Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Absolutely do not never ever go to a place in person while they’re open for business to drop of resumes, good loving lord.

Look I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here, so yeah you're fuckin correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Absolutely do not never ever go to a place in person while they’re open for business to drop of resumes, good loving lord.

Not disagreeing, I think it's stupid, but quite a few CL ads tell you to do just that, usually specifying certain hours like 2-4pm. :shrug: It's what made it so hard for me to find work back when my car was busted. I wanted to apply online or call to set up an interview time, but they didn't give a way to do so.

Probably so they could weed out undesirables like me and toss my resume/application in the trash the second I walked out. :smith:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I mean, if they’re telling you too during a specific time then go for it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
So when do you drop a resume off then? When they’re closed and the doors are locked?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When I answered the in person ones once upon a time it was usually before start of business.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I mean, when people come during a slow time of the day, our host or whoever takes the resume and makes a few notes about demeanor, dress, etc, and puts it in our resume folder. I never go to take it personally and I wouldn’t expect our chef to either

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

mllaneza posted:

Yep. I'm a fan of George's from the show, but that's a huge amount of underpaying. gently caress him.

And now I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement of the new judging team.

They announced back in October. Jock Zonfrillo, Melissa Leong and Andy Allen.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/oct/10/masterchef-australia-announces-new-judges-jock-zonfrillo-melissa-leong-and-andy-allen

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not disagreeing, I think it's stupid, but quite a few CL ads tell you to do just that, usually specifying certain hours like 2-4pm. :shrug: It's what made it so hard for me to find work back when my car was busted. I wanted to apply online or call to set up an interview time, but they didn't give a way to do so.

Probably so they could weed out undesirables like me and toss my resume/application in the trash the second I walked out. :smith:

Most restaurants local to me prefer in person applications. When I advertise looking for help I always give a time frame and include an email address and phone number. Personally I can't get a read on someone from a resume, I need to meet them in person to see if they'll fit.

I understand the negativity I'm getting from others in this thread regarding showing up during business hours. I guess for me I would rather have to tell someone to come back the next day than to call them leave a voicemail and play phone tag to set up an interview. I also understand that it's easier for the applicant to do it electronically which is why I give that option.

I also live in an area where unemployment is essentially non existent which makes hiring incredibly difficult. I'm basically at the point where if someone applies they're hired. Hiring seasonal workers in a saturated environment is not fun I assure you.

JD my fingers are crossed for you, I wish you all the luck.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Chalk is Cheap posted:

JD my fingers are crossed for you, I wish you all the luck.

Thanks, Chalk. :unsmith:

For those of you playing along at home: Despite them not specifying hours to drop in within the CL ad, I'm not an idiot and waited until 2pm to fill out the app for the dish position. Turns out a guy I used to work with at the place with the literal poo poo floors defected there. He fuckin' txted his chef on the spot asking if I could start working TONIGHT. I guess I... don't suck? I hung around for a while, but chef never got back to him. Finally the FOH manager took my app and swore they'd be in touch. I guess they REALLY need BOH. Yay, someone more desperate than me!

The biggest pickle is that my pay-per-month phone is dead, I literally don't have the $35 to top off my Virgin phone. I gave them my husband's number and explained the situation, but now I'm sitting at home F5-ing my facebook messages in the event he gets a call (he's at work right now) and needs to pass the info on. Why does my phone always kick out right when I need it? :( I've had an interview with another, non-industry place, and now I have no idea if they want to hire me, either. I sent them an email as a "hey, just following up, btw, here's a better phone number to reach me", but...

I feel like such a colossal gently caress-up , even when things start going right. :smith:

Chalk, what magical land do you live in with next-to-zero unemployment? I want to go there.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I am pretty sure most major cities are facing BOH shortages at this point. Tons of places are hiring here in Orlando, but no one wants to pay more than they have to.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

Thanks, Chalk. :unsmith:

For those of you playing along at home: Despite them not specifying hours to drop in within the CL ad, I'm not an idiot and waited until 2pm to fill out the app for the dish position. Turns out a guy I used to work with at the place with the literal poo poo floors defected there. He fuckin' txted his chef on the spot asking if I could start working TONIGHT. I guess I... don't suck? I hung around for a while, but chef never got back to him. Finally the FOH manager took my app and swore they'd be in touch. I guess they REALLY need BOH. Yay, someone more desperate than me!

