Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It makes literally the exact same mistakes as every other Destiny-like. Ubisoft also said all the dlc would be free but we'll see how that ends up.

(Also the setting is far less fun than the first game.)

UBISoft actually agrees because the expansion is going back to New York City. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

controllers suck and i genuinely don't like playing games with them

i have played games with kb/m for the majority of my life and have way way more skill with it than any controller. all my muscle memory is kb/m.

i own multiple controllers but i don't feel like they're some magical device that makes everything better. maybe if you're the opposite of me and have only ever played games with controller, and that's where all your muscle memory is. but that's not everyone.

They don't magically make everything better, there are many games where kb+m is the intended and ideal controller. There are other games designed for gamepads, and although you can play with kb+m, or a DDR pad, or a wiimote, or a set of electrodes connected to your body -- I don't actually have anything negative to say about them besides a possibility the controls are not optimal according to the design. Even then, what makes PC a great gaming platform is that specifically, it doesn't have the same peripheral weakness as a console, heck, there's a way to hook up literally any consoles' wannabe proprietary peripheral and get it to work on a PC. PCs are for the people. You should always use whatever controls you dang well feel like, I was wrong to suggest you force yourself to do otherwise. PC gaming by proselytizing with the dirty alt-kbm foot forward is just a gnarly move and I can't abide it without fuss.

Kerrzhe posted:

also i have tiny hands

my nickname in highschool was "fetus hands"

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 11, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I liked long coats when I was a teen

short skirt, long jacket

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For me the problem with Division 2 was the whole "the real game doesn't start until you're max level" when getting to max level takes like 80 hours

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

UBISoft actually agrees because the expansion is going back to New York City. :v:

They're keeping the ugly swamp aesthetic though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Cool that they're maybe finally getting around to that whole "track down the fucker that started all of this in the first place" plot thread. Shame I'll have to pay $30 to see it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was a kid, then.

I was a squid, then.

Now, they've taken it all away from me.

All I have left... is Splat-a-tat-a-tat.

And I have a roller full of ink.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's vanishingly few games that I feel obligated to play with a controller. Outside of fighting games where the stick and/or d-pad is too integral to try and avoid, there's uh...I guess Metal Gear Rising if only because blade mode feels better with a joystick, but I know people have tackled that with KB+M just fine too. In generally I'd probably play DMC-likes or whatever we're calling them this week with a controller just because they involve a lot of compound movement + button + another button type stuff but I'm still open to KB+M with those.

I'm mad and will happily play racing/driving games with the keyboard and have long since adapted to how you'd actually go about doing that with any level of capability. I'm way more comfortable playing SNES games and such on a keyboard, because I spent vastly more time noodling around with emulators and stuff than I ever did handling an actual console controller. I've played all of the Arkham games, both Mordor games, and a couple Assassin's Creeds without much issue.

I'm in the same boat as Kerrzhe where KB+M is so fundamentally ingrained into my brain whereas controllers inevitably feel like I'm putting an awkward, artificial roadblock between me and the game. Sometimes I can get past it, but usually I just feel like a clumsy buffoon. Ironically, I still play Smash with a Gamecube controller for the same reason; my brain seriously struggles to parse how to play with anything else.

I'm still teetering back and forth on which I should use to try and crack into Dark Souls (again)...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:agreed: with just about all of that but i do have a controller typically for when a port is extremely bad and has little or no kb+m options. it always elicits a bit of an ugh reaction to break it out though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

PC gaming by proselytizing with the dirty alt-kbm foot forward is just a gnarly move and I can't abide it without fuss.

this isn't what i meant to do either, i meant that i play primarily PC-only games (RTS, MMO's, ARPG's) most of my life so thats what i like and what i'm used to

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know that post-apocalyptic fiction is completely widespread and the Last of Us itself was riffing on The Road but this trailer in its shot compositions and character stuff really screams Last of Us for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMwSdne6UE

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've said it before but i'll say it again, i have multiple personal gripes with controllers over keyboard and mouse, but bar none the only deciding factor and why i'll never be on board with them is having to take your thumb off half your commands in order to manipulate the camera or vice versa, with "having to move the camera with a thumbstick" being part and parcel of that. i will never, ever concede that playing a third person action game feels better with a controller when i can't whip the camera around at will in a fast, accurate manner while still having all my fingers on buttons.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hi

e: posted by accident before I was finished but okay whatevs

How's everybody doing? I have to go pick up some cat litter but that's about it. Gonna get some rice too, I think.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok well I do it just fine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mouse and keyboard for shooters would be perfect if I could get a force feedback rumble mouse that self-corrected so the rumble didn't affect aim

