Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

went to see the Mr Rogers movie, and it was really... nice.
Kind of feel that I miss out on a chunk of background/zeitgeist to it by it not being a show we grew up with here, though.

Oh, yeah, nostalgia helps a bit there. That, and being familiar with Fred Rogers and realizing just how well Tom Hanks nailed the mannerisms and style of the man. Definitely an interesting movie, and way outside my normal interests, but I'm glad I went to go see it.

bandman posted:

I’m in Dallas for the week for work (near the intersection of I-20 and I-45). Someone tell me where I should eat. I’m not gonna go out and see poo poo, so I should at least have good food on the company dime.

Not my side of town, I'm afraid, and I'm terrible at remembering/recommending places to eat and see.
If you can get to Deep Ellum, just east of Downtown Dallas, there's a bunch of stuff there. Some really good, some really pretentious. I like Angry Dog for hot dogs and burgers. There's a Chop House Burgers in Downtown, if you can find a place to park or ride the light rail. The aforementioned Pecan Lodge is also in Deep Ellum, BTW.

BTW, if you do find little time to see stuff, the Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas World Aquarium, and Perot Museum of Nature and Science are all clustered just north and east-ish of Downtown proper. Dealey Plaza (where JFK was shot) and the Sixth Floor Museum are nearby, too. Also the House Of Blues.

bandman posted:

I work on landfills, so being in bad/desolate areas isn’t out of the ordinary :v:

Well, that makes sense, given that the landfill is one of the few things right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Every day gets me closer to my :sever::hf::shepicide: breaking point. At this rate I think it'll happen before the end of the month. :sigh:

I have a place to go, it'll be rent-free for a couple of months (which is good, I'm stuck paying half the rent on this place until May), but I'm starting over with essentially the clothes on my back and a couple of pieces of furniture (dresser, end table, a couple of lamps.. and I may leave the dresser, it's a 1950s massive MCM piece that tips the scales at over 400 lbs without the drawers.. it's a bitch to move). I got rid of everything I owned when I moved except for said furniture and clothing, a PC, plus some really nice dishes (gently caress yes, I am keeping those).

Upside: my cat is moving in with friend next week. He has an old man cat (19?) that's deaf and mostly blind, and his cat seems pretty lonely now that his ex-gf's cat is gone. My cat is a paperweight that occasionally eats and shits, and he's been living with GF's boss for a year and a half now. Neither are aggressive at all toward other cats or dogs. I'm hoping going from 700 sq ft to 1400 sq ft will give my cat a bit more room to waddle around, and maybe, just maybe, run a little. Or at least get more controlled feeding.

Downside: two broken Subarus, one cup house. There's a Harbor Freight up the street, I suspect I'm gonna be spending a lot of money on wobble joints and weird long-reach pliers. At least my Subaru isn't throwing any codes; his is throwing over 25 (which is where both his AccessPort and my generic BT dongle seem to poo poo themselves). Mine can pass smog legit, his has no chance in hell of ever passing smog or safety again.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea and its waaayyy easier. Once you learn a few tricks these cars are cake. Even the spark plugs everyone says are a pain, take off the intake on that side and the washer bottle (and maybe battery) on the other and theyre no big deal.

I need to do plugs soon - I was looking at them and pretty much figured the same, except I was guessing maybe unbolt the fuse box too.

I need to fix that drat fuel line under the bracket on the passenger side again too. Pretty sure I just need to slap a new clamp on, the hose is new and the proper ID. It only dribbles when it's <50F outside (rare here), but makes me paranoid as hell that gas is dripping on a hot engine.

I'm worried the washer lines might break when I finally do plugs, they seem kinda brittle. :ohdear:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 10, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: goddamnit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 10, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea and its waaayyy easier. Once you learn a few tricks these cars are cake. Even the spark plugs everyone says are a pain, take off the intake on that side and the washer bottle (and maybe battery) on the other and theyre no big deal. With the DOHC ones same thing but the trick is to get a socket and extension that are the exact length of the hole and you can get a ratchet between the cam cover and frame easy. The first time I took off the top mount intercooler on a turbo one it took me like an hour and tons of swearing, after that time it takes like 10 minutes.

