Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Clawtopsy posted:

I took my boyfriend to Shen Yun because he likes Chinese art and everything was really good until it very suddenly wasn't.

Talk about a self-own.

Speaking of Shen Yun. I found out recently that Mike Chen, Strictly Dumpling Youtube guy is from that same religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I feel really ripped off by my Shen Yun experience. There was none of that kind of craziness except for a glowing buddha idol thing defeating some PRC policemen.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I also found out later they are apparently crazy homophobic so taking my boyfriend there was probably a really bad idea!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fojar38 posted:

I know that it's beside the point of your post and that this is highly :spergin: on my part but China is not a world superpower. Frankly it's having a hard time just being a regional power

Casually referencing the PRC as a superpower is implicitly giving the CCP more power outside China than they deserve

i was being sarcastic. i don't think there's actually a dramatic work which fits what i described because i described what's actually happening in china, rn, as far as i understand it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Shen Yun is a religion?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's Falun Gong.

The one I went to in DC had 0 propaganda. Just acrobatics and dance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I feel really ripped off by my Shen Yun experience. There was none of that kind of craziness except for a glowing buddha idol thing defeating some PRC policemen.

quote:

The 2018 and 2019 performances included lyrics and digital displays disparaging atheism and belief in evolution as "deadly ideas" and "born of [sic] the Red Spectre",[16][8] and is a common complaint of attendees of the performance. Reviewers characterized these contents as an "anti-evolution", "religious sermon", and "cult propaganda".[15] Many viewers and reviewers complain about such elements a misrepresentation of the show's content in Shen Yun's advertising, in a way that "feels more like propaganda than straightforwardly presented cultural heritage."[57] Alix Martichoux from Houston Chronicle wrote "For many disgruntled Shen Yun attendees, it's not necessarily that the show itself is bad — though to be fair, some complain it is. Most of the negative reviews were people upset they were blindsided by the political content."[15] Walter Whittemore wrote on The Ledger that "We paid a premium for seats that would provide us an excellent view of Chinese tradition. Instead, we contributed unwittingly to a religious movement that denies evolution and science, claims the earth was inhabited by aliens, demonizes atheists and homosexuals, and condemns mixed marriages."[58] As of April 2019, disparagement of atheism and evolution was still present in the show.[15][16][8] Misrepresentation of content in advertising was also commonly complained by viewers.

Falun Gong-affiliated political propaganda have also been noted as prominent elements. An outstanding case is described by Jia Tolentino from The New Yorker: "Chairman Mao appeared, and the sky turned black; the city in the digital backdrop was obliterated by an earthquake, then finished off by a Communist tsunami. A red hammer and sickle glowed in the center of the wave. [...] a huge, bearded face disappearing in the water, [...] a tsunami with the face of Karl Marx."[16] David Robertson, minister of St. Peter's Free Church in Dundee, Scotland, wrote that although he enjoyed the show, it is "filled with cult messages", writing: "Some of the messages were hardly subtle – not least when the colourful Falun Gong practitioners in the park were beaten up by the black clad villains with the Chinese Communist symbols on their back. Or when a massive (digital) wave with an ominous picture of Karl Marx threatened to overwhelm the city, until the light (in the form of Li Hongzhi, the Falun Gong leader), dispersed it and destroyed him! [...] As soon as it started – with everything inch perfect, and the fake fixed smiles on every dancer and the constant spiritual waffle about 'truthfulness, harmony, compassion and forbearance' I knew that we were in the presence of a religious cult. And so it turned out to be."[8]

So that's what keeps getting advertised on the DC metro lmao

e: Oh I guess they cut that out around here

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is the Supreme Master Shing Hai (sp?) related? there's a vegan restaurant near me which serves "chinese food" and both locations are playing this tv channel from what has to be some kind of cult lead by a charismatic Asian woman? Half the programs are her videocalling her disciples and the other half seem to be incredibly overdramatic stage performances stocked with hollywood vegan elites?

https://suprememastertv.com/en1/ this poo poo. what the gently caress gives.

probably gotta start my own thread on it tbh.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Chomp8645 posted:

Intellectual Property Man. A new hero for the modern world.

I'd rather be visited by Baiju man

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is the Supreme Master Shing Hai (sp?) related? there's a vegan restaurant near me which serves "chinese food" and both locations are playing this tv channel from what has to be some kind of cult lead by a charismatic Asian woman? Half the programs are her videocalling her disciples and the other half seem to be incredibly overdramatic stage performances stocked with hollywood vegan elites?

https://suprememastertv.com/en1/ this poo poo. what the gently caress gives.

probably gotta start my own thread on it tbh.

