Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bad Munki posted:

That's cool, but I have one question: are you a nascar driver? :v:

I'm not, but I do like high speed runs right above the grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was just noticing that you only seem to turn left, or at least have a very strong tendency. :)

e: I don't mean this is a negative way, just that you may not even realize you're doing it and it might be something to work on?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 3, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I have noticed it, and I am trying to work on it. No idea why it happens that way, unless it's something to do with the way I hold my radio. I'll have to do a stick cam and see.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe, like, setting up slaloms or something would help. Or lay out a track and then follow it CW and then CCW. Whatever the case, once you force your brain into it enough I'd wager something will click and then it won't matter at all. But I'm basing this on other experiences, I'm just sitting here on a couch, I don't even fly. :'(

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Why not?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha! Too many other projects.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I hear that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i really really want the decent brands to start making vista brushless whoops.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I work at an electronics recycling company and someone recently recycled a Parrot Bebop 2, battery and charger. So rather than send it to the shredder to get melted down for precious metals, I’m gonna try to get it back in the air.

The battery is extremely swollen and the light on the charger does not come on when I attempt to charge it. I’m assuming the battery is shot, so I bought one of these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZMR96ZN because it was the cheapest way to find out if the battery is really dead (more likely) or if the drone and charger are both dead (less likely but still possible).

The drone has a micro USB port on the back. Is there any way to power the electronics off this to see if the drone works at all? If the drone works I’ll probably invest in some more batteries and maybe the physical controller.

I really hope I can get it going because there is no way I’d spend the coin for something this advanced myself!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you've already bought the extra battery just stick it in and see what happens? IDG what you're asking for. That third contact might be temp sensor or the battery might have an onboard BMS I doubt you could power the drone by just sticking a bench PSU to the aircraft contacts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m just impatient and the snowstorms in the Midwest mean the battery was supposed to be here yesterday but isn’t yet.

And I’m impatient. I’ve since done more research and the micro USB port is only for firmware updates and stuff with the battery already connected for power.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2020

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm looking into getting a drone to film my rugby team's games.

Is there an entry level drone that could hover over the sideline and follow a tracker that would be given to the ref? I would like the filming to be as easy as possible.

The Phantom 3 Standard seems like it might be good option, but it doesn't seem like it supports following a tracker other than the pilot.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m just impatient and the snowstorms in the Midwest mean the battery was supposed to be here yesterday but isn’t yet.

And I’m impatient. I’ve since done more research and the micro USB port is only for firmware updates and stuff with the battery already connected for power.

That's too bad, I only have experience with betaflight stuff but the USB port can usually power the flight controller and let you futz with binding it to a transmitter and checking its settings/sensors.

You could always try wiring 12V directly to the contacts and holding it in place with some tape to see if you can get signs of life.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm looking into getting a drone to film my rugby team's games.

Is there an entry level drone that could hover over the sideline and follow a tracker that would be given to the ref? I would like the filming to be as easy as possible.

The Phantom 3 Standard seems like it might be good option, but it doesn't seem like it supports following a tracker other than the pilot.
i think only skyDO has a physical tracker. also for the love of gently caress don’t fly over people.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

evil_bunnY posted:

i think only skyDO has a physical tracker. also for the love of gently caress don’t fly over people.

You mean the Skydio 2?

If only that model has a standalone tracker, are there drones that are smart enough to recognize the ref and follow him?

And yeah it would be flown over the sideline that doesn't have people.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Dji has some decent tracking on models as old as the Spark, and you can get those pretty cheap. I dunno if it's on the Mavic Mini, but that's basically one step up from the Spark in terms of price.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yeah plenty of AP drones do that. you just boop what you want on your controller and it’ll do it’s best. i think some DJI products can do follow the controller as well.

i don’t know if any of them can do object tracking while bound to a predefined zone tho.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yergacheffe posted:

That's too bad, I only have experience with betaflight stuff but the USB port can usually power the flight controller and let you futz with binding it to a transmitter and checking its settings/sensors.

You could always try wiring 12V directly to the contacts and holding it in place with some tape to see if you can get signs of life.

Well my battery came in today, the drone powers up, the cooling fan runs. When I connected to the app, it updated to the latest firmware. Everything seems ok. Now to actually figure out how to fly it.......

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nice dude! Enjoy your cheap new toy

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So TBS dropped this Tango 2 remote, which is nice to hold, I might add, and went on to promise proper OpenTX support soon, instead of their supposedly temporary fork called FreedomTX.