It probably sounds stupid saying these are tricks and yea I work on Subies a lot but I looked at it from every angle, literally, and there was no way to get that 02 sensor unplugged on the Ranger without

1. snapping the christmas tree stub holding it to the bracket
2. removing the bracket that had bolts that were a fucker to get to between the intake and firewall
3. soak the entire truck in gasoline and send it to car heaven and buy another Ranger with good 02 sensors since Rangers are cool when you dont have to work on it

To take it apart I got a long flathead screwdriver and jammed it into the clip up from the bottom then slung a bungee cord around the wires to yank it out and hope I didnt ruin the wiring so I'd have to remove and replace the sensor. To get it back together used the same screwdriver jammed into the clip so I could line it up then used my 3ft extension to push it back together. It doesnt sound bad but you have to work with each arm on either side of the exhaust pipe without no room or depth perception since you can only get one eyeball on the connector.

The bellhousing bolts took me like 4 hours to get them all. I do work slow and methodically but it was ridiculous, a lot of it was the starter that once I took the oil filter off made it way easier so thats a good trick to know on that one. The nice thing was that the space between the bellhousing and firewall wasnt too bad and I wonder if that part sucks on the 4.0s, I bet it does.

I've unhooked the exhaust from my stupid Subarus and swapped the engines so many times at this point that I can usually do the upstream O2 sensor connector one handed from above. Reach down between the filter housing and firewall, grab the sensor plug, drag it up and guide the harness plug into it with my thumb till the pegs are in the slots, push on the lever and it seats.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

I've unhooked the exhaust from my stupid Subarus and swapped the engines so many times at this point that I can usually do the upstream O2 sensor connector one handed from above. Reach down between the filter housing and firewall, grab the sensor plug, drag it up and guide the harness plug into it with my thumb till the pegs are in the slots, push on the lever and it seats.

Haha yep, same since I have mine strategically zip tied so it doesnt touch the axle instead of in the original spot after messing with the loving exhaust on all my Subarus and taking engines in and out so many times I made that connector my bitch so it speeds up the process of whatever I need it out of the way for as fast as possible.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Anyone else waiting for the bottom to fall out on all the sub prime lending happening in the automotive world? I see it occasionally reported by some financial outlets here and there and it makes sense. Here in Utah I just see too many things with wheels/engines that are very big/shiny/expensive. People seem to leverage the holyballs out of themselves for $100K boats that they get to use four months out of the year and pull with their $70K diesel truck which is usually pulling their $30K side by side when the boat sits.

It is just a bit of madness and I want to be ready to take advantage when it all hits the fan. Anyone else planning for the same?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what result are you expecting? more repossessed used market inventory?

i don't think you're going to see the bottom fall out in the same way that it did with the housing market. there's still gonna be demand for cars and people are still gonna stretch payments. some cars will get repo'd and some lenders will go bankrupt but someone will acquire the asset. the strain on the budget of even a thousand dollar F-350 King poo poo Of gently caress Mountain Edition is less than that of a house and more people are gonna figure out ways to make it happen.

now if people start losing their jobs maybe it looks a bit different but i don't see what kind of tremendous advantages are going to come to you or i, the deal savvy average consumer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Anyone else waiting for the bottom to fall out on all the sub prime lending happening in the automotive world? I see it occasionally reported by some financial outlets here and there and it makes sense. Here in Utah I just see too many things with wheels/engines that are very big/shiny/expensive. People seem to leverage the holyballs out of themselves for $100K boats that they get to use four months out of the year and pull with their $70K diesel truck which is usually pulling their $30K side by side when the boat sits.

It is just a bit of madness and I want to be ready to take advantage when it all hits the fan. Anyone else planning for the same?

Subprime mortgages are back in style. I'm waiting on another major meltdown and buying property like I considered last time... and should have. The $170k duplex I was looking at just sold for $299. :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I will say I was surprised when I went to get a car loan and it was automatically a 72 month loan instead of a 36 or even 48 month like it was last time. That is a drat long time to be making payments on a toy. Does explain why so many people selling used cars still have a lien on them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Never going to happen. The people who have toys can generally afford them, and everyone else can't afford to be without a car.

The 'sub prime lending' here is a reaction to the simple fact that most of the US doesn't make enough money to actually pay what cars cost anymore, because wage growth hasn't kept up with inflation much less growth in productivity for 50 years.