That was the very first cult I encountered in Asia, they tried to recruit me less than twelve hours after I arrived in Korea. I have their book around here somewhere. No connection to Falun Gong.

Basically if humanity becomes 100% vegan under the Supreme Master's direction then the vegan alien galactic federation will contact us and uplift us into galactic society. Loving Hut is their restaurant chain to support this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veganism is a cult so you might as well have fun with it and make up some poo poo about aliens

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's wild, I ran with a bunch of vegans in Korea and didn't encounter it till I got back home. On the flights over I did get hustled by a hare krishna and i was so befuddled by his overly complex glasses (the whole nose bridge was the pad the glasses rested on? it was like a fuckin cross brace deal) that i ended up giving him a twenty.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Where do white ex pats eat vegan in china? Is there even a word for it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Generally your best bet is Buddhist temple cuisine, every East Asian country has a style of it and it's all vegan. Chengdu had a few vegetarian/vegan restaurants that were good enough I ate at them regularly, one was Bhutanese hot pot, another had all sorts of fake meat things that were super good.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
But is it vegan by western standards?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I mean... it contains no animal products of any sort, so unless "western standards" means something different, yeah.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Now I'm hungry for chinese monk food. *not vegan but I'll eat it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A lot of it is really good. I am also not vegan or vegetarian and would go out for it regularly. Anyone who thinks vegetarian food has to suck hasn't had any experience with Indian or East Asian versions of it. If you're ever over there, a lot of temples have a small restaurant you can try it in.

The only negative to the temple cuisine is some places are the sort of strict where they also don't use any alliums and that's a bridge too far for me. Losing meat and garlic? :yikes:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hope you aren't gluten intolerant though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

McGavin posted:

Hope you aren't gluten intolerant though.

Psure that condition doesn't exist in china.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I mean, how would you even tell if you are more or less tolerant of gluten than any of the other dozen things giving you the runs that day

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Han genes will not allow it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:qq:
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/02/11/denmark-defends-hong-kong-protester-pillar-shame-statue-following-chinese-pressure/

quote:

The note said embassy representatives phoned municipal authorities a day before the sculpture was erected saying that it mispresented the political situation in Hong Kong. They said it would offend Chinese tourists and pose a security risk as a “potential site of conflict,” adding that it would be wise to withdraw the sculpture’s permit.
A spokesperson for the Chinese embassy said in a statement the next day that the artwork sought to damage China’s reputation and hinder its development.

“The right to freedom of expression does not mean one can willfully slander and discredit another country,” they said. “The pace of the Chinese nation’s great rejuvenation is unstoppable. The conspiracy of a few people and anti-China organisation in Denmark is doomed to fail.”
Galschiøt told HKFP that China was within its right to express its disapproval but that it was unprecedented for a foreign government to call for the removal of political artwork.

“I am not surprised that the Chinese Embassy is making a statement. But I marvel at the rhetoric which is very violent and unusually undiplomatic from a [embassy] to a European country,” he said. “It is unreasonable and unheard of for a foreign power [to] decide what [art] to exhibit in the Danish public places.”

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

The pace of the Chinese nation’s great rejuvenation is unstoppable.

They need to find better translators. I don't know how you can mistranslate contagion into rejuvenation.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol ‘freedom of expression shouldn’t be free’. Doublethink IRL.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol ‘freedom of expression shouldn’t be free’. Doublethink IRL.

Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty fuckin' fee.
And if you don't throw in your 五毛
Who will?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

“The right to freedom of expression does not mean one can willfully slander and discredit another country,” they said. “The pace of the Chinese nation’s great rejuvenation is unstoppable. The conspiracy of a few people and anti-China organisation in Denmark is doomed to fail.”

Its kinda amazing how the Chinese government keeps reinforcing its reputation as being composed of oversensitive weenies who think small stuff will cause their government to collapse promptly. There was the danish political cartoon as well a week or so ago.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pharohman777 posted:

Its kinda amazing how the Chinese government keeps reinforcing its reputation as being composed of oversensitive weenies who think small stuff will cause their government to collapse promptly. There was the danish political cartoon as well a week or so ago.

I don't think that they legitimately think that a statue by a hippie artist in front of the Danish parliament is a serious threat to CCP power.