Except that the OpenTX developers went paraphrased "What the gently caress? Who promised what?"

Then TBS dropped their dev branch on Github, with OpenTX reacting paraphrased "What the gently caress is this terrible poo poo?"

TBS/Trappy, never change.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

So TBS dropped this Tango 2 remote, which is nice to hold, I might add, and went on to promise proper OpenTX support soon, instead of their supposedly temporary fork called FreedomTX.

Except that the OpenTX developers went paraphrased "What the gently caress? Who promised what?"

Then TBS dropped their dev branch on Github, with OpenTX reacting paraphrased "What the gently caress is this terrible poo poo?"

I was wondering about this whole "Oh we'll just get our poo poo merged w/ no problem" yarn they were spinning. Amazing :allears:

Got a link to the PR?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

TBS is such an infuriating company. They'll come up with some really cool stuff, but then they'll have 1 quirk that will make it nearly unusable.
Like their TBS Core Pro...you have to use their crappy GPS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well my battery came in today, the drone powers up, the cooling fan runs. When I connected to the app, it updated to the latest firmware. Everything seems ok. Now to actually figure out how to fly it.......
Score! Don't fly over people, stay in LOS and practice first in an open space, you'll figure it out.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've no idea how bad the branch is but OpenTX are notorious frsky shills so there's enough terribleness for everybody involved.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rincey posted:

I was wondering about this whole "Oh we'll just get our poo poo merged w/ no problem" yarn they were spinning. Amazing :allears:

Got a link to the PR?
https://github.com/tbs-fpv/freedomtx/commits/tbs-tango

One single huge commit, which is annoying as gently caress in itself, too. For reviewing and poo poo.

evil_bunnY posted:

I've no idea how bad the branch is but OpenTX are notorious frsky shills so there's enough terribleness for everybody involved.
There's apparently not much love for FrSky anymore, after the ACCST 2.0 backwards incompatibility bullshit and the longstanding bug in old ACCST causing a longtime support burden.

Turns out one of the unreliable link issues I was having with FrSky, way back before going Crossfire, when my friend fired up his Devo remote, was likely that bug. And that was years ago.

Anyway, the issue is that TBS did a lot of tiny changes that weren't deemed necessary, combined with a ton of code duplication. The OpenTX devs are also pissed that they weren't contacted to begin with, implicitly deemed untrustworthy, to coordinate things code wise. Apparently the Jumper T16 stuff was a huge pile of poo poo that needed tons of rework, which was ostensibly mostly done by OpenTX, and the NV14/Nirvana stuff was/is just the same (which will only hit 2.4, despite the remote existing like 2 years now). Now TBS comes along pulls the same joke. Radiomaster did it properly with the OpenTX guys and got the support for their TX16S integrated pretty quickly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyway, the issue is that TBS did a lot of tiny changes that weren't deemed necessary, combined with a ton of code duplication. The OpenTX devs are also pissed that they weren't contacted to begin with, implicitly deemed untrustworthy, to coordinate things code wise. Apparently the Jumper T16 stuff was a huge pile of poo poo that needed tons of rework, which was ostensibly mostly done by OpenTX, and the NV14/Nirvana stuff was/is just the same (which will only hit 2.4, despite the remote existing like 2 years now). Now TBS comes along pulls the same joke. Radiomaster did it properly with the OpenTX guys and got the support for their TX16S integrated pretty quickly.
It's good to hear that at least one outfit's had better luck with OTX integration, and their radio looks real nice on paper too. I love how the t16 was supposedly such a close copy of the X10 and somehow getting actual OTX onto the thing took forever and much baby-raging. I've looking to sell my x10, I just can't get used to having switches on the front plate.
Thanks for the insight!

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's apparently not much love for FrSky anymore, after the ACCST 2.0 backwards incompatibility bullshit and the longstanding bug in old ACCST causing a longtime support burden.
Yeah the accst 2.0 poo poo means p much no-one's gonna update, and I'm looking at switching all our poo poo to crossfire. It's annoying because on top of a couple of quads I've got 2 crawlers (one's 6ch too :cry: ) and multichannel planes, for which OTX mixing makes everything SO much easier.

Has anyone used those 16CH sbus decoder boards with crossfire RX'es set to SBUS?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 11, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I mean, the Tango 2 is based on an OpenTX 2.3 build and it works currently.

The issue is currently more of principle, since they promised OpenTX support, and depending on how they put the drama aside (either TBS relenting and redoing the implementation, or TBS acting like a victom), it may be coming or not. The not-thing would be annoying.