Min wage in the 1960's is equivalent to $20/hr in 2020. Min wage in 2020 is $7.25. Median hourly wage $15. Well more than half of the US makes under the equivalent of minimum wage in the 60's.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Subprime mortgages are back in style. I'm waiting on another major meltdown and buying property like I considered last time... and should have. The $170k duplex I was looking at just sold for $299. :(

I've been waiting for the housing bubble in Vancouver to pop for years. The house in the suburbs my dad bought in '93 for $145k is now worth north of a million. I live in the same town as him and a two-bedroom condo is in the neighbourhood of $450k.

I'm looking forward to finally being able to buy a house at the ripe young age of 75.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I will say I was surprised when I went to get a car loan and it was automatically a 72 month loan instead of a 36 or even 48 month like it was last time. That is a drat long time to be making payments on a toy. Does explain why so many people selling used cars still have a lien on them.

Yeah. The lowest term I was even offered up front (not that I'd go below it) on my latest loan was 60 months.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what result are you expecting? more repossessed used market inventory?

The results I was considering would be a higher inventory count which would drive costs down.

Liquid Communism posted:

Never going to happen. The people who have toys can generally afford them, and everyone else can't afford to be without a car.

The 'sub prime lending' here is a reaction to the simple fact that most of the US doesn't make enough money to actually pay what cars cost anymore, because wage growth hasn't kept up with inflation much less growth in productivity for 50 years.

Min wage in the 1960's is equivalent to $20/hr in 2020. Min wage in 2020 is $7.25. Median hourly wage $15. Well more than half of the US makes under the equivalent of minimum wage in the 60's.

Good thoughts here, thanks for that.

My whole train of thought here is really that there are most new cars flat aren't interesting to me anymore. Cars that are interesting and cool will eventually/probably go away. So it is just random day dreamings; wondering if anyone else ever thinks about stuff like this.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah. The lowest term I was even offered up front (not that I'd go below it) on my latest loan was 60 months.
I'm an idiot and didn't want to deal with all the hoops and steps for an auto loan so I took out a three year personal loan. Interest is about double but I'll have it paid off in 1.5-2 years anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm an idiot and didn't want to deal with all the hoops and steps for an auto loan so I took out a three year personal loan. Interest is about double but I'll have it paid off in 1.5-2 years anyway.

i feel like it's really easy to get an auto loan

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My last auto loan, I filled out 15 lines of info and got a response in 15 minutes; picked up some additional paperwork from a local branch. Total time invested was around 35 minutes. I feel like it's pretty easy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

It's super easy, it's just hard to finish it and get the money with an seller who doesn't have a local bank, has a lien on the vehicle, and has never sold private party. I had qualified for an auto loan when I was shopping e-Golfs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meanwhile my own bank wouldn't give me a loan...

... because I missed one of the identity verification questions. One of them was a year of car I'd owned, options were 87, 88, 89, or none. I asked how far back it went, they said up to 5 years. So I said none. They said I failed. Couldn't say which question, but that was the only one that it could be.

I owned two 1988 Honda Accords... in the 1990s. :fuckoff:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

... because I missed one of the identity verification questions. One of them was a year of car I'd owned, options were 87, 88, 89, or none. I asked how far back it went, they said up to 5 years. So I said none. They said I failed. Couldn't say which question, but that was the only one that it could be.

Now think about how many people don’t know what model car they have, much less the year, and wonder how that question could even be considered useful for identification.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

STR posted:

Every day gets me closer to my :sever::hf::shepicide: breaking point. At this rate I think it'll happen before the end of the month. :sigh:

I have a place to go, it'll be rent-free for a couple of months (which is good, I'm stuck paying half the rent on this place until May), but I'm starting over with essentially the clothes on my back and a couple of pieces of furniture (dresser, end table, a couple of lamps.. and I may leave the dresser, it's a 1950s massive MCM piece that tips the scales at over 400 lbs without the drawers.. it's a bitch to move). I got rid of everything I owned when I moved except for said furniture and clothing, a PC, plus some really nice dishes (gently caress yes, I am keeping those).

Upside: my cat is moving in with friend next week. He has an old man cat (19?) that's deaf and mostly blind, and his cat seems pretty lonely now that his ex-gf's cat is gone. My cat is a paperweight that occasionally eats and shits, and he's been living with GF's boss for a year and a half now. Neither are aggressive at all toward other cats or dogs. I'm hoping going from 700 sq ft to 1400 sq ft will give my cat a bit more room to waddle around, and maybe, just maybe, run a little. Or at least get more controlled feeding.