The biggest pickle is that my pay-per-month phone is dead, I literally don't have the $35 to top off my Virgin phone. I gave them my husband's number and explained the situation, but now I'm sitting at home F5-ing my facebook messages in the event he gets a call (he's at work right now) and needs to pass the info on. Why does my phone always kick out right when I need it? :( I've had an interview with another, non-industry place, and now I have no idea if they want to hire me, either. I sent them an email as a "hey, just following up, btw, here's a better phone number to reach me", but...

I feel like such a colossal gently caress-up , even when things start going right. :smith:

Chalk, what magical land do you live in with next-to-zero unemployment? I want to go there.

Northeast US. Portland ME area. Unemployment rate right now is insanely low and restaurants per capita is one of the highest in the nation. It's definitely a great market for workers. Not that long ago I was making $20 per hour to flip eggs, no management responsibility. Obviously I'm too stupid to stick with that and took on a job with responsibility.

Don't beat yourself up, you're not a gently caress up you're just someone who needs to pay bills and eat and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

I am pretty sure most major cities are facing BOH shortages at this point. Tons of places are hiring here in Orlando, but no one wants to pay more than they have to.

Florida goon! Here is our thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032523&pagenumber=579&perpage=40

And yeah the city is loving awful right now for cooks. I last year got all my people raises but we are still not fantastic pay wise.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Northeast US. Portland ME area. Unemployment rate right now is insanely low and restaurants per capita is one of the highest in the nation. It's definitely a great market for workers. Not that long ago I was making $20 per hour to flip eggs, no management responsibility. Obviously I'm too stupid to stick with that and took on a job with responsibility.

Don't beat yourself up, you're not a gently caress up you're just someone who needs to pay bills and eat and there's nothing wrong with that.

:stare: $20/hr to flip eggs. I had to negotiate to get $9/hr to make breakfast in one of the busiest, hippest places in town. And after nearly two years and getting "promoted" to shift lead, they pulled that weird rear end "well, we'll pay you an extra 75 cents an hour for every hour that you're the most senior person actually on the clock" bullshit of a "raise".

The place I just applied for is $8/hr, and I'm looking at that like "wooo! It's not the federal minimum wage of $7.25! AND they tip out their dishpit? Sign me up!"

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Check your PMs

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

:stare: $20/hr to flip eggs. I had to negotiate to get $9/hr to make breakfast in one of the busiest, hippest places in town. And after nearly two years and getting "promoted" to shift lead, they pulled that weird rear end "well, we'll pay you an extra 75 cents an hour for every hour that you're the most senior person actually on the clock" bullshit of a "raise".

The place I just applied for is $8/hr, and I'm looking at that like "wooo! It's not the federal minimum wage of $7.25! AND they tip out their dishpit? Sign me up!"

The job market here is just completely different. Cost of living is quite a bit higher I'm assuming as well(I'm assuming you're in the Midwest) . Gentrification has been a real thing over the past decade or so. If I advertise at $16 hourly I'm lucky to get an applicant a week.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chalk is Cheap posted:

The job market here is just completely different. Cost of living is quite a bit higher I'm assuming as well(I'm assuming you're in the Midwest) . Gentrification has been a real thing over the past decade or so. If I advertise at $16 hourly I'm lucky to get an applicant a week.

honestly a bunch of “nice” places here pay less than like, fast food chains etc. because they’re more prestigious or whatever horseshit

I don’t think I could afford to live where I do on a flat $16/hr, but that doesn’t seem to stop plenty of places from only starting cooks at $9, which is dangerously close to federal poverty levels and according to a study conducted by the Center on Law and Policy, doesn’t meet the standard for covering “basic living expenses,” in the state to wit, “food, shelter and transportation”

even the better places (wage-wise) are only putting cooks on at $12 or $13, which is still below the income threshold to be considered self-sufficient for a single adult with no dependents, according to the same study

I guess my point here is gently caress the industry and get out if you can

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Thanks to the BOH shortages, a lot of cooks work more than 40 hrs a week and earn overtime. They also save on their food expenses by comping or straight up stealing food from the restaurant.

