130 is new grad salary, before stock.

Mid-level to senior is 200-400 total comp, or even more if the stock does exceptionally well.

Making 300k in a high cost city is still a much faster way to get rich than 100k in a low cost city. Plus tech hubs have almost unlimited opportunity for new jobs, for now.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone know anything about the MSFT interview loop? Engineering Manager in particular?

Been talking with them but not sure what to expect.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Inacio posted:

"mythical 130k" lmao, the "average" in there is just too much

FAANG's are household names. Folks at those companies get to work on products that end up with millions of people. My code runs on a billion devices and I have fantastical things like "dedicated QA resources," back at my last startup my code ran on 10 devices on a good day and QA was "me in a hat on thursdays".

Jose Valasquez posted:

are you paid for this service to the company or are you just carrying water like, as a hobby

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

are you paid for this service to the company or are you just carrying water like, as a hobby

Are you paid to be the most abrasive person in this thread?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Planning on getting the CKA this year after a few years of being in the dev biz. Is the official course worth the $200, or am I better off putting together my study pack from other materials?

EDIT: It's $200 if you buy it with the CKA exam itself.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Inacio posted:

places like SF where cost of living is high enough that you're not going to be rich anyway.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Levels.fyi is pretty accurate and a non-senior software developer at Amazon makes around 200K USD per year (with about 70K in stock per year). Netflix is even higher in total compensation usually and pays it in base salary with no stock. Both those companies are in the FAANG group and outside of San Francisco as are Apple, Facebook and Google (though you can still live in SF and commute to most of them)..

High cost of living like SF, and then you mention those places being outside of SF as if that helps any? Maybe Seattle, I'm not personally familiar, but c'mon as if Los Gatos, Cupertino, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, or Mountain View, or any of the surrounding areas, are really substantively better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
When people say San Francisco they mean the whole metro.

People on the right coast don’t care that you think Oakland is a different place. It isn’t.

See also: LA and Orange County are the same place.