Downside: two broken Subarus, one cup house. There's a Harbor Freight up the street, I suspect I'm gonna be spending a lot of money on wobble joints and weird long-reach pliers. At least my Subaru isn't throwing any codes; his is throwing over 25 (which is where both his AccessPort and my generic BT dongle seem to poo poo themselves). Mine can pass smog legit, his has no chance in hell of ever passing smog or safety again.

I need to do plugs soon - I was looking at them and pretty much figured the same, except I was guessing maybe unbolt the fuse box too.

I need to fix that drat fuel line under the bracket on the passenger side again too. Pretty sure I just need to slap a new clamp on, the hose is new and the proper ID. It only dribbles when it's <50F outside (rare here), but makes me paranoid as hell that gas is dripping on a hot engine.

I'm worried the washer lines might break when I finally do plugs, they seem kinda brittle. :ohdear:

I don't have a dog in this fight other than you were nice to me when I first posted in here so I hope for good things for you, but what're you doing? Do what makes you happy, but... you're so clearly unhappy with your significant other. Got your cat taken care of so what're you staying for? A 400lb dresser you don't want?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My whole train of thought here is really that there are most new cars flat aren't interesting to me anymore.

This is my whole issue right now, nothing new is worth the money to me right now. Test drove a new Wrangler the other day and was completely unimpressed for the 32k price tag. Would have been ok for a toy but for a DD no way, I thought the newer Wranglers would drive better but I guess there's only so much you can do with an ox cart :shrug:

Buddy of mine just got a brand new base Tacoma Pre Runner for 23k, and although I hate the way trucks ride it's the only thing I've sat in that seems worth the money under 25k if anything for the utility alone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crash safety and MPG are the focus points for car design now, which makes for a lot of fleets that aren't all that interesting for enthusiasts.

I'm probably going to be a dinosaur until they stop selling fossil fuels because I flatly refuse to buy a car with an entertainment system. Especially one that's remotely accessible by any means.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It seriously is. More so if you're after a Nissan/Chrysler. Used is easy as all gently caress, I don't know how my parents still get auto loans with the 800,000 repos on their record.

The Prong Song posted:

My last auto loan, I filled out 15 lines of info and got a response in 15 minutes; picked up some additional paperwork from a local branch. Total time invested was around 35 minutes. I feel like it's pretty easy.

Basically yeah. I took a small loan for the new shitbox since it'd be favorable in my odds if it were paid off in a year instead of the 5 loving years. I went in planning to pay cash so whatever, I'll happily make a couple bux leaving the money in savings. It was also my first loan after uhhh 58 turds cars.

Liquid Communism posted:

Crash safety and MPG are the focus points for car design now, which makes for a lot of fleets that aren't all that interesting for enthusiasts.

I'm probably going to be a dinosaur until they stop selling fossil fuels because I flatly refuse to buy a car with an entertainment system. Especially one that's remotely accessible by any means.
Yup and Yup.
I hate modern infotainment systems although I hate not being able to have a conversation at 75 more.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In general if you have a credit score higher than 500 it's easy. Lower than 500 its not. The lower the number, the interest rate increases exponentially.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I took the Fit to my buddy's shop to get it up on a lift for diagnosis of the loose steering. Figured it might be inner tie rod ends.

Fuckin' nope. It's the goddamn rack. Gots a big ol' dead spot in the middle. Turn the wheels left or right a bit and everything is nice and tight, but the middle gives me like 2-3mm of play at the tie rods. If it was loose all over I could tighten up the adjusting nut, but with the play being localized to the center I feel like that would give me tight steering in the middle and binding everywhere else.

Honda wants just under $1100 for a new rack and just under $300 for the electric power steering motor :shepspends:

I love the car and I'm almost willing to pay it but with the age I think I'm just going to source a used rack, hopefully from a car that hasn't been absolutely beat to poo poo like mine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

I took the Fit to my buddy's shop to get it up on a lift for diagnosis of the loose steering. Figured it might be inner tie rod ends.

Fuckin' nope. It's the goddamn rack. Gots a big ol' dead spot in the middle. Turn the wheels left or right a bit and everything is nice and tight, but the middle gives me like 2-3mm of play at the tie rods. If it was loose all over I could tighten up the adjusting nut, but with the play being localized to the center I feel like that would give me tight steering in the middle and binding everywhere else.