I think that keeps many of them afloat. That and the drugs and alcohol.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

Hauki posted:

honestly a bunch of “nice” places here pay less than like, fast food chains etc. because they’re more prestigious or whatever horseshit

I don’t think I could afford to live where I do on a flat $16/hr, but that doesn’t seem to stop plenty of places from only starting cooks at $9, which is dangerously close to federal poverty levels and according to a study conducted by the Center on Law and Policy, doesn’t meet the standard for covering “basic living expenses,” in the state to wit, “food, shelter and transportation”

even the better places (wage-wise) are only putting cooks on at $12 or $13, which is still below the income threshold to be considered self-sufficient for a single adult with no dependents, according to the same study

I guess my point here is gently caress the industry and get out if you can

$16 hourly isn't really a livable wage here to be self sufficient. We've been paying well above local industry standards for a few years now and we're still feeling the hiring crunch. It doesn't help that we're seasonal.

Also yeah, gently caress the industry and get out if you can.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s not just the industry, it’s the minimum wage. If somebody can’t survive off of the minimum wage, then maybe we as a country need to re-evaluate our definition of minimum.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
"minimum isnt meant to be a living wage'- Idiots

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
As an ex industry goon in Australia its been amazing watching a number of super high profile chefs get done for underpayment of employees. When I worked in Sydney is wasn't uncommon to get paid $13-15 and hour when minimum wage is north of $20 an hour. It wasn't as big of an issue where I first started cooking but they'd do odd poo poo like combine sick pay and holiday loadings into your hourly rate. Same went for the additonal pay you'd get for working Sunday's. Very much poo poo but entirely above the board but sanctioned because staff would vote on it and most of them wouldn't bother to read the pay agreement before voting.
So far Jamie Oliver, Neil Perry, George Colombarus and Heston Blumenthal have all been caught out mostly through the use of unpaid overtime which is most certaintly not a condition built into the award over here. I don't know if it'll change things in the wider industry especially now that hospo workers aren't entitled to penalty rates for working weekends but it's certainly putting a big spotlight on a number of issues that have very much been part of the culture of the hospitality industry in AUstralia.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Maestro posted:

It’s not just the industry, it’s the minimum wage. If somebody can’t survive off of the minimum wage, then maybe we as a country need to re-evaluate our definition of minimum.

Never forget, the 1960's minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, is $20 in 2019 bucks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm getting much more in shape finally, but my god my hands are dry from all of the washing. Like, skin itching and cracking around the knuckles dry. Anyone have hand lotion recommendations? I've been using some St. Ives Daily Moisture that I had sitting around, and it is NOT cutting it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hey soup restaurant goon: I looked at doing a similar thing because winter here is very long and often very harsh. A strong emphasis on homemade soups, but also with some nice sandwiches and more sandwich and salad focused summer menu. Very small dine-in area, basically a lunch counter, and an emphasis on carry-out business lunches and lunch meeting catering. What ultimately stopped me was that without an absolutely ideal location with a kitchen already built in it, the overhead would just be too great for it to work out here. There was just no way I could reasonably make the math work based on what I know about the price points and average # of customers per lunch service for my major competing businesses, especially if I wanted to be able to pay myself at all.

I'd say that if you really want to go for this idea, spend a bunch of prep time doing good menu planning, putting together a rock-solid summer menu as well, figuring out your catering program for business lunches, etc. and lying in wait for the perfect location. That being said, depending on where you live, the perfect location may not exist/ ever come available while you're able to pursue it.

As an aside, the perfect location for me existed here before I was even thinking about opening anything. Formerly a doughnut shop and cafe, it was a smallish standalone building on a corner between some office buildings and a sprawl of dentists offices, chiropractors, tax and law offices, and small retailers. Decent parking and a drive through window, no tables but a long counter and a big ol percolator. What must have been ample kitchen space based on the size of the building and the size of the dining area. It sat empty for a few years after it closed (owners got too old to do tons of scratch doughnuts every day, no one took up the mantle). Then it got gutted and turned into a satellite office for a jeep dealership :(

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Never forget, the 1960's minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, is $20 in 2019 bucks.

This is something I've been looking into, but I'm having trouble finding good sources that are pure inflation (as in money printed) vs cost of living (cpi index). I believe you, but how did you arrive at that figure?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheParadigm posted:

This is something I've been looking into, but I'm having trouble finding good sources that are pure inflation (as in money printed) vs cost of living (cpi index). I believe you, but how did you arrive at that figure?