I think it's more about them feeling like king poo poo and trying to excercise their power by intimidating people. This is why they tried to bully the local council, as opposed to anyone with proper authority.

It's also why they are big on threats and small on following through. Coz it's not about the CCP doing things it is about 1) bullying and intimidating people, and 2) hoping that in the future they will self censor, (like blizzard and vans did with no overt CCP influence)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone have something to read that doesn't boil down to "inscrutable China" to explain why the CCP reacts to things like that in ways they know are going to embarrass them, I mean most of them probably have kids and must understand what a petulant temper tantrum looks like and the feelings it creates in whoever is on the receiving end or bystanding, so why do it? I seriously don't get how that particular kind of officially sanctioned impotent rage squares with the other side of Chinese PR where they're creating an image of an hyper-advanced superpower.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not inscrutable but it's a fundamental cultural difference. That isn't seen as whiny or a tantrum. Korea doesn't do it on an official level but they have the same thing where what a westerner considers petulant pants making GBS threads is not at all read that way by the locals. There's not really a why, and not in the joke way. Cultures just view things differently. I don't think you can really understand it not being raised with it as your normal.

Why they always go to 11 is indeed what BrigadierSensible was saying, they want to bully everyone into self-censorship and so far it's worked well.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a question regarding CCP tantrums vs corporations/nations.

How long is their memory on stuff like this? For Example, if you dare not show the 9 dash line on your map, or whatever, are you blackballed from China for eternity, or can you wait until the tantrum subsides, and then just try to quietly get back into the Chinese market and hope they don't notice this time?

Are there any examples anyone can think of?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question regarding CCP tantrums vs corporations/nations.

How long is their memory on stuff like this? For Example, if you dare not show the 9 dash line on your map, or whatever, are you blackballed from China for eternity, or can you wait until the tantrum subsides, and then just try to quietly get back into the Chinese market and hope they don't notice this time?

Are there any examples anyone can think of?

Has there been an example of a well-known western corporation that has not immediately kowtowed to China? I'm sure there must be a few, but none are coming to mind.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Hello, Chinese speakers. Crossposting myself from the PYF products thread out of sheer desperation:

Lawson posted:

Can anybody read this? This is green tea with a pleasant smoke aroma. It was given to me by somebody who traveled to China, but doesn't speak the language. I'd like to find it, or something similar so I can buy some more.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Can you look up the UPC?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

infernal machines posted:

Can you look up the UPC?

Recognized as Chinese, but otherwise no details in any of the databases that show up in a "UPC lookup" google search.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

Has there been an example of a well-known western corporation that has not immediately kowtowed to China? I'm sure there must be a few, but none are coming to mind.

Norway isn't a corporation, but they were allowed to sell fish again after the tantrum ended regarding their choice of pace price winner. IIRC.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I can kinda understand the strategy with companies, they know that it will be an easy win because they react in a predictable way to keep making money. The attitude towards smaller nations as a whole like this thing with Denmark is what seems completely senseless, because there's no way the answer is going to be anything but "lol no", drawing more attention and praise to the artist. I thought it might be for internal propaganda purposes (big daddy China pushing around the hated west! just don't mention the response) but are they really drawing attention to the fact that HK protestors are inspiring artists on the other side of the world in the state media?

I get that it's literally a "no why" situation but my diseased western imperialist brain still finds it amazing that THIS IS KILLING is the default culturally ingrained mode of diplomacy, and I still wonder how it got that way

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Lawson posted:

Hello, Chinese speakers. Crossposting myself from the PYF products thread out of sheer desperation:

Best I can tell from my crappy Chinese and my dad, it's Tuocha or Tuo tea. Googling says it's puerh tea that's been formed into a nest shape, and according to my dad's internet searchings, the name comes from the fact that Yunnan traders would sell that particular shape of tea along the Tuo river in Sichuan province. The package states that tea comes from Yunnan, so it seems to check out.

But you said it was a green tea? If it's puerh, the tea should be amber/orange color, like black tea. Also, I wouldn't say puerh has a smokey flavor, but it's definitely funkier than the usual Oolong or black teas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Blistex posted:

Google leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Clawtopsy posted:

I think it can be summarized as "Oh, cool ballet. This is pretty. Why are is the topic now evolution being evil? Oh no."

Saw flyers for it at the front desk reception this morning. My reaction to it was apparently 'concerning'.