Honda wants just under $1100 for a new rack and just under $300 for the electric power steering motor :shepspends:

I love the car and I'm almost willing to pay it but with the age I think I'm just going to source a used rack, hopefully from a car that hasn't been absolutely beat to poo poo like mine.

I just checked car-part, and there's one with the pump for my '07 Fit at a JY 45 minutes away for $70. I think you'll be fine with a JY rack.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sharkytm posted:

I just checked car-part, and there's one with the pump for my '07 Fit at a JY 45 minutes away for $70. I think you'll be fine with a JY rack.

Yeah I found one same year online for like $110. Ordinarily with Honda I'm a big fan of new OEM, but in this case (and the case of my CR-V's driveshaft) Honda can kick rocks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah I found one same year online for like $110. Ordinarily with Honda I'm a big fan of new OEM, but in this case (and the case of my CR-V's driveshaft) Honda can kick rocks.

JY low miles is the way to go. So many replacement parts have sky-high pricing because they're either stored for years (which aint free), or are low-run manufactured. Just get one with a warranty and check it out early.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe on a new car or a valuable car, but in the $3k-$6k range? Good loving luck. The car is the collateral, and you're basically underwater 6 months into the loan thanks to depreciation, so a lot of lenders won't bother unless your APR is so high that you'd be better off with a personal loan

And at least with a person loan, you can buy private party sales without jumping through hoops

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

I got this question when doing the verification for my most recent loan - they asked about the NB Miata I sold over a decade ago.

The other ridiculous thing was that they included a sheet about how the address I provided was "significantly different" than the one in my credit report. I've seen my reports, I pull them every year, and the only addresses in them are all valid (parents, first apartment, second apartment), and the only one I've been at in the last decade is the one I provided. loving stupid poo poo, but it was faster than waiting for an emailed copy of a utility bill to snake its way through the intertubes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I too feel like its easy to get an auto loan. My credit is excellent, they usually only ask for my drivers license and ssn. I have an idea of what my interest rate should be before I go in, and I let them know that. Last time the ram dealer was able to beat what I thought was the best rate I could find from a CU. No buying down points involved. Their first offer was also $10k off MSRP on a $58k truck which was acceptable to me. Maybe I could have done better but its hard to tell.

The whole process is really easy if you know what numbers should be before you go in and have good credit. You should also know if the make and model your after is worth buying or not. Some cars your better off leasing.

Which brings me to the next topic. I saw that vinwiki video on lease hacking a while back and brushed it off as too complicated. Its the ultimate difficult numbers game with a dealer. But drat, I just checked out the leasehackr forums and brokers are offering tacomas for $200ish a month. Which kinda makes sense, because the residual value is super high and your essentially paying for a loan on the depreciation. Thats a hell of a deal too, yeah you don’t own it but toyota care covers maintenance until 25k, and it has a warranty, so you just pay a couple hundred a month to drive it, not worry, and get a new one every 27 months.

My wife suggested leasing whatever car I want once our current vehicles are paid off this month. I don’t keep cars very long and I like new poo poo so its super tempting. I also like the concept of driving a new BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Volvo but not owning its questionable engineering and build quality. An M5 is still a little out of my price range even with a unicorn of a lease, but lots of interesting vehicles aren’t.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you have good credit and an income then hit up lightstream or whatever the gently caress they are now. I've gotten loans from them for my S2000 and M3 and they basically just put money in my checking account after a credit check. I get the title and everything.

I'm finally getting around to selling the winter wheel set I ran on my GTI. I forgot that you have to list things at a higher price than you want to sell them for so that people feel like they're getting a deal. I got several messages within a few hours that were "what's the least you'll take?". The price they're listed at.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

builds character posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight other than you were nice to me when I first posted in here so I hope for good things for you, but what're you doing? Do what makes you happy, but... you're so clearly unhappy with your significant other. Got your cat taken care of so what're you staying for? A 400lb dresser you don't want?

I'm on the lease. I can't pay rent on 2 places, and I'm not going to stick her with the remaining 3 months. I'm gonna break the news when we get the lease renewal. And there's the fact that we've known each other for almost 30 years - I do care about her and her feelings, but she's a bit too crazy for me (also I miss dick :gay:)

I do want the dresser (I love mid-century modern furniture, she hates it), it's just a bitch to move without a truck. Might see if one of my supes can help me move it, he has a pickup and enough muscle to probably lift the drat thing over his head with one hand. Everything else I own can be moved in my Brokeback easily enough.