Your "pure inflation" statistic doesn't exist.

The UK produces 3 estimates: Consumer Price Index, Consumer Price Index + Owner-Occupier's Housing Costs, and Retail Price Index, with CPI being the most commonly reported.

The US produces 2 main ones, Consumer Price Index and Personal Consumption Expenditures Price Index. CPI is again most common.

...if you just want the US money supply, go to the Fed, but that number doesn't really mean anything. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MZM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm getting much more in shape finally, but my god my hands are dry from all of the washing. Like, skin itching and cracking around the knuckles dry. Anyone have hand lotion recommendations? I've been using some St. Ives Daily Moisture that I had sitting around, and it is NOT cutting it.

Cetaphil, and maybe also wear gloves.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Myself and my staff swear by this, it's magical https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...i39.iW2B7_q8SW8

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I was big on shea butter when I was doing dish for the army. Back when I was a teenage apprentice at a ceramic shop (you think dish is hard on your hands? try working with pottery clay all day!) my boss swore by baby oil.

I recommend either because they usually don't have a fragrance or lanolin, which actually exacerbates stuff if you have a mild wool allergy (my sister has always had skin issues, and it took ages for her to figure out that half the creams/lotions she was trying were actually making matters worse bc of lanolin). Shea butter's also nice to have around because it helps with scarring, which seems to be an inevitability in any kitchen job.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 12, 2020

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’m rooting for you, Jacq. Best of luck from one industry goonette to another

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

So on our opening night tonight Clover decided to batch out credit cards at 12:30 when management was trying to figure tip-out. That was swell. It's now set up to batch between 5 and 6am.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A tale as old as time:

I, and many others at my work, were hired to positions like busser, coat check/cover, security, line cook, on the assumption that there was potential for advancement to a bartending position. There isn't a lot of staff turnover but one of our top bartenders recently gave up her Thursday night shifts.

Our manager hired a new bartender.

It was done extremely underhandedly; last Saturday one of our other bartenders couldn't make it into town (because of the railway blockades in solidarity with Wet'suwet'en) and while I was working security our manager told me we'd have "a celebrity guest bartender" to cover him. I knew the guy, he's a very nice person and all but late in the evening the manager started openly talking to him about "we'll show you more of this stuff on Thursday" so it immediately became clear that he was a permanent hire, and it really sucked the air out of the room; things were very awkward while we were closing up.

As you might imagine, none of us are happy. We're all very capable bartenders and have proven as much when we've been called up to stand in for or support bar on unexpectedly busy nights. I've started a group chat with a few other staff members (and titled it 'MUTINY') to form a plan of action. We're going to approach the manager individually with the same set of concerns; that had he promoted from within it would benefit all of us but instead he sneakily hired someone new which actually hurts all of us (new guy explicitly said he can work any position), that what we actually needed was a new cook and a temporary security guard (since I'm the only licensed guard on staff, our other temp guy got rattled by an incident and recused himself from the position leaving me working the position both weekend nights for less money than I'd make on the floor, even though I made it abundantly clear that I didn't want that), and that none of us have heard anything but positive reinforcement about our work as bartenders (apparently we were being vetted and "none of us are ready" for the position, none of this was made clear to us).

If he doesn't listen, we're going over his head to the owner, and myself and at least two others are 100% ready to put in our two weeks.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 13, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Good luck, but I'd make sure your resume is polished up in advance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Be aware that if you go at the owner as a group like that, you're all getting fired over the next 90 days as he finds replacements.

He's already demonstrated he has no plan to promote from within, so you should be shopping around anyway if you want advancement.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah you aren't going to do anything but get yourselves all fired. Jump ship at the first opportunity, or get over it and move on.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

gently caress bartenders and how much they earn.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

gently caress bartenders and how much they earn. the system that allows bartenders to make what they do while BoH staff gets hosed

Ftfy

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You misspelled “server”

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's super fun getting "checks" though as FoH and all the tip fuckery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Disargeria posted:

gently caress bartenders and how much they earn.

Nah. This is a poo poo attitude that doesn’t solve anything. If you’re that mad, become a good bartender.