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

there hey there ho there you're as welcome as can be

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark souls on PC was when I bought my pc controller, I think it was how sensitive target switching was on mouse that made me do it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rumble is stupid and I always turn it off

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

controllers are way better for FPS games than trying to turn with the stupid arrow keys

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Dark souls on PC was when I bought my pc controller, I think it was how sensitive target switching was on mouse that made me do it

there was a mod fix for that which eventually got folded into the general graphics fix mod

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

there hey there ho there you're as welcome as can be

I'm still mad that this vn I was playing had some muffled song I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out what the lyrics were only to realize that it was just someone singing their own song to the tune of the mickey mouse march

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i've said it before but i'll say it again, i have multiple personal gripes with controllers over keyboard and mouse, but bar none the only deciding factor and why i'll never be on board with them is having to take your thumb off half your commands in order to manipulate the camera or vice versa, with "having to move the camera with a thumbstick" being part and parcel of that. i will never, ever concede that playing a third person action game feels better with a controller when i can't whip the camera around at will in a fast, accurate manner while still having all my fingers on buttons.

As a controller user, having to use the same thumb for camera and buttons is hosed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I would use a Rez Trance Suit for most games if I could afford it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another memory of the mickey mouse march: in band at school we had to learn that and for the recital where we played it, the band teacher told the audience that they were gonna play the mickey mouse march and that if they know the words, they should sing along. Nobody sang along. I think the teacher was a little sad about that, sad and embarrassed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

dark souls does the correct t hing by putting things on the back buttons, but most dmc a likes i feel like you dont really have to touch the camera a lot in combat, just minor adjustments

the only thing for me that absolutely requires kbm is map games and stuff. fps/shooters i prefer it but i can do controller just as fine and will use both depending on the game/if im feeling lazy. third person stuff i end up defaulting to controller even if its a shooty one.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I want one of those chair rumble things that race sim nerds have

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean i wont pick up my controller for like quake or whatever but something like destiny i use either

edit: nm i remembered i did play through a lot of quake 2 pc on pad which has no aim assist lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Stux posted:

dark souls does the correct t hing by putting things on the back buttons, but most dmc a likes i feel like you dont really have to touch the camera a lot in combat, just minor adjustments

the only thing for me that absolutely requires kbm is map games and stuff. fps/shooters i prefer it but i can do controller just as fine and will use both depending on the game/if im feeling lazy. third person stuff i end up defaulting to controller even if its a shooty one.

this is pretty much where i'm at too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jay Rust posted:

I often feel like I'm missing out on something without rumble, but I'm guessing that actual number of games that use it well is far smaller than I think.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want a Dreamcast just to play Quake III Arena on it, there is absolutely no reasonable or logical reason for this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Always a good time to repost the Predator Thronos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmHEMDPnpE

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

For me the problem with Division 2 was the whole "the real game doesn't start until you're max level" when getting to max level takes like 80 hours

It takes not even 10h to get to lvl 30...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

yeah it's not entirely a one size fits all thing for sure, plenty of games don't even have a camera you can manipulate and even more mitigate it by shifting priority away from the face buttons. but if it's a game that does have one, i'm going to do my damndest to try to get it functioning with a keyboard and mouse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It seems with these GaaS these days the game is completely overhauled for the better six months in, probably best to jump in after it's been operating for a solid year

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Spinball was the best Sonic.

Controllers are best for anything that isn't an RTS or a puzzle game. Ergonomics, yo.

Really my only opinion on Final Fantasies is that there needs to be a game where the gambit system is the entire core of the game. I bailed from whichever one that was when I realized it wasn't a huge deal in gameplay. Other than that I've only played 6, which was good, but fine with leaving the series at that. (On that note, what's a pokemon?)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

mouse and keyboard for shooters would be perfect if I could get a force feedback rumble mouse that self-corrected so the rumble didn't affect aim
I only just replaced my early 2000s logitech ifeel rumble mouse, that came with force feedback drivers for ut99 and tribes. firing a machine gun on that thing was nuts but nothing really supports it anymore

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rumble is a nuisance and from hell's heart i stab at nintendo for codifying it as standard controller technology in the 90's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

hi

e: posted by accident before I was finished but okay whatevs

How's everybody doing? I have to go pick up some cat litter but that's about it. Gonna get some rice too, I think.

i had my standard monthly Cry For No Reason and Wish For Death day today