Goober Peas posted:

In general if you have a credit score higher than 500 it's easy. Lower than 500 its not. The lower the number, the interest rate increases exponentially.

My credit score was high 500s at the time (low 600s now), and I had a cosigner with a mid-800s credit score. Still got denied by a few lenders, including the credit union I keep my savings account at.

The dealer also ran us through something like 20 different banks, then wouldn't tell me any of the terms (just kept playing the four square game, then the guilt trip game when I refused to budge). Wound up just buying my Brokeback at a mom and pop lot for $1500 down, with a payment arrangement for the rest (which they wound up saying "ehhh don't worry about it, we made a lot more on your old car than we thought we would" - so it wound up being a bit over $1600ish with TTL).

I'm glad I wound up in the Brokeback. It's paid for, the miles are relatively low, and while it needs work, it hasn't been anything I haven't been able to tackle myself. And it's the nicest car I've owned (power seats, seat heaters, ABS, etc).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 11, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rdb posted:

I too feel like its easy to get an auto loan. My credit is excellent, they usually only ask for my drivers license and ssn. I have an idea of what my interest rate should be before I go in, and I let them know that. Last time the ram dealer was able to beat what I thought was the best rate I could find from a CU. No buying down points involved. Their first offer was also $10k off MSRP on a $58k truck which was acceptable to me. Maybe I could have done better but its hard to tell.

The whole process is really easy if you know what numbers should be before you go in and have good credit. You should also know if the make and model your after is worth buying or not. Some cars your better off leasing.
Everything is easy with good credit. Want to buy more house than you can afford, sure no problem. Want a new car you can't afford, here you go.

STR posted:

The dealer also ran us through something like 20 different banks, then wouldn't tell me any of the terms (just kept playing the four square game, then the guilt trip game when I refused to budge).
I was originally looking at the e-golf which was never sold in TN so I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with California dealerships. After the first one tried some screwed up version of four square over the phone then another one wanted to keep playing the 'talk to my manager' game I told the remaining they get one 'talk to manager' and any bullshit games/upsells/etc I'm hanging up and blocking their number. Still got fed up after a few more and bought something local private party. I despise dealerships and this just reinforced it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I cannot say enough about how good credit will save you from almost any terrible ordeal that may befall you.

I have no idea how poor-to-lower-middle-class people are meant to ever get out of any hole with the way things are set up. Oh that's right, 30 years of republican policy was deliberately laid out to prevent exactly that, I almost forgot

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

I cannot say enough about how good credit will save you from almost any terrible ordeal that may befall you.

I have no idea how poor-to-lower-middle-class people are meant to ever get out of any hole with the way things are set up. Oh that's right, 30 years of republican policy was deliberately laid out to prevent exactly that, I almost forgot

I was somehow able to keep my credit good through some fairly rough years. I don't know how, but I'm so glad I did because that's such a hard hole to climb out of.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm making my way out of that hole, slowly but surely. I've managed to dispute (and remove) drat near every negative entry on my report except for an unpaid cable bill (which I do legit owe, and it's still held by Charter). There's a few late payments (30+ only) that are still hurting, but the worst of it has fallen off.

A good friend of mine (and future roommate) has a credit score in the 800s, but finding someone to rent to him is difficult. He had a felony when he was 15, but because he hosed up his probation in the last few months of it (after he turned 17 - adult age in TX), he has a felony as an adult. :downsgun: I've been trying to talk him into dropping the money on a lawyer to get it expunged for ages, but :effort:.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 12, 2020

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ether Frenzy posted:

:lol: if you think it stops at the lower-middle-class. They're not going to be happy until we fully return to a feudal system.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine was in the 500s at one point from a combination of using credit cards to survive and unemployment. Fixing it required changing my mindset about what I needed to survive and what I was willing to do for work. It took a move several states away and a decent factory job to fix the work part of it. The move wasn’t easy either, at that point I had what I could fit in a laundry basket, bummed a ride and slept on the floor until things worked out.

I don’t want to sound bootstraps and republican (I’m not) but you still can if your smart and willing to put up with a lot of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

:lol: if you think it stops at the lower-middle-class. They're not going to be happy until we fully return to a feudal system.

"Middle class" is interesting because what we think of as middle class in the us is actually the top end of the third quartile, income wise.