But on the other hand, not particularly a dealbreaker, at least on short term, because when giving it a thought, I'd be hardpressed to actually tell you what's different between OpenTX 2.0, which my Taranis shipped with, and the latest 2.3 build, that I have currently installed. It just depends on how TBS would proceed with their fork, if they intend to start an actual drama. I'd rather have it track a common open source solution.

I mean, there is work coming with 2.4 that syncs the mixer to the active radio modules, to reduce latency some more by avoiding timing interference. But IIRC, they merged that early in their FreedomTX branch, with what this fancy new CRSFShot being 95% the OpenTX stuff (another hilarious thing).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 11, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For those of you who fly/have flown Wifi drones like the Bebop 2, I have to guess its worth investing in the physical controller with the big fuckoff antenna on it? Granted, I have about 30 seconds of experience with my Bebop 2, but just given what I know about wifi and its congestion near me, I'm not hopeful. The drone has a return to home feature, which I have set to kick in 10 seconds after it loses signal. I'm used to flying a flying wing with a spectrum DX6i that has a range so long that I'd lose the plane before I'd lose the signal, so I'm not used to having to think about signal strength.

Is it worth it to upgrade? I feel like the camera controls on the Skycontroller black are worth it in themselves?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i’d just try it out and see if the range is a problem

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For those of you who fly/have flown Wifi drones like the Bebop 2, I have to guess its worth investing in the physical controller with the big fuckoff antenna on it? Granted, I have about 30 seconds of experience with my Bebop 2, but just given what I know about wifi and its congestion near me, I'm not hopeful. The drone has a return to home feature, which I have set to kick in 10 seconds after it loses signal. I'm used to flying a flying wing with a spectrum DX6i that has a range so long that I'd lose the plane before I'd lose the signal, so I'm not used to having to think about signal strength.

Is it worth it to upgrade? I feel like the camera controls on the Skycontroller black are worth it in themselves?

I've never had a range issue with any of my wifi controlled drones (parrot ar 2.0, dobby, dji spark), and all were just using my phone, except for the spark which I got with the controller. Haven't tried it with just the phone but I doubt it would have an issue.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Liftoff is having a free weekend coming up, would highly recommend people try it out if you're new to flying. Having a TX that runs OpenTX would be best so you can easily use it as a controller, but you can also get away with using whatever dual stick gamepad you have sitting around.

Great for building up some basic skills without having to constantly walk over to your drone and flip it when you crash it.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

https://github.com/tbs-fpv/freedomtx/commits/tbs-tango

One single huge commit, which is annoying as gently caress in itself, too. For reviewing and poo poo.

I'd tell them to maintain their own branch, no way I'm merging that poo poo.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

gently caress phone controls forever, though

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I work for a huge tech giant and we've done the exact same thing when we've tried to contribute to open source stuff... "oh this'll be so easy to get merged, don't worry!" Then it either never gets merged or takes years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CloFan posted:

gently caress phone controls forever, though

Yeah they kind of suck but it’s what I’ve got right now. You can tell the whole thing was built around the autonomous flight package they offer as an in-app purchase for the flight control app. You just set your waypoints on a google map and then the phone controls don’t matter.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

yergacheffe posted:

Liftoff is having a free weekend coming up, would highly recommend people try it out if you're new to flying. Having a TX that runs OpenTX would be best so you can easily use it as a controller, but you can also get away with using whatever dual stick gamepad you have sitting around.

Great for building up some basic skills without having to constantly walk over to your drone and flip it when you crash it.

I've got velocidrone, is there any reason to switch?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Splode posted:

I have no experience with velocidrone so I can't comment. It's a free weekend so no reason not to try it, and I'd love to hear thoughts on it from someone who's tried both!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

yergacheffe posted:

I have no experience with velocidrone so I can't comment. It's a free weekend so no reason not to try it, and I'd love to hear thoughts on it from someone who's tried both!

I'll give it a go and report back then!

I like velocidrone as it has my exact model and let's me match the betaflight tune, so the simulation is pretty spot on. However it's jank-tastic and looks pretty ugly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Splode posted:

Not really, but you might like it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I picked up a Skycontroller 1, 3 spare batteries and a crashed bebop 2 off Facebook marketplace for cheap to complement my free (now no longer free lol) bebop 2. So now I have the controller and some spares. The crashed drone had a broken motor, but the owner said that’s the only thing wrong. We’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Into the rabbit hole you go!!

How's the latency on the fpv feed to your phone? I tried dicking around on my friend's dji spark but it was unusably bad, like 2-3s delay.