Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Rhyno posted:

Were there really two failed pilots? I was discussing it on FB and someone mentioned a failed attempt before the Nick Stahl version.

One for Fox and one for Hulu with cancelled movie plans between.

First episode buzzed by some otherwise logical cliffhangers to frantically throw poo poo at the wall for twenty minutes and end on... nothing? This show has terrible pacing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm on episode 5 and it's kind of falling apart for me now.

Also Darby Stanchfield is 48 and is 100% believable as the mother of three kids ages 18 and under.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I don’t watch Black Lightening(which I’m going to fix soon) but I’m curious how it handles all the post crisis merging stuff. Has the show addressed that much?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
one of the daughters meets her alternate reality selves and finds out that if she kept on working for the fascist she would *surprise* become a fascist

mainly it just went right back to the pre crossover storyline tho, no major changes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I'm on episode 5 and it's kind of falling apart for me now.

Also Darby Stanchfield is 48 and is 100% believable as the mother of three kids ages 18 and under.

I finished it today and found it enjoyable.

I never read the comic though - someone said it diverged heavily from the source, can someone who did read it give me a quick summary? Spoilers, obviously

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
extremely grain of salt and all that but

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1226710358972194817

quote:

According to Daniel Richtman via his Patreon, there is indeed a Secret Invasion style series in the works that will lead directly into Captain Marvel 2. It’s said to involve the Kree and the Skrulls as well as S.W.O.R.D., which will be introduced in WandaVision.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't Secret Invasion work entirely against the whole point of Captain Marvel 1 though? Like, the big reveal is that no, comics fans, the joke's on you because Skrulls are good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Wouldn't Secret Invasion work entirely against the whole point of Captain Marvel 1 though? Like, the big reveal is that no, comics fans, the joke's on you because Skrulls are good.

Eh it wouldn't be that hard to have a small splinter group that are the baddies, like the kree are finally willing to do peace talks but some skrulls are just so mad about all the genocide that they want to do some back. It would still kind of undercut the message of the first film but not all the way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Considering that Fury in Far From Home talked about Kree sleeper cells, and that at least some Kree can pass for human, who says it's the Skrulls doing the invading?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SWORD without Brand and Beast being extremely horny just won't be the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Considering that Fury in Far From Home talked about Kree sleeper cells, and that at least some Kree can pass for human, who says it's the Skrulls doing the invading?

That's a great idea. Most of the Kree we've seen have been total dicks.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

Were there really two failed pilots? I was discussing it on FB and someone mentioned a failed attempt before the Nick Stahl version.

There were two, one for Fox in 2011 and one for Hulu in 2017. Nick Stahl was in the former.

The Hulu pilot has never been publicly screened anywhere and probably never will be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, the Stahl one was that long ago?

I feel old.

Edit: oh poo poo, it was Kurtzman and Orci.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 10, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

S.W.O.R.D. being in Wandavision goes a long way towards explaining why Darcy is there. After all, she was an astronomy student in 2011, she could be a scientist agent by now.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
secret invasion, but the government are the bad guys conducting a violent witch hunt for skrull families just trying to live in peace incognito on earth

have the government's poo poo shill heroes like US Agent act as fake patriot avengers vs whoever's in the budget among the regular avengers (who are technically breaking the law to defend the immigrant skrulls), get a little dark reign with it

edit: this would be a juicy plan for introducing hulkling

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 11, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Darcy is either a Skrull or Kree sleeper agent. Heard it here first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Her being a Skrull might explain why she's so obnoxious. Like she dosed up on pop culture and is trying way too hard to fit in?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Her being a Skrull might explain why she's so obnoxious. Like she dosed up on pop culture and is trying way too hard to fit in?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, after Tom Hiddleston, Kat Dennings is the best thing about the first two Thor films.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I’ll throw in Ned being a Skrull just for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ll throw in Ned being a Skrull just for you.

He wants his character to go full evil and become the Hobgoblin (guess he didn't read all of the Wiki) which means his character dies in a dirty NY hotel room.

I'm okay with this.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the hobgoblin being a hosed up skrull would be a neat explanation for his appearance

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Going from Spider-Man having to deal with Iron-Man's bullshit into Spider-Man having to deal with Captain Marvel's bullshit does have a sense of continuity to it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

He wants his character to go full evil and become the Hobgoblin (guess he didn't read all of the Wiki) which means his character dies in a dirty NY hotel room.

I'm okay with this.
Berlin hotel room. :colbert:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I do worry a little that jacob batalon in goblin/skrull makeup would look like a ballsack, but I won't let that stop me from thinking about it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Berlin hotel room. :colbert:

Killed by the Foreigner's agents, right?

(I believe he was foreign.)

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1227370333927174144

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

very underrated actress, I’m down with this. Had a feeling she’d join the MCU sooner or later

Enchantress, maybe? Could really be any character if they’re bringing the TVA in

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 12, 2020

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Barry Convex posted:

very underrated actress, I’m down with this. Had a feeling she’d join the MCU sooner or later

Enchantress, maybe? Could really be any character if they’re bringing the TVA in

God I hope so, she'd be wasted on anything less.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
legends: i am exhausted nora

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

God I hope so, she'd be wasted on anything less.

Sera? Angela? Brand?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Codependent Poster posted:

Sera? Angela? Brand?

I would not consider these "less" necessarily, Brand I would even say is a better role. I just don't want to see her play a random human cop in the 70s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, after Tom Hiddleston, Kat Dennings is the best thing about the first two Thor films.

As a condemnation of the movies, I agree.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm guessing by all the distinct lack of Locke and Key talk it's not a reason to re-up Netflix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I'm guessing by all the distinct lack of Locke and Key talk it's not a reason to re-up Netflix.

It's very much a show.

I didn't hate it but it's not amazing and it's got a lot of teen romance bullshit and barely any of the body and mind horror the comic had.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked it a lot, but the comic is better, yeah.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What's the age range like in it? From the trailer thought about watching it with my kid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh, late teens at the youngest, I think.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Retro Futurist posted:

What's the age range like in it? From the trailer thought about watching it with my kid

We watched it with our 10 year old. It was mostly fine for him, but he's watched a fair amount of thrillers/horror. There was a moment where a younger child gets killed by the bad guy that upset him a bit. But you'll have to make the call for your own kid based on what they watch. Common Sense Media says 13/14+. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/locke-key

It is nowhere near as graphic in any way as the comic. We all liked it. I liked some things better than the books and some things a little less.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Netflix, Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts is based on a webcomic*, and it's cool and good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UHUbpFTtY

*That ended after 30 pages because someone from Dreamworks saw it and told the guy 'you should make a show out of this', but it still counts, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kipo was great